Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 22, 2012 9:31 AM

Mar 2012
InabaMegu said:
uhm.. i was like "WUTT JUST HAPPEN WITH MY INABA!?"
uhm i don't know why,, i just kinda dislike Iori
since she's grabbing all the attention because of her sad past and a vulnerable type ish :/

so i'm kinda rotting for Inaba X Taichi which is NEVER gonna happen

You don't like Iori because she's moe. Wut.
Jul 22, 2012 10:05 AM
Jan 2012
Very interesting! With each passing episode, I always rewatch the OP/ED, analyzing their meaning. Should we be taking them straight-forward, where they appear to really be pushing the Taichi-Iori element...or do we take into account the whole body swap factor, and not make any assumptions on who is doing what to who?

OP:
The whole hand grab thing at the end of the opening. The order as it pans across is Inaba, Iori, Taichi. Then Taichi goes for the grab...but it doesn't seem in his character to do this, so far. Is it then "Iori" (or Inaba) as Taichi grabbing "Taichi"'s hand as Iori...or maybe even Aoki grabbing Yui's hand?

In addition, they show "Taichi" looking to his right, and then grabbing A hand, which we assume to be "Iori". But this is not shown explicitly, they just show 2 hands. Who went to grab who's hand is still a mystery, especially with body swaps.

Regardless, I cannot take the OP straightforwardly on the surface. The creators be trollin (maybe)...

ED:
I have no doubt that the majority of the ending has Iori in her own body. It's at the end of the ending when they are passing light balls that it starts getting confusing who is who...with the characters changing positions, do you assume they switch with the person they switched positions with (i.e Taich and Iori swapped positions) or do consciousnesses swap separate of the body positions (i.e Iori swapped positions with Taichi, but Inaba's consciousness swapped with Iori's) Ah confusing!!!

I think the opening and ending are meant to be taken straightforward, but I still have a feeling that some things aren't what they appear on the surface, like Taichi's character going for the hand grab. Something may be afoot, but probably not...
Jul 22, 2012 1:11 PM

Oct 2011
Even though I don't like K-on faces this anime is enjoyable ; D.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2012 1:25 PM

Mar 2008
Someone actually made a relationship chart of the characters as of the latest development for those interested. WARNING SPOILERS!!!
Jul 22, 2012 1:30 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, the drama is pretty damn convincing, I didn't expect that at all.

Romance wise I'm not shipping any pair, there is just no way to predict something like that when they switch bodies, their feelings might change.

I wonder what Iori and her mother talked about, is she perhaps leaving Iori alone? I would be surprised if we really did learn just what the hell is going on with her next episode.
Jul 22, 2012 2:38 PM

Jul 2011
Oh man, this episode just shot down the Taichi/Yui couple, too early in the season for them to actually resolve Yui's problem. It probably means Yui is going to get sidelined. It seems like Himeko is going to be the implied "main" woman. Iori will probably snap before then and her "problems" will be solved, leaving Inaba to be the ending's damsel in distress.

I want a Taichi and Yui ending though. She seems to be the most agreeable chick in the series, the happy medium between the other two. Screw the other guy, he's a douche anyway.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Jul 22, 2012 2:48 PM
May 2010
Aww, this show keeps surpassing my expectations. I wonder how long it will last.
Jul 22, 2012 4:04 PM

Sep 2011
yosh! i memorized taichi's name >:) ....4 names left =__=
this anime got me by surprise :o i never expect it to be this good :O<3
Jul 22, 2012 4:09 PM
Apr 2009
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
yosh! i memorized taichi's name >:) ....4 names left =__=
this anime got me by surprise :o i never expect it to be this good :O<3

Just rewatch the episodes again, that should help.
Jul 22, 2012 5:37 PM

Jan 2012
He was correct, it was just as painful to watch.
Jul 22, 2012 5:45 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed this episode, i just can't stop wondering what kind of sufferings Iori and Yui is experiencing,specially Iori, I've got a feeling that she might make us cry with her life story.. and now Nagase collapsed, does she have a health problem? Or is there something she worries about? Can't wait for the next episode..
Jul 22, 2012 6:10 PM

Mar 2012
Since when does "kick them in the balls" cure an irrational fear of males due to almost getting raped? They totally underplayed that problem. Makes it seem as if they threw in the rape bit last minute, just because they needed an explanation. It also felt quite out of place when Inaba got all serious, there was no need to. On top of all that, the "strong silent" one mysteriously collapses. Generic melodrama, really.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 22, 2012 7:29 PM

Aug 2008
Nice episode! This is a series totally different than what I expected :O
Jul 22, 2012 7:32 PM

Mar 2012
Post-Josh said:
Since when does "kick them in the balls" cure an irrational fear of males due to almost getting raped? They totally underplayed that problem. Makes it seem as if they threw in the rape bit last minute, just because they needed an explanation. It also felt quite out of place when Inaba got all serious, there was no need to. On top of all that, the "strong silent" one mysteriously collapses. Generic melodrama, really.

Nice drop.

Maybe Yui's problem isn't as serious as you're imagining it is as she was able to hide it well enough. After all, different people react to traumatic experiences in different ways, and we don't even know the exact circumstances of the rape attempt. Also, I was under the impression that she wasn't "cured" as much as simply set on the right track.

Generic melodrama is not incorrect, but I'm liking this considerably more than the beginning of Clannad, which could also be aptly termed "generic melodrama."

What's wrong with Inaba collapsing?
Jul 22, 2012 8:36 PM

Oct 2011
Post-Josh said:

An irrationnal fear can be cured easily, or can't, it's pretty random. And her problem was not the rape attempt in itself : she believed she was strong and able to face this kind of situation, but she was not, she was totaly unable to defend herself against males. And that was her true problem. She don't fear mean because they are lustfull beast that want to rape her, she fear men because they are stronger than her.

Taichi has make her experience how she can defend herself against male

The keyword is experience : it's not just something theorical

Without the body swap, this would have probably not been sufficent : like she experienced her own weakness, she experienced the males weakness. If she just kicked someone in the balls, she wouldn't have know what kind of pain it really is.
Jul 22, 2012 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
Really good episode. Jeez, they weren't kidding when they said "love pentagon". I really have no idea who will end up with who at this point. I'm glad to see this series really is character driven. It's turning out to be more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Random Inaba collapse there at the end. I wonder what just happened to her?
Jul 22, 2012 9:39 PM

Mar 2012
ataraxial said:
Post-Josh said:

Nice drop.

Maybe Yui's problem isn't as serious as you're imagining it is as she was able to hide it well enough. After all, different people react to traumatic experiences in different ways, and we don't even know the exact circumstances of the rape attempt. Also, I was under the impression that she wasn't "cured" as much as simply set on the right track.

Generic melodrama is not incorrect, but I'm liking this considerably more than the beginning of Clannad, which could also be aptly termed "generic melodrama."

Drop? Did you say dubstep? I don't know, maybe Jinrui has turned me into a hater of all else.

The way Yui described it sounded pretty serious to me, so I didn't like how they just brushed it off. I had an ex that went through a similar thing, and it was really tough on her, so perhaps I'm basing it too heavily on that experience. Also in that scene, and I have a similar gripe with Rendezvous, I hate how they sensationalize being "the nice guy". Taichi just sweet talks people and the rest of the cast treats him like some sort of a patron saint, lol.

Clannad certainly has generic melodrama as well, although I was less acute to it when I saw it, since it was probably the first drama I watched.

The reason I didn't like Inaba collapsing was, besides people collapsing being a cheap trick to emotionally involve viewers, because of her character. To maximize the tragic nature of a health problem it has to happen to the strong, hardworking, thoughtful, least deserving character. It's always tragic when the one character without a prominent character flaw is the one with health concerns. There's nothing inherently wrong with using this idea, but when it's so obviously employed it shows the writing quality isn't there, and it's harder to take the show seriously.
LoneWolf said:
Jul 22, 2012 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
I don't remember ever wanted to give a high score so bad to an anime before XD,, in fact, I didn't care about giving score at all, it's bothersome and I didn't feel it would worth my time.. eventhough there were some show that I really enjoyed and sure are outstanding, I still didn't care about giving a score.

But Kokoro Connect sure is something else! Epic, funny, genius, pleasing, and interesting, really interesting! Ouch, I hope I don't praise this show too much :P. The only lack I could see is about that "Balloon Vine" who was taken possession of Gotou body. But then, whatever, it's something to do with supranatural thing and I will take that only as an information about being that has something to do with their switching bodies.

Oh yeah, talking about switching bodies, I think they should give some thought about it. I mean, what would you normally think if you found yourself suddenly not in your "real" body? Firstly, of course you would go "WTF??" and panicked. This anime already showed how the way it goes, but the next one is about talking to "yourself", come on, that just crazy! At least, if it was me, I would stop for a second and think, "Wait a minute! I'm talking to myself? So, this is how other people see me.. So, this is how I actually looked.." Kokoro Connect didn't showed how this last one goes, I don't know if it's not really a matter, but at least that's what I thought.

While the OP has happy melody, the ED has sad melody. I especially like how they put the preview before the ED, the drama-meter really picked up high with that! That's why I called this anime is genius! It makes me want to watch the next episode even more, and the sad melody the ED has makes me hope for happy story.
I haven't read the novel, but since this story has little romance in it, I really hope the best and happy end for them all.

9/10 is the lowest that it can get from me. Looking forward for next episode!
Jul 23, 2012 12:09 AM

Jan 2011
That collapse, another problem to be 'cured'?
I'm looking forward to more, this is getting pretty interesting.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 23, 2012 12:13 AM
Jul 2012
Just a question, did anyone notice the clothes change that taichi did in yui's body when he went to meet yui at the park? Just found that kind of weird.
Jul 23, 2012 1:54 AM

Jun 2012
Great episode. I didn't expect much from this series, but now we are learning the consequences and benefits of swapping bodies. However, I still get confused with the names when they switch (since some use first names and others use last names), and the episode didn't get all too exciting. I also am really enjoying the character art styles, which makes a big difference for me. This series is pretty good so far, although still feels in the early stage and sort of plain.
4/5 (although I accidentally rated 5/5).

Jul 23, 2012 2:23 AM

May 2011
Najuyi said:
Just a question, did anyone notice the clothes change that taichi did in yui's body when he went to meet yui at the park? Just found that kind of weird.

Yui probably already had her clothes set out on a hanger for the next day. I'm not sure about underwear though. It would have been funny if Yui freaked out after switching back when she noticed she wasn't wearing any underwear and kicked Taichi in the nads again.

I think Ibara was BSing Taichi about Iori being the weakest. I think Ibara can't handle the stress of not being in control of a situation. They make it so obvious that Ibara fears what is happening to them all and that it could make permanent scars. I wouldn't be surprised if her collapsing was from fatigue of not being able to rest and relax.

The other obvious theory is that a switch occurred and Iori is in Ibara. Iori might be breaking down from the fallout with the meeting with her mother. It must be serious when you see Iori give back that fake "whatever you want mother" ganbatte smile towards her mom.

I'm really enjoying the series so far. The drama is pretty good and the subtle comedy is amusing.
Jul 23, 2012 3:00 AM

Oct 2010
Kung-Fu-Jesus said:
Someone actually made a relationship chart of the characters as of the latest development for those interested. WARNING SPOILERS!!!
Well you can bet with your spoiler it's Iori for me. So far Inaba is really the lowest in interest for me and she needs attitude adjustment.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 23, 2012 6:32 AM

Feb 2008
The show keeps getting better.
Jul 23, 2012 7:42 AM

Mar 2012
Post-Josh said:
ataraxial said:
Post-Josh said:

Nice drop.

Drop? Did you say dubstep? I don't know, maybe Jinrui has turned me into a hater of all else.

The way Yui described it sounded pretty serious to me, so I didn't like how they just brushed it off. I had an ex that went through a similar thing, and it was really tough on her, so perhaps I'm basing it too heavily on that experience. Also in that scene, and I have a similar gripe with Rendezvous, I hate how they sensationalize being "the nice guy". Taichi just sweet talks people and the rest of the cast treats him like some sort of a patron saint, lol.

Clannad certainly has generic melodrama as well, although I was less acute to it when I saw it, since it was probably the first drama I watched.

The reason I didn't like Inaba collapsing was, besides people collapsing being a cheap trick to emotionally involve viewers, because of her character. To maximize the tragic nature of a health problem it has to happen to the strong, hardworking, thoughtful, least deserving character. It's always tragic when the one character without a prominent character flaw is the one with health concerns. There's nothing inherently wrong with using this idea, but when it's so obviously employed it shows the writing quality isn't there, and it's harder to take the show seriously.

Dubstep indeed.

Yup, I do recall having a discussion about personal biases not too long ago. I think most of us know someone who has gone through something similar, and we all have different ideas about what types of responses and "cures" are realistic.

Someone mentioned above that Yui's issue was exlusively about how she thought that she would be able to defend herself but wasn't able to and had to run away. In that way, it's not an entirely irrational fear since it's based on perceived differences in strength - she's scared because she wants to be strong but sees herself as being weak when compared to men. So allowing her to experience a kick in the balls is helpful because it brings her perceived notions of male strength down to a more manageable level.

I think it's too early to tell where the writers are going with the Inaba fainting scenario. It could be that someone switched bodies with her and it's not her fainting at all. It could be that there's some other supernatural phenomena involved, perhaps with Balloon Vine. Or it could be Inaba herself - but even then it doesn't have to be a sickness. And finally, even if it is a case of "the strong character being given an obvious flaw," they have plenty of space to handle it in a graceful and satisfying manner.

Considering that you haven't dropped Tari Tari yet, I think you're not giving Kokoro Connect enough of a chance.
Jul 23, 2012 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
ataraxial said:
Considering that you haven't dropped Tari Tari yet, I think you're not giving Kokoro Connect enough of a chance.

I only like Tari Tari marginally more, so I suppose that's true. I know that I've completed many a show on par or worse than Kokoro Connect, but I feel like I'm at my temporary limit of shows that set out to be average. Really, my mistake was in starting it in the first place, given the synopsis. Maybe once I crank through another 10-20 interesting shows, I'll be in the mood for some school setting slice of life.
LoneWolf said:
Jul 23, 2012 9:30 AM

Mar 2012
Post-Josh said:
ataraxial said:

I only like Tari Tari marginally more, so I suppose that's true. I know that I've completed many a show on par or worse than Kokoro Connect, but I feel like I'm at my temporary limit of shows that set out to be average. Really, my mistake was in starting it in the first place, given the synopsis. Maybe once I crank through another 10-20 interesting shows, I'll be in the mood for some school setting slice of life.

Fair enough.
The synopsis for Kokoro Connect makes it seem a lot worse than it actually is though.
Jul 23, 2012 11:47 AM
May 2009
I want to watch the next episode, NOW!!!
Jul 23, 2012 12:21 PM

Oct 2011
I am SO pleased with this Anime! It turned out much better then I initially thought. One of my favorites this seasons for sure!~
Jul 23, 2012 1:20 PM

Feb 2009
Post-Josh said:

Exactly. I kind of hate this show atm for portraying this so terribly.
Jul 23, 2012 3:25 PM

May 2012
Do they not give the advice about kicking men in the balls freely in Japan or something? Or does it just not happen often? Because I think I knew that when I was seven or eight.
I love the fact that they switched back and he had to feel the paint. So perfect.
Jul 23, 2012 3:41 PM
Jul 2011
Poor Taichi and his testicles.. That scene with Tai and blondey wasn't all that good.. lowering the score.
Jul 23, 2012 4:06 PM

Nov 2010
5/5 for this episode.

This anime really has been an enormously positive surprise and no episode has disappointed yet. I remember reading the synopsis and thinking this'd be stupid, lame and easily forgettable but I was wrong in every way.

It's very funny when it has to be, mixes up good bits of drama and has been developing the characters very well with each passing episode.

Seriously, what a surprise this was...
Jul 23, 2012 7:09 PM
Jun 2012
I love it how the title of this episode is "Jobber and Low Blow" and then Taichi proceeds to play both of those roles at the same time. :D

Also, the cellphone scene was perfect.
Jul 23, 2012 8:01 PM

Jun 2012
Today I learned Iori is voiced by Yui from K-ON!...
Jul 23, 2012 8:08 PM

Mar 2012
kurosaki_kabuto said:
5/5 for this episode.

This anime really has been an enormously positive surprise and no episode has disappointed yet. I remember reading the synopsis and thinking this'd be stupid, lame and easily forgettable but I was wrong in every way.

It's very funny when it has to be, mixes up good bits of drama and has been developing the characters very well with each passing episode.

Seriously, what a surprise this was...

We need to get that synopsis fixed, for one.
Jul 23, 2012 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
I didn't like the series at first but it's getting pretty awesome now. The dark part of the show is a bit...dark. LOL
My rating for Aoki went up this episode, while for Himeko, I don't like her as much. Maybe because she reminds me of myself. =P
Jul 24, 2012 3:23 AM
Nov 2011
yui was happy that taichi was capable of hitting his balls to comfort her, after that men appeared less scary to her, but of course the problem is not solved, there is nothing that can cure this thing but time
Jul 24, 2012 5:46 AM

Jan 2012
This show is top notch. It actually explores the realistic side of mind swapping. It makes you actually think and I like that alot. 5/5.
huehue93Jul 24, 2012 5:49 AM
Jul 24, 2012 12:57 PM

Mar 2012
Woah Taichi, you're the man truly lol. So I guess Taichi will also become a saviour for the 2 left females.
Keep moving forward
Jul 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Jun 2007
there's just something about light hearted turned dark, or dark turned light hearted that always catches me off guard, and makes me love shows like this.

definitely this and jinrui wa are my favourite this season. two shows that only caught my eye because of the art, and no expectations whatsoever (knew little about jinrui, and kokoro seemed dull)

but it's good that both shows have proven themselves worthy, even this early on. usually shows tend to pick up rather late. in here, i am not sure how long the show is going to last for, but i am going to guess a 2 cour season. this being because most shows like this tend to last that long. that said, i do not believe the pace is too fast. considering everyone has problems, thats 5 people's problems who should be solved, plus introduction, and main plot. that would leave about 2 episodes per person. obviously, not everyone's problem is as deep, maybe it'd take longer to show and solve. hints were dropped about yui, and taichi has solved it. bunching up everyone's problems at the same time would have been an obviously bad choice, since too high of a climax with nothing to push the show forward would let quality drop. that said, yui's main problem might be solved, but it's clearly going to lead into more problems (other than other people's past problems). and someone had to break first anyways. or at least, someone's problem had to show up. usually most superficial one due to body switching. so with all that blabber said, the pacing is just right imo.

moving onto theories. inaba collapsed because iori switched with her, meaning iori was at collapsing point due to either her problems piling up and exploding with jealousy? or simply lack of taking care of herself, like said in the preview. now, this could also apply to inaban, but i don't see her as the very emotional type, or the type that would forsaken her health. she's shown very self protective sides to herself, and i believe she doesn't want the group to break in order to keep herself from showing her weakness and breaking herself.don't get me wrong, i think she still worries, but like she's expressed, she can only fully trust herself.

going onto ships.... nope, im not going there, im going to let the anime impress me on that. although it's kind of obvious iori and taichi are going to end up together.
Jul 24, 2012 3:10 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
As for me, I'm not ready to say Yui's problem has been solved, more like she's been given the push she needs to work it out herself. When she was later trying to be chummy with Taichi it seemed overly exaggerated, as if it was forced. Not willing to call that being comfortable around guys just yet.

Also, I still think that was Inaba in Inaba's body that collapse.
Jul 24, 2012 7:02 PM

Aug 2010
Amazing episode, 5/5. This show just keeps on getting better.
Jul 25, 2012 3:01 AM

Jul 2011
Awww!! >_< I can't wait for the next episode!!!
Jul 25, 2012 12:59 PM

Apr 2012
great episode. I hope this anime has 2X episodes
Jul 25, 2012 4:40 PM

Jul 2011
Surprisingly, really good.
Jul 25, 2012 10:38 PM

Feb 2010
This is great, especially this episode~
Taichi really knows how to treat a friend.
Jul 26, 2012 2:10 AM

May 2010
This might really turn into a love pentagon.
Jul 28, 2012 10:03 AM

Jun 2009
Not really happy with how the "rape" issue was used here, but since Yui's hand was shaking when she faked punched Taichi I'm hoping they aren't going to just sweep it under the carpet like that. I'm pretty sure it's something one doesn't just "Get over" just like that. It just felt kind of cheap to me. I hope the series proves me wrong.

Otherwise, a pretty good episode. Nothing particularly impressive though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 28, 2012 7:09 PM
Apr 2010
I've enjoyed the other episodes of this show, but I was really disappointed by how easily they confirmed Yui's issues and then "solved" then within like 10 minutes. If they want to make some drama they need to have it actually last a believable amount of time... this was just pathetic.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokoro Connect Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2012

336 by Hiroko_Takashiro »»
Apr 25, 6:30 PM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

369 by bakakisima »»
Mar 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2012

212 by bakakisima »»
Mar 9, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

193 by _untitled »»
Feb 19, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2012

294 by _untitled »»
Feb 17, 3:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.