Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 21, 2012 7:49 PM

Jul 2008
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't this whole thing be sorted out by an EMP? Are these people retarded or something?

Other than that still an entertaining show.

Can't.
If they freeze the servers for a X amount of time, the internal battery will execute everyone. If you try to remove the Never gear or it's internal battery in any way, it'll execute the player.
There's nothing they can do.

Mastermind995 said:
Its true that SAO LN is a lot better but in the anime,the whole 8 volumes of the novel are in chronological order which is far better.
The episode was surprisingly better than i expected.

On the opposite, the anime is trying to follow a semblance of chronological order while the novels do not, at least not for the first arc.
Jul 21, 2012 7:50 PM

Feb 2009
Would have been better if it wasn't rush; you knew this was going to happen. Have anyone played a game and not die a few time before you beat it?
Jul 21, 2012 7:51 PM

Jun 2008
PhoenixIce said:
ZeRoShadow said:
Am I the only person who liked this episode without having to mention the word "rushed"? Yes I've read the Light Novel and no I'm not complaining. Basically provided background info for the future episodes and isn't that the main point?

Except if they were able to get 50 episodes for SAO then it would've definitely been a masterpiece and actual top 10 of all times.

Having 20ish episodes is very limiting thus removing a lot of important information and development from the LN.

That is completely true its because its most likely going to be 20 something episodes that they had to do it like this hence why I'm pretty content with this.

Jul 21, 2012 7:53 PM

Jul 2011
MaxCrazy7 said:
Would have been better if it wasn't rush; you knew this was going to happen. Have anyone played a game and not die a few time before you beat it?

Well I managed to clear Diablo 3 on normal without dying. But on the other difficulties........

Jul 2008
MaxCrazy7 said:

Sure did but this is a very classic mmorpg if you remove the VR thing so I guess it's hardly possible.

Jul 2009
Maddo_scientisto said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't this whole thing be sorted out by an EMP? Are these people retarded or something?

Can't.
If they freeze the servers for a X amount of time, the internal battery will execute everyone. If you try to remove the Never gear or it's internal battery in any way, it'll execute the player.

Yes there is. An EMP simply fries all electronic equipment within a certain area. With a small scale EMP blast they can simply destroy the NerveGear without ever touching it, or harming the user. Geez. -_-
Jul 21, 2012 7:55 PM

Feb 2010
kamikaze_1996 said:
Redfoxoffire said:
ScarletMuse said:
Then...you see him view the item information... then cry out...like pure emotional screaming....Kirito... T_T

What was he expecting? You die in the game, you die for real. I don't know how long it had been since the ambush, but, assuming I didn't already know about the 10 second thing, I would assume an hour max before the person's real-life death. And if she'd been dead in real life for any longer than a day, how the hell was he thinking she could be saved?

he went crazy after sachi's death and keita's suicide, if you had a chance to revive someone who you cared about, you would take it no matter how small it may be, even if it is unlikely or seems impossible, you will still cling on to that shred of hope, thats essentially what kirito was doing although the anime didn't portray that as well as the LN

also who knows what might have happened to her body, she might have her memories saved into the server or something, if you are inside the game how can be sure of whats happening on the outside

Maybe...
Jul 21, 2012 7:56 PM

Feb 2012
Maddo_scientisto said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't.

Mastermind995 said:
Its true that SAO LN is a lot better but in the anime,the whole 8 volumes of the novel are in chronological order which is far better.
The episode was surprisingly better than i expected.

On the opposite, the anime is trying to follow a semblance of chronological order while the novels do not, at least not for the first arc.

Nah in reality you could use a small EMP to deactivate the device or even fry the device so it would no longer works battery and, all.

Sep 2011
I wish there was more development shown. It just seemed awkward, he said he'd protect Sachi a few times and then they're suddenly best friends. It was way too rushed. Plus, I don't like how the main character is getting a little gloomy at points. I understand his life is on the line, but he is pushing away too many people. Oh, and I wish there was more depth to his character. He seems a little bland: we don't know much about him other than the fact that he likes games and is a "beater." He doesn't have any real defining characteristics.

The plot is great - but the pacing of it makes me feel like this is going to be a 12 episode series.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."

Jan 2012
Next episode we meet

As a reader of the novel I feel that although to an extent, it felt rushed, but I still felt that it did justice to the actual story. All the main points were conveyed. I see where many people are coming from when they say they felt no sense of attachment to Sachi; but if if you've read the novels, you'll come to realise just how much that event impacted on Kirito. I shed a few tears (I let it go easy LOL), and it felt good.

On a side note, adaptions are barely ever capable of putting in EVERYTHING from the source material so all the complaints are unnecessary.
Jul 21, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2011
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

an emp would fry all the circuits but who knows what might happen if you tried, the nerve gear might be able to detect any damage done to it and fry the brain immediately and kayaba (outside) might threaten to activate them all at once if they attempted to do so, you could end up killing 10,000 people trying to pull of a stunt like that and even worse an emp at the heart of japan where electronic are everywhere would destroy the economy and infrastructure, also there are hostpital patients that require electricity for life support, and people with pacemakers might be affected and essentially killed, its waay too much of a risk
Jul 21, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2012
Electromaster said:
Maddo_scientisto said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't.

Yes there is. An EMP simply fries all electronic equipment within a certain area. With a small scale EMP blast they can simply destroy the NerveGear without ever touching it, or harming the user. Geez. -_-

Eh, an EMP... hmmm, I never thought of that even though I use that term everyday.

Anyways, I felt like the episode was extremely rushed in comparison to the ln but I'm sure everyone else has these feelings so I won't say anymore about the topic. What I don't understand is why Keita could ever blame Kirito for their guild's demise. If it weren't for Kirito they would have been killed off by some mobs even earlier so Keita should be thanking Kirito for prolonging their lives.
Jul 21, 2012 7:59 PM

Feb 2012
Maddo_scientisto said:
Andyis said:
They should learn to accept death and overcome it. It's basically like getting transported into a medieval age as you can eat, sleep and die. I wonder if kirito is the strongest player? they really should have a ranking system to check but I'm sure he is

He isn't.

Jul 21, 2012 8:00 PM

Jul 2008
Electromaster said:
Maddo_scientisto said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't.

This still isn't safe as long as they do not find Kayaba.
Kayaba took the time to warn them, let's say they save a few people with that method, he'll still be in a position to execute the rest with just a click of a button.

The only possible method would be to freeze the server and at the same time use a small scale EMP so that every single player is touched by it (The game is widespread in all Japan iirc) so that they manage to save everyone under a minute mark.
If that's technically possible, that's not realisticly possible at all and would require a huge ammount of funds, planning and such.

You underestimate the situation, if they were in a position to do anything they would have done it. The fact that they do not do anything should convey the feeling that nothing can be done so it's useless to speculate about every single possibility: It can't be done, period.
Jul 21, 2012 8:00 PM

Mar 2011
Electromaster said:
Maddo_scientisto said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

Can't.

I'm not so sure that it will not harm the user... (from what I read in wikipedia)
Jul 21, 2012 8:01 PM

Jul 2009
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

an emp would fry all the circuits but who knows what might happen if you tried, the nerve gear might be able to detect any damage done to it and fry the brain immediately and kayaba (outside) might threaten to activate them all at once if they attempted to do so, you could end up killing 10,000 people trying to pull of a stunt like that and even worse an emp at the heart of japan where electronic are everywhere would destroy the economy and infrastructure, also there are hostpital patients that require electricity for life support, and people with pacemakers might be affected and essentially killed, its waay too much of a risk

That's why you use small-scale. One house at the time if needed. It could be accomplished.
As for Kabaya, where's that fucker anyway? I didn't read the LN so I don't know, but after all this time, didn't they arrest him already? Is he even alive? I just figured he's dead and the game is run automatically...
Also apparently every hacker ever is useless.
Jul 21, 2012 8:01 PM

Feb 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

You pretty much nailed why they aren't trying to help SAO victims there is simply no way to tell how kayaba will react to it not to mention if they mess up or something doesn't go as planned then the patient will die ( most likely )
Jul 21, 2012 8:02 PM

Feb 2012
Electromaster said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

That's why you use small-scale. One house at the time if needed. It could be accomplished.
As for Kabaya, where's that fucker anyway? I didn't read the LN so I don't know, but after all this time, didn't they arrest him already? Is he even alive? I just figured he's dead and the game is run automatically...

If you want to know where he is then read the spoiler

Jul 21, 2012 8:05 PM

Jul 2008
Electromaster said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

What Midnight said.

Also Kayaba is a genius, the best programmer/hacker/engineer in the world, having created SAO and the nerve gear is proof of that.
Nobody can beat him when it come to a hacking game, the moment they would even try he'll kill people to make them back off.
Jul 21, 2012 8:08 PM

Jul 2012
MidnightPride said:
Maddo_scientisto said:
Andyis said:
They should learn to accept death and overcome it. It's basically like getting transported into a medieval age as you can eat, sleep and die. I wonder if kirito is the strongest player? they really should have a ranking system to check but I'm sure he is

He isn't.

LunaJul 21, 2012 9:08 PM
Jul 21, 2012 8:11 PM

Jan 2010
The feels, they hurt...
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Jul 21, 2012 8:12 PM

Jul 2009
Multiple minds always work better than one [no one's that smart, really], but whatever. I accept the argument about him threatening by killing people.
Nevertheless though, with Kabaya holding thousands of people hostage, he's definitely world's most wanted. And during a period of multiple months, the entire world's police, secret services, and armies haven't been able to find a single jerk? Go get yourselves an L, incompetent fools! =w=

As for the dangers of an EMP, here's a video:
Jul 21, 2012 8:15 PM

Jul 2011
Electromaster said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

even small scale emp's are very hard to produce and control, emps use up a very large amount of energy and to do that for thousands of players will be very expensive, also like i said with kayaba around he could just threaten to kill the users and make them back off

kayaba is a genius who invented SAO and Nerve gear, he definitely came up with counter measures and is most likely in hiding, enough said, im not even gonna put in a spoiler tag on what he's doing and where he is
Jul 21, 2012 8:16 PM

Feb 2012
Electromaster said:
Multiple minds always work better than one [no one's that smart, really], but whatever. I accept the argument about him threatening by killing people.
Nevertheless though, with Kabaya holding thousands of people hostage, he's definitely world's most wanted. And during a period of multiple months, the entire world's police, secret services, and armies haven't been able to find a single jerk? Go get yourselves an L, incompetent fools! =w=

As for the dangers of an EMP, here's a video:

It would actually just be japan I doubt CIA / FBI or SIS would be involved at all.
Jul 21, 2012 8:18 PM

May 2011
...DAMN, I want to cry every time I read or watch this one.
Jul 21, 2012 8:18 PM

Jul 2009
Yeah, cause generally no one in the world cares when there's a crisis involving thousands of people going on. USA totally didn't help Japan out after the earthquakes, either!

Oh wait. =w=
Jul 21, 2012 8:19 PM

Jul 2011
hey hey, you gotta remember that it took years of the USA to find binladin in his own house, also you can expect kayaba to be smart enough to know how to hide, also he might have been planning this for years, he wont get caught so easily, also he might not even be alone in this
Jul 21, 2012 8:21 PM

Feb 2012
Electromaster said:
Yeah, cause generally no one in the world cares when there's a crisis involving thousands of people going on. USA totally didn't help Japan out after the earthquakes, either!

Oh wait. =w=

Thats not my point it's more that the japanese government is rather incompetent
Jul 21, 2012 8:22 PM
Sep 2009
Well, this episode knocked my opinion of this show down considerably. The pacing in this episode was god awful... it was a terrible idea to try and fit a story like this into a single episode. I didn't feel a thing for any of the characters, because I didn't even get to know any of them. There wasn't even a sense of comradery between them, sure they said they were a team or whatever, but their relationship held no weight. The episode didn't even give Kirito any real development because the whole scenario was extremely forced.

Hope the show doesn't produce any more episodes like this stinker.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 21, 2012 8:24 PM

Jul 2011
ok this is starting to get very political now lol cant we all agree that the only reasonable way to end this game is to beat it?

this is also one of the reasons i like SAO, its alot more realistic than other animes in that sense and does a good job of making life and death situations
Jul 21, 2012 8:26 PM

Feb 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
ok this is starting to get very political now lol cant we all agree that the only reasonable way to end this game is to beat it?

this is also one of the reasons i like SAO, its alot more realistic than other animes in that sense and does a good job of making life and death situations

I agree I like anime where people actually die and, everyone doesn't somehow live.
Jul 21, 2012 8:28 PM

Jul 2009
Either way, it annoys me how the anime simply disregards what's going on in reality all the time while they're ingame. I don't know how does the LN handle that part, but it should definitely be there. This way they just used it as a catch at the beginning, but now the whole story is just another random fantasy anime, just with a fancy GUI. =w=

Which reminds me, didn't Kirito say that the ingame food doesn't actually feed you? If so, aren't all these people gonna starve to death? I'm pretty sure that there's a simple solution, but if so, they should have shown it.
Jul 21, 2012 8:33 PM

Jul 2008
Electromaster said:
Either way, it annoys me how the anime simply disregards what's going on in reality all the time while they're ingame. I don't know how does the LN handle that part, but it should definitely be there. This way they just used it as a catch at the beginning, but now the whole story is just another random fantasy anime, just with a fancy GUI. =w=

Which reminds me, didn't Kirito say that the ingame food doesn't actually feed you? If so, aren't all these people gonna starve to death? I'm pretty sure that there's a simple solution, but if so, they should have shown it.

Kayaba made it so that all players are transported to hospital.
Obviously they are treated like coma patients.

Also we'll start to see about what happen in the real world around half way in the serie.
Jul 21, 2012 8:34 PM

Jul 2011
Electromaster said:

you find out soon enough anyway but heres a spoiler tag

also that part of whats happening outside and how his family feel is covered later in the LN though i doubt it will show up in this cour
Jul 21, 2012 8:35 PM

Jul 2008
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:

also that part of whats happening outside and how his family feel is covered later in the LN though i doubt it will show up in this cour

It was mentioned in ep 1 iirc that they were moved to hospitals.
Jul 21, 2012 8:39 PM
Jan 2012
It definitely felt rushed and it didn't even feel like 20 minutes. I thought only like 5 minutes passed by the time I got to the boss fight and was like o.O when I looked.

Also, since episodes 4 and 5 are going to be side stories (The Black Swordsman and Murder Case), the anime will have to rush 2 chapters into 1 episode since they will be starting with chapter 5 of the Light Novel as episode 6.
Jul 21, 2012 8:39 PM

Feb 2012
Maddo_scientisto said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:

It was mentioned in ep 1 iirc that they were moved to hospitals.
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:

Adding onto what you said there is also a thread about it covering the specifics about it

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=465909
Jul 21, 2012 8:45 PM

May 2012
Sad episode i enjoyed it though and it has got me hooked on this show, excited to see what happens next

Jul 21, 2012 8:54 PM

Dec 2009
So everyone on SAO is surviving on Big Government socialism dollars
That is, the government grabbed everyone and stuck them in hospitals.

">SAO, set in America
>everyone dies soon after the game starts"
Jul 21, 2012 8:54 PM

Dec 2010
I've heard from people I talk to or read it on here, pretty much everywhere that people who read the novel and then see this call it rushed and as a person who read the novel I have to agree it is rushed...however people should also temper their expectations for any novel adaption since there are way worse adaptions then this, there are even examples in this very season, now while I didn't read Campione I was told they put ALL of volume 3 into episode 1, that is way more rushed than SAO ever could be.

Another thing, I tried myself to see how one would be able to fit all of Aria into one episode or all of the Black Cats and Red nosed Reindeer and didn't do that great, now others may very well organize better than me but when setting each SS as one episode it's to be expected that stuff will be left out, and honestly I think they adapted this episode better than Aria since the main points were still there and nothing huge was left out (well not as much as ALL of Kirito and Asunas interaction which was cut last episode). I dnt necessarly agree with it, but all signs point to ALO being animated in the second half, to do this cuts are envitable, so while it's merely a suggestion I suggest ppl temper their expectations so they may very well enjoy a show they would have if they never read the light novels and also know it could be way way worse.
InfiniteDestinyJul 21, 2012 8:58 PM
Jul 21, 2012 9:00 PM

Jul 2008
InfiniteDestiny said:
I've heard from people I talk to or read it on here, pretty much everywhere that people who read the novel and then see this call it rushed and as a person who read the novel I have to agree it is rushed...however people should also temper their expectations for any novel adaption since there are way worse adaptions then this, there are even examples in this very season, now whole I didn't read Campione I was told they put ALL of volume 3 into episode 1, that is way more rushed than SAL ever could be.

Another thing, I tried myself to see how one would be able to fit all of Aria into one episode or all of the Black Cats and Red nosed Reindeer and didn't do that great, now others may very well organize better than me but when setting each SS as one episode it's to be expected that stuff will be left out, and honestly I think they adapted this episode better than Aria since the main points were still there and nothing huge was left out (well not as much as ALL of Kirito and Asunas interaction which was cut last episode). I dnt necessarly agree with it, but all signs point to ALO being animated in the second half, to do this cuts are envitable, so while it's merely a suggestion I suggest ppl temper their expectations so they may very well enjoy a show they would have if they never read the light novels and also know it could be way way worse.

No no, you got me agreeing with you: With just one episode that's likely one of the best possible result that anyone could have came with. Now the problem is not that, it's that it was allocated so little time.

Volume 1 + 2 + sides stories should have taken the whole 24 episode for them but they are allocated half of it, obviously the other half being volume 3 + 4.
Jul 21, 2012 9:00 PM
Oct 2010
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Electromaster said:
So it just hit me.

even small scale emp's are very hard to produce and control, emps use up a very large amount of energy and to do that for thousands of players will be very expensive, also like i said with kayaba around he could just threaten to kill the users and make them back off

kayaba is a genius who invented SAO and Nerve gear, he definitely came up with counter measures and is most likely in hiding, enough said, im not even gonna put in a spoiler tag on what he's doing and where he is
Well, one simple countermeasure could go like this:

An EMP basically creates a huge current within the electronic devices frying them almost instantly. But suppose this Kayaba included a switch in the Nerve Gear to maliciously modify the ground for electric discharge to pass through the brain in case the output exceeds certain level, and activates it from the start of the whole ordeal. Done this way an EMP would not only fry the device, but the user's brain along with it...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 21, 2012 9:01 PM

Jun 2011
Much better than episode 2.

4/5
Jul 21, 2012 9:05 PM

Jan 2009
Im really enjoying this series, love the setting and concept. I didn't get what the heck was happening at first but I caught on halfway.

It does sorta bother me how some of the situations seem...unrealistic? a life or death game seems to be taken pretty...casually. Their approach to an mmo as well :X...I don't really mind, but I dont get the feeling that its life or death for the players. I LOVE the atmosphere, I just can't take that concept as seriously as I maybe should :X. Still loving this though ^^.
Jul 21, 2012 9:19 PM

Jul 2011
man the way that first guy got killed with those pickaxes really got to me, they did a good job showing how the black cats got beaten down in the worst possible way and how they were outnumbered like hell, ofcourse with kirito's level, he would have no problems taking down those lower levels and can fend for himself but there were just waay too many and he couldn't protect them, i have to say that the anime did a better job portraying that than the LN did
Jul 21, 2012 9:27 PM

Sep 2011
Argh... As an anime-only viewer, I feel that this is way too rushed as well. Even though I could vaguely understand what's going on in the episode. But hey, this is a filler episode, and so I don't have any more complaints about it. Just... don't give me another Episode 2.

Dropped the rating down to an 8. Hope the future episodes give me a chance to bump this up to 9 or 10. Come on, SAO, I know you can do it!

By the way, one of the soundtracks in this episode sounded familiar to one from Fate/Zero. Not too surprised since the OST for both series is done by Yuki Kajiura.
Jul 21, 2012 9:28 PM

Sep 2008
Still waiting for UTW to finish subbing this episode. *sigh*
Jul 21, 2012 9:43 PM

Dec 2008
OMG! What dos klein love so much about Kirito? xD
^_~
Jul 21, 2012 9:46 PM

Feb 2010
Literally, holy crap that was rushed. However, I'm glad that it still stuck to a storyline rather than leave a lot of plot holes. In a way, it's a 'good' type of rush, since they keep all the important events in there.

Jul 21, 2012 9:47 PM

Dec 2008
BTW! I loved when he discovered that he couldn't get her back! That's exactly how it should be! =)
^_~
Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.