Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2012 7:03 PM

Feb 2012
Well, they cut out a few parts that were kinda important to the story in the novel, (Argo, the sword and aqua haired guys real motive) BUT, I would say they cut out so much so that they could show the rest well. And they did do that. I loved that they left in the bread scene, I wish they had done the "Oooo she's pretty scene" how they did in the LN but, meh.
All-in-all, they did a good job of keeping the story intact and showing why Kirito had to pretend to be a dick. What they DIDN"t show, is at the time this is set, Kirito is already leveled WAY higher than most other people in the game and has been beefing up his detect enemy skill so no one can sneak up on him. So he isn't in any real danger from most other players. Other beta testers, or worse, someone who wasn't a tester but got accused of being such, are safe now... unless they show the same type of skills and knowledge as Kirito.
Kinda wish they had included First Day though.
Jul 14, 2012 7:05 PM
Apr 2012
i actually thought they did well in compressing aria given that they had it in one episode(yea 2 would have been better). it was rushed but directed quite well to fit.

overall 4/5 or 7/10...
if i hadn't read the light novel i would of given a 4.5/5 or 8.5/10.

correct me if i am wrong but aria is the longest side story is it not? so then other adaptions of the side stories would surely be better... i bet on it :P

edit* aside from aria i guess there are two aincrad ss that match its length
tzukimataJul 14, 2012 7:10 PM
Jul 14, 2012 7:09 PM
Feb 2012
Amazing episodee!!!!! i can see this anime having alot of episodes i hope :P

Kirito should of stayed in the party with Asuna
Jul 14, 2012 7:10 PM

Nov 2007
This series is actually really good. Asuna is cuteee.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 14, 2012 7:10 PM

Feb 2008
Okay, I haven't read volume 8 so I don't know.
Well, like I wrote above that I'm still at volume 5, so I don't know anything about volume 8.
Yes I know about Red-Nosed Reindeer, it was a kind of sad story. You know what I mean.
But still I don't get it why they going to have that side story in the next episode.

belatkuro said:

No, there's a side story in volume 8 which tells of what Kirito did after he ran out of the city at the beginning of the death game(end of episode 1). He did a mission, ran into some trouble and broke down a bit because of the situation and how he must be strong in order to survive.
And looking at the title of the next episode, it's the side story in volume 2, Red-Nosed Reindeer. So yeah.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 14, 2012 7:14 PM
Apr 2012
oh wow... two time-skips in three episodes? me like
Jul 14, 2012 7:15 PM
Jan 2012
To those who've read the Light Novel, I assume this is Volume 8, chapter 3 on baka tsuki? Also, I went in and Ctrl + F and Asuna wasn't in the chapter. Something that the anime added in?

I enjoyed the episode regardless of it being rushed. I would have liked it if they started on chapter5 of Volume 1, but I assume they're going to go through 3 short stories and then continue from chapter 5 to 25?
Jul 14, 2012 7:21 PM

Dec 2011
He became an asshole... but I still like it.
I think he took the blame to protect those beta testers.
And he has a point, everybody is a beginner at the start...
So people shouldn't blame who started first.

They finally introduced the main girl Asuna!
FijiJul 14, 2012 7:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 7:22 PM

Jul 2012
I
Blackbird said:
Well, like I wrote above that I'm still at volume 5, so I don't know anything about volume 8.
Yes I know about Red-Nosed Reindeer, it was a kind of sad story. You know what I mean.
But still I don't get it why they going to have that side story in the next episode.

belatkuro said:

No, there's a side story in volume 8 which tells of what Kirito did after he ran out of the city at the beginning of the death game(end of episode 1). He did a mission, ran into some trouble and broke down a bit because of the situation and how he must be strong in order to survive.
And looking at the title of the next episode, it's the side story in volume 2, Red-Nosed Reindeer. So yeah.

It's one of the main reasons he decided to be an exclusive solo for a long period of time and it still gnaws on him even at the events of volume 1.

@Fiji He only did that to direct all the blame to him and protect the other beta testers.
Jul 14, 2012 7:28 PM
Oct 2008
HOT DAMN, I love this anime. Great atmosphere, great tension, keeps surprising me with twists (I thought kirito would be a wuss lol).
Jul 14, 2012 7:28 PM
Dec 2011
Uerr could someone explain how the players don't die from hunger in real life? Besides that, pretty decent first few episodes.
Glory lies just beyond the horizon!
Jul 14, 2012 7:32 PM

Aug 2011
Like people have been saying, Kirito didn't become an asshole or have a 180 degree turn in personality. It was an act that he put on because at the rate that things were going at, beta testers everywhere would be loathed. So he took it upon himself to center all the hate towards the beta testers onto himself thus saving other beta testers from all sorts of trouble.

I think they did well cramming Aria into 1 ep, although 2 eps would have been better. Can't wait for Red nosed reindeer next ep.
Jul 14, 2012 7:33 PM

Feb 2008
You are the not only one but next week it will be not get any screen time unfortunely.

Vizi_Reality said:
The fight scene was well done, and i'm glad that they were able to maintain the quality same as the 1st ep
I wish that Asuna could get more screen time though
Damn, now I need to wait for 1 more week XD

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 14, 2012 7:36 PM

Feb 2009
Blackbird said:
You should know the answer by now. They're proceeding in a chronological order as opposed to per volume basis. I was doubting this way of telling the story but it seems to be just fine. I'm just gonna wait how the next episode does before judging their decision to do it this way.
Jul 14, 2012 7:40 PM

Feb 2008
It's sure going to be a tearjerking next episode, yeah he put up an act but I still hurting himself by saying that.
Words can be like a double edge swords.
I know Kirito is really kind person, you will see it when you read the novel or continue watching this anime.

chanotek said:
Like people have been saying, Kirito didn't become an asshole or have a 180 degree turn in personality. It was an act that he put on because at the rate that things were going at, beta testers everywhere would be loathed. So he took it upon himself to center all the hate towards the beta testers onto himself thus saving other beta testers from all sorts of trouble.

I think they did well cramming Aria into 1 ep, although 2 eps would have been better. Can't wait for Red nosed reindeer next ep.

Jul 14, 2012 7:41 PM

May 2012
chanotek said:

^ Yeah what chanotek said.

That's just something an anime as opposed to a light novel using visuals which also cuts some time consumption: Show Kirito thinking of Diabel before deciding on what to say. Close up of his face and expression. - Instead of explaining his actions with words/dialogue

I haven't read the LN but I am liking the series so far. Will probably look into the light novels after or midshow.
Wonder if there is pvp lol..
Jul 14, 2012 7:45 PM

Jul 2012
CommittedMeat said:
Uerr could someone explain how the players don't die from hunger in real life? Besides that, pretty decent first few episodes.

They were put into hospitals and hooked to IVs for nourishment similar to a person in a coma. This was explained properly in the novels but not so much in the anime. In addition players feel hungry in game. They also feel fatigue and will need to rest and sleep after a period of extended activity. You can manage w/out eating in-game food but you'd feel you're always running on an empty stomach. And lack of sleep will cause fainting in some cases.

Oh and for PVP yes there is. It's one of the reoccurring plot points.
Jul 14, 2012 7:47 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah pretty much, gah I didn't really want to see side story this early, haven't even read it yet.
Please god not tearjerking episode, you right you can't judge anything yet.

belatkuro said:
Blackbird said:
You should know the answer by now. They're proceeding in a chronological order as opposed to per volume basis. I was doubting this way of telling the story but it seems to be just fine. I'm just gonna wait how the next episode does before judging their decision to do it this way.

Jul 14, 2012 7:47 PM
Mar 2012
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

some people are saying the episode went too fast, but I think this speed is just right considering half the people watching this either read the manga or the novel.
Jul 14, 2012 7:49 PM

Mar 2009
overrated crap
Jul 14, 2012 7:49 PM

Apr 2012
lol if you read novels/mangas you will always be disappointed by the adaptation
even fate zero was lacking. It's a lost cause to complain. Animes have limitations and always will.

Jul 14, 2012 7:50 PM
Dec 2011
swordstriker21 said:
CommittedMeat said:

They were put into hospitals and hooked to IVs for nourishment similar to a person in a coma. This was explained properly in the novels but not so much in the anime. In addition players feel hungry in game. They also feel fatigue and will need to rest and sleep after a period of extended activity. You can manage w/out eating in-game food but you'd feel you're always running on an empty stomach. And lack of sleep will cause fainting in some cases.

THANK YOU!! I was totally confused by the end of the first episode of how the 10,000 people were gonna survive. I guess all the hospitals must be packed then LOL
Glory lies just beyond the horizon!
Jul 14, 2012 7:55 PM

Mar 2011
Bagonirix said:
overrated crap

I can see that SAO isn't your type of anime from your list XD
Jul 14, 2012 8:04 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 2 was ok~
I liked the BGM and the colours and so far it has piped my interest ^^

Though, does anyone know were I can read the light novel ? please pm me the answer ^^
Jul 14, 2012 8:06 PM

Jun 2010
OMG amazing episode. Love the fantasy world and great combos, Kirito and Asuna had great teamwork
Jul 14, 2012 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
Beginning of filler, SAO's score is gonna drop down quickly from now.
Jul 14, 2012 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
R0LAN said:
Episode 2 was ok~

Though, does anyone know were I can read the light novel ? please pm me the answer ^^

Buy it
Baka tsuki
removed-userJul 14, 2012 8:56 PM
Jul 14, 2012 8:08 PM
Mar 2012
Zeally said:
lol if you read novels/mangas you will always be disappointed by the adaptation
even fate zero was lacking. It's a lost cause to complain. Animes have limitations and always will.

Really? I read the novel and I actually think this is quite good.
Hope it doesn't go the guilty crown direction(Trying to pack everything into 20+eps)
Jul 14, 2012 8:09 PM

Jun 2009
Kirito in charge of saving up his potions and not using potion to a dying beta tester.

Sly bastard.
Jul 2018
Such epicness in ep2, this will def go to my favs if it keeps up like this.

Sep 2011
I'm a bit disappointed because there's no Argo the Rat..

Ep2 was good and I really liked the boss fight.. haha!!
Jul 14, 2012 8:11 PM

Jun 2009
golila-3 said:
Hope it doesn't go the guilty crown direction(Trying to pack everything into 20+eps)

Except Guilty Crown is an anime original not a light novel adaptation.
Jul 14, 2012 8:11 PM

Jul 2012
CommittedMeat said:
swordstriker21 said:
CommittedMeat said:

THANK YOU!! I was totally confused by the end of the first episode of how the 10,000 people were gonna survive. I guess all the hospitals must be packed then LOL

It's not like all 10,000 stay there forever. Remember some of them die. Only about 8,000 remaining now. And that number will continue to decrease in time.
Jul 14, 2012 8:21 PM

Feb 2012
edwd2 said:
R0LAN said:
Episode 2 was ok~

Buy it

That's... a little hard when it isn't licensed or for sale in English yet. Light Novels hardly ever get licensed or legitimately translated so please, get off your high horse and join the rest of the class.

R0LAN - Sent you the info. :3
Jul 14, 2012 8:23 PM
Apr 2012
edwd2 said:

i can assume you have read it right? or not
this ep and the next have major factors in the development of kirito... given the limited episodes they have, fillers would be a nonsensical decision.
Jul 14, 2012 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
This was an interesting episode, and loner coat obtained.
Jul 14, 2012 8:32 PM

Feb 2008
Buy it?

Oh yes only if you can read japanese, but there sure is a bunch of pages to read, and this author will still write more.
Yes you can see him first time step on floor 1, but there is a limit what you can SOLO, that's obviously since there is elite monsters that drop better rare items.
Ah I realize also something that when he declare himself as Beater, there is going to be bunch of rumors about him he is a Beater so on, but when I think about it I already know.

First Floor Boss= Clear, yes he got a step further to level up.

I do actually looking forward for the coming plans of Virtual Reality year 2030, but I wonder will I still play games when VR will be release.

Jul 14, 2012 8:35 PM
Jun 2012
This. anime. is. amazing.
Jul 14, 2012 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
tzukimata said:
edwd2 said:

this ep and the next have major factors in the development of kirito... given the limited episodes they have, fillers would be a nonsensical decision.

I heard they aren't gonna adapt ALO?
Jul 14, 2012 8:43 PM

Apr 2008
I found out about the Aria extra just before watching this episode, and I'm assuming this is the animation of that. Retconning isn't something you usually see in anime/manga while still being the same continuity. I think this makes the third or fourth time Kirito and Asuna's time together in Aincrad was retconned. Oh well, at least it's for the greater good.

If the anime is going in the direction of doing everything chronologically instead of by publish date then all the extras from volume 2 are going to be interspersed throughout the anime. That's a pretty good decision if it's true.

I really enjoyed seeing how Kirito got his midnight cloak, and it was very interesting to see how took his first step into being the legendary solo. Bearing the hate of everyone in the room and making him self seem arragant so he could be a target of their rage was very Kirito-like. I wouldn't have been surprised if a mob mentality broke out and their would have been fatalities after they left the safe zone. I wasn't expecting him to be the origin point of 'beater', but considering how strong he will be it feels obvious now. Looking forward to Red-nosed Reindeer next. Something else I'll have to catch up with on my reading.

Edit: apparently I never read the red-nosed reindeer chapter from volume 2. At least I don't remember anything about the event boss.
Jul 14, 2012 8:46 PM
Apr 2012
edwd2 said:
tzukimata said:
edwd2 said:

um... i don't know. maybe?
adding ALO would be a big feat to do... BUT it is fast paced and shorter than SAOv1...
it could go either way...
Jul 14, 2012 8:48 PM

Feb 2012
Red-nosed Reindeer...
Bring tissues.

If they ever do Mother's Rosario... :-;
Anyone that wouldn't cry during that is a freaking tool.
Jul 14, 2012 8:48 PM

Feb 2012
tzukimata said:
edwd2 said:
tzukimata said:
edwd2 said:

um... i don't know. maybe?
adding ALO would be a big feat to do... BUT it is fast paced and shorter than SAOv1...
it could go either way...

Umm they kinda have to include at least some... otherwise the ending of SAO will be SUCK-y
Jul 14, 2012 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
Nice episode was smiling at all the small stuff like forming a party and final kill bonuses plus *looot!!*

and i really like seeing how well Kirito and Asuna fight together
Jul 14, 2012 9:05 PM

May 2012
Dispite the missing scenes, to compact the main points of a novel size story in a sutible pace without draging the anime-only viewers (and suffer 1 week of waiting a 'predictable' result in the next ep) - I think the producers team and this episode is successful.
Oto_InukeJul 14, 2012 9:09 PM
The bonds within stories are unbound, unexpected, unspoken.
Only the characters themselves can see the truth of their feelings.
No matter what others would deem incompatible or not.
"Because we're imperfect, we couldn't help but search for each other.
Because we're imperfect, we couldn't help but hurt each other."
'Perfect World'
by Rocky Chack Spice and Wolf II
Jul 14, 2012 9:10 PM

May 2010
Damn cliff hangers :( Great episode never a dull moment for me, anyway that Asuna X Kirito Cover attack was sick, just wish the episode would last so much longer seems so short.
Jul 14, 2012 9:10 PM
Jan 2012
Kirito meeting Asuna in this battle wasn't in the Light Novel, right? I haven't read the chapter (Volume 8, First Day) yet, but I glanced over it and Ctrl F didn't have Asuna's name in it.

Also, I think it a little strange how Asuna never reacted when Kirito had his little speech at the end. Whenever criticized him for being a Beta / Cheater, Asuna just looked on with the same expression.
Jul 14, 2012 9:17 PM

Sep 2007
Damn I just love how they're including all these actual mmorpg nuances from party systems to equipment drops. So glad the girl isn't some annoying ass tsundere either.
Jul 14, 2012 9:23 PM

Sep 2011
I had my own interpertation on Kirito's speech at the end, but it turned out I was sorto of wrong according to LN readers. Ugh, I hate it when adaptions skip important stuff like EXPLAINING why a character did X Y and Z. I mean I had an interpertaton for myself and realized what really happened but he kinda left as off as a douche.

All in all though this episode was still pretty good and I want more Asuna. I keep hearing the next episodes gonna be a tear jerker... well we'll see!
Jul 14, 2012 9:24 PM

Feb 2012
astray71 said:
Kirito meeting Asuna in this battle wasn't in the Light Novel, right? I haven't read the chapter (Volume 8, First Day) yet, but I glanced over it and Ctrl F didn't have Asuna's name in it.

Also, I think it a little strange how Asuna never reacted when Kirito had his little speech at the end. Whenever criticized him for being a Beta / Cheater, Asuna just looked on with the same expression.

Oh that. Nah Asuna wasn't fooled by Kirito's "I'm a dick" act. She knows exactly what he did and why he did it and says as much in the light novel. They IMPLIED it in the anime... I wish they had made that a bit more clear.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.