Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2012 8:05 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

SAO presents episode 2 with the debut of Asuna Yuuki :)

Great episode overall tbh from the speech, the debut of the new characters, the boss fight, and Asuna & Kirito's teamwork. Yuki Kajiura does an excellent job once again in this latest series with the powerful soundtrack. I do admit that the fight was quite predictable but overall was executed well imo even though one of their comrades got koed.

Can't wait to see more next time!
Stark700Jul 14, 2012 1:58 PM
Jul 14, 2012 8:29 AM
Apr 2011
Felt rushed
Jul 14, 2012 8:34 AM
Jul 2012
Onii said:
Felt rushed

Rushed? Uh oh. I guess it's what happens when they have something as big as Aria SS fit into one episode...
Jul 14, 2012 8:37 AM

Mar 2011
People die... that's one of the reason why I love SAO <3

Love this episode

Rushed? It's an anime afterall <3
You can expect more of this on any adaptation

Jul 14, 2012 8:56 AM

Dec 2010
Reading the novel counterpart of this episode was a mistake.

Felt too fucking rushed, important development got shafted and no Argo. God, who thought it was a good idea to condense one novel in a single episode...

I'm waiting for them to ruin/rush red-nosed reindeer next week.
Jul 14, 2012 9:15 AM
Apr 2012
well that is what separates both forms... anime is limited with episodes and time while with the novel, the author can tell every bit what he wants...

yes, i too feel that rushing things are bad but was it not expected? much like this all other side stories would likely be one episode...
Jul 14, 2012 9:24 AM

Dec 2009
RainbowMagnet said:

I'm waiting for them to ruin/rush red-nosed reindeer next week.

IIRC Aria was quite longer than RNR, so it shouldn't be that rushed.

ricardo241 said:
People die... that's one of the reason why I love SAO <3

People die when they are killed? :P

But yeah it's kinda expected, Aria needed about 2-3 episodes to be fully animated, but based on the PV's it wouldn't happen, so eh.
Jul 14, 2012 9:25 AM

Aug 2011
ASUNA!!
Jul 14, 2012 9:40 AM

Feb 2009
They really did cram all of Aria in the Starless Night in one episode. I would have liked one more episode for this but strangely this worked well. The dialogues in the meetin was still intact. We got his labeling as a Beater and Asuna being a strong player. And the guide was still present, though no Argo D:
Most importantly, we're seeing it still in Kirito's point of view. His monologues are still intact. I like what the director is doing.
If next episode is what I think it is, I'm gonna need tissues. Let's see how they do this.

inb4 LN readers raging and Frodos asking about details.
Jul 14, 2012 9:42 AM

Dec 2009
belatkuro said:
They really did cram all of Aria in the Starless Night in one episode. I would have liked one more episode for this but strangely this worked well. The dialogues in the meetin was still intact. We got his labeling as a Beater and Asuna being a strong player. And the guide was still present, though no Argo D:
Most importantly, we're seeing it still in Kirito's point of view. His monologues are still intact. I like what the director is doing.
If next episode is what I think it is, I'm gonna need tissues. Let's see how they do this.

inb4 LN readers raging and Frodos asking about details.

Yeah, the next episode will be a tear jerker.

Still gave it a 4/5 though just because of preferences. But if I rated it without reading Aria itself it's still a 5/5. :>
Jul 14, 2012 9:49 AM

Nov 2007
Someone found boss's place, and needing 8 people groups. He and another girl got left out.

Cheater among them?

The girl wanted to stay as herself before losing, and first time grouping with others. Though he thinks that she's a good fighter. Nice BGM (as expected by Kajiura-sensei) while the battle.

The leader died leading them, so the pair led them instead. The main guy defeated him. He admitted that he's "cheater", who went through that place before.

Nice ED.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 14, 2012 9:56 AM

Oct 2010
Damn I woke up late. This sucks. Anyway nice episode. Asuna is my girl! Her intro in the following,

Was BOOM BASTIC! Asuna in the spoiler
got some rather nice features shown. Mainly her body and face are nicely shown. Asuna’s smile is very nice to behold TBH.

The Epitome is in the spoiler
COMBO ATTACK NICE!

About the fight, that Kobold ass in the spoiler
always was shit. Last I remember of those shit monsters was in a RPG in arcades. Dragon something. 4 players on one machine. Fun game that looks like this one except that no one dies obviously. Just putting in quarters. That being said the guy in the spoiler
poor him! He really got it! Nice they show a potion and it was to help but alas it was not enough. Might edit later.

BTW End Art in the spoiler
is fantastic as usual!

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 14, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2011
I see the anime is going chronologically instead of the LN's side stories here and there.
This is why in MMO's you make call lists xD
great episode as always.
Jul 14, 2012 10:18 AM

Nov 2011
What chapters/volume of the novel is this episode?
Jul 14, 2012 10:21 AM

Jul 2011
-Yumaol- said:

I think this is a side story in Vol 7, or the one before mother's rosario.
Like below poster
KryomaticsJul 14, 2012 10:25 AM
Jul 14, 2012 10:21 AM

Dec 2009
-Yumaol- said:

It's a huge Side Story called "Aria in the Starless Night"

Huge because yeah...it could have been 2-3 episodes. :V
Jul 14, 2012 10:24 AM

Feb 2009
-Yumaol- said:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/37923/Sword_Art_Online:_Hoshinaki_Yoru_no_Aria

This one. Read it at the usual place.
Jul 14, 2012 10:30 AM

Nov 2011
Thanks. ;D

The chronological order is confusing me. =)
Jul 14, 2012 10:36 AM

Jul 2011
Holy fuck, this episode was a disaster if you've read the light novel. Really really irritating episode, full explanation on blog, but there's three main complaints.

1. Completely omitting the existence of "Argo", slaughtering the characterization of Diabel, and screwing over Kirito's moments of badassery.
2. Revamping, or omitting how the fuck Kirito and Asuna met; and how his character affected her character so much [why their romance is going to work].
3. Attenuating the hatred towards beta testers; they were perceived to be more analogous to pests, rather than murderers [and in doing so, missed out on characterizing Kirito].

Well shit. I can't count.
mdzJul 15, 2012 12:23 AM
Jul 14, 2012 10:56 AM

Jan 2009
Okay, I'm flabbergasted. I hadn't expected the episode to be this good, considering how rushed it was, but boy am I glad I was wrong.
I don't think I've got much else to say. I loved it.

Oh, there is one thing I need to say.
Tomatsu Haruka does a absolutely fantastic job.
OosranJul 14, 2012 10:59 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 14, 2012 10:58 AM

Jul 2010
Interesting episode and by the looks of things, will be fast paced.

Tomatsu, Haruka voicing Asuna should be a nice treat with her range of voices.
Jul 14, 2012 11:12 AM

Jul 2011
where are you guys watching this subbed because i cant find a sub for this ep yet ;o
Jul 14, 2012 11:15 AM

Oct 2011
Where's Argo??
Jul 14, 2012 11:21 AM

Dec 2010
lolzteez said:
Where's Argo??

She got the shaft.

TornSoul said:
where are you guys watching this subbed because i cant find a sub for this ep yet ;o

There's no sub yet, we're watching it raw.
Jul 14, 2012 11:42 AM

Jun 2010
Damn it. I WANT THE SUBS NOW.

Im excited to watch the episode 2 after marathoning 5 volumes in three days...

I hope they will cover at least all of the contents of Volume One.
Jul 14, 2012 11:43 AM

Dec 2010
I was worried about this one being put into a single episode, but over all I believe all the truly important parts to me are in it. Argo would of been nice but I'm fine with it how it is. Giving it a 5/5

Aria was a little long, so if they can mange to do it this well in a single episode I have high hopes for the other sides, and the main plot line.
Jul 14, 2012 11:55 AM

Feb 2008
I don't think it's rush at all by continue on the first episode, I didn't even knew Kirito first meeting with Asuna was just after a month, sorry haven't read sidestory yet still reading volume 5.

The orginale volume 1 doesn't include the sidestory at all, if they want to make both sidestory and from the orginale novel I hope it at least 26 episodes.
Well, I do also hope they will include the other sequel arc one in the future. :)

It's nice to see Asuna animation thought, guess she hide herself of her beauty, hehe but it's true.
I still love the laughing face of her. :)
She isn't weak and really determinated to fight, she is going to be one of the top players later in 2 years timeskip.

Kirito definely fake that laugh and everything about him being Beater, becuase probably something bad will be happend otherwise, that's his kindness for saving them.
Becuase I know he is not such a badass.

But still I love that Kirito evil laugh :D

He sure love black clothes. :D

After....

More Kirito in the next episode.
BlackbirdJul 14, 2012 12:22 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 14, 2012 12:03 PM
Sep 2010
Hmmm, can't understand Japanese but I would've preferred Kirito meeting Asuna in the dungeons instead of randomly with that knight expedition leader. Also I would've liked to see First Day before the boss fight; would've shown how evil some players can be in game
Jul 14, 2012 12:19 PM

Feb 2008
You already seen the first day, it's was from the first episode. After the ending of the first day in the preview it said 2000 died the first month I think it was.
So this was still after first episode.

fimbu1vetr said:
Hmmm, can't understand Japanese but I would've preferred Kirito meeting Asuna in the dungeons instead of randomly with that knight expedition leader. Also I would've liked to see First Day before the boss fight; would've shown how evil some players can be in game

Can we get to timeskip of 2 years now?
I can't wait anymore ^_^

Or will the be more side story after this.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 14, 2012 12:26 PM

Feb 2009
Blackbird said:
You already seen the first day, it's was from the first episode. After the ending of the first day in the preview it said 2000 died the first month I think it was.
So this was still after first episode.

fimbu1vetr said:

Can we get to timeskip of 2 years now?
I can't wait anymore ^_^

Or will the be more side story after this.
No, there's a side story in volume 8 which tells of what Kirito did after he ran out of the city at the beginning of the death game(end of episode 1). He did a mission, ran into some trouble and broke down a bit because of the situation and how he must be strong in order to survive.
And looking at the title of the next episode, it's the side story in volume 2, Red-Nosed Reindeer. So yeah.
belatkuroJul 14, 2012 12:31 PM
Jul 14, 2012 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
Gonna patiently sob wait for the sub.
Jul 14, 2012 1:10 PM
Jul 2012
WHy... I was Waiting for Argo the Rat debut..... and the bath scene...
Too bad it cut short 'Aria in the Starless Night' story a lot but it still good.
gundamwarcraftJul 14, 2012 1:28 PM
Jul 14, 2012 1:40 PM

Jun 2011
No Argo........ sadface
but next ep~!!><
Jul 14, 2012 1:41 PM

Sep 2009
Why they rushed. It weas said that only SAO arc would be animated. 25 eps are more than enough.

Ep wasn't bad actually but I raged that they cut all scenes with Argo and Asuna and Kirito's meeting in dungeon.
Jul 14, 2012 1:46 PM
Apr 2009
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Why they rushed. It weas said that only SAO arc would be animated. 25 eps are more than enough.

Ep wasn't bad actually but I raged that they cut all scenes with Argo and Asuna and Kirito's meeting in dungeon.

It was never stated that only SAO arc is going to be animated. Judging from cutting and next episodes titles ALO is going to be animated as well
Jul 14, 2012 1:58 PM

Sep 2009
reve said:
Nachtwandler_21 said:

It was never stated that only SAO arc is going to be animated. Judging from cutting and next episodes titles ALO is going to be animated as well

It was mentioned in producer's interview as I remember. And there's totally no hints for ALO adaptation so far. No ALO scenes in trailers. No ALO characters in chara list and cast(Suguha made cameo appearance in ep. 1 so she doesn't count). And the tempo is not the case. They still could fit only SAO+SS in 25 eps
Jul 14, 2012 2:02 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was cool. I didn't have many expectations for those show so I'm happy.
Jul 14, 2012 2:04 PM

Jun 2012
Hm while I thought the episode was rushed at first after thinking about it I was fine with it. What I wasn't fine with however was the main speech at the end, to me that development came from left field. I knew he was a little on the arrogant side since he got into the beta test but still a little more time to let us as viewers know he has that darker side beneath him would be nice. A good episode nonetheless though, 22 minutes flew by without even realizing it and was surprised when the ED came up

Random Thoughts

I really liked the raid group vs boss fight! Slick animation and great camera angles

Is this going to be a long running show or a 1-2 cour series?

I hope it isn't too long before Asuna comes back I'm interested in finding out more about her
HybridMBLJul 14, 2012 2:09 PM
Jul 14, 2012 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
well real gamers would be even douchier than that one guy. I'd hate to be stuck in a world like this with anyone from WoW or any other mmo. I'd probably want to go solo as well. Asuna is cool, but a girl that's good at games? what is she the 1%? hahaha.

discriminating against testers is amusing though. also that the band of newbies struggle against a weak boss.
Jul 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Dec 2009
Kiribao is such a douch, hate him a bit...not as much as some other guy but still.

Anyways KIRIASU ENDING I LUVZ U. <3
Jul 14, 2012 2:17 PM

Apr 2010
It was rushed, but still excellent.

4/5
Jul 14, 2012 2:19 PM

Oct 2011
Dammit, they rushed it a hell of a lot. Still a great moment though.
I wish they speaded out the Aria ending, though. That last scene with Kirito and Asuna was cut a bit short....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 2:23 PM

Feb 2012
So the people who were so into gaming that they lined up to be the first ones to get a game copy, 2/10 die the first month? Not even that, the first boss hasn't even been cleared? Come on, no casual lines up for the midnight release.
Jul 14, 2012 2:23 PM
Oct 2010
That was cool, Kirito pulled a Lelouch to take on himself the building blame and frustration so the rest can cooperate in harmony (in theory at least).
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 14, 2012 2:24 PM
Oct 2010
kirito - not a noob. bamf
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jul 14, 2012 2:25 PM

Oct 2011
Rushed.
Like, really rushed.
Np still awesome.
Jul 14, 2012 2:33 PM

Jul 2010
It was indeed rushed very much, which kinda disappointed me, but in overall episode was AMAZING.Animation is sick, and Asuna <3
Jul 14, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
The episode, like everyone said, was quite rushed seeing as they removed numerous aspects of it such as Kirito and Asuna's real first meeting, Argo, bath scene etc.

One thing that was left out from the novel and really should have been put in was the explanation of Kirito's arrogant sounding speech. In the novel, Kirito's reasoning was explained:

Jul 14, 2012 2:39 PM
Apr 2012
He's not a beta tester, he's not a cheater, he's a Beater! That episode flew by, it felt 5 minutes long. Loved the episode though, the boss fight was really well done, lots of action and different angles. The ending part seemed a little rushed but when you only have 22 minutes, hard to make everything right. Can't wait for episode 3.
Jul 14, 2012 2:41 PM
Apr 2012
Chrischunn said:
The episode, like everyone said, was quite rushed seeing as they removed numerous aspects of it such as Kirito and Asuna's real first meeting, Argo, bath scene etc.

One thing that was left out from the novel and really should have been put in was the explanation of Kirito's arrogant sounding speech. In the novel, Kirito's reasoning was explained:

Thanks for the extra explanation. As I haven't read the manga this really helped out.
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.