Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2012 3:32 PM

Jan 2010
Probably the first school festival that looks good...in other anime, these looked like shit :D

"The other side of the other side of the other side would be the other side"
Jul 9, 2012 3:59 PM

Jul 2007
Ugh i dunno why people say "nothing happened" and things like that. It's not like the ghost episode and the first 2 eps of the last arc were any better. Anyways i liked this one. It had lot's of funny moments and I'm actually curious (first time in this show lol) to see if they will sell all the copies or not. It doesn't really seem possible but oh well. Also the new ED is really awesome.
Jul 9, 2012 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
new ed is so cute)
and btw I don't think that this ep was boring or a "filler-like" :/
Jul 9, 2012 4:31 PM

Oct 2010
FINALLY CAUGHT UP! 2 episodes in a row. Wow this is the festival that is the most realistic of all the other ones I have seen. I was into it a lot. This episode essentially showed a lot of Eru MOE whom I loved of course. The most being the photo shoot. Eru my maid and Eru my cheerleader basically.

About the new ED, I really like it. It shows a good parody of Sherlock Holmes being Eru and Watson being Ibara. Another thing is the following GIF,
(bigger size here) Not only does it show nicely Eru and Ibara with their expressions it also shows a foreshadow of the show. Perhaps as mundane it may sound but it would be by Satoshi and Houtarou. For what reasons? Not known but clearly Satoshi and Houtarou being shown as villains may imply they may become bad not as in anything serious of this show but one of them committing a real crime and some drama might get things going TBH. Surely I am thinking something is up with the ED other than being a parody itself.

Might edit later but I might put in the club. So much shit to do in life. HOWEVER! I share my take of the ED in the spoiler
nice shots with no credits or not a lot of them. Hyouka really pleased me so far as of #11 and this episode.
Yumekichi11Jul 9, 2012 8:35 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 9, 2012 5:41 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
About the new ED, I really like it. It shows a good parody of Sherlock Holmes being Eru and Watson being Ibara. Another thing is the following GIF,
Not only does it show nicely Eru and Ibara with their expressions it also shows a foreshadow of the show. Perhaps as mundane it may sound but it would be by Satoshi and Houtarou. For what reasons? Not known but clearly Satoshi and Houtarou being shown as villains may imply they may become bad not as in anything serious of this show but one of them committing a real crime and some drama might get things going TBH. Surely I am thinking something is up with the ED other than being a parody itself.

Hmm. That's not how I take it. I take it in manner of relationships - we already know Ibara is after Satoshi, and whether she realizes it or not it's obvious to me Eru is already into Houtarou. The scene in the gif is a 'joke' in which the girls are trying to 'catch' the guy they are interested in while the guys are trying their hardest to not get caught up in a relationship.

I guess that's how I see this show as a whole. It's about the growing relationship between these two pairs - the school and the mysteries are just a vehicle for the main theme to ride on.

Actually, your gif misses the most important part. Right before the two girls discover their prey has escaped they get this look in their eyes that communicates piles of romantic intent. Without that, your gif is missing the entire point.
Jul 9, 2012 5:58 PM

Aug 2011
Chitanda was so cute in this episode ^.^
Liked the Vocaloid cosplayers and the new ED is nice!
Jul 9, 2012 6:00 PM

Oct 2010
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Not only does it show nicely Eru and Ibara with their expressions it also shows a foreshadow of the show. Perhaps as mundane it may sound but it would be by Satoshi and Houtarou. For what reasons? Not known but clearly Satoshi and Houtarou being shown as villains may imply they may become bad not as in anything serious of this show but one of them committing a real crime and some drama might get things going TBH. Surely I am thinking something is up with the ED other than being a parody itself.

Hmm. That's not how I take it. I take it in manner of relationships - we already know Ibara is after Satoshi, and whether she realizes it or not it's obvious to me Eru is already into Houtarou. The scene in the gif is a 'joke' in which the girls are trying to 'catch' the guy they are interested in while the guys are trying their hardest to not get caught up in a relationship.
That's one way of seeing it. I did not think of this way but I accept your side of this.
Cratex said:
I guess that's how I see this show as a whole. It's about the growing relationship between these two pairs - the school and the mysteries are just a vehicle for the main theme to ride on.
Yeah, that's a good clear. However the mysteries really went out in the last episode. So it might be a indication of perhaps the genre Slice of Life + Mysteries whom the mysteries aspect is applied to solving life's problems?
Cratex said:
Actually, your gif misses the most important part. Right before the two girls discover their prey has escaped they get this look in their eyes that communicates piles of romantic intent. Without that, your gif is missing the entire point.
Guess I could include that in it. If I have time to change it. Thanks for suggestion of this.

Jul 9, 2012 6:30 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
If I have time to change it. Thanks for suggestion of this.
Thanks! I'd appreciate it!
Jul 9, 2012 8:30 PM

Apr 2008
Chitanda got caught in all the joys of the festival.. just like how I'll be in two days.. COMIC CON!!!!!!! woot woot!!!
Nekomimi~
Jul 9, 2012 8:36 PM

Oct 2010
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
If I have time to change it. Thanks for suggestion of this.
Thanks! I'd appreciate it!
I just did but it still proves that the guys will not get caught in the girl's lust for them on your side while on my side well I took a little too serious, I will stick more on your version but it still does not deny a foreshadow of our boys becoming bad boys. Surely there is a insane amount of possibilities open.

Jul 9, 2012 8:37 PM
Oct 2007
SwordWielder said:
who was the other cosplay standing next to miku? the one looks like samurai with a sword.

Nakaruru (sp?) from the Samarai Showdown (and I imagine KOF) games. It was well done. Same with the Vocaloids
Jul 9, 2012 8:39 PM
Oct 2011
SATOSHII LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF OMG
CHITANDA BEING EASILY DISTRACTED
OREKI SHOCKED ABOUT THE "PUNK"

OMG THIS IS COOL
Jul 9, 2012 8:40 PM

Oct 2010
zeroryoko1974 said:
SwordWielder said:
who was the other cosplay standing next to miku? the one looks like samurai with a sword.

Nakaruru (sp?) from the Samarai Showdown (and I imagine KOF) games. It was well done. Same with the Vocaloids
I will concur with this. That is exactly I had in mind in the spoiler
surely taking into account with he mentions you can correlate both attires being quite similar.

Also if I am correct they had all 3 vocaloids in there.

Jul 9, 2012 8:48 PM
Oct 2011
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
i was about to say satoshi's 'GALAXYYYYYYY' is the most epic moment in hyouka so far until this scene showed up

this gif can't get more perfect omg houtarou lmfaooooo

loved the new ED muuuuuch better than the old one imo

oreki made me laugh here too! he's so cute in hereee~~
Jul 9, 2012 8:53 PM

Dec 2011
jiroupuun said:
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
i was about to say satoshi's 'GALAXYYYYYYY' is the most epic moment in hyouka so far until this scene showed up

this gif can't get more perfect omg houtarou lmfaooooo

loved the new ED muuuuuch better than the old one imo

lool thank you, totally one of my most favorite parts in the ep xD *Seal clapping Hotarou*
Jul 9, 2012 10:06 PM
Apr 2012
Just wondering, but when Oreki was figuring how many books they'd sell I'm pretty sure he did his math incorrectly? From what I got he said 8+1+1=12.

If he did, I thought that was hilarious that he was too lazy to add correctly.

Actually, this whole ep was pretty funny! One of my favorites so far :)
Jul 9, 2012 10:13 PM

Feb 2010
I like This episode very funny, Chitanda's curiousness just got an overload hehe
Jul 9, 2012 11:03 PM

Feb 2012
I love this episode too :D

Simple but entertaining!

New ED theme is so cute~
Jul 9, 2012 11:19 PM
Jan 2012
the animations were nice, the culture festival was a nice change of pace from the doom and gloom of the previous arcs.....but nothing fucking happened.

this proves that hyouka episodes have to be watched in bunches....otherwise im going to claw my eyes out waiting for the next three episodes to see what happens
Jul 9, 2012 11:56 PM

Nov 2011
Frol from They Were 11. I knew I've heard the name before. Definitely the most interesting character from the manga, but quite the obscure character to cosplay.

As for the episode, I liked it, relatively. As I labeled this show as an average mystery and slice-of-life, this was an above average episode of the latter category.
Jul 10, 2012 2:50 AM

Aug 2010
All those complaints about the lack of action on the first page...forced me to facepalm. Seriously guys, if you want something filled with lots of action...don't watch schoolslice of life at all. Pick some mechashounen then.

I liked this episode. Nope, i loved it with all my heart. Probably, this is one of the best episodes so far, and I hope there will be even greater ones. Why did I like it, even though it was a trivial school festival? Because, KyoAni (and all people involved in creating this particular episode) really coped with capturing this atmosphere of "bunkasai". It was almost like I attended that festival myself. As you know, you can find episodes focused on festivals almost in each school-themed anime, but, i doubt they are as picturesque and vivid as this one in Hyouka.

Tsugi...Cosplaying Vocaloids... As a faithful fan of Miku, of course, I, simply, couldn't overlook those few frames with Miku and Co. I am always glad to see Miku, and hope she will appear sometime and somewhere as a main protagonist.

And the finale - ending (or opening, who knows) was also brilliantly made.

Now, what I really would like to see further is some romance between Houtarou and Chitanda, Mayaka and Satoshi. It's not like there is absolutely nothing happening between those couples right now, you can still notice some hints (or what? don't know the right word) that sparkle here and there, but I really would like to see more.
LIquId4T0rJul 10, 2012 8:33 AM
Jul 10, 2012 3:03 AM

Jul 2012
Nice Episode. Chitanda is so cute and getting caught up with all the festivities
Jul 10, 2012 3:38 AM

Oct 2008
Loved the ED sequence!
Ep was fun enough to not yawn.
Jul 10, 2012 3:59 AM
Oct 2011
I'm surprised of Hyouka's new ED and i liked it.
and the "Why didn't she asked EBA" is now gone.
That's creepy LOL
Jul 10, 2012 4:26 AM

Jun 2009
I think Chitanda is doing a good job "unknowingly" spread their Hotenbu's name around.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2012 5:15 AM

Jan 2012
I liked the episode. Some funny parts and Chitanda is very fast distracted lolz
Jul 10, 2012 6:17 AM
Jan 2012
GALLAXXXYYYY!!!!"bumped" AH!BOKU NO SATAAN GA!
Jul 10, 2012 6:33 AM

Aug 2011
Damn. I wish we had school festivals in Canada...

Anyways, this episode felt extremely weird to me. It wasn't bad, it was just different. It was like it wasn't even Hyouka anymore - it felt very slice of life-ish. I usually hate moeblob characters but Chitanda IS pretty fucking cute. The ED is decent too, but I thought the first one was animated better. Oreki made me chuckle a bit too. But I don't get the point of showing this. Will there be a mystery next episode, or at least some PLOT?

Oh, one thing that bothered me; Mayaka acted extremely out of character this episode. Even if she was sorry about ordering extra copies she was still really... awkward and shy. And she's usually not.
Jul 10, 2012 8:02 AM
Oct 2010
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
About the new ED, I really like it. It shows a good parody of Sherlock Holmes being Eru and Watson being Ibara.
I also think it's more something like that. Additionally to what you said, the song's title is "kimi ni matsuwaru", basically translated as "the mystery around you", which reinforces the idea of the girls being interested in these guys...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 10, 2012 8:24 AM

Jul 2010
"Galaxy!!!" *breaks planet* "Aah, my Saturn!" Oh my god, my stomach hurts. I don't know how many times I replayed that part. xD

Chitanda kept on getting sidetracked by everything on her way to and from the executive committee. Satoshi was nowhere no be seen either.

Houtarou actually made an effort so smile when he sold his first anthology. What a sight! The customer even took his pen in exchange for a backstage pass. I wonder how that'll come into play.

And the new ED is awesome. Both animation and music!

Jul 10, 2012 9:17 AM

Aug 2011
I guess KyoAni turned up the slice of life for this episode. I really hope this arc is going to be Mayaka-centric. She seemed to be depressed the whole episode about the Hyouka copies and the Manga club.

Oh, and what's up with the cosplay member talking behind her back like that? :o

Mayaka in her cosplay costume: HNNNNNG!
Jul 10, 2012 10:32 AM

Jul 2010
Onjouji said:
goemondojo said:
I think this show has been missing a proper ending, now it has one. this is a solid end sequence that the show has been needing.

A proper ending?
Hyouka is still airing, though. ;-;

Curious about the pen, though.

I believe he was referring to the new ED being a proper ED for the series. I personally loved the first one, for the words if nothing else. (Really, it wasn't for the Eru in lingerie... Honest!) However, the new one is very clever and makes the relationship dynamics in the show patently clear! (The girls are trying to solve the mystery of how to capture the guy's hearts. It is obvious to me that Eru already has, if the two of them would only act on it...)
egoplant said:
Worst episode yet. Nothing happens, and that's saying something for this anime.

But is was such fun nothing! Really! I loved it! Not every episode has to be plot driven. This one was about character dynamics and Eru being too cute for words!
PikachuXD said:
So pretty much the only interesting part was the ending. This only covered like the first chapter of the third novel. Next episode looks like both chapters 2-3 will be covered.

Thanks for the info! I really should read those sometime soon! :)
Meg-nyan said:
no real plot for the most part, but chitanda's little adventure was so cute. i wanted to see houtarou's sister's face!

If I remember correctly, her face was shown in Episode 11.5, which is where she came back from her trip... (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... The resolution was so poor, I might have been mistaken...)
Zhou said:
amc9988 said:
Nothing much happen this episode, and did anyone else watch ep 11.5? Chitanda's shiny eyes + boobies, Not a combo that Houtarou can say no lol

Yup, she was hot, the horrible video quality ruined it, though.

^That! Cant wait for hi-res! :(
CrimsonPhantom said:
I guess KyoAni turned up the slice of life for this episode. I really hope this arc is going to be Mayaka-centric. She seemed to be depressed the whole episode about the Hyouka copies and the Manga club.

Oh, and what's up with the cosplay member talking behind her back like that? :o

Mayaka in her cosplay costume: HNNNNNG!

I agree! I wanted to slap those little &!%@#es!

Overall, I loved this episode! So much fun, so much cuteness!
Jul 10, 2012 11:13 AM

Jun 2010
jiroupuun said:
and the "Why didn't she asked EBA" is now gone.

Wasn't it the name of the mystery show arc and an obvious reference to Agatha Christie's "Why didn't they ask Evans?" novel? It's time for a new arc, the festival one.

It was a really nice episode with some laughs here and there, a really festive atmosphere and though I missed the opening (watching every time and loving it), the new ending is way better than the previous one. I mean the song was nice, but the half-naked girl was simply WTF, totally didn't fit. This one is fun, has bright colors and the WORLD'S MOST BORED-LOOKING VILLAIN EVER in it.

I'm really curious (lol, a joke) whether the "corpse" in the next episode is going to be a real corpse or is it just a metaphor. I'd be fine either way. A real murder would definitely force a lot of emotions and development from the characters.
Jul 10, 2012 11:30 AM
Jan 2011
Made my day!

Good episode, lots of fun.

Cosplaying Eru is so cute!

Lol @ Vocaloid cosplay. Why Vocaloid? I haven't seen anyone cosplaying characters from other anime in anime, it's always Vocaloid. Whyyy?

This scene made me laugh my ass off so hard :D. Oh, Satoshi, you never fail to make me smile.

Haha, Oreki's so creepy here xD. Oh boy, I'm getting better and better at capturing useless shit and animu stuff. I should get a life.

I thought the inserted song when Eru was scouted by Photography Club sounded familiar, and then I remembered I heard it in "From Up on Poppy Hill".

I like new ED way more than the first one, it's really ingenious and charming.
Jul 10, 2012 11:52 AM

May 2012
Can't understand all the hate for this episode. This is what started the entire series; the Kanya Festival, which is what Chitanda's uncle was expelled for, the original Kanya incident, in the first place. And isn't their Hyouka anthology meant to be a summary of that entire chain of events?

I understand it's moving away from the typical 'mystery' that the show revolves around, but it seems like it will follow the same formula how small details all entwine and solve the mystery/issue; in this case, how will they sell all the Hyouka copies. Simple guess, the pen leads to the winning badge at the fashion show, leads to Chitanda's photo shoot and general slacking/being distracted, leads to copies selling.
Jul 10, 2012 12:20 PM

Feb 2012
Fun episode, feel refreshed for whats to come. Wasn't a particularly interesting episode to say the least but it helped me get over my disappointment of the previous episode. New OP is nice, enjoyed the whole sherlock holmes theme
Jul 10, 2012 1:16 PM
Sep 2011
Great episode as always!! Love this show and Chitanda is so cute!!
Jul 10, 2012 1:26 PM

Jun 2008
This new ending <333
Jul 10, 2012 2:08 PM

Sep 2010
Oh lol @ this ep. Mayaka looked great in that outfit!
And I laughed so hard at the new ending animation.

Slicer22 said:
Yea i couldnt take that video quality will have to wait for something better cause that 11.5 video was just abusive.
After 2 seconds of watching it I closed the window and decided to wait for the BD. I can't remember seeing such bad video quality of an anime in a long time.

Wordsmith said:
On a side note, just watched 11.5 .... I WANT THIS EPISODE IN GOOD QUALITY

I mean, having to watch ERU IN A BIKINI IN BAD QUALITY, that's the ultimate trolling.
You mean the ultimate trick to get people buy a BD/DVD?

bakuramariks said:
I... I totally loved this episode. I felt like i'm in high school thought we don't have festivals as tradition o.O xD.
I would have loved if my high school had such a tradition though, but I guess Dutch students aren't motivated enough; rather the opposite, but I'm not.

shadowtsunami said:
Except for this is going to be an opening 2 and not an ending 2. If you noticed we didn't have an opening song. Usually when you see a new opening they put if at the end and then show it at the beginning
That's not necessarily the case, I've often seen that an opening is cut out and that the ending is just the new ending, especially mid-season. And taking at look at the MAL page already makes it clear. First eps are another story.
ObinderuJul 10, 2012 2:12 PM
Jul 10, 2012 2:51 PM

Oct 2010
Ajunky said:
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
About the new ED, I really like it. It shows a good parody of Sherlock Holmes being Eru and Watson being Ibara.
I also think it's more something like that. Additionally to what you said, the song's title is "kimi ni matsuwaru", basically translated as "the mystery around you", which reinforces the idea of the girls being interested in these guys...
AH! The title was never translated, that makes much more sense however it still does not deny our boys becoming bad boys in the future at the very least as a plot thingy.

After all we saw last episode Houtarou defending himself rather well to the point of NOT BITCH SLAPPING IRISU. Instead the punched the poster. Cause he knows if he did he would have lawyers up his ass. But yeah that part was the first of Holmes stuff. From there one it could get more ugly.

Jul 10, 2012 3:19 PM

Sep 2010
@Yumekichi11
This show actually goes deeper than you think on the surface doesn't it?

Also Houtarou has unexpected sides to his personality, as do the other characters.
Jul 10, 2012 7:14 PM

Jul 2011
Wow that was boring and Chitanda is an airhead.
Jul 10, 2012 7:34 PM

Oct 2010
Ovindel said:
@Yumekichi11
This show actually goes deeper than you think on the surface doesn't it?

Also Houtarou has unexpected sides to his personality, as do the other characters.
And that's what I am afraid off. Let's hope Eru and Ibara actually do handcuff them before they do something stupid aka keep them in check from trouble. If Eru was there with Houtarou back in #11, things would not be that RAGING to him to say the least.

In fact I think Eru can pretty much whoop ass in serious mode in terms of speech.

Jul 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Jul 2012
 Notice !
A cappella music club lost “Apple juice”.

A case has already begun.
Jul 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Mar 2011
The only good things that happened this episode were me falling in love Mayaka and Satoshi's swag Saturn outfit.
Jul 10, 2012 10:47 PM

Jul 2010
DAT new arc
-this will be interesting to see how it goes
DAT new ending
-SO MUCH AWESOME!!! the song is very nice, animation/story in it is very nice. and seeing them in those outfits were awesome, especially oreki and chitanda.
DAT curiosity
-I feel like chitanda will explode due to too much interesting things goin around her all at once

and also, DAT PEN
-i have a feeling once the punk guy asked for it, that they were gonna do that thing which involves trading an item for another item, and than have that item being traded for another, etc until something good happens.
Kurimu-chan said:
Apparently I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed this episode? I know nothing really happened, but for some reason I enjoyed it much more than previous episodes :>

i actually enjoyed it a lot, seems like a fun start for the new arc

SwordWielder said:

thought it was reimu from touhou, but it might be from a side fighter game..tekken maybe.

shadowtsunami said:
RiukixD said:

Except for this is going to be an opening 2 and not an ending 2. If you noticed we didn't have an opening song. Usually when you see a new opening they put if at the end and then show it at the beginning

crap, i didnt even realize that.
though they only do this "ending is actually opening" thing at the beginning of the animes.

Jul 11, 2012 12:20 AM

Apr 2011
Hey where is my new OP????The ED was great with Chitanda and Ibara as Serlock and Watson XDD...

As for the epi.:

Good and someone please hold Chitanda away from the other clubs XD

I loled with Fukube's Saturn costume hahahaha...He is amazing!!!(I want a costume like this too *-*)
And Oreki saying:''Don't speak with that costume'' Lol...
Jul 11, 2012 12:58 AM

Aug 2011
I liked the pen -_-
Jul 11, 2012 2:15 AM

Sep 2010
stargazer2893 said:
 Notice !
A cappella music club lost “Apple juice”.

A case has already begun.
Oh you're right, totally forgot that! "The Mystery of the Disappeared Apple Juice"
Jul 11, 2012 4:36 AM

Jul 2012
I was happy to hear Satsuki Yukino's voice))
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.