Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 9, 2012 10:42 AM

Nov 2009
lol theyre treading on dangerous waters. loved it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2012 11:01 AM

Sep 2009
It was so much fun to watch this first episode!!
:D I'll keep watching this!
Jul 9, 2012 11:09 AM

May 2008
Death Metal!! \m/
Jul 9, 2012 11:20 AM

Aug 2008
As much as I despise JCS, it's nice to see Kumeta's series in a non-shaft style. Seems like there will be a lot of sh*t getting past the radar...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 9, 2012 11:29 AM

Jan 2010
Reminds me of Yuru Yuri, but written by Kumeta. In other words, awesome.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Jul 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Aug 2009
Very nice episode, really liked it. The girls are really nice, liked every one of them, which is rare for me^^
J.C.Staff's style as great and cute as ever, especially loved the ED^^

Oh, and this:
domdomdom said:
Death Metal!! m/
Jul 9, 2012 1:00 PM

Jul 2009
The ED is awesome!
Jul 9, 2012 1:28 PM

Dec 2011
Nice. A skit anime. Anime with most dialogues are rare.
Love the negative girl. Ahahahahaha.
I enjoyed this episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2012 1:28 PM

Aug 2008
As expected from Kumeta Kouji, I enjoyed this first episode a lot. I am really looking forward to the rest of the anime.

Ellis-chan said:
The ED is awesome!

The ED was quite amusing indeed.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Jul 9, 2012 1:41 PM
Feb 2011
didn't get all the jokes and puns, was still enjoyable tho... and dat ending xD
Jul 9, 2012 1:42 PM

Nov 2011
I was about to skip over this, but this was good. The 4th-wall and self-deprecating humor were interesting, but I found the fan service, dog letter, and shouting to different countries around Japan were particularly creative and humorous. And I like the ending; silly shows should have silly endings, even if I don't particularly care for the style.

I'm not sure what subs I watched, but I'm glad they made the effort to localize some of the puns, even if it's not a direct translation of what the characters are saying.
Jul 9, 2012 2:07 PM

Oct 2011
Ending was quite good, but nothing else.

"A group of girls discuss random things and usually reach an unusual or humorous conclusion that's far from the initial discussion topic." I couldn't find anything humorous or jokes were so dead?

MissileSoup - Probably [gg]'s subs.
They keep on repeating the same things all over again. I just couldn't find anything to give it a shoot and watch 2 episode.

Unfortunately, dropped. Ah, forgot to mention, I'm not going to rate it as I don't intend to finish it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2012 2:14 PM
Nov 2011
I must agree, the ed was AMAZING and I actually liked how the characters put themselves down a bit at the beginning, kinda like they're saying "We warned you, don't blame us if you don't like it~!"
But when it comes to the Japanese jokes and people saying you won't understand them... I guess when it comes to politics it might be slightly harder but in my opinion you can get the idea/feel of the joke even if you don't fully understand it and, if you've watched anime for a long time and/or lived with the same kind of environment of Japanese jokes (I've just watched shows personally) then I think you start to get used to and understand more and more of they're humor... Personally I can be watching a japanese comedy and laughing my head off when my sister'll come over and watch from behind with a puzzled look like "What the heck's so funny??"
Jul 9, 2012 3:04 PM

Dec 2009
Jul 9, 2012 4:24 PM

Jul 2009
arsonal said:
All I care about is the addictive ED. It's just as crazy as Kill Me Baby.
Yeah, the ending kicks brain. ;)

They made this anime entirely to piss off us internet watchers. xD
First they make fun of us by saying how most of their viewrs won't pay for watching.
Then, they know that
Chinonozu said:
People who don't understand Japanese wil most likelyl get butthurt for not understanding the jokes and references [...] Subs won't help you unless the whole screen is filled with tlnotes
and say that "This anime was full of simple dialoggue to let the viewers enjoy the cuteness of the girls" to rub it in. xDDD
Jul 9, 2012 6:45 PM

Aug 2011
This was actually surprisingly entertaining. And I liked the self-parodying about it just being about cute girls.

And the ED is stupidly catchy.
Jul 9, 2012 7:08 PM

Jan 2011
man times like these were i wish i knew a bit more Japanese but i love the ED lol
Jul 9, 2012 8:50 PM
Mar 2012
ah..racism jokes other asian countries and russians are not gonna like that i promise you that...there are still lot of tensions between neighbouring countries and it isn't like only japanese are watching this show..
>_> tech statement i wasn't too happy...korea surpassed japan in technology now and its not like technology is japanese property only. koreans used their own method to become one of the strongest tech nation
land to russians
tech to south korean
people to north koreans
and submarine to somewhere else..probably china
i will see how it goes though :3
soupmanJul 9, 2012 8:57 PM
Jul 9, 2012 9:02 PM

Dec 2009
Chinonozu said:
People who don't understand Japanese will most likely get butthurt for not understanding the jokes and references so this anime gets rated down to oblivion. Subs won't help you unless the whole screen is filled with tlnotes so yeah.

Yup. unfortunate too. It is really quite humorous if you like the type of humor (puns and play on words and whatnot). Still, the animation is great, and the ending was the best I seen in a while just cause it is funny. I think it is enough just watching the visualized situations they get into.
Jul 9, 2012 9:03 PM
Mar 2012
japanese butthurt that koreans surpassed in tech field. "give back the technology" <- in other word admitting that korea surpassed japanese in tech.
soupmanJul 9, 2012 9:10 PM
Jul 9, 2012 9:04 PM

Dec 2009
furuuru said:

like this.

Hahaha, yeah, I was laughing at my free sub downloaded episode!
Jul 9, 2012 9:20 PM

Dec 2009
JerichoxBarrons said:
I didnt get any of their stuff. I feel kind of dumb but Im going to keep watching! Can anyone explain some of the stuff to me? Like the ending where they're pointing at the different areas on the map. Was that to make fun of different countries?

See my full review of this episode here: http://animeordie.blogspot.com/2012/07/episode-review-joshiraku-112.html

The land may be the four islands in the north claimed by both Russia and Japan, and they seem to be arguing more about it lately in the news.
The people may be the movement of people from Japan to China recently.
The technology may be either China (obviously) or maybe Indonesia.
The submarine reference may be about the Australian fleet getting Japanese subs.
The last one is most likely the taxes or recent raise in taxes.

I am prolly mostly wrong, as those are rough guesses.

Edit: See a few posts up for my mistakes. lol
razorblade81Jul 9, 2012 9:23 PM
Jul 9, 2012 9:24 PM
Mar 2012
razorblade81 said:
The land may be the four islands in the north claimed by both Russia and Japan, and they seem to be arguing more about it lately in the news.
The people may be the movement of people from Japan to China recently.
The technology may be either China (obviously) or maybe Indonesia.
The submarine reference may be about the Australian fleet getting Japanese subs.
The last one is most likely the taxes or recent raise in taxes.

I am prolly mostly wrong, as those are rough guesses.

Naw man
north koreans kidnapping of japanese happened during a period of six years from 1977 to 1983
look at the map it is pointing to korea when talking about tech (its not like we learned it for free they charged huge amount of loyalty)
russians yes you got that correct
submarine is more like china (this is my guess)
i mean why even make such bold statement that provokes other country in national tv show
soupmanJul 9, 2012 9:28 PM
Jul 9, 2012 10:01 PM
Mar 2012
if i remember it correctly japanese agreed in treaty of san francisco that they would give up 4 islands to russia
wiki: "The document officially renounces Japan's treaty rights derived from the Boxer Protocol of 1901 and its rights to Korea, Formosa (Taiwan) and the Pescadores, Hong Kong (then a British colony), the Kuril Islands, the Spratly Islands, Antarctica and Sakhalin Island."
Jul 9, 2012 10:31 PM

Feb 2012
kihira said:
japanese butthurt that koreans surpassed in tech field. "give back the technology" <- in other word admitting that korea surpassed japanese in tech.

I don't think that line represents the sentiments of all of Japan lmao. If anything, that was the only thing that could make the joke work. No need to get too serious about it :)
Jul 9, 2012 10:37 PM
Mar 2012
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

I don't think that line represents the sentiments of all of Japan lmao. If anything, that was the only thing that could make the joke work. No need to get too serious about it :)

tbh that joke was shit. not funny at all. i think no one even laughed. just the problem is that no one knows the relationship and historical facts between japan and other neighbouring countries like the natives of those countries. if american or any other people excluding people from russia or asian countries saw this without knowing the history they would just think that "oh russia really stole the island. oh korea is just nation stealing things from other country, china is copying all the time, etc" manipulating the facts and spreading lies that is what i'm worried about. (i'm saying some would think this way not all of you guys)
soupmanJul 9, 2012 10:40 PM
Jul 9, 2012 11:53 PM

Jul 2009
kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

tbh that joke was shit. not funny at all. i think no one even laughed. just the problem is that no one knows the relationship and historical facts between japan and other neighbouring countries like the natives of those countries. if american or any other people excluding people from russia or asian countries saw this without knowing the history they would just think that "oh russia really stole the island. oh korea is just nation stealing things from other country, china is copying all the time, etc" manipulating the facts and spreading lies that is what i'm worried about. (i'm saying some would think this way not all of you guys)

This will tell you more about the joke in detail and as to why the joke was even used in the first place.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 10, 2012 12:00 AM
Mar 2012
arsonal said:
kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

This will tell you more about the joke in detail and as to why the joke was even used in the first place.

this is what i don't exactly like. i don't see why some people are just nodding their heads like all he is saying is correct. it is bs except that north korean one. its all fiction..
it is like the logic where tutor charges a kid ton of money for teaching him some little facts. later kid would becoming famous scientist for huge finding and tutor says hey that knowledge isn't the kids but his instead because the tutor told some little fact <- korea's case
another logic is where the kid agrees to give the game console for free to another kid and later comes up to the kid 10 days later and says that it is his <- russia's case
soupmanJul 10, 2012 12:18 AM
Jul 10, 2012 1:00 AM
Jul 2009
Overall, I quite enjoyed most of this epsode. I will probably need to watch it again as I wasn't in the right frame of mind (and wasn't expecting to need to be) to catch a lot of jokes. The one I did however, I didn't appreciate at all (obviously, the 'kaese' one). It was actually kinda off-putting seeing how happily the 'cute girls' said those things OTL...
Jul 10, 2012 6:51 AM

Nov 2007
So funny, laughed at quite a few moments. Cute ED. This series is a keeper.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 10, 2012 10:02 AM

Feb 2012
Sorry but dropped, I didn't even finish the episode because it bored the hell out of me.
Jul 10, 2012 10:59 AM

Oct 2007
Wow just wow.

So to understand an episode, how many things do I have to learn?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 10, 2012 11:33 AM

Jun 2011
Loved it, though I feel sad that I don't understand many jokes because I don't understand Japanese, though it is still quite funny to me.
Jul 10, 2012 12:32 PM

Aug 2008
kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

Yeah... I think what you're actually talking about is stupid people. And I doubt that joke was aimed at people without the knowledge to get it.

And by the way, Russia is an Asian country so this sentence is even more 'missed' ;]
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 10, 2012 1:19 PM
Mar 2012
Antanaru said:
kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

Yeah... I think what you're actually talking about is stupid people. And I doubt that joke was aimed at people without the knowledge to get it.

And by the way, Russia is an Asian country so this sentence is even more 'missed' ;]

russia can go either way. they like to think of themselves as european not asian. of course the show is aimed at japanese and i'm just saying that most foreigners watching this thing lack the historical facts. why even try to raise nationalism in a wrong way. thats like hiding behind the desk and saying whatever they want b/c the author is too coward. the problem is that the author is too right wing oriented. keep this bullshit statement in 2chan not on national tv. u wouldn't like it if they bashed your country like that in the tv. i don't really have any other problem than that some of the jokes were decent also.
soupmanJul 10, 2012 1:25 PM
Jul 10, 2012 1:43 PM

Sep 2010
I'm Russian. I had laughed when there was the "give back our land" joke.

But it's painful to know Japanese hate us for "stealing their land", we aren't guilty that shitty politics (from both sides) can't negotiate normally.
2e16nig.png
Jul 10, 2012 1:44 PM

Nov 2010
Bunch of little kids babbling. Another set of girls wants their anime this season eh?
Jul 10, 2012 3:21 PM
Jan 2011
I love this so far, but yeah, it would be much easier if someone would explain gags, because most of them are really hard to understand for someone outside Japan...

Because real metalheads are KAWAII.
Jul 10, 2012 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
kihira said:
arsonal said:
kihira said:
jimjameswhatever said:
kihira said:

this is what i don't exactly like. i don't see why some people are just nodding their heads like all he is saying is correct. it is bs except that north korean one. its all fiction..
it is like the logic where tutor charges a kid ton of money for teaching him some little facts. later kid would becoming famous scientist for huge finding and tutor says hey that knowledge isn't the kids but his instead because the tutor told some little fact <- korea's case
another logic is where the kid agrees to give the game console for free to another kid and later comes up to the kid 10 days later and says that it is his <- russia's case

I feel like I should comment on this (thank you for reading my blog, btw).

No where do I say that I agree with Kumeta's political viewpoints in any way. He is as entitled to his own opinions on Japan's neighbors as you or I. As a Chinese-born individual, I specifically disagree with Kumeta's viewpoint on China, but I can take a joke.

That said, let's get our history right. South Sakhalin was held by the Japanese until Treaty of St. Petersburg in 1875, when the Japanese traded the land with Russia for the Kuril Islands. The Japanese reclaimed the land after the Russio-Japanese war in early 1900 (I think it was 1906?). The Russians took the whole island back 2 days after Nagasaki was nuked and govern it to this day. Not since 1875 has Japan "given" the island away -- both countries have conquered and reconquered the land.

North Korea abducted several Japanese citizens in the in the late 70's/early 80's that is clear as day. That segment is a joke, yes, but let's remember the facts before we dismiss it.
Jul 10, 2012 3:55 PM

Jan 2010
ED was so cute. Didn't really get most of the show, but wasn't really bored throughout.
Jul 10, 2012 4:29 PM
Mar 2012
kevo said:

No where do I say that I agree with Kumeta's political viewpoints in any way. He is as entitled to his own opinions on Japan's neighbors as you or I. As a Chinese-born individual, I specifically disagree with Kumeta's viewpoint on China, but I can take a joke.

That said, let's get our history right. South Sakhalin was held by the Japanese until Treaty of St. Petersburg in 1875, when the Japanese traded the land with Russia for the Kuril Islands. The Japanese reclaimed the land after the Russio-Japanese war in early 1900 (I think it was 1906?). The Russians took the whole island back 2 days after Nagasaki was nuked and govern it to this day. Not since 1875 has Japan "given" the island away -- both countries have conquered and reconquered the land.

North Korea abducted several Japanese citizens in the in the late 70's/early 80's that is clear as day. That segment is a joke, yes, but let's remember the facts before we dismiss it.

http://www.niraikanai.wwma.net/pages/archive/sanfran.html
read this. japan officially gave it up. this was the final treaty between the two countries on that issue
i maybe taking this too seriously but his jokes are always going too far sometimes. i know that he has his own opinion but there are somethings not to say in the media. if he wants to say it keep it to 2chan.
i wasn't too happy when kumeta says that 'countries that likes to play victim' (reference to korea and china obviously) in szs season 1 episode 12 (i enjoyed the show but there are moments where the joke is going to far)
when did korea ever PLAY as a victim. we are just fighting for something that we deserve. even dokdo case is another which japan (playing INNOCENTLY and trying to claim that it is theirs)
in korea media they don't go as far as he does. just want him to restrain his racism as much as possible at least in the tv not that he will stop it.
Jul 10, 2012 4:50 PM

Jan 2012
Well it was nice and fun. Will stick to this for now. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 10, 2012 7:37 PM

Dec 2007
While the show isn't boring per say it isn't that funny either. And yes I do get the jokes. It's still not funny. I'll give a few more episodes I guess. Sometimes they do pick up.
Jul 10, 2012 8:48 PM

Aug 2007
kihira said:
kevo said:

http://www.niraikanai.wwma.net/pages/archive/sanfran.html
read this. japan officially gave it up. this was the final treaty between the two countries on that issue
i maybe taking this too seriously but his jokes are always going too far sometimes. i know that he has his own opinion but there are somethings not to say in the media. if he wants to say it keep it to 2chan.
i wasn't too happy when kumeta says that 'countries that likes to play victim' (reference to korea and china obviously) in szs season 1 episode 12 (i enjoyed the show but there are moments where the joke is going to far)
when did korea ever PLAY as a victim. we are just fighting for something that we deserve. even dokdo case is another which japan (playing INNOCENTLY and trying to claim that it is theirs)
in korea media they don't go as far as he does. just want him to restrain his racism as much as possible at least in the tv not that he will stop it.

The Treaty of San Francisco was forced on Japan, bro. It dissolved all their overseas territories as punishment for WWII. I would hardly call it voluntary.
Jul 10, 2012 9:03 PM

Nov 2010
I enjoyed this way more than I thought from the synopsis, though a did miss a joke here and there.

I didn't expect to see butthurt over the gags though.

Also enjoyed more of Hyadain's work on this one.
ShadowGilgameshJul 10, 2012 10:28 PM
Jul 10, 2012 11:19 PM

May 2011
Although I didn't understand a lot of the jokes/ puns, this was still pretty ok. I especially like how they completely break the 4th-wall though lol. And that scene where they were teasing Marii and stripping her naked was fun to watch.
Jul 11, 2012 2:12 AM

Jan 2011
I loved the ED... especially the shamisen part. I immediately looked it up and it seems the Yoshida Brothers are playing it :O
Jul 11, 2012 5:22 AM

Jul 2010
Saori Goto :3
That's all I need from this anime.
She did a rakugo girl before, didn't she?
Oh it was Rakugo Tennyo Oyui.
Jul 12, 2012 4:23 AM

Apr 2010
I really enjoyed it even though I don't get most of the puns. And the ED is awesome :D
Jul 13, 2012 10:19 AM
Jun 2010
Great series overall. I don't get all jokes but whit google you can get almost everything from this series. Like someone say'd characters names are little hard but you learn to remember them.

Noticed some similarities whit Zetsubou-sensei. So this seems to be full of japan politics and tv series easter eggs.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MorningGlory - Jul 20, 2012

65 by RGreatDanton »»
May 9, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mirorin - Jul 15, 2012

81 by RGreatDanton »»
May 9, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WildWhiteLynx - Sep 27, 2012

77 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 23, 7:37 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 12 Discussion

maccha - Sep 21, 2012

36 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 18, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Joshiraku Episode 11 Discussion

maccha - Sep 14, 2012

37 by HoneyBees91 »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.