Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 29, 2012 4:29 PM

Sep 2011
I can't believe that Shinchiro Watanabe actually directed this.
Most overrated piece of shit teenage melodrama I've seen in a long time. I don't mind dram, but having drama, just for the sake of drama won't turn out good.
So it starts off following the same pattern it always did: Kaoru does something stupid, followed by Kaoru feeling self-loathing and regret. Kaoru does something stupid and he doesn't talk to either Ritsuko or Sentarou for an episode or two, that's most of the drama and it's very weak because it's not believable.
There's the scene where he stands outside of her window, followed by the scene at the train station which led to nothing, now I can appreciate these clichés, but Ritsuko and Kaoru's relationship overall felt very, ehh fake I guess you could say. Every single interaction between these two characters feels so incredibly not real or genuine, and I never believed that these were supposedly real people. It was never engaging and never connected with me in any meaningful way, and I'm actually a sucker for romantic comedies with no brains, so that should say something about this show. The train scene I couldn't care less about, the train scene with Yurika and Junichi however, was much more emotional and I genuinely cared, because it felt to me like they were actually in love. Kaoru and Ritsuko though? There's no emotion coming off the screen between those two.
Okay enough about those two. Then there's the rest of the episode which is pretty weak aswell. There's an 8 year time skip and Kaoru's working as a doctor and sporting a mullet. Then they show what happened to the guy with the lolifang because that's so interesting ofcourrse (sarcasm). Then he goes and meets Sentarou and then Ritsuko comes or whatever. This failed to have an impact because we never actually got any time to start missing these characters. Ritsuko was gone for like 4 minutes and Sentarou just left at the end of the last episode. Supposedly Kaoru was all miserable or whatever (I guess) from having his bromance leave him and the girl he likes resent him after he got all rapey, but this didn't connect with me because 1. Kaoru's a dick 2. Kaoru's an asshole. But when they meet up they're all friends or whatever and we never know if Kaoru learns his lesson about friendship which was supposed to be the premise of this show.

All in all, too much unecessary, boring melodrama, and too little Jazz. A boring main character who might aswell not exist, and also a female lead with no depth or personality. There's no clever writing to be found, no good lessons to learn, and nothing that will really stick with you after you've seen this show
The only good thing to come out of this show was the OP/ED music, and the episodes about Yurika and Junichi.

4/10 and then I wonder if I'm being too generous
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 29, 2012 5:46 PM

Oct 2010
Why did this have to get only twelve episodes? Thirteen would have been enough to give this a closure. ;___; </3

The ending wasn't perfect, but I loved it. Considering the amount of time per episode, I think they did a pretty good job compressing things together.

10/10 for this because that was really good considering this is only twelve episodes. D8 AND THE MUSIC WAS BEAUTIFUL AND EVERYONE'S BEAUTIFUL. Jazz ftw.
[insert awesome signature here]
Jun 29, 2012 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
RonSwanson said:
Most overrated piece of shit teenage melodrama I've seen in a long time. I don't mind dram, but having drama, just for the sake of drama won't turn out good.
So it starts off following the same pattern it always did: Kaoru does something stupid, followed by Kaoru feeling self-loathing and regret. Kaoru does something stupid and he doesn't talk to either Ritsuko or Sentarou for an episode or two, that's most of the drama and it's very weak because it's not believable.
There's the scene where he stands outside of her window, followed by the scene at the train station which led to nothing, now I can appreciate these clichés, but Ritsuko and Kaoru's relationship overall felt very, ehh fake I guess you could say. Every single interaction between these two characters feels so incredibly not real or genuine, and I never believed that these were supposedly real people. It was never engaging and never connected with me in any meaningful way, and I'm actually a sucker for romantic comedies with no brains, so that should say something about this show. The train scene I couldn't care less about, the train scene with Yurika and Junichi however, was much more emotional and I genuinely cared, because it felt to me like they were actually in love. Kaoru and Ritsuko though? There's no emotion coming off the screen between those two.
Okay enough about those two. Then there's the rest of the episode which is pretty weak aswell. There's an 8 year time skip and Kaoru's working as a doctor and sporting a mullet. Then they show what happened to the guy with the lolifang because that's so interesting ofcourrse (sarcasm). Then he goes and meets Sentarou and then Ritsuko comes or whatever. This failed to have an impact because we never actually got any time to start missing these characters. Ritsuko was gone for like 4 minutes and Sentarou just left at the end of the last episode. Supposedly Kaoru was all miserable or whatever (I guess) from having his bromance leave him and the girl he likes resent him after he got all rapey, but this didn't connect with me because 1. Kaoru's a dick 2. Kaoru's an asshole. But when they meet up they're all friends or whatever and we never know if Kaoru learns his lesson about friendship which was supposed to be the premise of this show.

All in all, too much unecessary, boring melodrama, and too little Jazz. A boring main character who might aswell not exist, and also a female lead with no depth or personality. There's no clever writing to be found, no good lessons to learn, and nothing that will really stick with you after you've seen this show
The only good thing to come out of this show was the OP/ED music, and the episodes about Yurika and Junichi.

Note sure if I'd go that far, but glad to see someone else who doesn't think this is the greatest show ever. Also, I absolutely hated Yurika and Jun, haha.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 29, 2012 7:54 PM

Feb 2012
Pretty solid show all-around.

Didn't exactly like the ending. Felt rushed so I'm giving it an 8/10 instead of 9/10. I'm not a big fan of huge time-skips to wrap things up. I felt they could have fit in one more ep to wrap it up better.
Jun 29, 2012 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
UM. Everything is beautiful and all, but where the hell is my post-timeskip Jun-nii?! DAMN IT.
Jun 29, 2012 8:44 PM
Jun 2012
RonSwanson said:

My God, I can't believe I just read through this piece of garbage.

It's a slice of life series for a reason. If you don't like reality in an anime, then so be it. Don't criticize this show because it is actually of good quality.
Jun 29, 2012 10:07 PM

Nov 2008
The ending was kind of unsatisfying, but the anime was good overall.

I really enjoyed the reunion between Sentaro and Kaoru : )
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jun 29, 2012 11:02 PM

Jun 2012
I have read the last volume of the manga and was shocked at how much they cut out of Kaoru's college years. This definitely would have felt more complete with at least 1 episode showing our main character in Tokyo but the anime ending feels right too. The anime adaptation was about Kaoru and the friendships/jazz he encountered in his highschool years. If this had gone into his college years this show wouldn't be slice of life anymore. I can take both but the manga ending rounds out the story definitively
Jun 29, 2012 11:41 PM

May 2011
It was a very nice anime. If there isn't any cut away scene, I'll had rated it 10/10...

So it's 9/10 for me.
Jun 30, 2012 2:54 AM
Jan 2011
superzombie23 said:
The ending was very rushed compared to the manga.

I don't know why they just didn't add another episode... There was so much emotion that they cut out, and they just turned it into a simple end rather than a complex one. Rushed endings are the worst....

i completely, freaking agree with you!
Jun 30, 2012 5:00 AM

Jan 2011
The pacing was real quick but it was beautiful, and just a masterpiece. :D It was really really great. Hands down.
Jun 30, 2012 5:45 AM

Jul 2008
I am kind of pissed that classmate became a celebrity.
Jun 30, 2012 6:13 AM

Sep 2011
PianoBlack said:
If you don't like reality in an anime, then so be it

Wasn't one of my points the fact that most of the characters didn't feel like real people? You fail
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 30, 2012 6:40 AM

Mar 2012
GarLogan78 said:
I am kind of pissed that classmate became a celebrity.

We all know there's no way a mediocre looking flamboyant guy could become famous in real life, so nothing to worry about.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 30, 2012 7:14 AM

Oct 2010
wow, i really enjoyed this series, especially the last episode. i think the music was my favorite part of the series. now even though i didn't watch many series last season i think this is defiantly the best one, strange that is is a Josei and i am a reasonably young boy haha
Jun 30, 2012 7:41 AM

Apr 2009
No OP was weird for me since I'm already used to it and was even expecting by this time. :( ...And then to my surprise it was the insert song before the ED. XD

They didn't even have to talk when they saw each other after 8 years, they just have to play their instruments. Suddenly it's exactly like the school festival from 9 years ago, replacing high school and students with church and kids, respectively. It ended the same way too! LOL

Ah I wanted to see Jun too, but I was glad he was doing OK. I also wanted to see him marry Ritsuko but whatever.

This has been a very unexpected show for me as I've said almost 3 months ago when I saw the first episode that I downloaded on a whim. I'm not even into jazz and I thought the twists were cliche but still clever, still in the end I didn't mind them at all. Oh and thank God for Yoko Kanno. XDD

I would rate it 8 but I really enjoyed this, so 9/10 for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 30, 2012 10:22 AM

Nov 2011
This show still left me wanting more :/ Should of been a double episode to could of fitted more in.
8 years and he didn't even search for Jun? I don't get that.
It's either a high 9 (9.5-9.9) or a 10 for me just wish it wasn't as rushed overall.
Jun 30, 2012 10:45 AM

Oct 2010
I kinda wish they had animated what happened during that 8 year time skip but oh well.

This show was very sweet and nice. I'm going to miss it.
Jun 30, 2012 10:59 AM

Jun 2012
oh god 10/10 this anime was so beautiful
even though it was 12 episodes I felt it had a lot of solid characters all around.
definitely in the running for best anime of 2012
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jun 30, 2012 11:31 AM

Oct 2006
Moral of the story: Running away solves all your problems. Very disappointed with this show, especially since the first half was so good.
Jun 30, 2012 11:59 AM

Jan 2011
So perfect. 10/10
Jun 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
The ending really reminded me of how much i love the OP song :'D
Kaoru looks so good with long hair 83
And i cried during their jamming session in the church ; u ;
Beatiful anime <3
Jun 30, 2012 2:40 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
"I've been trying to forget him all this time, but my heart is beating fast."
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that this is the real romance in this show concerning Kaoru. Not Ritsuko. Never Ritsuko!

Either way, up to a more serious tone, I rly disliked the last epi. The bromance was too heavy for me. It was more like his gf dumped him than his friend leaving. Even Ritsuko who knows Sen longer and better could get through it much better. It was rly too much for me and thus very unreal. The 8 years later part... no impression. He found his long lost love (who apparently was waiting for it but never did anything himself) and everything was ok again in the world. Oh and then he found his fake long lost love who I didn't like with short hair at all :I (Way to go for drums in the church though!)

I liked the series more or less. Felt it was too fast sometimes and this last epi just killed it for me with unreal reactions all arnd but generally it gave off a nice feeling but I can't help finding it mediocre. The characters' relationships felt shallow at best concerning most of them and that's why I said it was fast. Oh well~
Jun 30, 2012 5:33 PM

May 2008
I want to see when does Sentaro explain where he have been all this time =/

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 30, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2011
Perfection
Jun 30, 2012 5:43 PM

Jan 2011
Does anyone know the name of the medley they did together when they reunited?
Jun 30, 2012 8:13 PM
Nov 2007
I was expecting some kind of love ending but guess it wasn't meant to be. Like wtf happen to Ritsuko and Kaoru....But in some sense it feel like a shounen ai anime for some reason....bro love, and end with bro love....Like who the hell ignore their love one for 8 years haha.....
Jun 30, 2012 9:25 PM

Jul 2008
I found that satisfying in so many ways.
Jun 30, 2012 9:27 PM

Jun 2011
loved it 8/10 for a beautiful ending
Jun 30, 2012 10:45 PM

Jun 2009
Very nice ending

Wasn't expecting them to jump 8 yrs later. Thought they would leave it open for a 2nd season where they find Sentaro and try to make it big as jazz artists. But I guess not....either way I enjoyed watching this and the music is what made the show so enjoyable.

8/10
Jun 30, 2012 11:38 PM

May 2011
sajpowell said:

I don't know what it's called but it's the arrangement they originally planned to play for their last high school festival before Sen left. ( I know, right in the feels)
Jul 1, 2012 12:12 AM

Jun 2011
Good ending but i feel that its missing a proper closure as to what happens next so 9/10 for me if not it'll be a 10/10
Jul 1, 2012 6:04 AM

Jul 2011
Fantastic ending to a fantastic series. I'm not a big SOL fan so there was always a thought in the back of my mind that i might end up hating this but i enjoyed almost every moment of it. Even though the ending was quite sad how they all grew apart and went their separate ways, it just made it that more special when they reunited and had their jam session.

sajpowell said:

Moanin' by Art Blakey.
Jul 1, 2012 6:12 AM
Mar 2012
Closure is overrated.
Jul 1, 2012 6:17 AM

Dec 2009
dagRoll said:
The ending with the three of them standing together gave me the shivers <3

I'll miss this anime :/

This.

The ending was perfect and I don't mind the time skip, It was smooth all around like this too.

One of the best shows in a while, I am happy I watched this awesome show.

9/10
Jul 1, 2012 7:41 AM

Jul 2011
Hands down the best series of the season. Maybe of the year. 10/10
OrangeHollow.png
Jul 1, 2012 8:32 AM

May 2010
I know it's kinda vague to let the show end with just a session and 3 of them meeting again.
But the music and their expressions were enough for me to be overly-joyed with such ending.

Overall, one of the series that can change views in life and will always be remembered.
Jul 1, 2012 9:36 AM
Sep 2011
It was good but nothing i will watch again. Still i gave it an 8/10 because it had a nice ending. Would liked it more if it had an more romantic ending.
Jul 1, 2012 10:35 AM
May 2012
Woah, never regretted picking this one up mid-season.

Best plot for the season for me, though not the best anime. But still, i like how they executed the plot, and the character development, and the music is worth listening, Jazz really is good.

Good ending,and that's about it. 8/10.
Jul 1, 2012 11:25 AM

Jun 2011
I loved it. I guess some love-centred ending wouldn't have fitted this anime, and it's more realistic this way. I'll probably re-watch it some time.
Jul 1, 2012 2:57 PM

Jun 2008
sajpowell said:
You mean "Moanin'"?

Anyways I had to give a dislike to the episode (2/5). There was so much that was taken out and rewritten to fit in the 22 minutes that the episode seemed forced and incomplete. It wasn't very emotional for an ending because there was no build-up to make you want to know what happened. It's sad that they couldn't at least make this a double-episodes because all the things that Kaoru did while in college and medical school give a fully understanding to how he acted the way he did.

Sorry, I can't give a good rating of this episode. But as a whole, the series was very good.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 1, 2012 4:33 PM

Mar 2009
it's like she sat the characters free

BRILLIANT ending

the only thing bothering me is where Sentaro disappeared
Jul 1, 2012 5:13 PM

Jun 2012
Kurimu-chan said:
Tears were shed.

So.
many.
tears.

BRILLIANT ENDING.
And Ritsuko's hair looks better 8 years later!

This. So this.

I'm so caught up in emotion I can't even use my own words to describe how wonderful I think this show was. So thanks for saying them for me, Kurimu-chan T_T
Jul 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Oct 2007
I love how this show managed to get in Top 50 on MAL, the world is full of surprise, it seems.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 1, 2012 7:16 PM

Sep 2011
I was a bit worried there for a second, thought they weren't going to make all three of them meet up again. Thank god they did.

Though I cant believe it took them all 8 years to meet up again... its kind of sad. I wanted quick resolution between Kaoru and Ristuko because that train scene didn't help at all! It was bothering me so much, but oh well, awesome ending for an awesome anime! :)
Jul 1, 2012 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
Was hoping for a lot more Jazz going in but was still great in it's own right.
Jul 1, 2012 10:21 PM

Feb 2010
So spectacular...

This series gave me goosebumps all the way until the end.

What a magical show; it shows raw human emotion mixed with music....<3

....I want more. 9/10.
Jul 1, 2012 10:58 PM
Jun 2012
Siva said:
I love how this show managed to get in Top 50 on MAL, the world is full of surprise, it seems.

It's a little high on the list, but I'd say it's pretty deserving of a top spot. What left me in disbelief was how low Cowboy Bebop is on that list. My God...
Jul 2, 2012 3:02 AM

Dec 2008
Very nice ending for a one of the best animes of this year. I did not see anything gay in this anime, but but some people confuse true friendship with gay-relation ._.

Well, 9/10 for me
Jul 2, 2012 3:23 AM

Oct 2011
another great show ended too soon this season...........definitely was amazed by the sheer abundance of great anime this season - feel like i gave out too many nines (one of which this show definitely deserves).....my only complaints were: too short + didn't want to see nishimi-san end up as a doctor of all things, but in the end, i guess that's why i dug this show so much - it's like real life: you never know where you'll end up......scene in the church at the end really hit home for me, as i've recently reunited with my old band after 13 years apart - you never lose that groove!
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.