Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 20, 2012 10:02 PM

Feb 2011
InfiniteDestiny said:
Thus you could be optimistic about the potential plot ideas; heck this image alone proves questions as to who is going to do what, etc

Not to mention i seriously don't think the mystery is over; its just a guess but i think they will all connect somehow in the end; like for example if they start "another" mystery it connects to the one just "solved"

Calm down, bro, I was just expressing my opinion at this point, not directly attacking this show ;P.

Never saw that image, but I guess it does look interesting. Like I said, I wasn't as hyped for Hyouka like a lot of people are. I was more partial to Shirokuma Cafe, Kimi to Boku, and Apollon this season, but Hyouka at the moment is still so-so for me. At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if it went down hill or became engrossingly interesting, just depends how it all pans out for me, personally.
May 20, 2012 10:06 PM

Dec 2011
InfiniteDestiny said:
kaarosu_318 said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
kaarosu_318 said:
Can somebody explain to me about the whole ice cream thing? I really don't get it. Why did such a pun make Chitanda cry?

Well say it to yourself, ice cream, i scream...not that hard, thus why Oreki said lame pun; as for why Chitanda cried i think she said it; its because she feared being "dead" while still alive; thus the whole animation with the rabbit being sacrificed while everyone turned away.

I know it was a pun. It's not that hard to figure it out. Now I'm wondering about the "being 'dead' while still alive" part. What does that supposed to mean?

I just explained that also but...to phrase it in a different way from what i understood it to be is to be cast off, the uncle was "sacrificed" as was shown with that rabbit animation and was treated as the dead even though he was still alive since not one person gave him notice despite what occurred; thus the whole meaning, you are still breathing and alive but people treat you as if you died.
Oh, ok. That makes sense now. Thanks.
May 20, 2012 10:18 PM

May 2011
Ice cream turned into I scream.

Damn you Oreki, you such a 'conan' there!
May 20, 2012 10:29 PM

Oct 2010
kaarosu_318 said:
Can somebody explain to me about the whole ice cream thing? I really don't get it. Why did such a pun make Chitanda cry?
IMO it's such a simple term deriving from a kindergartner's song that was given new meaning in a dark sense. We never think of the term "I scream" as something scary since you just start hearing an ice cream truck in your head at that point, but at its simplest roots the phrase can easily conjure up some scary imagery. Forget the sweet version, close your eyes, and link that term to an abandoned child left in the dark. Envision their setting, then read the words in your mind- at the very least I get some terrifying visions.

That's what I liked about everything so far. A concept so basic it seems pointless to debate and discover, yet it's diverse enough in its execution that it builds up to a satisfying point. While they didn't use any straight-up scary animations (aside from the rabbit being attacked, good god!), the silence and the slowly darkening atmospheres carried everything. It's one of those things that didn't need much dialog and it worked very well.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 20, 2012 10:29 PM

Nov 2007
first time i ever considered a hyouka ep so short tbh. the first few episodes had me checking the timeline from time to time but i didn't have to do it for this week's ep. ; w ;

and now i know what i'll say when i'm craving ice cream
I SCREAM 4 ICE CREAM
May 20, 2012 10:31 PM

Aug 2011
Well, that was pretty cool, I guess. That ice cream pun was smart. Looking forward to seeing more mystery-related plot soon.
May 20, 2012 10:39 PM
Mar 2008
didn't his sister send a letter from india? Maybe she found the missing uncle or something...
May 20, 2012 10:41 PM

Nov 2008
I'm kind of disappointed in how this "mystery" ended. I was hoping for a more climatic revelation, but it fell flat.

Anyway, I hope that something new comes up soon.
May 20, 2012 10:49 PM

Aug 2008
That concludes the student's movement mystery. All in all very nice conclusions.

But man, that pun was really lame.

meelo said:
I SCREAM 4 ICE CREAM

This is how you turn a lame pun into a good pun. I like it.
May 20, 2012 10:49 PM

Aug 2010
Ardamaeus said:
Since the mystery is solved, what now? 16 eps left o-O.

Well considering the fact that the overview says events that happened 33 years ago, and the fact that these events were 45 years ago, something else is going to be discovered that will continue on.

I will say this was the strongest episode yet. Past two episodes have been great, but we'll see if it lasts going into next ep.
May 20, 2012 10:52 PM

Jan 2011
everything up to this point has been amazing and this episode set the bar even higher!
May 20, 2012 10:59 PM

Dec 2010
KaitoDash said:
But man, that pun was really lame.

Well it was meant to be lol, even Oreki said it was lame :P
May 20, 2012 11:02 PM
May 2012
Was probably the best episode so far.
May 20, 2012 11:09 PM

Oct 2010
raxius1230 said:
Well in the end good episode this mystery is over...or is it?? I feel there is still way more to it.
Yeah find THE SHIT HEAD WHO STARTED THE SHIT MOVEMENT! Kill him or punch him or just plain take revenge. Mister no name mention that made Jun have that draw-straw shit game and as a result become the shit taker of any shit to come at him instead of eating that shit head on.

I think the lesson may be right under our noses. WHEN SHIT COMES JUST SAY NO! Simple as that. No I don't want to be part of your shit! No I don't want to be in this anymore. No leave me alone! No I am out of this shit! Do it alone! Sadly Jun demonstrated what it is to be a helpless scapegoat and in thee end be eaten.

It is to say that to be strong means to deny what we do not want or that we fell not easy with. To leave off all associations of it and to finally be free of its burden rather than be part of it for x reasons such as duty, pride or being part of something that you do not want to disconnect from.

May 20, 2012 11:22 PM
Oct 2010
I was hopping for better but that's my own fault. It was good enough. The pun was creative and the explanation for Eru's desolation as a child and eventual longing for the memory are satisfying, IMO at least.

It could turn out to be very good if the lesson of becoming strong enough to avoid being used and discarded by others proves to be useful in their future.

It would also be great if there's more "hidden truth". Considering there was some vague foreshadow, there are several possible mysteries ensuing from it... For example, maybe that fire on the building had a purpose outside the protest and the perpetrator had used the incident to hide his true intent.

... Well, I better not raise too much my expectations, though it might be hard to do so considering the genre...

wakka9ca said:
shanticas said:
I thought that Hyouka only meant for Ice, not ice cream. The more we learn eh?
Hyou = Ice
Ka = dessert

Essentially what ice cream was used to be called, unlike the more used Engrish word aisu kurimu.
Well, shanticas is right in a sense. Hyouka is indeed ice but as in ice candy, a dairy free "ice cream" formally called sorbet.

So, the literal translation of Hyouka would be that, sorbet... Of course, that's a technicality and a sorbet is colloquially accepted as ice cream.

... Still, It would have been funny if someone had said "sorbet" when Houtarou asked for the English word. XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 20, 2012 11:27 PM

Sep 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
raxius1230 said:
Well in the end good episode this mystery is over...or is it?? I feel there is still way more to it.
Yeah find THE SHIT HEAD WHO STARTED THE SHIT MOVEMENT! Kill him or punch him or just plain take revenge. Mister no name mention that made Jun have that draw-straw shit game and as a result become the shit taker of any shit to come at him instead of eating that shit head on.

I think the lesson may be right under our noses. WHEN SHIT COMES JUST SAY NO! Simple as that. No I don't want to be part of your shit! No I don't want to be in this anymore. No leave me alone! No I am out of this shit! Do it alone! Sadly Jun demonstrated what it is to be a helpless scapegoat and in thee end be eaten.

It is to say that to be strong means to deny what we do not want or that we fell not easy with. To leave off all associations of it and to finally be free of its burden rather than be part of it for x reasons such as duty, pride or being part of something that you do not want to disconnect from.

You do realize that's exactly what the student body did as well? They refused to accept the administration's decision and protested. And really? What? Kill Him? Getting a little extreme there for no reason.
May 20, 2012 11:40 PM

Dec 2010
I got totally fucking scared when I was listening to Houreki explaining what 氷菓 meant. I scream...that reminded me of the painting 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch. Scary shit.

I couldn't really adjust to the light mood that came afterwards. To me, it felt really sad and pitiful. I'm surprised most of you haven't expressed the same kind of feelings I have.

It was a decent episode for me. I only wish they extended the sad/dark mood a bit longer.

May 20, 2012 11:48 PM

Jul 2009
I like this conclusion. I had a feeling that her uncle was no 'hero' - because honestly, 'heroes' don't exist in real life, or at least not without faults. It's not surprising that her uncle regretted his actions. I sure as hell would've.
May 21, 2012 12:18 AM

Jan 2012
This ep made me change my score for hyouka from 7 to 9 and put in in my favourites.
Well i suppose we may get to find out who made Sekitani be the sacrifice at some point or maybe it'll just be left for us to speculate on our own.
:O Oreki's becoming more active and less dull
May 21, 2012 1:14 AM
Jan 2009
Okay this episode was great, we can see alot of development in character with houtarou and the club itself but aside those the mystery was very well executed and was very compelling until the end.
May 21, 2012 1:22 AM

Sep 2011
Mystery is over? IMO, unlikely. Something will probably pop up after a few more episodes and we'll probably be missing some more info. However, great episode seeing as this mystery is most likely solved :)
May 21, 2012 1:51 AM

Nov 2009
meelo said:
I SCREAM 4 ICE CREAM

LIKEWISE: HYOUKA FOR MORE HYOUKA!!! ^^

Next ep will be interesting...Another mystery Ü

For Chitanda to cry, I was thinking that her uncle told her the meaning of Hyouka in that rabbit-dog tragic tale. After all, she was just a child, and to talk about something in a way that will make children sympathize/empathize more (in a fable-like story), her uncle hit the spot and made her cry. She forgot about it...probably because the images of the dog eating the rabbit and the other rabbits not doing anything (refer to anothology's cover) was very overwhelming; children's imagination concocts eerily. Some psychogenic amnesia she had there.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
May 21, 2012 1:56 AM

Oct 2010
Wasabi said:
Yumekichi11 said:
raxius1230 said:

You do realize that's exactly what the student body did as well? They refused to accept the administration's decision and protested. And really? What? Kill Him? Getting a little extreme there for no reason.
Well OK, yeah but we are talking about someone who ruined a future of education of someone. That someone can be as extreme as kill the person who screwed him over. Sadly he did nothing because the lesson comes as he was too weak. However a not weak person may go as far as killing for something like this. Some might even go after all of the students who got them screwed. I am aware of that but I am not comprehending as to what does the council have to do with this. There is one person who instigated all this and used Jun as a scapegoat and that person should be held out.

The fact the person disappeared or concealed is the more reason to find him. The killing therefore stands as a means of extreme measure fueled by the a insane mind of whom would go crazy after this was done to them.

May 21, 2012 1:56 AM

Oct 2011
Tyrel said:
Mystery is over? IMO, unlikely. Something will probably pop up after a few more episodes and we'll probably be missing some more info. However, great episode seeing as this mystery is most likely solved :)

I would say that that may go into searching who was the real leader of the movement (this I consider most probable)
or something about burning of that building - who did it or why they did it

but overall nice episode
MC has shown signs of intelligence - yes, asking people who were there is better than guessing or making things up XD
for now I can describe this series as...
in mystery department - quite weak but at least possible to solve by viewers
in SoL part - here it's good, nice character interactions plus they are likeable (except MC of course)
May 21, 2012 2:01 AM

Jan 2012
So that's what happened. Well Oreki strikes again. I Scream O_O

May 21, 2012 2:15 AM

Sep 2009
I didn't read the novels but, thinking logically, they'll adapt 4 out of 5 volumes(cause as I heard 5th volume has new characters and the story is incomplete). And this ep was probably the end of vol. 1. So we have large chances to get new OP and ED next time.
May 21, 2012 2:49 AM

Jan 2008
I figured out the "i scream" pun by myself when Eru was remembering her conversation with Jun. But still, smart.
May 21, 2012 2:54 AM

Sep 2010
Shit was Awesome.... Upgrading score from 7/10 to 8/10

5/5
May 21, 2012 3:02 AM

Jun 2010
I SCREEEEEEEEEAAAMMM 5/5

Btw, Oreki has been solving mysteries here and there because she likes Chitanda right? Yes? Yes? The answer should be yes... :/
May 21, 2012 4:13 AM
Oct 2011
amazing
"i scream"
i didn't expect that XD
May 21, 2012 4:50 AM

Jun 2009
If Hyouka, episode 1~5 was not a TV series but a movie, it'll easily get a 9 from me.

Wow... As soon as Houtaro said the message was Ice Cream... It's like my mind was hit by a train...

What a horrible message, full of despair and anger. The look on Satoshi's face when he figured out the pun was exactly like mine, except instead of face grab, I drop back into my chair.

For those that said nothing have happened in Hyouka, I don't think we're watching the same show...

Houtaro started to reflect on his current lifestyle, became more pro-active. (As Ibara said, he's actually very excited, he just didn't show it) And he also hinted that he may have been quite envious of those who had "rosy" school life.

If it weren't for Houtarou, Jun's story may be lost forever.

Jun's final message of "I Scream" is one that is quite powerful, and can be interpreted in many ways.

It term of writing, this show is easily the best show of the season.
AirStylesMay 21, 2012 7:32 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2012 4:50 AM

May 2010
Dang so they fed him to the wolf, that messed up.
May 21, 2012 4:55 AM
Apr 2009
Ardamaeus said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
Quite the optimist *sigh* T_T

No dude, like, the summary pretty much said the anime was about solving the mystery they just solved in this episode. I don't know this series very well, so what is basically going to happen from here x.X? Are they going to get some clues about her uncle or something?

That's the synopsis for the 1st volume of the novel( there are 5 volumes in total ), and I think they finished with the 1st volume. But as people say, the "Hyouka" mystery is not over yet.
May 21, 2012 5:23 AM
May 2012
I honestly don't think "Ice Cream" was just a lame pun. There's more meanings to it I found.

One, we all know that Ice Cream melts unless you keep it in the freezer. If you apply heat to it, it melts even faster until you were left with a puddle that used to be Ice Cream. This can mean that Jun Sekitani had only some time left before his expulsion and he knew he was going to get expelled as he was forced to be the representative for the Kanya Festival movement. As for the heat applied to the Ice Cream, the student's movement was the heat as they boycotted, protested, even did acts of provokement, thus making the process of his expulsion even faster. Once the Ice Cream melted, his time was up. He was expelled by the principal.

Two, if you were to bite into the Ice Cream, you took off a part of the Ice Cream. Since he was forced to be the representative for the movement, he was the one who gets "chewed" up in a sense. He knew he had to stay strong, but he was being hurt as well as everyone since the student wasn't thinking about the consequences. Eventually, as soon as the Ice Cream was gone, he was gone as well as the principal took the last bite of the Ice Cream who was Jun Sekitani.

This is my theory on why he chose the name "Hyouka". And this episode concludes the past history of the Kamiyama School Festival 45 years ago.

Though the story is far from over. There's still many questions to be found.

Why is his sister abroad, going from places to places? Why did she want Oreki to join the Classics club? What is her motive? We can assume she's sightseeing, but seeing how she wanted Oreki to join the Classic club, there seems to be more to it than sightseeing. I don't think she explained what she is doing overseas other than just being abroad. Of course it might be a job she's doing, but still.

If I recall correctly, Jun Sekitani went missing. No one knows the whereabouts of where he is. This leads to questions as where is he?

Although I don't think the show is gonna tackle on these question. As the main story is focused on Houtarou, it's going to be following the festival and more new mysteries for them to tackle on.

This show is very pleasing to watch and love how they're doing it. Plus this is like a fresher for anime shows as most animes you watch have supernatural, fan service, comedy, or harem style. It's nice to see a show that doesn't have any of these and focus very much on the story and the character. Oh and it's very fluid, just like real life.
May 21, 2012 5:23 AM
May 2012
Well that was boring. The protagonist's lack of enthusiasm is really killing the story.
Sick Bro
May 21, 2012 5:27 AM
May 2012
bruce19 said:
Well that was boring. The protagonist's lack of enthusiasm is really killing the story.

That's the one of the point of this show. It focuses on Houtarou on his lifestyle is going to change. You can already see it happening.
Akai012May 21, 2012 5:39 AM
May 21, 2012 6:40 AM

Jun 2009
I thought Hyouka has some relation with the word Kuyashii. Didn't know it was simple as that. Damn, I blew it.

Impressed by this episode since I wasn't satisfied with the conclusion in the past episode.
May 21, 2012 6:50 AM

Mar 2012
Pretty good, but it's still boring as hell tbh but i personally don't mind that while others do. Hope they'll go deeper into the "supernatural" part in the upcoming eps.
May 21, 2012 6:56 AM

Jan 2011
That librarian was still hiding something. And what happened to the first anthology, I believe they have number 2?

As I raise my score for yet another series, I am struck by just how many good shows there are this season.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 21, 2012 7:29 AM

Mar 2011
Brilliant episode. So Hyouka is ice cream--> i scream, a suitable pun.
Oreki life will become less grey and glad that the things they built up since ep 1 is actually gave us a great conclusion in the end.
Overall good and pretty interesting arc
May 21, 2012 7:34 AM

Jun 2009
bruce19 said:

He just doesn't show it, as Ibara stated, he's actually quite enthusiastic about the whole thing. I mean, just think for a second, for someone as lazy as he is, to set up a meeting, finding the original writer, set up an appointment etc etc.

D2Synua said:
Pretty good, but it's still boring as hell tbh but i personally don't mind that while others do. Hope they'll go deeper into the "supernatural" part in the upcoming eps.

Not sure if I missed anything or you're just trolling... (leaning toward the latter.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2012 7:49 AM

Dec 2009
This show is growing on me with each episode, much thanks to Houtarou who I can relate with in his inability to be social and show feelings.

I wonder how it will continue.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 21, 2012 8:20 AM

May 2011
While the mystery wasn't completely solved, it was solved to the satisfaction of Eri finding out why she cried. The original point of the arc was Eri asking the group to help revive the memory of her uncle's talk and why she balled her eyes out.

The flaming martial arts building mystery would most likely be just mob mentality at one of the bon fires. Some random individual went overboard and torched the place. I doubt that would have any relevance other than solving a mystery of a random unpremeditated act.

As for the shadow leader(s) of the student movement. I doubt that will ever be solvable. The students used Eri's uncle as their fall guy cause they were cowards that wouldn't face the punishment themselves. In a "samurai" society like Japan, doing something like that would be beyond dishonorable. Japanese loath shameful acts and usually leave them as untold secrets. I doubt ANY of them would admit to such a thing now and dig up the past. Even the Librarian who admitted their was a lot of shenanigans involved with Eri's uncle being chosen ring leader wouldn't come forth with any information on the Shadow leader(s). Unless there is some private memoir left behind by Eri's uncle that mystery won't be revisited.
May 21, 2012 9:03 AM

Oct 2010
Cirris said:
As for the shadow leader(s) of the student movement. I doubt that will ever be solvable. The students used Eri's uncle as their fall guy cause they were cowards that wouldn't face the punishment themselves. In a "samurai" society like Japan, doing something like that would be beyond dishonorable. Japanese loath shameful acts and usually leave them as untold secrets. I doubt ANY of them would admit to such a thing now and dig up the past. Even the Librarian who admitted their was a lot of shenanigans involved with Eri's uncle being chosen ring leader wouldn't come forth with any information on the Shadow leader(s). Unless there is some private memoir left behind by Eri's uncle that mystery won't be revisited.
Indeed she would know of him but perhaps not where he lived in the present. There were 2 indications on her part in my pic Dump I did that proves of her expressions:
Shame
Sadness
Shock
first being very obvious with her expressions. That being said perhaps in thee end revealing of that person would reveal her helplessness in stopping that person.

May 21, 2012 9:09 AM

May 2010
Its great that he solved the mystery but I think it was too fast !!
May 21, 2012 9:26 AM

Aug 2008
darkerealm said:
I'm liking this anime more and more. Those trivial mysteries are nice to ponder about.
And I think the librarian knows something? Her reaction was a little off. (although I might be over-thinking this)

I knew it! :D
Easily the best episode so far. I couldn't figure out the scribbles on the cover of Hyouka and it was awesome when Ibara explained it.
May 21, 2012 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
Didn't expect that mystery to end so quickly xD
Good little mystery now really looking forward to next weeks :)
4/5
May 21, 2012 9:56 AM

Mar 2011
Ice Cream is delicious.
May 21, 2012 10:09 AM

Mar 2012
I really don't care about the mystery, I just want to marry Houtarou JSLKADÇASKNASKÇMDKA
May 21, 2012 11:13 AM

Oct 2011
Lol.
I scream for ice cream!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah~
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

267 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.