Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 7, 2012 5:33 PM
Apr 2012
I like this anime, but it gets really boring at some parts. Like the coffe part... not.
And there's something about Chitanda's face that makes me feel like there's an error, cause I don't completely like it. Dunno what. The hair, maybe.
May 7, 2012 5:35 PM

Jun 2011
Loving this anime, the mistery was kinda predictable.. It could be something worse, but then they had to really call the teachers.

About the volume they need, i bet it's at that small temple that Eru was looking at first episode.
May 7, 2012 5:59 PM

Jun 2011
f*ck....
another awesome episode
May 7, 2012 6:18 PM

Jul 2011
art still keeping this show alive for me...
May 7, 2012 6:40 PM

May 2010
Yo, that was so sly blackmail haha, she call's oreki weird, in comes satshi dressed as a sunflower XD haha so funny, enjoy this got some of the plot which is nice.
May 7, 2012 6:56 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
kisami said:
don't tell me that the grand mystery is this.

You just hit the jackpot. Congratulations my friend.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 7, 2012 7:43 PM

Jul 2011
Why did the smoker get so angry with hotaru? He was letting him off the hook (for smoking a cigarette, which I guess is terrifying in Japan).
May 7, 2012 8:46 PM

Jun 2009
EOTW said:
Why did the smoker get so angry with hotaru? He was letting him off the hook (for smoking a cigarette, which I guess is terrifying in Japan).

He got caught, so he's more or less panic and frustrated, and Oreki's look rather... disrespectful, plus Oreki look as though he was threatening/scaring him into doing what he wants. (Which in a way is true)

He ask for Oreki's name afterward. Which means the acknowledged Oreki as a capable person. Oreki added that he felt bad about what he did, basically trying to say "no hard feelings" and pretty much assure him that nothing will leak from him, and he wish to avoid any future repercussion.

Again, it's pretty much him panicking over Oreki as a threat.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2012 9:53 PM

Feb 2012
Sigh,
Maybe I'm just spoiled with some great mystery animes, but I just keep expecting more. I like most of the characters, the setting is nice and even the Uncle thing could come out interesting.
But I get the feeling that this anime is just going to keep falling short of greatness. Like it reaches for it, might brush a finger against it, then falls flat on it's face.
I hope I'm wrong.
May 7, 2012 10:01 PM

Jan 2012

DAT EYES !!!
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
May 7, 2012 10:11 PM
Jul 2018
Anybody else catch the possible End of Evangelion reference at the start? The episode starts with Air on a G string playing, and Chitanda's first line is "The truth is..."

Probably just a coincidence, but it seems oddly specific.
May 7, 2012 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
This series is a bit of a change for me, but I'm liking it so far. Now that the beginning of the plot is starting to fall into place, I'm highly anticipating Ep. 4.

Oh and, wtb more of Chitanda's adorable glowing purple eyes.
May 7, 2012 10:58 PM
Jan 2009
Finally Episode 3 tells us the direction to where the story of this series is heading to,and also to some of our questions like why chitanda joined the classic club in the first place.
more moeeeeeeeeee!!!
www.chitanda.com
May 7, 2012 11:39 PM

Jul 2010
Smoking is really bad for a student especially if he belongs in a family with good reputation. Even yawning in public could be bad for them. Remember that Chitanda was there? Toogaito didn't want a Chitanda clan member to know that someone in his stature is doing something illegal inside school grounds.

Also, wonder why an energy-saving person like Oreki does all these things with such enthusiasm? It's because he's doing it for Chitanda. Yay for potential romance~ :))
May 8, 2012 12:11 AM

Jul 2011
AirStyles said:
EOTW said:

He got caught, so he's more or less panic and frustrated, and Oreki's look rather... disrespectful, plus Oreki look as though he was threatening/scaring him into doing what he wants. (Which in a way is true)

He ask for Oreki's name afterward. Which means the acknowledged Oreki as a capable person. Oreki added that he felt bad about what he did, basically trying to say "no hard feelings" and pretty much assure him that nothing will leak from him, and he wish to avoid any future repercussion.

So, he was angry over the threat. I would think he would be relived once Hotaru said to leave them in the room, but I guess he's afraid that Hotaru might blackmail him or maybe he feels disrespected by Hotaru.
May 8, 2012 12:36 AM
Apr 2011
EOTW said:
AirStyles said:
EOTW said:

So, he was angry over the threat. I would think he would be relived once Hotaru said to leave them in the room, but I guess he's afraid that Hotaru might blackmail him or maybe he feels disrespected by Hotaru.

Exactly. Although maybe not disrespected. Just angry he's being blackmailed
May 8, 2012 12:46 AM
Apr 2011
My favorite part was probably when Oreki wanted to leave and Chitanda said "But otherwise we'll have to search through the entire school"

Oreki: <oh F**k that!> "Give us the damn books now."
May 8, 2012 1:11 AM

Jan 2011
I thought that guy was going to be doing some harder drugs than just tobacco.
May 8, 2012 1:34 AM

Dec 2009
Why wasn't the senpai voiced by Daisuke Ono? That would have been awesome.

Oh and I also thought he was hiding a girl in the room first xD
May 8, 2012 2:38 AM

Nov 2010
Houtarou's composure while solving the mystery at the old classic club room baffles me.
Only a detective with the experience of Colombo can annoy a suspect that way.
May 8, 2012 3:31 AM

Jan 2012
I think its the return of Nagisa Father , Akio . They sounded exactly the same .

Gawd, all the clannad cast are having a gathering .

Note:Potential of romance -1
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
May 8, 2012 4:16 AM

Jan 2009
1lau said:
Houtarou's composure while solving the mystery at the old classic club room baffles me.

reminded of L.
May 8, 2012 9:49 AM
Sep 2011
http://imgur.com/a/EJY76

>Itoigawa Youko
>Kouriyama Youko

Cannot be a coincidence
May 8, 2012 10:16 AM
Jan 2011
Man, why does Chitanda have to bother herself as to what her uncle told her?
May 8, 2012 10:43 AM

Jun 2010
If
qaovxtazypdl said:
http://imgur.com/a/EJY76

>Itoigawa Youko
>Kouriyama Youko

Cannot be a coincidence

Got sense, and it happened 45 yrs ago, maybe she's a member that time.
And if you remember the last episode, when Itoigawa return and Satoshi ask about the anthology of kotenbu she acted weird.
LOL
May 8, 2012 11:41 AM
Feb 2012
Wow, Chitanda is too cute! I get all giggly when she talks or moves. :3
May 8, 2012 1:34 PM

Sep 2011
She's so goddam moe!!
No.
May 8, 2012 2:17 PM

Jun 2009
Loved Houtaro's reaction to Eru's suggestion. For energy saver like him searching the whole school must be worse than death. xD
As for mystery, I guess that somebody died. But Eru's uncle was regarded as a hero so maybe not. But still whatever happened, it affected her uncle quite a lot.
May 8, 2012 2:19 PM

Nov 2011
No 'watashi kininari masu' in this ep :( thats what i like about the show the most XD
BiddingGortonio said:
1lau said:

reminded of L.

Exactly the same thing that went through my head, the guy is like a younger version of L

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 8, 2012 2:51 PM
Oct 2010
Nasty001 said:
Man, why does Chitanda have to bother herself as to what her uncle told her?
Because she knows subconsciously that it's very important, or at least I want to believe so.

Of course, considering the (IMO) over dramatic reaction to smoking tobacco, it could be just an event left in the past... If it turns out the mystery is just some useless knowledge/lesson of history, I'm going to feel very trolled.

With the mystery being the mystery this could become really great or really awful, it's been a while since I'm not sure if I'll be giving an anime a 3 or a 10.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 8, 2012 3:43 PM

May 2011
zorapup said:
My favorite part was probably when Oreki wanted to leave and Chitanda said "But otherwise we'll have to search through the entire school"

Lmfao same here, that immediate change of heart haha. THE WHOLE SCHOOL!? This ain't a goddamn joke.

I am just loving everything about this anime. The characters are all so great, especially Eru's extreme moeness and personality. This mystery is pretty interesting too, seems like something big happened back then. Wonder if she's going to tell the other two about this next episode, or does she want to leave it between just her and Houtarou for now.
May 8, 2012 4:41 PM

Oct 2011
Once again - the reason the smoking itself was so bad was because:

Kid was part of a wealthy family.
Said wealthy family is famous for Secondary Education.
Said family is located in Japan.
Said kid was smoking in a Classroom.
Said classroom was on school grounds.
Said event took place in the middle of the day.

Something like this would be big for the family, and damage their reputation and business pretty badly.

If it was pot, he would have gone to jail, and it would have been 10x worse, but either way, him being found out would have been a very bad thing for him and his family.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
May 8, 2012 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
This was without a doubt my favorite episode.

The coffe scene was great, Though I don't quite understand what the preschool eru was for, If someone can clarify what it symbolizes help me out, as all I could guess was it being Hotaru had to look out for her or something.

The mystery. I wasn't thinking it would be anything much but I was pleasently surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. even though I caught on it was drug related, Hotaru sold this scene for me completely. Completely stoic as he broke down the third year mentally by simply catching onto his dirty little seceret... fu fu fu...

everyone wants it to be pot. XD Throughout the scene I remembered a joke from 'The other guys' Movie and how one character thought the case was drug related. His partner reminded him "this isn't C.S.I. Miami, not everything is because of drugs!" or something along those lines. I'm pretty ok that it was tabacco though as its pretty realistic and like BRSxIgnition stated: he was from a family of well reknowned scholars. Maybe if he was a random chump it wouldn't matter, but we can assume that for screwing with the family reputation his ass would be torn up by his folk.

Satoshi had me cracking up with the flower scene and I'm all the more interested in how the rest of this mystery will unfold. I expect a fun viewing experience here, even if it bombs later (which I hope it doesn't) I can still enjoy this eyegasmic artwork!

9/10!
May 8, 2012 9:00 PM

Jul 2010
BRSxIgnition said:
Once again - the reason the smoking itself was so bad was because:

Kid was part of a wealthy family.
Said wealthy family is famous for Secondary Education.
Said family is located in Japan.
Said kid was smoking in a Classroom.
Said classroom was on school grounds.
Said event took place in the middle of the day.

Something like this would be big for the family, and damage their reputation and business pretty badly.

If it was pot, he would have gone to jail, and it would have been 10x worse, but either way, him being found out would have been a very bad thing for him and his family.

Thank you captain obvious. I'm glad someone point out about this in detail...

-_-;;

May 8, 2012 9:06 PM

Aug 2011
zorapup said:

That part was so funny! Houtarou reminds me of a young Sherlock Holmes. He should be a detective when he grows up.

The show's interesting so far. I'm still waiting for something BIG to happen.
May 8, 2012 9:24 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I feel like some plot is finally brewing. Man, Eru sure is moe. Especially in a ponytail.
May 8, 2012 11:26 PM
Apr 2009
Thatguy31 said:

The coffe scene was great, Though I don't quite understand what the preschool eru was for, If someone can clarify what it symbolizes help me out, as all I could guess was it being Hotaru had to look out for her or something.

I think it symbolizes the hopelessness of Chitanda, as she's shown as a kid digging everywhere for the "truth". Oreki understands that he's the only one who could help her with this problem of hers.
That's why he doesn't just plain refuse her, as he did the first time, but sais he will assist her if they find any clues.
Probably...
May 9, 2012 12:09 AM

May 2010
Will that mystery involving her uncle continue till the last episode or will this arc end soon?
May 9, 2012 12:34 AM
Jul 2011
ahmed_great2005 said:
Will that mystery involving her uncle continue till the last episode or will this arc end soon?

Mystery with her uncle ends in volume 1 of the original novel. So, it will end in, probably, episode 6.

Well, trust me or not, but I remember someone said that vol.1 is less interesting compared to others. Will see.
May 9, 2012 2:41 AM

Dec 2007
still a flat line anime, it really hasn't gone anywhere
May 9, 2012 6:32 AM

Mar 2011
traittrait said:
ahmed_great2005 said:

Mystery with her uncle ends in volume 1 of the original novel. So, it will end in, probably, episode 6.

Well, trust me or not, but I remember someone said that vol.1 is less interesting compared to others. Will see.
. I hope so
May 9, 2012 8:07 AM

Jul 2010
Houtaro is one perceptive son of a bitch. He sees everything! He really blackmailed/manipulated that guy good.

So they finally found the anthologies, but now the one they need (the first) is still missing!

May 9, 2012 9:45 AM
Dec 2007
Thus "the niece of time". OK, Hyouka is off to a really, really good start after the first 3 episodes. That's really clever mystery mixed in with some of the best direction I have ever seen in an anime series.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 9, 2012 10:44 AM

Jan 2011
Nice episode, though the mysteries and to easy to predict imo.
Looking forward to more, just watching it for the quality of the animation is a fun thing to do.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 9, 2012 12:50 PM

Apr 2011
This episode isn't bad. Venture to say that this is the best episode so far.
It's going better, I guess.
May 9, 2012 1:13 PM
Jan 2012
Is anyone know, what the background music is in the first seconds of this episode ?
May 9, 2012 3:21 PM
Oct 2010
MrVar said:
Is anyone know, what the background music is in the first seconds of this episode ?
It's Bach's "Air on the G String" ...

Btw, I played the first seconds of the episode to confirm and noticed something I didn't the first time. Right where the music starts, time stops for a moment. XD ... Useless but cute detail.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 9, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2011
Talking about background music, does anyone knows what the name of the music that start playing at 21:26 when Oreki take the Anthology with Chitanda? XDD
May 9, 2012 11:43 PM

Nov 2009
this show is sooooo good !

don't know why but I have haruhi vibe from this

my favorite this season now !

I think that Oreki's sister want him to solve some mystery for her XD
May 10, 2012 1:54 AM
Jan 2012
Ajunky Thx for help
ayasaaki said:
Talking about background music, does anyone knows what the name of the music that start playing at 21:26 when Oreki take the Anthology with Chitanda? XDD

Answer for your question.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.