Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 6, 2012 10:59 AM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another great episode. It can be separated into 3 parts: the coffee place, the school and the end result. However the coffee part in the beginning with Houtarou was mostly what made the episode for other than the mysterious new guest of this episode. That is none other than the following,

Along with the spoiler
Eru in loli form? Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhhh *heart break* And I recover. That was still too much MOE despite being short.

About the coffee part, the coffee segment was mainly rich not only in that Eru render of her being a kid but also the richness in expressions between the interaction of Eru and Houtarou in the spoiler
while one can easily see that Houtarou is more or less stoic, Eru on the other hand with her blushes more than makes up for that part. I was actually very interested by the short part in the spoiler
it was in fact to my liking.
Eru’s coffee here was nicely shown too. A very nice choice of her. Elegant and very sweet. So from this conversation I can see that Houtarou has a rather calming and reviewing effect on people where they think over more than initially they though. That’s how it appears to me.

About the school, starts rather nicely with a group part here and Ibara looking over what was to be found out in the last episode. Eru meets with Houtarou and Satoshi. Nicely shown scene of Houtarou here and it’s nice to show a focus on the letter. To show a element to deal pointing. Right from the start Eru and Ibara expressions in the spoiler
along with their acting enriched the part and conversation they were having. Eru more so as she even had it before knocking on the door. Shows her MOE side more. Seems the new guy in the spoiler
might not like too much Houtarou in his reactions to him but Eru’s blush here got that new person surprised. As the richness between that new guy and the group continue in the spoiler
showing a constant rich emotional show. It is to note that Houtarou does look at him strangely here that Ibara actually does put her arm around Houtarou, however that does not change anything around Eru much so her jealousy show is not that crazy. When it shows though it’s plain MOE. I have to admit Ibara’s way of dealing with that new guy were nicely shown of her character TBH.

About the club, once inside the club the interaction just get much more better in the spoiler
between that new guy and the group. One of the best ones is in the following one in the spoiler
Just too plain rich of his expression there. I liked it. It was a nice change. He did calm down for the best. Looked quite hysterical there. Houtarou still has his suspicions here at that new guy. Despite that it enchains with a poignant group discussion between Houtarou/Eru/Ibara, however it’s the end result in the spoiler
that surprised all at what was on the table.

About the mystery, like mentioned above those visuals in the spoiler
that is what makes any of them that much more interacting. The new guy’s positive expression and Ibara’s covering her mouth were among the many others nice ones for me. Well I guess in thee end the mystery got cleared in the spoiler
in a rather not so amazing way other than visually, which does make forget how one mystery can be amiss with its visuals being more enticing. That being said WTF @ the following,

Oh dear Satoshi. AHAHHAHAHAHAH! So funny. One of the most surprising comedic factor in this episode. That dress is ROFL. I can see that
Houtarou’s reaction was not so great towards this but Ibara’s one makes up for that.

About the aftermath, ERU BROKE ME IN HALF in the spoiler
not only emotionally but with her MOE. Those blushes were so too much during all the episode. I think they are trying to kill the viewer with MOE. Constant at 75% rating MOE Eru. It’s just rather insane the amount of MOE that’s in your face. That being said I liked them but I guess my heart’s pulsation might not for being varied. ROFL. I also liked the intake of the whole publication with the students in the spoiler
it was nicely shown. In thee end something surprises Eru but it also does Houtarou here. WTF will happen?

About the preview, there is only one thing of it in the spoiler
Houtarou being surprised like surely means something is up.

So in this episode the new guy is sure hunk but mostly the SFX are what impresses with the mystery. Every time it’s around there are always some most amazing and kicks ass SFX. Those effects that just seem to make the mystery just that much OUT OF THIS WORLD to say the least in a good screaming sense. As I have not seen mysteries being tackled with such visuals.

Eru’s blushing really make the series that much better and Ibara’s faces render it better. Might edit later for pic dumb and stuff.

BTW nice art in the spoiler
it looks better than the one from the ED.
Yumekichi11May 6, 2012 12:08 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 6, 2012 11:28 AM

Nov 2011

Kya! Kawaii~

Here's an interesting caption from the mid-commerical:

As all things brim with life, the world dresses in green.

Their mystery leads them to the newspaper poster club where the club manager seems to be a little nervous...hmm

The mystery of course gets solved like the previous two episodes after Oreki puts all the puzzles back together from the beginning involving finding the anthologies. Try to solve the puzzle before he does next time ^_^
Stark700May 6, 2012 7:14 PM
May 6, 2012 1:08 PM

Jul 2011
More development in this episode, primarily storyline. Less new information about characters, but more emphasis on what's already given. Enjoyable, hopefully it continues to get "darker".
mdzMay 6, 2012 6:37 PM
May 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Oct 2010
it would have been more fun with pot rather than tobacco... like honestly who flips out because only for tobacco...
Also i want to point out that Eru's walk cycle when leaving the club room was just plain wierd...
So just wondering... wth are those anthologies? Just random trains of thought from members?
huh?
May 6, 2012 4:44 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well, now that's an interesting development.

Loved the scene were they leave the classics club room to find the medicine box. The two girls walk out, Eru realizes Oreki didn't follow, so she goes back in to get him and drag him along. I suspect that will be a recurring theme :)

I've noticed that Oreki is the only one Eru targets for her odd behavior, and for his part she is the only one he can't say "no" to. I think they will grow because of each other.
May 6, 2012 4:45 PM

Jul 2009
If you ask me, it was too predictable.
May 6, 2012 4:58 PM

Jun 2011
Aha, so now it finally gets interesting.
May 6, 2012 4:58 PM

May 2011
Eru and Oreki development in the starting scene was very nice.
Oreki continues to impress me with how well he handles these kind of situations, the way he made that teacher fold was pretty exciting imo.
May 6, 2012 5:00 PM

Dec 2011
Chitanda in the kindergartener uniform is so cute.
So, that is Chitanda's request? Cool.

As for the mystery part, I expected that the senpai has been doing drugs or something...
And my hypothesis was close to Oreki, though I didn't think that the tobaccos were inside the medicine safe. That is some nice blackmailing Oreki. You are awesome.

They managed to get the anthologies, and Chitanda got closer to the mystery,
But it is just what I expected, the first volume is missing.
Poor Chitanda.

Cannot wait to see how they uncover the mystery of the words of Chitanda's uncle.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2012 5:09 PM

Apr 2010
That was actually very interesting. So, the first issue is missing huh?

4/5
May 6, 2012 5:23 PM

Jan 2012
boring, yet again, but the ending was interesting though
May 6, 2012 5:31 PM

Aug 2009
This show is soo good! ^_^
May 6, 2012 5:35 PM

Jun 2010
Well that sucks. The one they need is missing. All their hard work for nothing.

I thought that guy killed someone and was hiding the body in there.......I have an overactive imagination.

May 6, 2012 5:35 PM
Oct 2010
choyos said:
it would have been more fun with pot rather than tobacco... like honestly who flips out because only for tobacco...
The same people that flip because one volume from 45 years ago is missing (I understand Eru's reaction, but not Mayaka's)

I also thought it was drugs (with all that fuss, I thought he was cooking meth or something), smoking tobacco is forbidden for minors but it's not that big a deal, at least it should not make a scandal.

Anyway, I kinda expected for there to be more about the mystery... all that was revealed is that there was a mystery, but no information about what (just a where and when)... I really hope it's worth it, and that remembering it becomes actually important for their present and not just for closure... But I better prepare myself to be disappointed.

13man18 said:
I thought that guy killed someone and was hiding the body in there.......I have an overactive imagination.
LOL, you went farther than I did.
AjunkyMay 6, 2012 5:40 PM
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 6, 2012 5:38 PM

Dec 2010
Interesting development; now i wonder how they will break down the events; since the difficulty of breaking down events that old are the lack of evidence or material; and the guy likely gave back all the volumes, meaning the first issue was missing from the get go.

That aside even though it was another "small" mystery it was broken down nicely, lol a bit with Oreki's reaction to searching the whole school

Its getting better; now all that's left is how peoples patience will hold up; since people often tend to forget that even great shows don't start out running; Clannad certainly didn't.
May 6, 2012 5:54 PM

Mar 2011
It's actually starting to get interesting
Tobacco mystery is nicely done, but it could have been something else
And I wonder where is the first volume of the anthology..
Can't wait for the mystery to be solved and explained

A good step up from the last ep
May 6, 2012 5:58 PM

Feb 2012
Best "mystery" so far. Still unimpressed by the mystery aspect of this show, though. Again, I liked this, and again, mainly due to the MC. The way he described how he "solved" it was the best part of the episode for me. Everything falling perfectly out of place annoys me though. It's a poor attempt at the "pull at a strand and it keeps going and going until you realize it was longer than you ever could have imagined" method of storytelling.

"hey, we have no anthologies. but we need the anthologies."
"oh, my sis happens to mention in the letter that they're in the medicine safe."
"let's look for it. oh no, it isn't here. oh, maybe it's in the original room the club was in."
"hey, this guy is in the way. let's blackmail him. hope he gives the anthologies to us."
"he gave them to us. let's read. OH NO, ONE IS MISSING!!!!"
"which one is it? oh, the only one we need."

"Wonderful! Another episode justified! Let's debate its whereabouts! This could go on forever!"

And then I facepalm. I swear, I've never been so critical of a show I like before. And as for the Clannad comparison, I get what is being said, but Clannad gave me the impression that it was a slice of life right from the start. It seemed to do that rather well from the first episode - it was funny, and it was slice of life-y. This gives me the impression that it's a mystery show from the start. It isn't doing mystery well at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I like this show in spite of the mystery. This episode was a bit of an exception, as the mystery was the strong point here (though still not very strong). Even if the mysteries get better, that won't change the fact that the first 2 episodes have had weak mysteries that don't even really qualify as mysteries, and this episode's mystery was just okay. Especially because they could have just said, "We're looking for our anthologies. We heard that they were in the medicine safe. If now is a bad time, we can come back later." Which isn't hard to imagine a normal person saying. Tobacco guy would have been fine with that, and there wouldn't have been any mystery to solve. Basically, just like the first two episodes, this "mystery" had little to no impact on anything. I fail to see how a story is developing, other than the possible romantic developments between Chitanda and Oreki. If I didn't like the MC, I really would have no reason to watch this.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 6, 2012 6:06 PM

Jun 2010
DAT LITTLE ERU <3

Gogogogo plot! Please develop faster!
May 6, 2012 6:09 PM

May 2010
So we get into the serious part of Hyouka. It's going to be pretty interesting to see how they will solve the mystery with Eru Chitanda's uncle and the classics club from time's past.

Seriously, this show is getting more and more intriguing for me to continue watching. Like in every new episode is a better episode than the previous one. This show is starting off to be like a respectable anime I will greatly enjoy as this season progresses :).

May 6, 2012 6:13 PM

Jan 2011
13man18 said:

lol you do once he mentioned the air refresher i knew this kid must to been smoking and trying to cover it up was great watching Oreki toy with him,as for this episode things are starting to get interesting i just have a slight bad feeling about it all person goes missing for years chitanda was told something about the club which seemed quite bad and should have been forgotten and now the one issue they need is missing.

i remember someone saying about at some point things could take a turn for the worst i'm on board with that too!.
May 6, 2012 6:20 PM

Nov 2006
I'm a sunflower!
May 6, 2012 6:22 PM

Aug 2011
I love the music in this anime. Very fitting for a mystery. I wish I could solve mysteries like Oreki... Looking forward to see the plot develop.
May 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Aug 2008
Oreki is way too adorable! I love him! <3

I can't believe I couldn't solve this episode mystery. This one is much more easier than the last two weeks. XD
May 6, 2012 6:32 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
windy said:
I'm a sunflower!

? Okay, I'll bite. Huh?
May 6, 2012 6:33 PM

May 2011
Another great deduction from Oreki!

And oh boy, it looks like the first issue has gone missing.

The mystery still far from over.
May 6, 2012 6:43 PM

Feb 2012
njd09 said:
Best "mystery" so far. Still unimpressed by the mystery aspect of this show, though. Again, I liked this, and again, mainly due to the MC. The way he described how he "solved" it was the best part of the episode for me. Everything falling perfectly out of place annoys me though. It's a poor attempt at the "pull at a strand and it keeps going and going until you realize it was longer than you ever could have imagined" method of storytelling.

"hey, we have no anthologies. but we need the anthologies."
"oh, my sis happens to mention in the letter that they're in the medicine safe."
"let's look for it. oh no, it isn't here. oh, maybe it's in the original room the club was in."
"hey, this guy is in the way. let's blackmail him. hope he gives the anthologies to us."
"he gave them to us. let's read. OH NO, ONE IS MISSING!!!!"
"which one is it? oh, the only one we need."

"Wonderful! Another episode justified! Let's debate its whereabouts! This could go on forever!"

And then I facepalm. I swear, I've never been so critical of a show I like before. And as for the Clannad comparison, I get what is being said, but Clannad gave me the impression that it was a slice of life right from the start. It seemed to do that rather well from the first episode - it was funny, and it was slice of life-y. This gives me the impression that it's a mystery show from the start. It isn't doing mystery well at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I like this show in spite of the mystery. This episode was a bit of an exception, as the mystery was the strong point here (though still not very strong). Even if the mysteries get better, that won't change the fact that the first 2 episodes have had weak mysteries that don't even really qualify as mysteries, and this episode's mystery was just okay. Especially because they could have just said, "We're looking for our anthologies. We heard that they were in the medicine safe. If now is a bad time, we can come back later." Which isn't hard to imagine a normal person saying. Tobacco guy would have been fine with that, and there wouldn't have been any mystery to solve. Basically, just like the first two episodes, this "mystery" had little to no impact on anything. I fail to see how a story is developing, other than the possible romantic developments between Chitanda and Oreki. If I didn't like the MC, I really would have no reason to watch this.
You're being too critical on a show that's only 3 out of 21 episodes in.

I'm impressed with the mysteries so far considering the setting. I said it before, but consider the mysteries so far as light mysteries meant to build up to the main plot while also letting us know the cast better. The series is 21 eps so naturally it's not going to dive straight into the main mystery from the get go.

With that said, the REAL mystery finally begins. Eru is SO kawaii~. That flashback reminded me of K-ON :D

Cratex said:
windy said:
I'm a sunflower!

? Okay, I'll bite. Huh?
It's what Satoshi said when he came into the room toward the end.
YveseMay 6, 2012 6:47 PM
May 6, 2012 6:49 PM

Jul 2010
13man18 said:

you have WAY too much of an imagination. i was just thinking drugs. but than again, he is apart of a big family, so if word gets out, their reputation will get hit, especially since their in the education section, they will take shit like that seriously.

May 6, 2012 6:51 PM

Dec 2007
It's great to see that the series is getting better with each episode so far. Does the voice of the new guy bug anyone?
May 6, 2012 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
choyos said:
it would have been more fun with pot rather than tobacco...

Pot is serious business in Japan. If he had been toking it up in that classroom he'd have a lot more to worry about than his reputation.
May 6, 2012 6:55 PM

Jul 2010
Taksun said:
It's great to see that the series is getting better with each episode so far. Does the voice of the new guy bug anyone?

not in a bad way but yes.
i was thinking for a while and to me he looks and sounds EXACTLY like nagisa's dad from clannad. he almost had the same attitude too, lol

May 6, 2012 6:57 PM

Dec 2007
Blackmailing is always fun. :3

choyos said:

Welcome to Japan? :P

13man18 said:

Lol. I personally thought he was hiding a girl he just did but you take the cake with that one.
May 6, 2012 7:03 PM
Jul 2018
http://animuthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/05/hyou-ka-episode-3.html
^moar thoughts in here.

Well I am thoroughly impressed by the great animation in this series. Hopefully this whole uncle thing fleshes out the characters more and will be an interesting mystery.

Oreki totally read through that senpai. Extra respect points for him.
May 6, 2012 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
This episode was better than the other two. I hope this guy appears again for revenge or something

Taksun said:

It didn't bug me but I thought it was kinda deep. I was thinking he would have a more Izaya orhiar type voice.
[center]
May 6, 2012 7:07 PM
Mar 2009
marsellus12 said:
I kinda liked it, I think it gets going finally.

By the way, does anyone happen to know the name of that piano song near the end of the episode? Or was it composed for the anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KweXColOsgQ

It's a flute solo piece with piano/harp accompaniment. I'm surprised no one responded sooner, as it's an exam piece for flute.
May 6, 2012 7:11 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yvese said:
Cratex said:
windy said:
I'm a sunflower!

? Okay, I'll bite. Huh?
It's what Satoshi said when he came into the room toward the end.
Oh! Duh!
May 6, 2012 7:17 PM

Feb 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
choyos said:
it would have been more fun with pot rather than tobacco...

Pot is serious business in Japan. If he had been toking it up in that classroom he'd have a lot more to worry about than his reputation.
Agreed.

Maybe in the source material it was pot but they had to change it due to the target audience of the show.

I don't know about Japan, but Tobacco doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Seemed like an overreaction to me which is why maybe it was originally pot in the source material.
May 6, 2012 7:35 PM

Aug 2010
I thought it was obvious that the senpai was smoking once the mc said air freshner and the room was being aired out.
May 6, 2012 7:41 PM

Dec 2009
Still not exactly sure about the whole premise of the show. Why is what her uncle said years ago so damn important, and how could she have just "forgotten" it?

I can't tell if this show is trying to be more a mystery or slice of life... or how serious this secret from the past is. I understand that things will unravel as the show progresses and I do like shows where the beginning episodes are confusing, but I just don't know what to make of this anime.

And hopefully the mysteries will get a little less obvious :P.
May 6, 2012 7:47 PM

Sep 2011
u2blah said:
Still not exactly sure about the whole premise of the show. Why is what her uncle said years ago so damn important, and how could she have just "forgotten" it?

I can't tell if this show is trying to be more a mystery or slice of life... or how serious this secret from the past is. I understand that things will unravel as the show progresses and I do like shows where the beginning episodes are confusing, but I just don't know what to make of this anime.

Uhmm..? What her Uncle said years ago could be analyzed of many things of something bad happening or that did happen etc. How could she forget? it Happened when she was a kid, lots of people forget even in the real world people forget. Hell I forgot stuff from when I was 8-10 years old which was 10+ years ago.

Also, great episode. Wonder where that missing copy is? Maybe her uncle took or is it hiding somewhere else.
May 6, 2012 7:52 PM
Oct 2010
kevinxiaowis said:
marsellus12 said:
I kinda liked it, I think it gets going finally.

By the way, does anyone happen to know the name of that piano song near the end of the episode? Or was it composed for the anime?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KweXColOsgQ

It's a flute solo piece with piano/harp accompaniment. I'm surprised no one responded sooner, as it's an exam piece for flute.
Thanks, even though it wasn't my question. It had been bothering me too since I've heard it but couldn't quite place it. Definitely a nice haunting piece, fitting for mystery.
u2blah said:
Sounds like she should try an hypnotist/psychologist instead of Oreki, doesn't it?

I implied this before, but I really hope it bothers her so much cause it's important and not just due to her personality.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 6, 2012 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
does anybody else find this /so/ shallow??
"omg i cried in front of my uncle but he didn't even bother to comfort me SOMEONE PLS TELL ME WHY /I NEED TO KNOW/"

good god, eru
i liked the mystery this week though... i like mystery shows the best when they start making me feel like a dumbass ahahaha.
May 6, 2012 8:00 PM

Jul 2011
The mystery that she requested Oreki to solve... doesn't seem all that important. Makes the story feel like am exaggeration...

But I still love the art and Oreki. I like the mystery with the Newspaper sempai. I knew he was hiding something. For some reason though, I assumed drugs, but it was tobacco. I wonder why the guy was so panicked though. He looked like he was on the verge of going crazy and attacking Oreki. o_o (Loved his hair~)

I hope the mystery turns out to be significant.
May 6, 2012 8:04 PM

Mar 2011
u2blah said:

Cause what her uncle said years ago is very important and somehow really bother Chitanda? She forgot because it was something very shocking. It can happen in the real life you know. When shocked, people consciously or unconsciously tends to make their brain forget what they want to forget
May 6, 2012 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
I wonder what happened with her uncle 45 yrs ago...? o_0

Hahah I thought the dude was smoking weed.... but it was just cigarettes.
May 6, 2012 8:36 PM
Dec 2008
supermegasonic said:
13man18 said:

i thought the same thing :)
May 6, 2012 9:04 PM

Feb 2010
Hmm i hope the uncle mystery is worth it.
May 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Nov 2008
The tabacco thing was kinda predictable, good episode though, development about Chitanda's "personal" reasons.
And Houtaro is as lazy as always :P
May 6, 2012 9:38 PM
Sep 2011
I was hoping that third year was a stoner or having sex with some girl in the back of the classroom, kinda disappointing the whole mystery got played up around cigarettes.

Nothing really happened though, the whole episode felt dragged out in my opinion but I like how it's getting a little darker and there seemed to be a little more character development for the MC.

If it keeps progressing the way it did in this episode it should prove to be a very interesting series if not the high school melodrama will ultimately turn out to be a bore.
May 6, 2012 9:39 PM

Oct 2008
A bit better. At least we have a long term mystery to solve now.
Houtaro's ability to solve and manipulate people was good, but still his character still grates me.
The whole "saving energy" thing really is a terrible reason for his lack of overt emotion. He's not even sarcastic like Tomoya. As a result, character interactions suffer and are kind of a chore to watch through, especially since we're missing Satoshi.

The mystery this time around also had an extremely predictable and boring conclusion, but at least it was fun watching Houtaro make his sempai squirm.

The classical music feels oddly out of place. The show's own original soundtrack is far better. The classical music chosen lulls you into relaxation, something I really shouldn't be doing in a good mystery.

After three episodes, it seems that mysteries are just simple questions to everyday occurrences and are certainly not the highlight of this anime.
Will keep watching for Chitanda and beautiful animation/art.
OmniknightMay 6, 2012 9:43 PM
May 6, 2012 9:44 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
So far this series isn't really grabbing me with it's plot. I couldn't figure out what the mystery was supposed to be, but now that I know a little more it isn't that interesting. I'll still watch it regardless, just to see where it goes.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.