Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2008 8:29 PM
Nov 2007
I love that line the Ai says before sending someone to hell but ive seen it translated a few different ways in the subtitled version: (all except the last line are rough translations)

"Oh pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness
thy actions cause men pain and suffering
thy hollow soul drowns in they sins..."

My main question is what the last line translates as because I have seen two fairly different subtitle translations. The one I like is

"...how would you like to see what death is like."

another one I have seen is

"...won't you try dying this once."

Is there an official translation for the last line, or at least a generally accepted one?
Sep 22, 2008 7:00 AM

May 2008
"...Do you want to see what death is like?"

Would be the official translation since it's used in the english translation of the manga.

("...So would you please hurry up and die?" has been used too, but it was just in a mini comic as a joke in vol 2)
Sep 22, 2008 6:33 PM

Jun 2008
She says "いっぱい、死んで見る?” = "ippai, shin de miru"

Now the first part, いっぱい can be either 一杯 or 一敗 (both are pronounced the same). The first one means "one cup" literally, but can also mean "to the utmost" (says the dictionary). The second one means "one defeat" literally. I'm not sure which one she says. I think it means "once" (it makes more sense to me), but it could actually be "to the utmost"...

Then you have:

shin = death/die
miru = watch/look/see

So together, it literally means, "want to see death once"

uh, literal translation is awkward since grammar and word order doesn't fit XD

"...how would you like to see what death is like."
has the second part more literally (ie "see death")

"...won't you try dying this once."
has the first part (once), and the second part is taken more with the meaning instead of literal sense ("see death" = dying)

MapleRoseSep 22, 2008 6:39 PM
Sep 22, 2008 7:15 PM
May 2008
^ i always thought it was "ippen" instead of "ippai", or am I the only one hearing it wrongly? or does it mean exactly the same?
Sep 22, 2008 7:29 PM
Nov 2007
So both translations are valid but the "Want to see what death is like?" one is the official one. Cool I actually prefer that one. I love that line and it sends a shiver up my spine every time she says it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Sep 23, 2008 6:46 AM

Jun 2008
mizrock said:
^ i always thought it was "ippen" instead of "ippai", or am I the only one hearing it wrongly? or does it mean exactly the same?

haha, oops, I think it was "ippen", it was late and my memory was fuzzy (excuses excuses) XD

"ippen" = "once", which would make more sense XD
Oct 4, 2008 10:04 PM
Oct 2008
The 'shin de miru' part of the phrase is te-miru form which means "to try something out," so the line would translate to something like "just once, won't you try dying?" or as seekster had in his post, "won't you try dying this once?" I'm not exactly an expert at Japanese, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Oct 5, 2008 12:47 PM

Aug 2008
Apeiron said:
The 'shin de miru' part of the phrase is te-miru form which means "to try something out," so the line would translate to something like "just once, won't you try dying?" or as seekster had in his post, "won't you try dying this once?" I'm not exactly an expert at Japanese, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

That was basically what I was thinking. "Ippen" means "once"; "shinde" means to die; "miru" (when paired with "te" or "de") means to "try". So I guess... "try dying this once?"

Now, I have a question too, on translations. When Enma Ai sends the victims to die, she says "Kono urami jigoku e nagashimasu". Translations were something like, "I shall ferry this revenge to hell". I'm no expert in Japanese, but from my understanding, doesn't that line translate to: "This vengeance shall flow into hell"?

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 5, 2008 1:09 PM
Oct 2008
Sounds right to me, but I'm no expert either.
Oct 11, 2008 10:25 PM

Mar 2008
guyklc said:
Apeiron said:

That was basically what I was thinking. "Ippen" means "once"; "shinde" means to die; "miru" (when paired with "te" or "de") means to "try". So I guess... "try dying this once?"

Now, I have a question too, on translations. When Enma Ai sends the victims to die, she says "Kono urami jigoku e nagashimasu". Translations were something like, "I shall ferry this revenge to hell". I'm no expert in Japanese, but from my understanding, doesn't that line translate to: "This vengeance shall flow into hell"?

ur translation for 'ippen shindemiru' is mostly correct. it is hard to say wat the official translation should be, because some ppl might have different opinions on the meaning, in english. but if u think in the Japanese language, 'shinde miru' means something like 'try dying', or 'see wat death is like'. however, in english, it becomes a very weird nuance, coz we dont usually say it like that. it would be very easy to understand if we say in english,'would you like to die?' the translation for ippen is correct, except that we usually dont say 'would you like to die this once?'

now for the second question, 'kono urami jigoku e nagashimasu'..
'nagashimasu' is particularly hard to translate. it could mean to float something in the water, or bring something somewhere through the water. there is also a translation for 'banish', for example banishing someone to a solitary island is translated as 'kojima ni nagashimasu'.
so if u want a particularly accurate translation, it would be "i shall banish this grudge to hell"
otherwise, it should be something like "i shall bring this vengeance/grudge/revenge to hell"
if u're studying japanese, this is a good way to understand the diff between nagashimasu and nagaremasu. if it's nagaremasu, 'this vengeance shall flow into hell' would be the correct translation. this is one of the unique points of the language. they have 2 distinct types of verbs, transitive and intransitive.
Oct 22, 2008 3:02 PM

Aug 2008

now for the second question, 'kono urami jigoku e nagashimasu'..
'nagashimasu' is particularly hard to translate. it could mean to float something in the water, or bring something somewhere through the water. there is also a translation for 'banish', for example banishing someone to a solitary island is translated as 'kojima ni nagashimasu'.
so if u want a particularly accurate translation, it would be "i shall banish this grudge to hell"
otherwise, it should be something like "i shall bring this vengeance/grudge/revenge to hell"
if u're studying japanese, this is a good way to understand the diff between nagashimasu and nagaremasu. if it's nagaremasu, 'this vengeance shall flow into hell' would be the correct translation. this is one of the unique points of the language. they have 2 distinct types of verbs, transitive and intransitive.

Oh wow, thanks. I totally forgot about transitive and intransitive verb forms in Japanese. I suppose "nagashimasu" is the transitive verb form?
cyruzOct 22, 2008 3:17 PM

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Nov 3, 2008 5:47 AM

Mar 2008
guyklc said:

Oh wow, thanks. I totally forgot about transitive and intransitive verb forms in Japanese. I suppose "nagashimasu" is the transitive verb form?

yeap that's correct.
n u're welcomed
Nov 9, 2009 5:24 AM

Aug 2009
I know this was started a while ago but I noticed changing this back into Kanji was difficult with all translations, even in Chinese you get different translations. Although I do not know which is correct, in terms of the more generally accepted version, thoughout the net more people seem to think the translation is "Want to try dieing this once?" Well it's not perfect english, but it is still a good sentence structure and wouldn't be commented on should you use something similar. However I suppose one of the reasons for this translation being more widely accepted is that people think it sounds better than others. If you were to convert this phrase into gramattical english it would probably only need the word "Just" so that it was read:

"Want to try dieing, just this once?"
(still not perfect english)

The main problem I see is like many other languages words can mean different things depending on the circumstances in which they were used, this is even noticeable in translating european languages as sentence structure and words do not always translate directly.

For now I would believe either translation is fine as the point of the words is still carried across. However if I was subbing I'd probably leave it as "Ippen, Shinde Miru?"

If you need the most popular though it is:

"Want to try dieing this once?"

~Now I'll stop babelling~
Dec 9, 2009 7:21 PM

Dec 2009
The subs I got are no where near as good as shinsen-subs.
YuS-MaiWaiFu is the sub group I got my subs from.

I think most of the translations from this group are simplified.
The first series was in English, the second series I saw with shinsen-subs and it was mostly like the English version, but the third series is almost confusing to me with their wierd translations.

I listened to the last scentence Hell Girl says before she sends someone to hell, and the translations are not the same in season 2 & 3. Although, the last line sounds the same, they apparently have different meanings.... I don't know whats that about.

Anyway, I can't wait to rewatch the 3rd series when Shinsen-subs starts making their translations in a few weeks.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Oct 25, 2008

119 by JoseGuilhermeCR »»
May 21, 6:33 PM

» do you really believe that all thee victims deserved to go to hell

geekfreak17a - May 17, 2014

5 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 18 Discussion

guyklc - Feb 7, 2009

35 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 27, 2008

72 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 23 Discussion

guyklc - Mar 14, 2009

47 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.