Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2012 12:44 PM
Aug 2011
great animation, everything else is shit
Apr 23, 2012 12:46 PM

Jun 2011
Artego32rus said:

You must not be watching Upotte!
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Apr 23, 2012 12:46 PM

Aug 2010
Good start.
Incredible animation.
Apr 23, 2012 1:03 PM
Jan 2011
Ok, so this anime is 21 episodes long, IMO I think it's too much for a simpleton anime like this.
Apr 23, 2012 1:22 PM

Oct 2011
Nasty001 said:
Ok, so this anime is 21 episodes long, IMO I think it's too much for a simpleton anime like this.

While I'd usually agree - I think that this will develop into quite a fascinating anime as it goes on. It was only one episode so far - not only is that too early to base such a claim on - but it is also ignoring the very fact that it is 21 episodes long.

They would not plan it to be a full length of 21 episodes without knowing the story and path they wish to follow in advance. You may think that for a normal school anime, 21 episodes would be too large - but I have a feeling that this anime will grow to fit its own length.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Apr 23, 2012 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
I like the fact it's very dialogue based.

I like the great animation.

I like the soundtrack. Nice use of Air. Can anyone tell me what the cello piece at the end was? I definitely recognize it and I'm kicking myself for having forgotten.

Looks like it will turn out to be a very nice Anime.
No.
Apr 23, 2012 1:39 PM
Mar 2008
Artego32rus said:

/thread
Apr 23, 2012 1:44 PM
Oct 2010
I thought this episode was a charming start. It introduced the general mood and characters and established the setting. I do not see why people compare the male mains to the Tomoya-Sunohara duo; the dynamics of the two pairs are completely different, as other people observed.

We should be prepared for increasingly complex conversations (and difficult Kanji) a la spice and wolf or bakemonogatari; this is probably not an anime that forgives careless fansubs. I think people are too hung up on the 'mystery' aspect and forgot to notice how interesting the dialogue was. People who enjoyed the two aforementioned anime will probably find something to like here. I just wish the female characters will be as interesting as the male ones; so far, the Chitanda girl does not look so interesting, even with the foreshadowing at the beginning.

Finally, it was nice to see the visual exposition of emotions and thought processes be so well animated, imaginative but relevant and understandable in contrast to a certain other studio's respective 'avant garde' scenes (I do agree the unfortunate difference in budgets makes it hard for that other studio to compete).

Hopefully, the series will continue like this and perhaps weave a more intricate story beside its slice of life identity; not that I would complain if it didn't.
hentai_proxyApr 23, 2012 1:49 PM
Apr 23, 2012 1:49 PM

Mar 2012
draker said:
Artego32rus said:

/thread

/urdumb
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 2010
Scruff said:
I like the soundtrack. Nice use of Air. Can anyone tell me what the cello piece at the end was? I definitely recognize it and I'm kicking myself for having forgotten.
It's the prelude from Bach's Cello Suit no. 1.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller

Jan 2011
Artego32rus said:

Oh god i hope this won't be a trend now just like it was with that one series that ended not to long ago lol..
Apr 23, 2012 2:12 PM

Aug 2009
Well, I for one friken enjoyed the first episode. My type of anime. Almost slice of life yet there is a plot.

And the dialogue which they speak is fitting for me! Lol.

For me at the moment its 9/10 but there will be a 10/10 if there is the correct amount of romance!
Apr 23, 2012 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
Ajunky said:
Scruff said:
It's the prelude from Bach's Cello Suit no. 1.

Thanks a lot. Appreciated.

Also, reading this thread makes me wonder if the the MAL community is retarded. How can people hate on this after one episode and point out the Animation as it's only good quality. It's a lot better than anything this season (or last season) I've seen so far.
No.
Apr 23, 2012 2:40 PM
May 2011
I see a lot of potential in this. The animation is outstanding, the characters are likeable and the screenplay is very good. To be honest I was pretty fond of K-On!!, people often bemoan its lack of a central story (which is a genre trait, not an issue) without any appreciation for its more subtle qualities. In any case, if the core mystery, that will presumably be introduced next episode, is interesting this could easily become one of my favourites. Oh, and the music choices are good as well, its nice to see they're continuing the classical soundtrack trend from Nichijou.
Apr 23, 2012 2:49 PM

Jan 2008
great animation quality and I liked the male charas. We'll see if the lack of a central story can keep me interested since I am normally not into Slice of Life Animes..
Apr 23, 2012 3:06 PM

Aug 2008
Those purple eyes...I'll never forget those things.
Apr 23, 2012 3:08 PM

Jun 2007
love it very much

its all about them eyes!!!
Apr 23, 2012 3:36 PM

May 2011
This was awesome, much better than what I had expected. Both the art and animation were just great, and I am liking the characters so far. This is actually very interesting and enjoyable.

Holy crap Houtarou sure is smart, lol and I love his attitude. Hes got a great motto and it sounds perfect for someone like me. Laziness and doing the least amount of work ftw.

Eru is sooooo cute and nice. Goddamn her shining and curious eyes, its completely irresistible. Damn I love her already, and lol I can see why he just unconsciously hands over his form.
Apr 23, 2012 3:57 PM
Dec 2007
Art and direction are magnificent truly, KyoAni outdid itself. The characters are kinda cool too (very reminiscent of previous KyoAni characters like Kyon etc... though) and the script has a lot of potential for development. That was a great first ep.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 23, 2012 4:13 PM

Jun 2011
Well...That was a slow and somewhat boring start.
Animation is drool worthy though.
Apr 23, 2012 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
This show made me want to give myself mottos!!
...but then I realized I don't have any idea how to make one.

People must be freaking lucky to be born with a big brain...like that one dude.
I could totally relate to being the lonerr...not joining clubs~ blah blah blah
I thought "things would change once he met a girl" which is half true,
but he turns out to be a freaking genius.
I'M NOT A GENIUS AND I'M ALL ALONE!!!

GOSH DANGIT...WHY AM I SO STUPID?!? lol
Maybe watching this make me an ounce of an inch smarter.
(Note: I know that INCHES DON'T HAVE OUNCES...I just kind of did it to sound stupid...ahaha...get it? k. Don't hate, then.)
Apr 23, 2012 4:21 PM

May 2011
Impressive design, I love the characters too. :D
I saw a slight resemblance between Eru and Mio Akiyama, so damn moe!!!
Apr 23, 2012 4:40 PM

Jul 2010
EarlCiel said:
This show made me want to give myself mottos!!
...but then I realized I don't have any idea how to make one.

People must be freaking lucky to be born with a big brain...like that one dude.
I could totally relate to being the lonerr...not joining clubs~ blah blah blah
I thought "things would change once he met a girl" which is half true,
but he turns out to be a freaking genius.
I'M NOT A GENIUS AND I'M ALL ALONE!!!

GOSH DANGIT...WHY AM I SO STUPID?!? lol
Maybe watching this make me an ounce of an inch smarter.
(Note: I know that INCHES DON'T HAVE OUNCES...I just kind of did it to sound stupid...ahaha...get it? k. Don't hate, then.)

step 1:force yourself or get someone to force you to join a club/team/ect.
step 2: meet person who can potentially change your life
step 3: ???
step 4: PROFIT.

Apr 23, 2012 4:42 PM

Feb 2011
It's shiny and the main character is interesting. Nothing else has grasped my attention yet,
Apr 23, 2012 4:48 PM
Jun 2011
The classical music is so nice, it fits right on this anime.
Apr 23, 2012 5:08 PM

Jan 2012
So they just make the girl interested in something every episode to avoid the main character from having to do extra?
Apr 23, 2012 5:30 PM

Sep 2011
gosh damn this thread got alot of comments quick.

Taking another look at the message from the director I do agree that there will be a heartly does of slice of life in here. The MC (forgot his name sorry XD) Don't strike me as the kind of character these people will leave alone without something changing in him.

Alot of critisim sofar comes from either boredom or haters of highshcool anime. I can get the boring aspect as whilI wasn't bored, I was a bit lost in the second half in my first viewing, but getting tired of x type of anime simply comes with getting older and seeing more anime.

sometimes its slow sometimes its fast but we'll eventally get sick of something and claim that what we saw at the time was good and will deem everything else as shit, what I'm going to be interested in seeing is that when this whole generation of "the big three" and current HS-esct animes come to a end and be replaced by the newer ones that will probably be fairly identical is how many of us will become those people who bash the future stuff.

Not saying I won't at some point in time, but I nontheless felt it would be nice if I tried to bring a perspective on this sort of thing.
Apr 23, 2012 5:46 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I just hope they don't tune down the mystery aspect. It's supposed be one of the selling point of the original novels along with the slice of life theme.

I might be getting old because gosh I was bored by this episode. I think I'll read the original novels in Japanese instead. It might be faster.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 23, 2012 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
Giving me Disappearance vibes. Pretty cool.
Apr 23, 2012 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
http://animuthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/04/hyou-ka-episode-1.html
Pics and impression based stuffs here.

I actually kind of like this show. Will continue. Hopefully the mysteries will be a little more intriguing though. The animation quality helped make up for that here but in future episodes it might be a little meh.
Apr 23, 2012 7:46 PM

Feb 2010
Liked it, specially the dialogue between Satoshi and Hotaru and the second mystery, also how they portrayed how Hotaru was falling prey of Chitanda's charms, even if it was a bit weird. I didn't really find it boring, and as one of my most anticipated shows, it didn't really disappointed me. I love hoy fluid and clean it looks, but I think it will get good or at least fairly entertaining story-wise.
hiromeeApr 23, 2012 7:50 PM
Apr 23, 2012 8:09 PM

Jul 2009
I fucking love Bach's cello suites.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 23, 2012 8:14 PM

Feb 2010
closed room mistery? master keys? im the only one who thought about umineko? lol.

i like the main character, kinda reminds me of myself in a way.
VanisherApr 23, 2012 8:27 PM
Apr 23, 2012 8:29 PM

Aug 2011
This is...so good.

I swear, this season is looking better and better, with Tsuritama and now this show.
Apr 23, 2012 9:00 PM
Apr 2011
Was hoping for a bit more development in story. Not sure whether animation and character development is enough for me to stay on this anime. Granted I liked Satoshi as he seems to be a charmer; Oreki's design seemed reminiscent of Araragi from Bakemonogatari but unsure about whether he possess something special yet. Somebody mentioned Kyon who i agree resembles his personality. Chitanda... wth? Total mystery to me right now.

This might get a few eps watched from me but I'm not sure where it's going yet. Looking at the synopsis in MAL I'm hoping for some relevance to that listed storyline.
Apr 23, 2012 9:15 PM

Feb 2010
zorapup said:
Was hoping for a bit more development in story. Not sure whether animation and character development is enough for me to stay on this anime.

Well, this is episode 1 so the best you can hope is the establishing of some parts of the story, certainly not development. Characters, art, animation etc.. can be judged after 1 episode (to a degree), story can't be.

Plus I'm sure the storyline from the synopsis will kick in soon enough. Maybe one more introduction episode for the fourth main character, but I expect that we have an idea about the quality of the story after episode 3 or so.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2012 9:48 PM

Oct 2008
Mystery 1: Why was I locked in the room?
Solution: Janitor locked it.
Mystery 2: Where would they post recruitment info for a secret club?
Solution: ON the billboard with the most recruitment flyers.

I don't mind mystery. In fact, I love a good mystery. The mystery itself already has nothing interesting about it... Add the fact that the reason or solution to the mystery is even MORE uneventful and banal, I hardly feel the mystery portion of me stir in this anime at all... I even started to skip ahead in the last 5 minutes because it just wanted to see the end...

The second mystery had potential, but they didn't build on what made the secret club so mysterious, other than no one other than the members know about it... WHY IS IT SECRET? WHAT IS THE CODE BEHIND THE RECRUITMENT INFO? WHO IS THE NEW PRESIDENT? The mysterious aspects weren't even touched upon...

So far the only good thing I like about this anime is Eru's mysterious power and her very innocent personality.

I understand this is the first episode, but really... do you have to start the anime with such a terrible "mystery." But yes, as always, the animation and character designs from KyoAni are top notch.

Next episode mystery: Where did I put my shoes?
Solution: They were in the closet...

TL:DR Very disappointed, but willing to give it a chance to improve.
OmniknightApr 24, 2012 5:55 AM
Apr 23, 2012 10:27 PM

Feb 2010
Omniknight said:

The second mystery had potential, but they didn't build on what made the secret club so mysterious, other than no one other than the members know about it... WHY IS IT SECRET? WHAT IS THE CODE BEHIND THE RECRUITMENT INFO? WHO IS THE NEW PRESIDENT? The mysterious aspects weren't even touched upon...

I want to believe that you understood that the second mystery was a lie, right?
Apr 23, 2012 10:29 PM

Nov 2010
Amazing animation and Chitandra is greatness. the episode itself was only decent. but ill be sticking with it for sure.
Apr 24, 2012 12:31 AM

Jan 2010
Wow, I like the main character! He is good at logic that's why I like him. When he meet with the female, I'm PRAYING she won't act like HARUHI or I hope she IS NOT A FREAKING TSUNDERE! I was soooo nervous and to make it worse, that scene was slow motioned! I'm so relieved she is not a tsundere and not annoying like Haruhi!

I do thought Hotaro is like Kyon a bit (Idk I just get the feeling), and Chitanda also resemble Haruhi a bit (The forcefulness and mysterious power), she wasn't my taste. I dislike forceful person. Oh, at her curiousity about mysteries, it reminds me of Mayura(Matantei Loki, and I dislike her).

So, let see what will happen next! Oh yeah, I really like Hotaro's friend (Satoshi)! I hope there won't be any romance in this series... I don't know but I already dislike Hotaro and Chitanda pairing... Ah, and the OP song is great, the animation pretty good too....

I really hope some good mysteries, and some drama in later episodes...
Apr 24, 2012 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
Omniknight said:

Didn't Hotaro make everything up, from the club to the memo? I could be wrong, as I wasn't paying too much attention at the time. It's not as much a mystery as it was a trick to aid his efficiency, or so he thought. Oddly, this was the one part of the episode I liked.
Apr 24, 2012 2:11 AM

Oct 2010
I love the graphics, and its OP :)
Apr 24, 2012 2:14 AM

Jul 2011
I love the art & animation, the character design, and the story seems promising (well it's quite boring at some points). the atmosphere is relaxing yet intriguing... yes this is going to be one good series!!!
milloApr 24, 2012 4:39 AM
Apr 24, 2012 4:33 AM

Jun 2010
Like most people have stated here, great animation & designs. However the mysteries were non-interesting... I hope it's only the first episode.
Apr 24, 2012 5:06 AM

Oct 2011
beautiful animation, pleasant show - nothing too thrilling, but it feels like it has potential as a character driven romance/drama type thing...
Apr 24, 2012 5:51 AM

Oct 2008
MissileSoup said:
Omniknight said:

Didn't Hotaro make everything up, from the club to the memo? I could be wrong, as I wasn't paying too much attention at the time. It's not as much a mystery as it was a trick to aid his efficiency, or so he thought. Oddly, this was the one part of the episode I liked.

I thought that perhaps it may have been the case when he said something along the lines of "perfect timing" and had that smile, but the first mystery was so banal and there was no conclusion to the "joke" other than "Yay, we found it", that I honestly just took it as a serious attempt at mystery from the writers...
That actually makes it even worse when a made a mystery made up by the protagonist is more interesting that the actual ones...

Edit: Ya, it is obvious that it was a joke from the epilogue portion of the episode. I mentioned I skimmed the last portions of the episode because I was flat-lining from boredom.
OmniknightApr 24, 2012 5:58 AM
Apr 24, 2012 6:28 AM

Aug 2010
Even if the mysteries are kinda dumb at the moment, KyoAni are known for their slice-of-life shows. And I believe that Hyouka gonna be another excellent slice-of-life anime. I don't mind if they cut all that mystery out, just let me observe this everyday's life of Eru and Houtarou, and i ll be more than pleased.
IMO, this show has got a great potential,damn, it instantly became one of my favorite shows of this season.
Apr 24, 2012 6:28 AM
Jun 2008
I think its more like making Eru happy rather than solving mystery here..

kinda boring episode. zZZ
Apr 24, 2012 6:29 AM

Jul 2010
comments regarding how bad this show is so immature
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 24, 2012 6:55 AM

Mar 2012
i found the flowers thing very cute. sort of like a metaphor to describe how houtarou finds chitanda intriguingly mysterious?????? (or pretty????). and it has become the planks that i will use to build my new ship.

also, THAT ANIMATION.
don't save her, she don't wanna be saved.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.