Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2012 5:08 AM

Nov 2010
Apr 23, 2012 5:13 AM

Nov 2009
I found it quite boring in all honesty. It hasnt really gripped me yet.

I'll probably stick with it, I've watched far worse after all but it's certainly not a masterpiece already if you look past the animation.
Apr 23, 2012 5:13 AM

Dec 2009
Hmm, a lovable main guy and heroine, and an enthusiastic friend with Pachi-boy's VA.

The opening visuals are beautiful, and.... DAT HAIR.
Apr 23, 2012 5:30 AM

Aug 2011
Not bad, whole show felt classy from start to finish.

MC seems pretty boring but will probably open up later. Eru was wonderful, her goddamn eyes man. I loved how they emphasised that to the male lead. Visuals were great, the glow from the sun illuminating the classrooms made Eru's presence warmer. OP was very good.

I like mysteries and I like KyoAni. So I'll continue to watch.
Apr 23, 2012 5:44 AM

May 2008
Apparently Okazaki and Sunohara reincarnated as best frens again this time by the name of Houtarou and Satoshi . GOOD JOB KYOTO.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 23, 2012 5:44 AM

Dec 2010
nozomisasaki said:
Great animation, Cute girl, aside from that nothing new, nothing special.

tries to be uniqe (i think?) but fails, you might think its wrong to judge 1 episode, but no its not, even if it develops later on the stereotypes and generic shit are already there, its like im the watching the same thing over and over again with these high school series lately.

i dont even understand why kyoani animates this, its just another school setting that tries to be unique with some mystery thrown in and could never succeed without cute characters and high quality animation.

people that truly like this either havent seen enough or are under 18 years old..
It's not mature enoughf or such a mature person such as yourself Mr. Death Note?
Apr 23, 2012 5:59 AM

Nov 2009
I don't know why people try to force their opinions on others
it's fine if the episode was crap for you but that doesn't give you the right to insult others
for example Sankarea's episode was crap to me but I see that many people liked it and that's fine because people have different tastes
I liked this episode very much, it shows promise, likeable characters and well written dialogue, this can be a great show or turn to be average we don't know at the moment.
Apr 23, 2012 6:10 AM

Nov 2011
Great first episode, likable characters, story and art
Well worth the wait
Apr 23, 2012 6:11 AM
Apr 2012
Des said:

Great animation?
Looked like most other animes nowadays, except for the few special scenes like Eru's hair entangling that guy.

Name me some titles that have: good hair movement, eye blinking, crowd scenes (like the scenes at the beginning and the end of this ep) which don't use panning over a static image technique, lively background... etc.
Not to mention lighting of some scenes, they remind me of the famed 5cm/s.
I honestly can't recall any non-Kyoani titles having those.
ShadowySApr 23, 2012 6:18 AM
Apr 23, 2012 6:13 AM

Jul 2009
I wasn't expecting any kind of huge plot from the get-go, and I enjoy slice-of-life, so this is fine. I like the characters, found the dialogue interesting, and the art and animation was lovely.

I hope this doesn't have any supernatural elements. I'm getting a little tired of supernatural mysteries; I like being able to work out the solution myself, which is no fun when 'a wizard did it' is an option. I don't mind if the mysteries remain minor and trivial, but I'd rather they stay mundane.

As a fan of animation, I'm vaguely upset by the people in this thread acting like good animation isn't worth merit.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Apr 23, 2012 6:18 AM

Jun 2009
I like the characters so far. I hope that this Anime stays interesting.
Apr 23, 2012 6:21 AM

Sep 2009
"This is like Okazaki Tomoya and Sunohara Youhei all over again" I thought at the beginning of the ep ;D
Apr 23, 2012 6:43 AM

Aug 2010
One of the rare first episodes of a show that leaves me confused as to whether I like it or not. Seriously I don't know if this show is good or bad. I'll wait and see another episode to be sure.

Oh and great animation....
Apr 23, 2012 7:01 AM

Jul 2011
shanimebib said:
Best buddies are back! Nakamura Yuuichi (Okazaki Tomoya) as Houtarou and
Sakaguchi Daisuke (Sunohara Youhei) as Satoshi!

The animation level is... stunning!

I knew it!

When Satoshi spoke I was like "Sunohara...?"
Apr 23, 2012 7:22 AM

Jun 2010
Like everyone most says, the animations was great and the OST, and the slow start.
I'm hoping for harder mysteries for them to solve because in this 1st episode is easy, but it's just 1st so maybe in future ^^
LOL
Apr 23, 2012 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
Looks really promising, great animation too!
Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Sep 2011
It's no surprise Houtarou fell under Eru's spell. Not even a stone-hearted person like him could have resisted the charmes of her. She seems a bit too naive for her well-being but she is a polite and apperently smart girl so that's not a too severe flaw.

The animation at the ghost story scene with the usage of water-colourish techniques was beautiful.
Apr 23, 2012 7:46 AM

Aug 2008
Sunohara? Tomoya? Is that you?
I'm loving Houtarou already. The animation looks good too.
Apr 23, 2012 7:50 AM

Mar 2008
So, finally got around to watch it.
Animation is really stunning (as expected).. a lot of dialogue.
Seems like a slice-of-life-ish show but I do hope they'll go deeper into the "mystery" aspect and it won't stay so fluffy... I think I'd still end up watching it till the end just because of the animation x_x
Apr 23, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2011
Okazaki & Sunohara

Re- Unite !!
Apr 23, 2012 8:08 AM

May 2010
Looks like this series has an interesting plot, I'll be keeping an eye on it !!
Apr 23, 2012 8:13 AM

Dec 2010
The animation is breath taking, such gorgeous art and animation.
I love the main girl so far, hope it stays good.
Apr 23, 2012 8:15 AM

Feb 2009
<Insert comment about praising the animation here like everyone else is doing>

And it's like a mix of Tomoya/Sunohara combo in Clannad plus the Kyousuke/Manami pairing in OreImo, with a mix of K-On art.
Well I quite liked the conversations and Chitanda's eyes. Houtarou is too low key though. Really needs to liven up a bit.

All I can say is, "Watashi, Kininarimasu!"
Apr 23, 2012 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
Average episode for me!
Ordinary highschool guy who is lazy but intelligent (you have to be intelligent if you really what have a lazy life!!) meets a strange girl in the same club! Poor highschool guy, his bad older sister (why older sisters are always bad and brutal in anime?) forced him to enroll in this club... Mysteries who are not mysteries!

Well I don't say it's bad (yet), there are a lot of series worst than this one, but really nothing exceptional so far! Maybe because of this specially good season, and specially good first episodes from other series... I will keep watching...
Still, with this one it's 19 new series I want to watch... I need 48h/day -_-
Apr 23, 2012 8:22 AM

Sep 2009
As soon as I heard the boys talking, Clannad automatically flashed into my head. Oh, how I like Nakamura Yuuichi voicing men <3
And the over exaggeration was pretty interesting. He just can't say no to her. Find that pretty cute.
And my God, Choucho opening <33
And yes, the animation is pretty well done.

Don't uberly love it, but do like it so far. Houtarou seems pretty interesting and like the friendship thing going on.
Apr 23, 2012 8:23 AM

Mar 2012
nozomisasaki said:
Great animation, Cute girl, aside from that nothing new, nothing special.

tries to be uniqe (i think?) but fails, you might think its wrong to judge 1 episode, but no its not, even if it develops later on the stereotypes and generic shit are already there, its like im the watching the same thing over and over again with these high school series lately.

i dont even understand why kyoani animates this, its just another school setting that tries to be unique with some mystery thrown in and could never succeed without cute characters and high quality animation.

people that truly like this either havent seen enough or are under 18 years old..

Meanwhile, at nozomisasaki's profile.

"About nozomisasaki:

IM SO SICK OF HIGH SCHOOL ANIME, FUCK off, they all try to be different but fail."
JoshApr 23, 2012 8:35 AM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 23, 2012 8:31 AM

Jan 2010
Interesting(although a bit cliched).. Good Animation..
Will watch more.. 4/5
Apr 23, 2012 8:34 AM

May 2010
Lol,I was going to watch Ginga e kickoff but when I see it on the airing list,I left that right there & started to watch it.It seems really interesting,my kind of anime although I still don't understand why do their eyes sparkle so much...
Apr 23, 2012 8:46 AM
Aug 2010
hussien-11 said:
I don't know why people try to force their opinions on others
it's fine if the episode was crap for you but that doesn't give you the right to insult others

Not everyone does that.
I don't.

Apr 23, 2012 9:06 AM

Sep 2009
ahmed_great2005 said:
I still don't understand why do their eyes sparkle so much...
Trying to show drops of enthusiasm.
Apr 23, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2011
i think it can be a really interesting anime.
lookin forward to this
Apr 23, 2012 9:22 AM

Jun 2010
I will NOT forgive them if they f**k this up. The art is beautiful, the characters really likeable (the low-energy protagonist is what I can identify with ^^), the mysteries are probably going to get better and better - just great first episode. Looking forward to watching more and I'm so grateful it's 21ep series.

EDIT: I've only now realised the people who did CLANNAD, Air, Kanon, Lucky Star and Nichijou are behind this. So sorry to have thought for even one second they might f**k this up. I'm sure K-On will stay as the only and the last piece of sh*t they've created.
ewormApr 23, 2012 9:26 AM
Apr 23, 2012 9:23 AM

Oct 2011
I have to say, though I am getting rather tired of High School anime in general, this one seems to be pretty good.

I love the animation (so does everyone else apparently) because it shows all the little movements and details that other anime always miss. What I do see though, is that - while it is smooth - the actual crispness of the image suffers a bit, and looks slightly blurred. (I am using Mazui's release, if that helps) It seems that a lot of anime where the animation is smooth, it has to give up some image clarity/crispness. It's a fair trade off, and I rather have a slightly blurry anime than a crisp clean slideshow.

I also love the chemistry between the characters - and though I was expecting Eru to grate on me by being a huge moe-blob, she seems to have some nice plot points, and her tag-line "Watashi Kininarimasu!" is cute, without being bland-moe-overdose. Speaking about chemistry- while it may be because I remember Clannad - Satoshi and Houtarou work really well together - and the fact that Eru is pretty much giving Houtarou energy to do things like this is a really cute plot point.

Am I the only one here who got reminded of Toradora when it comes to the chemistry of the characters? The main difference here seems to be that this is using less "generic" points/'cliches', and it's a bit more original. The resemblances I see are:

Satoshi reminds me of Yuusaku - being the supportive, fun-to-be-around friend.
Houtarou reminds me of Ryuuji, with his unwillingness to go out of his way at first and his general attitude.
Eru reminds me of Minorin, because of her eagerness and smiles.
Finally, Mayaka seems to be a Taiga-like (tsundere) character that will be coming in next episode.

Overall, really liked the vibe I got from this first episode. While not much may be going on, it has 20 more episodes to fix that, and the characters are interesting already - the animation quality doesn't hurt either. I'll be watching this for sure.

85/100
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Apr 23, 2012 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
I was never a fan of CLannad or key fanboys, but with many postings here it seems to me the people who hate simply because it's kyoani can stand their own against the fanboys :P
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2012 9:33 AM

Apr 2011
Eru is super duper adorably epicly amazingly lovingly cute.

Period.
Apr 23, 2012 9:59 AM
Oct 2010
I think Eru has a Geass...
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 23, 2012 10:03 AM

Nov 2010
1. If you're expecting Hyouka to be a full-blown mystery anime, you're fucked.
2. If you're not expecting slice of life, you're fucked.

Hyouka is what I'm expecting at the beginning. Pretty show, with slow pace and laid back atmosphere... Just with a bit of mystery spin. Characters are likeable so far and I've got their chemistry already. That's the basic gem for slice of life.

Now the question is just where will the show head to.
1. They may keep this pace with some short to medium arcs while keeping the character develops. I guess that's going to give a vibe similar to Iris Zero (Manga)
2. They could give some big mystery, but I guess they can't get pretty far if they just purely relied on mystery.
3. Or they just use the mystery as a plot device and enhancing the chemistry between main chars to be a good, simple and sweet pairings to create good romance. Some character drama and character development should be good.

And for those who haven't read :
www.animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2012/spring/hyouka

I'm working hard, confident that we'll make this a great work.

“Thorns of Youth”. This is what I wanted to depict. When we're in school, that special time in our lives, we experience many things. Fun things and interesting things, of course, but also events that prick at our hearts, and I believe that all of these become very bright, precious memories to us. I wanted to depict how such thorns leave their scabs, causing our hearts to grow stronger and mature.

Word to Fans
I'm working very hard together with many different people to make this work even better, so please look forward to it.

—Director: Yasuhiro Takemoto

This will be a show about adolescence, a basic premise that is very appropriate to KyoAni's usual capability. Also, according to the original writer, they together made a different approach to the anime. That means we will never know what to expect here, and that's why I'm looking forward to Hyouka.
Apr 23, 2012 10:12 AM

May 2009
No kidding... Amazing animation and artwork! I love the addition of the watercolour animation too! And the narrative is absorbing! Those 20 minutes so full of intense dialogues and fluid movements felt like an hour!! =D (Well, maybe coz I kept going back every 2 mins to view the animation in slow-mo, heh)

Damn... Sakamichi no Apollon and Hyouka seem to be setting the standard for new anime shows! =D Not to forget Fate Zero! :D

Sahweeeet juice this! ^_^
Gonna rewatch this ep probably 2 or more times before the next ep. =D

This is what you call a good story... one that uses the characters' gestures and body language so intensely with a quality set of dialogues!
I am just too amazed right now! I'm so proud of the hard work these guys have put into this! :)

I just LOVE how Oreki and Fukube discuss their own personalities, and how Oreki keeps reacting to Fukube. And I love the fact that Oreki is using his rationalism to try to deduce his own new feelings but gets caught up in the personal defence game and is saved, or rather, 'found' by Fukube's observations.

And... Benaras? LMAO... how outdated are they? :))) The name of that city changed quite a few years ago to Varanasi. Oh well.. LOL at the number of shows this season referring to India. :))) Makes me oddly happy. Haha!

Promising!!

___

BRSxIgnition said:
What I do see though, is that - while it is smooth - the actual crispness of the image suffers a bit, and looks slightly blurred. (I am using Mazui's release, if that helps) It seems that a lot of anime where the animation is smooth, it has to give up some image clarity/crispness. It's a fair trade off, and I rather have a slightly blurry anime than a crisp clean slideshow.

Hmm.. My take on the blurred visual concept for the show is the fact that this anime is trying to recreate the physics of the human eye. As in, naturally whenever you see, only the point where you focus is clear and the rest of the surroundings are slightly blurred. I noticed the use of blurring too, but that makes it more genuine in terms of visual accuracy. Normal animes would keep a flat crispness through all the animation sequences, but here, because they've worked on the visuals so much, they've worked even further to create that effect. I personally think it suits the genre, especially with its bit of investigations. :) Even Sakamichi no Apollon uses this blurring technique quite effectively for certain scenes. :)
KundaliniApr 23, 2012 11:07 AM
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Apr 23, 2012 10:17 AM

May 2010
KyoAni, you may have another anime gem in the works. This anime started off great. Will be a show I will continue to watch this spring season :)

Apr 23, 2012 10:22 AM

Aug 2010
I dunno what I should think about the plot so far, but Eru's eyes are more than enough to watch it. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 23, 2012 10:30 AM

Nov 2011
the best thing i like about this is the characters
i expected chitanda to be a very annoying character but
she has a good character
Apr 23, 2012 11:46 AM
Aug 2011
I wonder if I'm counted as one of the "kyoani/key fanboys"

Because...
1- I watched this solely because its by kyoani
2- I gave at a 10 after 1 episode (but I can obviously change it depending on how it progresses)
3- I have no strong feelings towards DEEN
Apr 23, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
boring i was so bored i fell asleep fucking dropped
Apr 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Mar 2012
Interesting.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 23, 2012 12:09 PM
Aug 2008
I don't know why, but I really liked this.
Apr 23, 2012 12:15 PM

Jul 2009
MOE BLOB! MOE BLOB!
CHANT WITH ME!
MOE BLOB!

bloblob moe...
Apr 23, 2012 12:15 PM

Feb 2012
the animation was amazing. I can't wait till they get to the mystery part of the anime.
Apr 23, 2012 12:18 PM

May 2008
am I the only who thinks that Houtarou should've kept on doing what he does and not join the club. And I also dislike Chitanda, to me she seemed a bit pushy to him joining that club, I don't like pushy people. But yeah, the animation is superb and everything else about the episode was fun. So Houtarou and Satoshi is pretty cool, Chitanda not so much

Apr 23, 2012 12:21 PM

Feb 2008
nozomisasaki said:

It's cute that you try to attack people based on how much (or little) anime they've seen and yet only have 68 anime completed. I'm sure you can enjoy your mature anime for mature people such as yourself while the adults continue to watch this.
Apr 23, 2012 12:29 PM

Oct 2008
Nothing especial happened, just (really really really really) good animation.
I guess with 21 episodes, there's no need to rush things
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.