Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2012 9:13 PM

Sep 2011
kokoro_412 said:
Kyon?...is that you?...

XD yeah, I got a bit of a haruhi vibe myself
Apr 22, 2012 9:14 PM

Apr 2012
windy said:
Asclepsios said:
anyone knows when the OP's Full version will be released ?
may 2 :)

thanks x)

can't wait for it..

Apr 22, 2012 9:21 PM

Sep 2008
Waiting for Nagisa-san.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 9:31 PM

Jun 2010
Funny how the Main and his friend have the same respective VA as Tomoya and his friend in Clannad.

Mar 2012
Good episode was good.

Strongest opening episode of this season for me.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Feb 2012
Pretty Good series to start with in this spring season.

Animation- 5/5 Simply Amazing. It looks like it's real. Kinda reminds me of the trailer of 5 centimeters per second.

Story/Episode- I got pretty bored with all the talks and stuffs but we'll see as the series progresses. Good Way of introducing the MC's 3.75/5

P.S Chitanda Eru hnnnnnnggg So cute. My New Addiction lols and The OP. It just kills me to the bones. It sooo goood.
Apr 22, 2012 9:33 PM

Dec 2007
The episode was a bit boring. I was more captivated by the animation more than anything.
Apr 22, 2012 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
Great animation and unique choice of music. I do hope the story goes somewhere.
Apr 22, 2012 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
in the 1st ten seconds of watching this, it instantly reminded me of clannad. or even more specific, its literally clannad 2.0

in fact, if you research a bit, you find that both male leads are done by the same person;
passive lead is voiced by the same dude as tomoyo, and other guy is voiced by the guy for sunohara

Apr 22, 2012 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Great start for Hyouka, the use of visual effects was pretty damn good to see how Oreki reacts to things and to spice up the explanations a bit.
The misteries were what you'd expect from a introductory episode, no different than the silly stuff you see in real life high schools.

Can't wait to see all the cast gathered and investigating the Hyoka case, now that's when the real fun starts.
Apr 22, 2012 9:57 PM

Feb 2010
At that conversation in the beginning I immediately thought why the whole thing sounded so familiar. And indeed, it's Tomoya and Sunohara from Clannad. And I really like Houtarou and Satoshi so far. They're not stupid, have interesting skills, provided decent dialogues and I can identify with their mottos (both the low energy life style and the jokes having to be created in the moment). The seems to be likeable too and the whole mystery aspect willhopefully blend in in a good way. The whole "7 mysteries of ________ High School" thing reminded me a lot of the first Arc of the Kindaichi Anime I happened to watch 2 weeks ago.
Generally this episode didn't disappoint, and although by far not all the cards are on the table yet, I like the ones that are. Looking forward to more of this!
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2012 10:06 PM

Feb 2010
interesting first episode... quality animation.
Apr 22, 2012 10:09 PM

Jun 2009
not just those regular mystery high school animes. * more bright* I was expecting something like Another. but Hyouka is def. very creative. :)~ loving the background music.
will continue to watch.~
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Apr 22, 2012 10:16 PM

Dec 2011
Onii said:

Also, I really fucking love long hair. Just amazing.

This, and Eru's cuteness is out of the world XD

And about the episode, it's not that bad It's quite decent for a first episode, I'm sure things will be more interesting after this, really can't wait for the next episode! Oh and I hope there will be some romance between Eru and Houtarou later too! <3<3
Apr 22, 2012 10:19 PM

Jun 2010
Those eyes. You just can't say no to them.

Apr 22, 2012 10:25 PM

Sep 2010
Interesting, but kinda boring. Love KyoAni's art well except for Lucky Star the art for that show was horrible.

4/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 22, 2012 10:28 PM

Mar 2012
Shocked at the amount of people that didn't like the plot/script. I thought the dialogue was very well done, and the episode wrapped up a nice little mini-plot all the while hinting at the overall one. I wasn't bored for a moment.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 22, 2012 10:37 PM

Dec 2008
I'm honestly surprised people have the gall to hate on Hyouka considering everything else that's airing this season. Granted it didn't completely blow everything else out of the water but it at least it made me want to look forward to the next episode because it was actually interesting (everything else is either due to fandom tendencies or filler).

Did everyone forget that Hyouka's longer than just 12-14 episodes? This series can take its time on effectively developing itself, and from the looks of things, this is definitely a series that'll need its time to develop; hopefully it'll tap into its potential and not just mess around for 21 episodes.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Apr 22, 2012 10:42 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, I don't know why anyone expected them to indulge us in the main mystery in the first episode of twenty one.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 22, 2012 10:46 PM

Feb 2010
JoshSalas said:
Yeah, I don't know why anyone expected them to indulge us in the main mystery in the first episode of twenty one.

This. I didn't realize until now how many negative postings there were before mine and I really can't understand it. Maybe it's because it's already 3-4 weeks into the season and the other shows are already further in the plot or I don't know. The art was the least intriguing for me in this episode, as I already knew what to expect.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2012 10:50 PM

Aug 2009
Superb animation, the rest was pretty good. Fairly entertaining episode, I hope the mysteries get more intriguing later on though.
Apr 22, 2012 11:00 PM

Jun 2010
JoshSalas said:
Shocked at the amount of people that didn't like the plot/script. I thought the dialogue was very well done, and the episode wrapped up a nice little mini-plot all the while hinting at the overall one. I wasn't bored for a moment.

Same. I was excited all along. Maybe because I love mysteries? or they can't understand Houtaro's deduction? Either way, Nice episode.

Animation - 5/5
Story - 5/5

13man18 said:
Those eyes. You just can't say no to them.

Damn right.

Guess this will be my favorite Anime this season, or maybe this year depending how the story goes. KyoAni at its best.
Apr 22, 2012 11:18 PM

Jun 2009
KyoAni so animation is pretty much given.

Although I did watch the second part twice to understand why Oreki did that. I can stand those boy meets girl and MC being a normal guy not wanting to participate on anything and enjoy an easy going life then gets dragged around by the said girl cliches.

Nothing special but I like it so far. I still can't unsee Manami (from OreImo) on Chitanda though since Satou Satomi is using the exact same voice she did with her, but I'll probably get used to it.
Apr 22, 2012 11:18 PM

Oct 2010
Yvese said:
EDIT: Can't find the full song of the OP anywhere :(
ROFL! It never comes out that fast and rarely I have seen OPs come out fast in full version. It will take at least 1 month or more.
Wasabi said:
It just seemed flat and boring. Seems like another slice of life.
It is except there is mystery and SHIT HITS THE FANS parts around. If they can input the serious shit of the mystery supernatural with visuals, it seems it might not get boring at all in the future. However the intros are not always fun, that's for sure.
katsu044 said:
Since everyone has already talked about the art i will just say as expected of Kyoto Animation slightly more mature looking version of k-on
EXACTLY! If they can show that they can do with K-ON stuff something more serious it could open up the studio to more projects. MOE BLOBS will not be useless piles anymore. On top of that Eru has Druid powers less you can explain the flower part. If those powers are flowers of exorcism like I mention. HOLY SHIT GUY! She can wrap around any monster that stuff and POOF! Gone! No more monster. Powerful shit if any of them get entangled in her flowers.
windy said:
Asclepsios said:
anyone knows when the OP's Full version will be released ?
may 2 :)
FAST! Less than 1 month. Now that's fast.
Yumekichi11Apr 22, 2012 11:27 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 22, 2012 11:20 PM

Nov 2011
The first episode was far from interesting. I'll stick around at least for the start of the main plot. The number of episodes does not change the fact that this episode simply didn't do it for some people. None of the characters interest me, the mysteries were little more than trivial, and I simply don't care for the animation. That's not saying anything about the rest of the anime.
Apr 22, 2012 11:30 PM

Dec 2011
I like Eru alot. She's so euthastic about these mysteries. Idk if that was the OP or the ED song but I love it.
Apr 22, 2012 11:30 PM
May 2011
I think the scenes with flowers and his fantasy were just to show off the animation quality... I don't see the excuse in it.

Well we've been feeding KyoAni for a while, we should see something out of them sooner or later. Can't say much about episode 1, I didn't get half of it. So far the characters and setting is pretty solid and straight forward. But I don't see anything so "mysterious" about it as the genre promises.

I'll keep watching :x
Apr 22, 2012 11:36 PM

Dec 2007
Outsider354 said:
Shit episode.
Shit plot.
Shit taste.
As expected of Komeiji.

I agree, but just not to the extent of shit.

There is simply no premise to this anime.

throughout the episode you are asking yourself:

What is this about?

Will there be development?

Can it finish strong?

ehhh.... and again ok I just watched something >.>
Apr 22, 2012 11:37 PM

Nov 2009
Interesting ! I see the potential

I liked how they focused on showing Chitanda's shoes lol XD

Apr 22, 2012 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
AnimeKami said:

What is this about?

Will there be development?

Can it finish strong?

Except they don't.

Any sane, logical person realizes this is the first episode of a 21 episode anime.
Apr 23, 2012 12:05 AM

Mar 2012
AnimeKami said:
Outsider354 said:
Shit episode.
Shit plot.
Shit taste.
As expected of Komeiji.

What is this about?

Personally I hate when an entire first episode is devoted to laying out the premise and explaining 'what the show is about'. I don't know where this mindset came from, but I don't understand. Why would you want to know everything about it so early? What would be the point of continuing to watch it?

The episode succeeded in displaying the tone of the show (via. the dull coloured environment and quaint music) and began to develop a few of the main characters, not sure what more you could want out of a self-professed 'mystery' anime.
JoshApr 23, 2012 12:09 AM
LoneWolf said:
Apr 23, 2012 12:06 AM

Sep 2011
HitoriTomoyo said:
I'm honestly surprised people have the gall to hate on Hyouka considering everything else that's airing this season.

Like what? Everything airing this season is pretty good if not god-tier.
[center]
Apr 23, 2012 12:21 AM
Aug 2010
Yvese said:
The amount of haters is just unbelievable.

It's the first damn episode. The 4th main character hasn't even been introduced yet so of course it's going to be slow with light mysteries.

We havn't even got into the main plot yet so how can you possibly judge it this early? It's a 21 episode series. Sit back and relax.

I judged the first episode, not the series.

All I see from people who appreciated the first episode is praise to the animation and heart attacks on kyoani's usual waifu material, which has nothing to do with actual substance while people who disliked have tangible reasons. Nobody could actually find good points from the first episode's plot, because it was dull, and rather bad. The first mystery's resolution was ridiculously trivial, which could have been a good thing, but wasn't after the tension and dimension they built, ending up falling terribly flat. The third one was a totally predictable mystery because of the excessively simple reasoning that most people with some experience with the mystery genre could come up with. Nonetheless, the second one was innovative inasmuch as the protagonist was behind it; which made the triviality actually meaningful and surprising.
lpfApr 23, 2012 12:45 AM

Apr 23, 2012 12:36 AM
Mar 2008
Boring.As.Hell.
Just like I was expecting.
And the fanboys will hype this crap just because it's KyoAni and it has a moe girl.
Apr 23, 2012 12:38 AM

Jul 2010
Well.... the animation is nice, but that was it for me. Sure maybe the show has some original ideas later on, but I'm tired of japan recycling such overused premises. That said, it usually the damn Japanese consumer that keeps on supporting things like cliub anime and etc... It's going to be hard to gather motivation to watch the next episode, but I'll try.
Apr 23, 2012 12:43 AM

Feb 2012
Oh Don't you guys be afraid this is KyoAni I am suure they will have the bestmystery show evaaar!!!
Apr 23, 2012 1:20 AM

Sep 2010
Episode is just Meh!

All mysteries looked pretty dumb and plot is not very interesting but at-least characters seemed to be interesting....

But damn those visual feast.... Top notch Art direction and Animation quality.....

4/5 (was going to rate 3/5 but +1 for animation quality)
Apr 23, 2012 1:22 AM

Nov 2006
draker said:
Boring.As.Hell.
And the fanboys will hype this crap just because it's KyoAni and it has a moe girl.
Your post + your sig = lol
Apr 23, 2012 2:18 AM

Oct 2011
Great characters, and as everyone is saying, great animation!

5/5 9/10
Apr 23, 2012 2:26 AM

Oct 2010
So I am going to assume Tomoe going here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benaras
was for interest in the Holy City itself? Sounds plausible and wow it looks nice to go see from wiki's description.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 23, 2012 2:37 AM

Feb 2011
It's kinda good, but at the same time, I feel like this getting nowhere... I'll give it some more eps before judging.
Apr 23, 2012 2:57 AM

Aug 2009
great animation.... but I don't think KyoAni realizes that the school isn't the only fucking setting that an anime can take place...

The mystery seems kind of interesting the main char reminds me too much of Kyon from Haruhi and the Chitanda is such a dumbass... the two guys are just explaining shit to her and shes like "mmm k" *moe face*. The char designs are generic as fuck and I swear Ive literally seen chars hat look exactly the same as them, even the uniforms as boring and generic. The only saving grace of the anime is the animation and the the main chars weird hallucination things.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 23, 2012 3:01 AM

Mar 2011
Lot of people saying this episode is boring. It's not wrong but at least think clearly, It's just the first episode, the MCs haven't been completely introduced and this kind of anime needs time to develop.
Apr 23, 2012 3:45 AM
Aug 2011
"I salute those devoted to expanding energy in their daily lives"
I couldn't agree more.

Also...
I salute those devoted to using that much of their brain power... Its just as tiring
Apr 23, 2012 3:47 AM

Dec 2009
aah KyoAni <3

It's nice to see that Tomoya and Sunohara have found each other again xD
The OP is beautiful.

A real treat to the eyes because of the beautiful animation and art.

This was certainly fun.

4/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Sir_LexaApr 23, 2012 3:51 AM
Apr 23, 2012 3:58 AM

Jun 2011
Nice episode, animation is excellent . I wonder how it will turn out ^_^ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2012 4:06 AM

Apr 2011
Episode was hella pretty. I'm liking the main dudes personality / motto. Pretty different to what I'm used to seeing. :3

Long haired girl = cute. THOSE EYES OMG.
Apr 23, 2012 4:36 AM

Apr 2009
Great animation, Cute girl, aside from that nothing new, nothing special.

tries to be uniqe (i think?) but fails, you might think its wrong to judge 1 episode, but no its not, even if it develops later on the stereotypes and generic shit are already there, its like im the watching the same thing over and over again with these high school series lately.

i dont even understand why kyoani animates this, its just another school setting that tries to be unique with some mystery thrown in and could never succeed without cute characters and high quality animation.

people that truly like this either havent seen enough or are under 18 years old..
Apr 23, 2012 4:39 AM
Mar 2008
windy said:
draker said:
Boring.As.Hell.
Your post + your sig = lol

Seriously?
Apr 23, 2012 5:06 AM

Oct 2011
This is pretty and all but I'm just not finding it that interesting.
nozomisasaki said:

people that truly like this either havent seen enough or are under 18 years old..

Ain't that insulting.
St-HubertApr 23, 2012 5:10 AM
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.