Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 20, 2012 7:17 PM
Dec 2011
I am concerned that this anime might not be that much interesting if it keeps closely to the game, since I already know the whole story.

Anyone played the game and watched the anime that could say a few words on this?
Jul 31, 2012 11:26 PM

Jan 2012
^

I haven't played the game nor have seen the anime... which do you guys think is a better approach? Game or anime first?

I don't want to have to miss out on a great anime simply because I played the game first and vice-versa. A prime example is Valkyria Chronicles: no interest in anime after playing the game.
Aug 3, 2012 4:22 PM

May 2009
^Game is way better.

I don't think it's worth watching P4Animation if you've already played the game, unless you're one of those crazy fanboys.
Aug 3, 2012 4:38 PM
Dec 2007
Miya_F_Exia said:
^Game is way better.

I don't think it's worth watching P4Animation if you've already played the game, unless you're one of those crazy fanboys.
Sadly I agree. It's fine if you want to waste some time though.

Aug 3, 2012 4:44 PM

Jun 2009
Actually, I found the dialogue quite good and some scenes were hilarious and I played the game. There are times in the game, like leveling social links, when I wonder what it must look like to the other characters, and the anime highlighted those moments a little. It is a good watch, although the story is predicable sense you know it..

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 4, 2012 7:33 PM

Oct 2011
I actually watched the first few episodes without game experience, then as my interest grew, I finally managed to get a PCSX version of the game and played it to the end before the anime finished.

If you remember a lot of the game's details, you will notice the changes they made quickly, but all in all, they didn't change the story or the enjoyable moments.

Things to notice/expect:

-They somewhat condense the events of what would be considered the first few hours of gameplay into the first episode. Chie, Yosuke and the protagonist (named Yuu Narukami), enter the TV world and are soon attacked by shadows (instead of Yosuke and protag's 2nd trip) and appropriately, the protag summons Izanagi right away, saves the day, and they exit the TV. They DO, however, spend the next episode fighting Yosuke's shadow.

-The characters themselves don't fight like they do in the game. That's right, you won't see the protag with a sword, Kanji with a folding chair, etc. Their personas, instead, act like an action anime's summoned familiars. Just think pokemon without the pokeballs.

-Don't think too hard about the personas the protag uses. For whatever reason, the protag will whip out a persona that he could never get at that point in the game. (Nothing crazy, you might just furl your brow once you see it).

-Commercial breaks show the protags' stat pentagon and it does update appropriately with every episode.

-Every social link in the game is covered in the show.

-Igor and Margret give updates of the protag's social link status at the beginning of each episode.

-Teddie's costume mouth moves when he talks (or at least in the game, his mouth only seemed to moved for the still reaction sprites during dialogue while even in the animated cut scenes his mouth was still).

-The show concludes with the Good ending. Apparently the True ending will be with the blu ray or dvd.

-Some episodes will seem slower than other simply because it is "filler" from the game's story (school camping trip, golden week, school culture festival, etc.) Only a cute pair of episodes featuring Nanako were new material added to the anime, but their underlying content was still pretty canon.

Conclusion: The anime was worth seeing just to see how they adapted it.

I actually wouldn't recommend this anime to someone that hasn't played at least a few hours of the game. They wouldn't get some of the more subtle but hilarious humor and small details.
RainecAug 4, 2012 7:40 PM
Aug 5, 2012 2:47 PM

Jan 2012
Thanks for the replies.

So, the anime is pretty mediocre whether you've played the game before or not?

Guess I'll do both: play the game and watch the anime at a same pace. :D
Aug 5, 2012 9:12 PM
Dec 2007
flaxman85 said:
Thanks for the replies.

It's not exactly the worst thing in existence but there's better things to see. That said it's not a complete waste of time so if you have the spare time you can see it and possibly like it. It's just not something super awesome and it condenses a lot of the story. I think it might have been better trying to eliminate some of the fluff or "filler" the game itself had and instead concentrate on getting the main story across.It had a bad tendency to jump around too much and some scenes wouldn't transition too well from one another.

Aug 5, 2012 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
flaxman85 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Mediocre your ass!
Aug 7, 2012 4:54 PM
Jul 2012
After I watch P4, it will be time for me to go weep and mourn over the death of my Female MC in P3P ToT
Also, before I do watch, one question: do any characters from the first Shin Megami tensei appear, besides izanami? And doesn't Mitsuru-sama make an appearance in Persona 4? how about Akihiko-senpai? Neither?
Thanks in advance.
Aug 7, 2012 6:04 PM
Dec 2007
yandereYasu said:
After I watch P4, it will be time for me to go weep and mourn over the death of my Female MC in P3P ToT
Also, before I do watch, one question: do any characters from the first Shin Megami tensei appear, besides izanami? And doesn't Mitsuru-sama make an appearance in Persona 4? how about Akihiko-senpai? Neither?
Thanks in advance.
Persona is a stand-alone series that only bears the Shin Megami Tensei logo as a "brand". It's not really "connected" to the rest, just to the other Persona games. Akihiko, Mitsuru and Aigis show up in Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena aka Persona 4 Arena, which is a fighting game and sequel to Persona 4 developed jointly between Atlus and Blazblue's developer Arc System Works (Atlus only did the story and music if I recall correctly).

Also, Izanami is not at all similar to how they use her in the regular Megami Tensei series.

Aug 8, 2012 1:00 PM
Jul 2012
Leon-Gun said:
yandereYasu said:
Thanks in advance.
Persona is a stand-alone series that only bears the Shin Megami Tensei logo as a "brand". It's not really "connected" to the rest, just to the other Persona games. Akihiko, Mitsuru and Aigis show up in Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena aka Persona 4 Arena, which is a fighting game and sequel to Persona 4 developed jointly between Atlus and Blazblue's developer Arc System Works (Atlus only did the story and music if I recall correctly).

Also, Izanami is not at all similar to how they use her in the regular Megami Tensei series.

mkai, gotcha. is it still worth watching then?
Aug 9, 2012 4:41 AM
Dec 2007
They pretty much glossed over Izanami in the main series (they apparently will cover her in the OVA). It's an ok watch for fans who don't obsess over changes or such but it doesn't do a lot of hand-holding and in fact it can jump around too much for someone who doesn't have a good idea how the persona series works. I recommend if you're a fan who aren't uptight. And really, that's about it, it's just average.

Jun 30, 2021 12:24 PM
Dec 2017
yeah for the entertainment value.

Aug 27, 2023 9:51 PM

Aug 2017
saldu said:
I am concerned that this anime might not be that much interesting if it keeps closely to the game, since I already know the whole story.

Anyone played the game and watched the anime that could say a few words on this?

Yeah, I played the game a month ago and liked the show very much. It's nice seeing everything animated and voiced with the music. There's some new stuff too. It's a great show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.