Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 19, 2016 6:43 AM

Apr 2015
NavyCherub said:
I was really mad that he didn't retire. Sort of ruined the emotion of the rest of the episode.

First i felt the same,but then again,I would've missed him,he's one of the best characters I've ever seen in an anime,so yeah,I'm glad he's back.
"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."
Jan 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2011
Such a good fight. Maybe my second favourite fight (after the rematch between Sendo and Ippo). This movie did Kimura right. He deserves so much more, but this is the only time the mangaka shone light on how much of a good boxer he actually is.The rest of the time he's just used as a butt monkey/comedic relief.

Another thing I hate is that Kimura actually had to come up with a K.O. punch himself, while Ippo always gets them gift-wrapped by the coach. Can't he afford to give his other boxers a bit more attention?
May 12, 2017 12:42 AM

May 2016
That bastard sure made me worry about him damn it.

anyway it was a splendid match to be honest but it seems Mashiba's will to win was super strong after all, I was so nervous during the fight my hands sweated af.

After all it was a great movie 8/10
Jun 6, 2017 7:52 AM

Mar 2013
Ippo's movie was meh. I prefer this over that any day :')

Kimura's match with Mashiba was intense.
And damn, he was cool in the ring~
He is one of my favorite character so I got all excited when I saw an anime title with his name in it. So kinda disappointed he didn't win :(
Hope I see him as the champion someday in the future :)

9/10
FinalFlash18Jun 6, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 18, 2017 8:46 PM

Feb 2016
Dicklesworth said:
Damn, any time Mashiba fights we get some of the best anime fights in history.

It's funny how any time a serious fight happens that doesn't involve Ippo it's always godly amazing. Miyata's fight against Mashiba, and this were both the best fights in the series by far. Ippo's fights just get repetitive after a while.

All the shit with Kimura's dad and his situation as a whole was really well done, although I'm not sure how I feel about him not retiring. On the one hand I love the guy and obviously want to keep watching him in the series, but it also kind of took away the emotional impact. Also, that goofy shit at the end completely ruined a lot of Kimura's character development as a whole. I mean, i knew he wouldn't stay retired, and the gym goofiness is the charm of the show, but that happened way too fucking quickly.

All in all though, it was still probably the highest point of the series for me

Now we just need Aoki and Takamura to get a serious, 30+ minute long fight.

+1 I couldn't say it better
Aug 4, 2017 3:45 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Hajime never disappoints, while it may not have been the best of the fights of the series, it always has that required quality and enjoyability that makes it always a pleasure to watch one more "chapter" from this series.

I would reccomend people to take their time though, since I have found to enjoy the fights the best, IF I dont marathon everything at once.
Dec 15, 2017 6:27 PM

Jun 2015
Manly tears. This OVA was very emotional with Kimura's retirement in the background and all the tension for his first champion matchup building up. I found it weird that coach Kamogawa wasn't there to guide him and find a good strategy for Kimura, he got to do it all by himself. Well, maybe they agreed that practising with Miyata for 2 weeks was a good plan for his fight against Mashiba. Although it actually looks that Shinobi, the 3rd coach is his and Aoki's trainer.
Another thing that's quite surprising is that he was kind of scared, Ippo actually beat Mashiba when he was pretty much only a begginer but he was already an experienced boxer. His record is quite good, although he hasn't had too many fights for being fighting for 5 years (16 fights in total before this one).
And Miyata being more strong than Kimura? Or wasn't he taking it really serious? I don't think Ippo's on his level or Aoki's. Sometimes the levels btwn weights makes me wondering. I would like to see a scale rank of power btwn all of them as of right now.

This fight was so intense, I was pretty sure Mashiba was going to win but made me have a second thought when Kimura connected his first punch and got his rhythm. But at the end it surprised me he finally lost, it could have went either way, but Mashiba's long arms and range was decisive.
I'm really glad Kimura decided to give himself a second chance, he was so close to getting the belt, he's improved and grown as a boxer and as a person so that's the best decision he could choose and I can relate and understand his choice. He has not so much apart from boxing.
Props to him, he's really grown on me. He will come back stronger and I'm sure he will get the belt next time he's fighting for the title. If he loses a title fight again in the future then I'm betting that this will be the time when he will definitely retire and work in his family bussiness.
MMiyamotoDec 15, 2017 6:33 PM
Feb 4, 2018 10:59 PM

Jul 2016
Holy fucking shit!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Words can not describe how hype that fight was!!!!!! Not going to lie, but Kimura was one of my favorites in all of Ippo right from the get go. It is kinda sad to see that he is the least popular for the main characters!

But he deserved this Title Match. Unlike Champion's Road, the stakes felt much higher. Cuz I mean of course Ippo won't lose his first defending title. But honestly I didn't know who was going to win right up till the end.

Thus sad, I was heartbroken to hear Kimura's upbringing and honestly... the feels in this were unmatched. Kimura's interactions with Miyata, Aoki and Mashiba was great! And it is what made the OVA. Why de helllll is the score for this so low on mal?????

EASILY A 10/10. Hope Kimura and Aoki get more time to shine in the new challenger. And can't wait to see the new cast addition ;)

P.S. Glad my boy did not retire
Mar 13, 2018 8:13 PM

Jan 2018
It was very good special. No sh*t i almost cryed at the edn of the fight and i dont get to that by 95 of the animes i watch, inclouding the original hajime no ippo from 2000. I realy liked it and i think in a way it has the thing that the original didnt have. I cant belive that i was more moved from a suporting character that the main. Especialy from Kimura xD but in that special he was presented very....how to put it ...... human. And i realy love that kind of presentation. It has 8.7 from me.
Mar 13, 2018 8:18 PM

Jan 2018
MajorsMaskLink said:
Holy fucking shit!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Words can not describe how hype that fight was!!!!!! Not going to lie, but Kimura was one of my favorites in all of Ippo right from the get go. It is kinda sad to see that he is the least popular for the main characters!

But he deserved this Title Match. Unlike Champion's Road, the stakes felt much higher. Cuz I mean of course Ippo won't lose his first defending title. But honestly I didn't know who was going to win right up till the end.

Thus sad, I was heartbroken to hear Kimura's upbringing and honestly... the feels in this were unmatched. Kimura's interactions with Miyata, Aoki and Mashiba was great! And it is what made the OVA. Why de helllll is the score for this so low on mal?????

EASILY A 10/10. Hope Kimura and Aoki get more time to shine in the new challenger. And can't wait to see the new cast addition ;)

P.S. Glad my boy did not retire

100% agree whit you. The stakes realy felt much higher and i didnt know who will win until the end.
May 9, 2018 2:10 AM

Jun 2015
One of the best fights of the series, it was emotional, dramatic, and really refreshing, since we are not commonly inside Kimura's perspective, I loved the way they made his relationship with lots of his friends and family, it's almost like there's something to tell about everyone: He is now really inspired by Ippo, his mutual compromise with Aoki is awesome, he lost respect for his father in his childhood, and all of that is treated perfectly, great ova, a little better and focused than Champion Road.
Aug 16, 2018 3:57 AM

Mar 2017
I really liked this OVA! I am slightly pissed at the fake drama with Kimura's retirement, but at the same time it was very effective and made me root for him even harder! He would have deserved to win, but at the same time, Mashiba also deserved the win. He's just that good.

I found it a bit strange that Miyata was the personal trainer for this fight... this dude LOST to Mashiba! Don't learn from him!
Nov 23, 2018 3:59 AM

Oct 2012
Usually Kimura got like less than 30 secs fight.. but now full 1 hour with the buildup?
For the first time I don't know who's going to win
That "I have to learn flower's names too" kinda give it away

Kimura, noo :(
Nvm.. What's all of my tears for?
I guess to make it more "dangerous"
"Signature removed"
Jan 30, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2015
This was so intense and didn't expect the outcome to be Mashiba. I really really was disappointed that it wasn't Kimura.

The fight was so realistic that I forgot it was fictional, the outcome became almost realistic like it was live. Kimura deserved that fight, but when he started to shout out the belt I became unsure if they would make him win. I'm glad he didn't retire but I'm still disappointed by the outcome considering how hard he worked towards the fight. I didn't even laughed at their theatrics at the end, considering how sad I was.

7/10 for him losing basically, although it was way more enjoyable than that.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 11, 2019 8:10 AM

Aug 2013
This was an awesome fight. It's a shame Kimura didn't win, thought Mashiba is a taught opponent.

9/10.

Jun 16, 2019 4:01 PM

Jul 2015
For a special about a sidecharacter who always appeared to be somewhat weak, this was really interesting to see. At the start of the special I didn't think Kimura would win against that monster Mashiba, but somewhere around the middle of the fight Kimura really suprised me with how he holded his own against Mashiba. To think he could have won if only not for Mashiba being taller. If not for those 3 centimeters differencel, Kimura could have smacked the shit out of Mashiba and gained the title of Junior Lightweight Champion after 5 years of struggling.

Pretty good special, in my opinion better than the Champion Road movie.

Feb 4, 2020 1:39 PM

Apr 2016
This was great, I’m very attached to all the main characters, so I'm very happy Kimura don't leave boxe.
Mar 5, 2020 8:30 AM

May 2015
way better fight than most of ippo fights.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 15, 2020 11:51 AM

May 2016
Since Kimura and Aoki are always used for comic relief, I usually underestimate them at times especially when I compare them to the likes of Ippo and Takamura who are both complete powerhouses but every single one of the Kamogawa Big Four are great in their own right. It was awesome seeing Kimura show what he's truly capable of along with a deeper look at his character.

I really wanted Kimura to win since he had his career on the line and tried so hard to prepare for what was almost his last fight ever so seeing him lose at the very last second was a shock and I couldn't help but feel so emotional when he cried in frustration as one of my favorite bittersweet songs in anime played. He fought so well that everyone wanted him to continue as a boxer and even gave Mashiba the biggest scare in his entire life to the point that he openly acknowledged him as his best challenger so it's safe to say that this thrilling match was a big high point in his career! I'm also really glad that he didn't retire for long~

Jun 17, 2020 11:03 AM

Jun 2020
Totally incredible !!!, one of the best fights so far.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
Jun 17, 2020 11:03 AM

Jun 2020
Totally incredible !!!, one of the best fights so far.
Sometimes otakus are rejected by society, so I discovered that it is much better to be an
otaku in secret.
Jul 6, 2020 1:38 AM

Nov 2011
Really good fight, but lost a bit of emotional impact at the end when he went back on the retirement.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 24, 2020 11:42 AM

Feb 2019
Best OVA I had ever watched the fight was hella dope I couldn't control my emotions after seeing Kimura lost the match that guy deserves this moment wish Aoki too get his moment... I wanted Kimura to win dammit.
Nov 13, 2020 10:20 AM

Mar 2018
Probably the best part of the series, amazing fight.
Nov 29, 2020 2:52 AM

Aug 2015
It had been a while since I last saw this episode, but I guess it was really Kimura's best moment.

The songs and OSTs are amazing, that's what I always miss when I read the manga ;)
Jan 5, 2021 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
This will always be Kimura's best fight and damn how was I hoping for him to take the W. Nonetheless very significant development that can't be taken away.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2021 5:54 PM

Feb 2014
one of the best fights of hajime no ippo! defo kimura's best that i've seen! sooo good, what a fight, come on kimura!! glad that he'll keep fighting and continue w boxing! that was actually so fucking epic, that first time he knocked down mashiba was sooo dopeee!!!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Aug 3, 2021 8:55 PM

Dec 2019
Personally that would of been a 10/10 if Kimura really did quit cause at the end thought he was really gonna quit and it was really sad but that just ruined the moment for me and wasn't really sad anymore. Still a 9/10 tho
Oct 30, 2021 5:34 PM

Dec 2007
it was really great movie/ova/special whatever, really great fight, my only problem with it is the fact that it seems madhouse didn't invested in it very much, the animation and the OST was pretty plain and average compare to the first series animation. the only thing saved the production level was kimura's sayu, when he were thinking about his retirement at the end, that was really tearful sayu act.

it was vert classic to see mashiba struggling, been lot of time from ippo vs mashiba.

i LOLed very much on the end, debuting with "new" name xDD

was really stupid "development" or whatever for kumi and ippo so she would "break up" with him like this...
Oct 1, 2022 8:02 AM
Aug 2015
allah gibi bölüm eyww
Jan 9, 2023 10:18 PM

Apr 2022
he may have lost but put some respect on kimura's name, he's always been one of my faves and i was sad that he's actually retiring but glad he's back.
the story was the best part.
Mar 13, 2023 4:14 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
I’m so glad he decided not to quit after all!
Jun 5, 2023 6:18 AM

Jul 2021
so happy that kimura didn't reitre. the whole series wouldn't feel the same if he was gone. i hope he wins his title match.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 16, 2023 1:13 AM
Jun 2022
Fighting Spirit matters more than power in a fight
Aug 22, 2023 5:08 PM
Apr 2020
Good Soup.......
Dec 11, 2023 5:07 AM

Sep 2022
I was so disappointed that he missed by the 3cm, How the plot lets a spineless worm like Mashiba to win against Kimura and Miyata. I can't believe it, he shouldn't be on the victory side. I'm so pissed just thinking about it.
When Kimura regained his consciousness he punch reached Aoki, Hard Anime scene, I cried, literally.
BIG RESPECT FOR OUR KIMURA !!! MAN AMONGS THE MAN !!!
Dec 24, 2023 5:19 AM

Dec 2010
Probably the most contested match next to Ippo vs Date, I couldn't say who was going to win until the referee's decision (he did great job by the way). I'm just glad that Kimura didn't retire. I get that 5 years is a long time in the competitive scene, but what about love for boxing? Well, maybe it isn't as easy to do only for enjoyment, unlike other sports, but it's still a pretty good reason - I'm actually not sure how I would fill the void if I quit my own thing.

Even when it comes to challenging the title, there should still be a chance for Kimura, considering how much he improved in just a month. Take in mind that Kimura is the only one in Top 3 who had the guts to face Mashiba even scaring him by the end of the fight. This is bound to pay off in the long run.

Last but not least, with some more time in the ring and the gym, I think that Kimura would probably make a good coach.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.