Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 9, 2012 3:58 PM
Jan 2009
thinks that this anime didn't really capture the game's "feel"? The game was WAY more stylish, serious and realistic (realistic as in the character interactions, not the bizarre setting and events)..
This feels more like a comedy.. I mean, I won't drop it, since I love seeing cool scenes from the game animated but still.. It's pure fanservice for the game's fans, as a stand-alone this would be pretty damn bad.
Mar 9, 2012 4:28 PM

Apr 2010
RyuRobin said:
thinks that this anime didn't really capture the game's "feel"? The game was WAY more stylish, serious and realistic (realistic as in the character interactions, not the bizarre setting and events)..
This feels more like a comedy.. I mean, I won't drop it, since I love seeing cool scenes from the game animated but still.. It's pure fanservice for the game's fans, as a stand-alone this would be pretty damn bad.

I'm enjoing this adaptation, but I still suggest to anyone who liked Persona 4 Animation to play the game and it's 50+ hours. It's one of my favourite rpgs.

I agree that there is a lot of fanservice for game's fans, things that make no sense for who has not played it.
Mar 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Jan 2011
The adaption is fine to me. I can't imagine it being any better.

I pick up on things that you would only understand if you played the game. Like the reason he can summon a certain persona was becuase he bonded with somebody of that arcana outside the TV. Like recently he summoned that huge dragon becuase he maxed out Doujima's social link by promising to protect Nanako.
[center]
Mar 9, 2012 7:59 PM
Dec 2007
VioLink said:
The adaption is fine to me. I can't imagine it being any better.

I pick up on things that you would only understand if you played the game. Like the reason he can summon a certain persona was becuase he bonded with somebody of that arcana outside the TV. Like recently he summoned that huge dragon becuase he maxed out Doujima's social link by promising to protect Nanako.
Yeah, it's just kinda hard to explain it properly in a visual medium. That said, listening to the monologues of Margaret is supposed to be the viewers hint that your connection with said person in the last chapter increased your Persona abilities. The Persona Fusions were kinda harder to grasp merely because it's completely game-related although story-wise you're supposed to think he's basically using the power of several Persona's to summon a more powerful one.

Mar 9, 2012 8:11 PM

Apr 2010
The only bad things about this adaptation :
Pacing
Animation

The animation is really bad, but that's not surprising coming from AIC. And the pacing is weird. A good example is in EP22 where they notice the fog and then speaking about it 7 days (or so) later...
Mar 10, 2012 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
I'll obviously play the game after this ends :)
Mar 10, 2012 3:53 AM

Oct 2009
I'm not enjoying this show as much as I thought I would, I was really excited about it considering I'm a big fan of the game but I suppose I could say I'm a little let down by it.

However, it's still entertaining me.
Mar 10, 2012 4:20 AM

May 2010
yes, it's not a good stand-alone, but as someone who enjoyed the game i laugh so much when tanaka appears... and i also laughed at all terrible choice of words narukami said. seeing all scenes in animation is exciting. of course it's pure fanservice... i also agree that the show feels more like comedy. i like this kind of fanservice, though. it makes the show enjoyable no matter how bad the pace and animation was.
Mar 10, 2012 11:02 AM

May 2008
Pacing is weird as hell. That's my only issue.
Mar 10, 2012 11:07 AM

Jun 2009
I agree the pacing is super weird. However, I love it. The comedy is top notch however I only think so because I know the story. It makes me wish they would make an anime for P3, however I would watch it to be darker and edgier.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Mar 10, 2012 11:38 AM
Dec 2007
The funny part is that I think they also took several days "in-game" to actually comment on the fog in the game itself. As a player you first hear the "rumors" of something odd about the fog from random NPC's, then you get the fishwives rumors cutscene and THEN the characters discuss the fog. So if anything, it's just the pacing of the game that's been followed too closely.

Players ussually don't notice this because most of those in-game days will be filled wrapping up Social Links and other assorted side-missions.

Also, in the anime it's quite downplayed but in the game one of the mysterious elements is how the fog in Inaba had been strange. You learn that the Fog dissapears from the TV world whenever it gets foggy in Inaba and that in those days if someone is trapped in the TV world they will get murdered by Shadows and appear in Inaba when the fog clears up. So obviously the characters wouldn't be "too" surprised about it being foggy for several days. It's only when the fog is still there a week later (and that they start hearing the rumors of people falling ill) that the main characters start getting suspicious. Just chalk it up to plot elements that the anime glossed over at the start.
Leon-GunMar 10, 2012 2:26 PM

Mar 10, 2012 12:49 PM

May 2009
A little fast paced but other than that it's really good :o
Mar 11, 2012 9:17 AM

Mar 2009
I'll agree with the others, P4A's animation and pacing are really off. They're condensing a lot of story into so few episodes. That said, as a fan of the game I'm finding I really like this adaptation a lot. Sure it isn't as stylish or cool as the game but I'm not sure how they'd get those RPG elements across in a purely visual medium. This anime works really well as a quirky comedy with supernatural elements thrown in from time to time. The dungeon crawls and boss battles (some episodes are really cool exceptions) are "meh" for me most of the time. Although it is pretty cool to see some of my favorite personae/demons animated.

Judging from fans of the show who haven't played the game the show seems to stand okay on its own. Not great, just okay. The show itself is mostly faithful to the original game and has a lot of shout-outs to fans of the game and other Megaten games.

In short, Persona 4 A has a lot more going for it than most anime adaptions of video games.
Mar 11, 2012 1:08 PM
Dec 2007
They are Personae in terms of the Persona universe (facades of a person's psyche with which they face the world). It's in the other MegaTen series that they are demons, although they use a lot of the same mythological and religious creatures for both Personae in Persona and demons in MegaTen.

Mar 11, 2012 5:22 PM

May 2009
The pacing is crazy. Also, I do feel that the comedy has been too much, since I liked how P4 was able to balance comedy and suspense quite well. For me, this works more as fanservice for those who like the game. But since I don't really agree with fanservice and I think about this as a standalone project, it is definitely lacking.

Not to mention my favorite character lost half of his importance.
Mar 11, 2012 9:17 PM

Jul 2009
silver_huskey said:
In short, Persona 4 A has a lot more going for it than most anime adaptions of video games.

true, while it certainly isn't the perfect adaption that caters to both fans and newcomers alike, at least it didn't piss off the fans of the original game that much.

In hindsight 26 episodes might not be enough, but squeezing for more tv slots is probably asking too much considering they had been doing an adequate job translate the story to the anime medium.

It's obvious that this anime series is made by the fans for the fans, and not just another commercial rip-off
Mar 13, 2012 9:17 PM

May 2010
Perhaps I'm too optimistic but I really don't see a big problem with the anime, as everyone said - the pacing is what mostly left a bad taste in people's mouths, along with the animation - I can look past on the art though, doesn't annoy me like it does for everyone else... Also agreeing with Silvery_huskey - it's one of the better adaptions of a video game. People should just take it for what it is, and enjoy the comedy, that can be enjoyed by non-game players too.

I always thought Persona 3 was more realistic with character interactions, Persona 4 seems awkward when handling bad events, they would always immediately change into a happy tune after finishing discussing serious business or w/e with eachother. Which was odd to me, so I believe the "realism" is the same as in-game. To each their own I guess.

Miya_F_Exia said:

Well tbh, it was coming since they were actually gonna give MC a voice and let him have his own opinions. Yosuke was kinda the leader in the game due to MC not having a say in anything, so yeah.. It was to be expected, my only real problem with what they did with Yosuke is that they made him seem not important during battles, him and Jiraiya/Susan-O were always on my team for being so useful, yet the only episode they were important in the anime was, the save of Chie and Yukiko..

It's really annoying how they kinda made him into another Teddie, meaning - only really there for shits and giggles... Oh and him constantly getting stepped on by everyone(Chie/Yukiko) is annoying aswell..
Mar 14, 2012 4:58 AM
Dec 2007
RealScreamer said:
Perhaps I'm too optimistic but I really don't see a big problem with the anime, as everyone said - the pacing is what mostly left a bad taste in people's mouths, along with the animation - I can look past on the art though, doesn't annoy me like it does for everyone else... Also agreeing with Silvery_huskey - it's one of the better adaptions of a video game. People should just take it for what it is, and enjoy the comedy, that can be enjoyed by non-game players too.

I always thought Persona 3 was more realistic with character interactions, Persona 4 seems awkward when handling bad events, they would always immediately change into a happy tune after finishing discussing serious business or w/e with eachother. Which was odd to me, so I believe the "realism" is the same as in-game. To each their own I guess.

Miya_F_Exia said:

Well tbh, it was coming since they were actually gonna give MC a voice and let him have his own opinions. Yosuke was kinda the leader in the game due to MC not having a say in anything, so yeah.. It was to be expected, my only real problem with what they did with Yosuke is that they made him seem not important during battles, him and Jiraiya/Susan-O were always on my team for being so useful, yet the only episode they were important in the anime was, the save of Chie and Yukiko..

It's really annoying how they kinda made him into another Teddie, meaning - only really there for shits and giggles... Oh and him constantly getting stepped on by everyone(Chie/Yukiko) is annoying aswell..
Except for the fact he is, more or less the sidekick character, and he is used a lot for "shits and giggles" even in the game.Most of the more "important" or "serious" linees he gets in the game are more or less just proxy answers that the MC should have delivered, as you said. If you take them away then Yousuke is just comic relief more than half the time (the other half is when he's being Brosuke aka Cool Sidekick).

Mar 14, 2012 7:53 AM

Apr 2010
Leon-Gun said:
The funny part is that I think they also took several days "in-game" to actually comment on the fog in the game itself. As a player you first hear the "rumors" of something odd about the fog from random NPC's, then you get the fishwives rumors cutscene and THEN the characters discuss the fog. So if anything, it's just the pacing of the game that's been followed too closely.

Players ussually don't notice this because most of those in-game days will be filled wrapping up Social Links and other assorted side-missions.

Also, in the anime it's quite downplayed but in the game one of the mysterious elements is how the fog in Inaba had been strange. You learn that the Fog dissapears from the TV world whenever it gets foggy in Inaba and that in those days if someone is trapped in the TV world they will get murdered by Shadows and appear in Inaba when the fog clears up. So obviously the characters wouldn't be "too" surprised about it being foggy for several days. It's only when the fog is still there a week later (and that they start hearing the rumors of people falling ill) that the main characters start getting suspicious. Just chalk it up to plot elements that the anime glossed over at the start.

Ah, really? I haven't fully played the game honestly... Only got to Kanji's dungeon.
Mar 14, 2012 8:31 AM

May 2009
@to both RealScreamer and Leon-Gun

True, I knew that would happen (odd, I thought I mentioned this in here, maybe it was in another post or even in another forum). But the thing is, they didn't care about trying to balance this. They could have made Yosuke less of the leader he was in the game, but still have him have some of those characteristics. After all, much of Yosuke's role in the game was to try to put the pieces of the mystery together and develop theories as to what is exactly happening, and I don't see that necessarily as proxy answers. Also, if ATLUS decided to make Yosuke be the sidekick character just because MC can't talk, it is still one of his traits; you can't simply erase all of this from him, you're basically killing him as character. Why not try to maintain part of his "proxy answers" then? However, what I see in the tv series is that they try to shove everything onto the MC while removing every importance Yosuke once had. Also, add to the fact that the Yosuke from the tv series is a very ludicrous one; they took his "comic relief" side and exaggerated it so much that it made him seem even unnatural. Then again, RealScreamer already mentioned that Yosuke has become completely USELESS in the battles. Ok, we can say that the MC almost always is the one that fights the most in the tv series, but Yosuke has been below everyone else. This, I consider to be pathetic, to say the least.

Yosuke once mentioned in his SL that he didn't even know that he could become this serious about something. This has vanished from the tv series. What I see is a random comic relief that gets beaten up all the time because his only purpose is to be ridiculous and act as yaoi fuel.

The only good think I can think of Yosuke in the tv series is that at least he resembles his game self, unlike Welkin from Valkyria Chronicles, which is one of my favorite characters from games and was destroyed in that dreadful thing they say it's the adaptation of Valkyria Chronicles.
Mar 14, 2012 3:16 PM
Dec 2007
^I actually agree with you. They could have developed him as the trusty best friend/cool sidekick type. In fact, even if he acts as proxy a lot it IS yousuke that prods Yuu into investigating the TV World due to his attachment to Konishi Saki. They could have easily done well-made dialogues of Yousuke and Yuu making sense of the mystery. Making his Persona into a joke was also unnecesary. In-game his Persona is actually almost essential if you want a well-balanced group.

Mar 14, 2012 4:13 PM

May 2010
That's pretty much what I meant with Yosuke. He's only being provided as a character for shits and giggles when he's done much more than that in the game - he's the one who pretty much gives the gang something to go on in every meeting, not just a character to make fun and poke at. So I agree fully on him keeping some of the characteristics from the game.

Some character development has been a miss for the show, we got to see only Narukami truly develop, which sucks since Yosuke's change was one of my favorites.. Perhaps his Social Link "maxed out" episode will make him seem a bit better, I doubt it though..

Leon-Gun said:
Making his Persona into a joke was also unnecesary. In-game his Persona is actually almost essential if you want a well-balanced group.

This is exactly what I meant aswell, it's terrible how they made Jiraiya seem so useless. Perhaps - If they decide to "upgrade" his persona things could change.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.