Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2012 3:46 PM

Aug 2010
Okay I understand that this is really just me, but I don't understand why is the MAL cumulative score for this anime is slowly dropping. This anime is incredibly unique and the elements, such as the drama and psychological factors, make this anime one of the best I've seen. I understand the ending isn't what people desired to see, and something more satisfying like they all get to live happily ever after or some Disney ending like that, but there's just a lot of reasoning and meaning behind the endings.

Throughout the entire series, there are a lot of symbols and allusions that can be pointed out. Of course, a good amount of analyzing needs to be done. Compared to all the analysis I've seen by people so far when this series was airing, it was as much analyzing as Steins;Gate.

This is really just a rant topic I'm making, but I want to understand why else the score is just dropping.
Feb 26, 2012 8:11 PM
Sep 2011
I've been visiting this page at least few times a week even after it ended and I also notice the score's slowly dropping. I think it's still an OK and fitting score, as many 8.5+ rated shows are overrated IMO.

This show is clearly not for everyone and not very viewer-friendly compare to other recent shows, but people who give this a score less than 7 or maybe 6 really can't appreciate anything out of ordinary. I really hope to be able to see more new anime like this as we got mostly adaption or "original" anime with hardly and originality.

I still looking forward for more stuffs come out from Penguindrum after the last novel come out in next two days and more stuff from people who worked on it like Ikuhara and the seiyuu cast.
Feb 27, 2012 5:36 AM

Aug 2010
I agree at this show is definitely not for everyone. To my understanding, it's just a matter whether the viewer themselves understand the story behind a story (Inception, lol) to get it.

I'm interested a bit about the novels. Even though I can't read Japanese, I do want to find translated versions of the novels like the To Aru Majutsu No Index novel series. But eh, the last novel? How different is the plot, without making any spoilers?
Mar 3, 2012 11:37 AM

Jan 2008
I thought the show was good and I enjoyed the plot, visuals, themes and music, but what bogged the show down for me was the characters. The only character that I legitimately liked was Himari. Everyone else was just ehhhh. I gave not one fuck for any of them.

And the ending was by far the best part. It was really really good.

Mar 5, 2012 9:07 AM

Aug 2010
Ha yes, I agree with all of the above for greatness. The characters, yes, they may all seem to have some sort of fucked up past or personalities, but without them, it wouldn't make this show as dramatic as it should be! @__@
Aug 25, 2015 3:05 AM

Jul 2012
I understand that this is a good anime but as pointed out before, not everyone will like or understand this kind of anime. I honestly dropped this anime (or put it on hold currently) after episode 16. Some people like myself for instance prefer lighter genre anime, or maybe a darker one but doesn't require much thinking. Studying for exams are stressful enough that my brain is overloading, I can't afford to waste my energy to think about a deep show like this.

So there will be, or maybe just anime watcher in general who just can't afford to think deeply about the anime and not understanding the true point and value of the anime, or they simply just don't like the genre. I'm simply one of the latter and imo this anime already got a high enough ratings with 200# something rank.
よろしく!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 13 Discussion

Yumekichi11 - Oct 10, 2011

48 by basskiller »»
Yesterday, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.