Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 24, 2012 4:29 PM

Jan 2008
Ever since Natao become established as part of the team, the anime seem to go out of its way to make out that Kanji has a huge crush on Natao, making it so damn obvious. It's almost as if after Kanji's arc, they are trying to write out the ambiguity of his sexuality and make it out that 'there's no chance he's gay'.

It's a huge direct contrast to the video game, where there are little subtle hints of Kanji having some form of crush on Natao, there is still that lingering feeling that he could or could not be gay. But in the anime, they are trying to pull out everything to disprove that and it absolutely annoys me.

And yet what baffles me is that in the episode discussion, no one seems bothered about it.
Feb 24, 2012 5:04 PM
Dec 2007
Ammish said:
Ever since Natao become established as part of the team, the anime seem to go out of its way to make out that Kanji has a huge crush on Natao, making it so damn obvious. It's almost as if after Kanji's arc, they are trying to write out the ambiguity of his sexuality and make it out that 'there's no chance he's gay'.

It's a huge direct contrast to the video game, where there are little subtle hints of Kanji having some form of crush on Natao, there is still that lingering feeling that he could or could not be gay. But in the anime, they are trying to pull out everything to disprove that and it absolutely annoys me.

And yet what baffles me is that in the episode discussion, no one seems bothered about it.
I'm sorry to break it to you but the game also went on a limb to establish the Kanji/Naoto connection. The only reason it wasn't as overt as in the anime is because the game had to leave Naoto open for the MC to romance her. In the anime however they seem to just want to focus MC's attention on the Rise/Yukiko/Chie Triumvirate so the Naoto/Kanji relationship is fair game.

Also, How many time must I repeat that Shadows are merely repressed sides of the self. When Kanji was captured he was having a crisis of identity, especially because he felt something for Naoto who he thought was a guy (mostly because Naoto showed some interest in him and he was fishing for any attention). Only things that are 100% confirmed about him is that he likes sewing and such things because his mother taught him since he was little and and he likes cute things. The game goes out of it's way to stress that and only used the "gay" thing as slight comic relief in some situations.

Why some people want Kanji to be gay is beyond me, especially when all the non-Shadow World evidence point to Kanji being straight and the only relationship that's ever hinted for him is his hinted crush on Naoto.
Leon-GunFeb 24, 2012 5:08 PM

Feb 24, 2012 6:01 PM

Jan 2008
Leon-Gun said:
I'm sorry to break it to you but the game also went on a limb to establish the Kanji/Naoto connection.

Which I mentioned in my post. But it wasn't in your face as much as the anime is portraying it now.

The only reason it wasn't as overt as in the anime is because the game had to leave Naoto open for the MC to romance her. In the anime however they seem to just want to focus MC's attention on the Rise/Yukiko/Chie Triumvirate so the Naoto/Kanji relationship is fair game.

That is a fair point, but it really clashes with Kanji's character.

Also, How many time must I repeat that Shadows are merely repressed sides of the self. When Kanji was captured he was having a crisis of identity, especially because he felt something for Naoto who he thought was a guy (mostly because Naoto showed some interest in him and he was fishing for any attention).

I agree with you that Kanji wants to be accepted because as you mention later on, he wants to be accepted for having hobbies that are seen as 'feminine'.

Why some people want Kanji to be gay is beyond me, especially when all the non-Shadow World evidence point to Kanji being straight and the only relationship that's ever hinted for him is his hinted crush on Naoto.

I never ever stated I wanted him to be 'gay'. I stated I like the ambiguity that surrounds his sexuality because there were still hints that he is gay (the Shadow World, which is evidence and you cannot refute that) and his exaggeration towards the comments by Yosuke on his sexuality (If he wasn't, then it would not be a big deal). What I like about Kanji is that whilst there's both evidence to suggest he is straight or gay, that isn't the focus of his character. It's about being accepted for his hobbies, upbringing of cute things and such.

What I don't like is that they trying to force down the NataoxKanji in every moment in the anime to try and exemplifies that 'he's straight'. It's a slap in the face to the game where it's up to your interpretation of his sexuality.
Feb 24, 2012 6:20 PM

Jul 2009
thing with Kanji is that he likes Naoto, no matter what gender~

It just happens that Naoto is a godly reverse trap.
Feb 24, 2012 6:33 PM

May 2010
jeroz said:
thing with Kanji is that he likes Naoto, no matter what gender~

It just happens that Naoto is a godly reverse trap.

^This.

Since it's a misunderstanding after all, can't you let it slide? I don't think it matters when we know the truth.
Feb 24, 2012 6:36 PM

Jun 2008
Well Leon-gun pretty much said everything I could possibly say on the subject.

I really have no problem with this. The anime is focused on character development after all. This means they're probably going to over-emphasize some stuff that was minor in the game (because the game after all, takes a huge chunk from its gameplay).

I don't think it really conflicts with Kanji's character. In the game, I always thought he liked Naoto, probably more than I (the protagonist) did.

I also liked Kanji's Shadow battle more than the game offered, since he was the one that pulled the final punch. Defeating your own Shadow? That's ridiculous.
Feb 24, 2012 6:40 PM

May 2010
No one seems bothered by it because, it's probably due to people liking the shipping. Although it's incredibly obvious about his crush on Naoto, it's not confirmed because they aren't exactly together. He just likes Naoto for Naoto. You know, there's also a chance that he can be Bi-Sexual which is also a choice you can decide in your mind while playing the game - Not just gay or straight.

I'm not bothered by it because his "likings" towards females or males is not what Kanji is about anyways. As said, the gay is symbolism of "being accepted" - whether you like him or not, he's gonna be Kanji - which is the man who likes to sew, do other creative stuff that does not match his image, loves his mother dearly, etc.

About that shadow world evidence...
Feb 24, 2012 6:49 PM

Dec 2010
MC X Kanji OTP
Mar 1, 2012 1:38 PM

May 2008
notsureifsrs said:
MC X Kanji OTP
Exactly. People need to understand this. There's no place in Kanji's heart for none other than MC.
Mar 1, 2012 1:45 PM

May 2009
The TV series may be exposing Kanji's affection for Naoto more because it's funny, and that's what this series has been trying to be since forever.
Mar 1, 2012 6:52 PM

Apr 2010
Did you even play the game? His crush was incredibly obvious, and he was never actually "gay", he was just unsure of his true self due to his hobbies and attraction towards naoto, who he presumed was male at the time. If you played to the end, there is also the whole explanation of what the shadow world actually is yada yada.

The only things that made it seem like he may be gay after his arc were the constant gay jokes/teasing present in both the animu and game.
ClousMar 1, 2012 9:40 PM
Nov 28, 2012 11:17 AM
Nov 2012
RealScreamer said:
About that shadow world evidence...

While part of this is true the thing is the shadow is someone suppressed self. And his shadow was created from his confusion to Naoto saying she wanted to see him again. While she ment nothing by this only to talk since she figured out those being kidnapped showed up on the media.

And the shadow doesn't show up showing what people want, your thinking of the midnight channel. They wanted to think of Nametame as the killer but after the speech check thing they figure out he was just tricked by Adachi so he could have fun with his "Game".

While I got off track with that, back to the issue at hand, I was reading a fan fic of Naoto and the MC (Which I support by the way but I'm not saying this stuff cause of that.)

But the person pointed something out I never noticed, the Mc said "Well, he's had a crush on you since he first met you before his kidnapping"

Naoto replied back ""Oh really now... Me, or the facade I carry? So is he attracted to the woman beneath the clothes or the Detective Prince?"

Which I never thought of til this person pointed it out, cause Kanji liked Naoto when he thought Naoto was a guy but after discovering she's a chick he felt his masculinity was protected cause the "guy" he liked turned out to be a girl...Wow kinda repeated myself my fault but anyway. Also whenever Kanji tries to show he like Naoto she kinda brushes it off even in the Anime version she doesn't show much interest in Kanji at all only see's him as a comrade. And no matter what you do in the story line in the game Naoto hints she likes the MC at the end of the game she says she'd like to leave with the MC claiming to be a joke but she can't blush on the spot. And even during her social link in the beginning she claims to get nervous around the MC a lot sooner then Chie and the others.

Now here's my point of view with Naoto x Kanji and why I think them together is wrong.
1. Kanji would honestly be the woman in the relationship
2. Kanji's clueless with 90% of what Naoto says.
3. Naoto doesn't share anything in common with Kanji cause she's not into dolls and such.

These are my top 3 reasons for why it would just not work with them. While the MC accept her 100%
Dec 20, 2012 3:27 PM
Jul 2012
Leon-Gun said:
Ammish said:

I'm sorry to break it to you but the game also went on a limb to establish the Kanji/Naoto connection. The only reason it wasn't as overt as in the anime is because the game had to leave Naoto open for the MC to romance her. In the anime however they seem to just want to focus MC's attention on the Rise/Yukiko/Chie Triumvirate so the Naoto/Kanji relationship is fair game.

Also, How many time must I repeat that Shadows are merely repressed sides of the self. When Kanji was captured he was having a crisis of identity, especially because he felt something for Naoto who he thought was a guy (mostly because Naoto showed some interest in him and he was fishing for any attention). Only things that are 100% confirmed about him is that he likes sewing and such things because his mother taught him since he was little and and he likes cute things. The game goes out of it's way to stress that and only used the "gay" thing as slight comic relief in some situations.

But in my save I am lovers with
Chie
Yukiko
Rise
Ai
Yumi (Drama)
and Naoto =D

Also not sure why people don't get it either, Kanji is pretty straight, he's alter ego is just the part he hates when people talk bad about how he likes to sew and like cute things and stuff.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.