Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 6, 2009 4:12 PM

Jan 2008
First Episode was...nice. I mean, it makes me want to see what's happening next, but it didn't really amaze me. Some things were just...too blunt/direct for me. Wasn't there a better way of introducing Kouta's sister than simply letting them go to the beach and remembering it at once?! o.O
"Oh, nice, the beach. Do you remember my dead/vanished/whatever sister? It's so sad, I miss her. The audience should know this." ...

Plus, "All she says is "Nyuu", so let's call her Nyu!" - And let's catch her with a Pokéball afterwards!! ...Seriously.

Oh, but I really enjoyed that Kisaragi was "disposed of" so quickly, she only had about 1min screentime and she was already getting on my nerves. xD

Sep 29, 2009 3:18 PM

Jun 2009
Part of me loved this first episode, watching guards get ripped apart via psychic powers, part of me was just plain shocked at the sheer brutality of the violence. Not sure if i've even witnessed violence quite this disturbing before LOL.

One thing i wonder is why lucy decided to kill that poor innocent clumsy girl, but left the dude in the suit untouched? she didn't even need that girls body to protect her against small arms machiene gun fire, can't she use her Matrix powers and stop bullets like Neo? that was kinda cold... but i guess it might've been MORE heartless to leave that poor girl alive staring at all those decapitated mutiliated bodies eh? :P still wonder why the dude in the suit was untouched though.

Anyway, episode set up the story decently enough for me, i want to learn more, and see what happens next.
Oct 7, 2009 6:44 AM
Sep 2009
hounddog said:
Heh...maybe I'm just a sick, twisted person, but I didn't think it was that bad. It's bloody, sure, but..I dunno. From what everyone had been saying about it, I expected a lot worse.

exactly.
Nov 20, 2009 12:54 PM

Nov 2008
I... I just don't know what to say...
Also this soldier dude is fucking annoying, he is not obeying to his superior, he randomly punch a girl without any reasons and he point a gun to his comrade's head and nobody say anything to him? He's not even fired?
That's so retarded indeed.
Nov 24, 2009 5:08 PM

Nov 2009
Seriously, I hear from people all the time that the first episode of Elfen Lied is so horribly violent and bloody, some people have thrown up from it, etc etc. But honestly? I wasn't turned off by it at all. I wasn't disturbed. I expected far worse as well. But ah well. That's not why I'm watching it. I'm watching it because my best friend said it was an amazing series. So, here I am, a few years late, but finally watching Elfen Lied. :)
Dec 22, 2009 4:27 PM

Jul 2009
Yeah, a little too much blood, ain't it? Well, it sure made her look damn creepy. I have no idea how this is gonna turn out, thank god.
Feb 2, 2010 2:55 PM

Mar 2009
wow first ep
pretty creepy
Feb 16, 2010 2:07 PM

Sep 2009
The first episode seemed to me, to be a complete failure.
Especially when I have heard that its the goriest moment in the series.

If your going to make a seinen moment, keep it up into the entire series. To me the opening just felt like.
"WOW LOOK AT WHAT WE DID. WATCH OUR SHOW!"

My opinion of that might change after watching the entire series, but it just felt completely unnecessary. Like it wanted to attract a Gantz type audience.

The characters seemed...bland. Music was decent. Nothing terrible, nothing memorable.
However the art is/was very well done.
Feb 21, 2010 12:14 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, that's one he** of a first episode. I've read the manga, but the anime still shocked me a bit. I'm definetley watching it!
Mar 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Jun 2009
Why is almost everyone so negative? The only things that irritated me in this episode were the drawings from the faces from the side.. And that annoying soldier men thing. But I think that Lucy is really cute ^^ And I like the word 'Nyu'. This is one of the first times that I watch a horror, but all the blood and killing didn't scare me at all! I only thoughy 'Yeah! Way to go! All that stupid soldiers may just disappear :D'. They were all so stupid to shoot while they know that they couldn't win! I think that I'm gonna like this Anime. The opening song in beautiful ^^

-Don't blame me for my English.. I'm not that good in other languages then Dutch-
Apr 16, 2010 7:54 PM

Mar 2010
Sexy nude chick ripping men apart.
<3
Apr 20, 2010 5:42 AM

Aug 2009
Whew, I survived. I haven't seen this much bloodiness since I've watched Higurashi last year. *continues watching*
May 3, 2010 12:09 AM

Dec 2008
Loved it! But what I FOUND REALLY harsh was the killing of the moe secretary, there was no need to rip her head off and use her as a human shield! NO NEEED! Also when Bando randomly round-house kicked the poor lady in face for no reason. "Don't walk behind me stupid bitch." Poor thing.

Anyways...

nyuu~ :D
May 10, 2010 10:50 AM

Dec 2009
So gory, so violent, so.....wow
its hard to believe that someone as cute as Nyu(Lucy) is such a hard core killer
May 11, 2010 6:23 PM

Nov 2009
wow umm Hentia much =P anyway AWESOME blood and all!!! omg best part was when she peed on the floor XD AMAZING haha... i feel really bad 4 the little sister ='(
Jun 16, 2010 2:04 PM

May 2010
Mizore951 said:
wow umm Hentia much =P anyway AWESOME blood and all!!! omg best part was when she peed on the floor XD AMAZING haha... i feel really bad 4 the little sister ='(

Haha, not hentai, just an ecchi :P

When someone told me that ecchi was perverted, I thought it actually was hentai so I hesitated watching Elfen Lied.. but yeah... I finally sucked it up- funny story.
Jun 16, 2010 2:07 PM

May 2010
That episode was so awesome. I for one enjoyed the blood, gore and nudity.

I think I'm too young to watch this show- actually I just finished it a few days ago I'm just writing episode reviews now.

First ten minutes was awesome. I loved and still love the OP. Really nice..
Jun 17, 2010 12:12 PM

Jan 2010
what the hell's with that girl xD

omg and i thought Higurashi was gory O.o,Higurashi looks PG-13 compared to this O.o
5 minutes into the anime and limbs were flying everywhere lol
but i must admit,i got into it fast ^_^

so...
gore....check(and holly cow there's alot of it)
boobies ^_^...check
moe killer with cat years...check

this is gonna be great :D

5/5

oh i almost forgot,i loled at how happy the ED is compared to that depressing OP song lmao!
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 19, 2010 10:42 PM

Apr 2010
-------------------- -- --

its ok episode.. hope next episode is great..!
Jun 22, 2010 8:26 AM

Dec 2008
I like this right out of the box!! I am a huge fan of blood, gore, and nudity!! Does that make me perverted?

I can't wait to learn more about this cat-eared chick with a child like disposition that can take down 23 people without even breaking a sweat.

Jul 11, 2010 11:56 PM

Jun 2009
Hmmm, they didn't take her to the cops, which I don't like, but at the very least they mentioned it... forgiven I think...

The whole beginning was... interesting, I thought the clumsy secretary is going to stay for a while... and looks like her boss does care about her ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2010 10:24 AM

May 2010
So far, its the most violent and bloodiest anime I've ever seen..

Eventhough I'm not a fan of gore + ecchi anime but the story is kinda intriguing

so I'll go for this one..
Aug 20, 2010 11:59 AM

Feb 2010
wow. i am sucked in. must watch.
Nov 28, 2010 6:47 PM
Sep 2010
I remember when I had watched the first episode months ago and I kept on flinching when watching the first five minutes, totally creeped out and hiding my face in my hands everytime she killed someone. Even though the show looked promising, I decided to put it on-hold and focus on other animes that I was watching at the time.
Now...I can declare that I barely flinched this time, though I totally forgot about the whole five minutes of gore *gives myself a pat on the back* and giving the show another chance and it's still interesting. I hope to finish the series by the end of this week since there's only 13 episodes.
Uploader53Dec 14, 2010 11:30 AM
Uploader53
Dec 13, 2010 11:49 PM

Sep 2010
I just finished watching this episode. Lucy is really cruel! Killing people who are shooting at you is one thing, but killing people who are helpless on the ground practically begging for mercy, and people who are totally not a threat, like that lady... Really harsh!!! After the first bit it was better though, and much easier to watch. I really want to know who Lucy is, and how someone who appears so innocent could do such a thing in the beginning. I guess I should have learned that from Higurashi though.
Feb 24, 2011 1:57 PM

Aug 2009
Nice way to start things up , but i already hate 'Nyu'. The male lead looks stupid as well.
bOnesSFeb 25, 2011 1:13 AM
May 10, 2011 6:43 PM

Apr 2011
THIS WAS NOT AS "GOREY" AS EVERYONE SAID IT WAS!

It was totally unrealistic and it me me laugh way more than it made me cringe. That is not what a severed arm looks like, and there should have been guts spilling out when she ripped the guys in half, not just blood.

I was going to stop watching but then she turned all moe.

...I'll probably end up watching the whole thing...
RazzledazzyMay 10, 2011 6:58 PM
May 19, 2011 9:43 AM

Aug 2010
I've heard a lot about Elfen Lied. "Bloody", "very hard to watch", "terribly depressing" and so on. Actually I'm rather sensitive person (for example, the episode about Chimera in Fullmetal Alchemist terrified me), but...
I started watching Elfen Lied having a cold and maybe my mind was stunned a bit because of illness...BUT I felt nothing watching the 1st ep.

When Lucy tore the heart of that guy off I only thought "Well, cruel indeed" but felt no horror. WTF?
I can't say that I liked this ep, because Kota and his cousin seemed to be very weak and boring characters. Hope they will do their best in nex episodes...
Jun 5, 2011 5:43 AM

Oct 2009
Re-watching.

Ah yeah, Elfen Lied.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2011 10:05 AM

May 2009
hounddog said:
Heh...maybe I'm just a sick, twisted person, but I didn't think it was that bad. It's bloody, sure, but..I dunno. From what everyone had been saying about it, I expected a lot worse.

ha same here
but that was a great first ep i look forward to more
Nov 30, 2011 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
Rewatching~

Wow... I knew there was a lot of blood but that was just fkin intense.
funkotakuNov 30, 2011 9:07 PM
Apr 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Nov 2011
Re-watched series 7 times already in dubbed. Masterpiece.
Apr 6, 2012 8:34 PM

Jul 2011
yeah so im gonna go throw up all of my food
as for continuing to watch this anime two words

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 6, 2012 8:47 PM

Mar 2009
mrzkitty said:
yeah so im gonna go throw up all of my food
as for continuing to watch this anime two words

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch it!! GOOOOD STORY!!
Apr 21, 2012 1:59 AM

Mar 2012
already love this anime and everyone says story gets better so i cant wait!
May 6, 2012 9:37 PM

Apr 2010
Loved it. Didn't expect the coffee girl to die though. Ouch.

Jun 4, 2012 6:32 PM

May 2012
Is it wrong that I was laughing through the entire killing scene in the beginning? Like, "Oh, yes, tear her head off, that's SO realistic! HAHA!" and "Look at all that blood! Marvelous. Uhmhmhmhm..." That uhmhmhm is my dark laughter, of course. Really, though, this looks awesome! *clicks Episode 2*
Jun 25, 2012 10:16 AM

Jun 2012
Didnt expect it to be this bloody....
Jun 30, 2012 10:48 PM

Jan 2012
So.... lucy gotta a Headshot, but just lost memories and the capacity to communicate. lol

I´m curious if we´ll be able to see those invisible super-arms she got...
Jul 9, 2012 1:02 PM

May 2012
fucking epic beginning :D
Jul 14, 2012 3:21 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty cool with all the gore and killing, but the nudity wasn't necessary, plus the rest of the episode was boring. 3/5

Aug 8, 2012 11:10 PM
Jul 2012
At first the first episode was creepy.But i may deal with most of the episodes.
But may contune watching the rest of the episodes.
4/5
Aug 9, 2012 1:05 AM

Sep 2011
I've already seen this episode some years ago on TV, but even then I knew I didn't like it. Not because of the violence (which was kind of fun, though nothing really special), but because of Lucy. She is just so annoying... I like cute characters and, as you call them, 'moe' things, but this unnecessary nudity and cat-like Nyu-ing is annoying as hell.
I really hope she will do more than that. The boy also seems to be the usual plain main protagonist with no real special quality.

I'm going in with low expectations. I was waiting with watching this for a long time now, but since a lot of people said that it's "OMG-SO-AWESOME", I finally got around to start it. I hope they were right and this won't be only about fanservice and unreasonable gore.
Sep 21, 2012 1:15 PM

Apr 2011
nice violence and blood but the nudity just makes it so unreal.
idk maybe its just me...

also, how are those horns ? they look like cat ears.
Dec 3, 2012 11:02 AM

Oct 2009
See.. I read the manga a couple of years ago and really loved it, enough to go out and buy the DvD's of this series. Finally got around to watching episode 1 and just... meh.

Kohta and Yuki are boring. The sniper guy is just.. what? And as for the pointless nudity? *shrug* Really not sure whether I'll bother with the rest.
Feb 5, 2013 4:34 AM

Jan 2012
woah, quite the opener wasn't it.... so much blood which is always a plus, wouldn't say it was anything major though... but it was enough to distract me from the fact that she was naked the whole way through but i didn't really pay attention, only until the boy & girl found her on the beach i noticed more

*the part where she had the vest top on and was just popping her boob out i found hilarious im sorry xD*

sure the story will start to develop now hopefully apart from all the nudity and gore we didn't get much at all!
Feb 19, 2013 2:56 AM

Dec 2012
For whatever reason, I find this hilarious XD. The gory massacre was quick, not torturing. If you want a bloody/violent anime to be taken seriously or try to frighten you, the deaths have to be slow or disturbing. But that's why I liked this series so far :)! The way those guard were simply popped in half were very lol-worthy. Maybe it's because it reminded of the simple gore of castle Crashers :3
KitaTsuki said:
Loved it. Didn't expect the coffee girl to die though. Ouch.
oh yeah, Props to the tipsy coffee lady! She didn't deserve that but it was hella funny to watch!... Maybe I'm being little sadistic :P
Kasane_TedFeb 19, 2013 3:32 AM
Feb 22, 2013 5:44 PM
Feb 2013
I was expecting a bit gorier but I think the psycho-head-ripping stuff introduced the character nicely.

And as for nudity, it was tasteful and showed her ignorance. A lot of countries show more nudity than that, it's funny how people are so shocked by it sometimes.
Mar 29, 2013 3:49 PM
Mar 2013
This much gore in first 5 minutes! I was like: "Boy that escalated quickly"! and then after that:"Nyu"! ???? I surely didn't expect that!
May 9, 2013 8:54 AM

Oct 2012
I watched this episode yesterday, which was about 8 pm. I watched Another and Mirai Nikki before and loved them, and I thought it means I probably love horror. I knew Elfen Lied is something by far more insane and violent than the other two animes, and I thought it's going to scare me. Heck, I've always been a pussy when it comes to horror stuff until I tried Mirai Nikki, but this didn't scare me in any way, I found that bloody mess to be quite ridiculous.

Initially I started to watch this because I loved the soundtrack and that one melody I always heard, I don't know how it's named, but also because I heard it's really sad which that melody confirmed. I always loved sad and depressing animes like anything made by Key or something like Code Geass. Elfen Lied seems to be hated by a lot of people, and for some reason, idk why, I enjoyed every hated anime a whole lot, except Black Rock Shooter and Mars of Destruction. And since I don't like it when boobs are constantly shown, I really hoped this won't be the case here.

If you read this comment and watched the first episode (I assume so), you'll know that this is one reason why I'm a little bit disappointed. The senseless ecchi scenes and gore made it really seem ridiculous. It seems like an anime that has potential which was wasted. I'm going to watch episode 2 now and hope it gets better, but for this episode my vote goes to 2 out of 5: Disliked it. I'm probably going to comment episode 2 as well once I finished watching it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» How is this still rated 7.5?

Dirittoprocedura - Apr 29

25 by Phloup »»
Apr 29, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.