Forum Settings
Forums
Voices of a Distant Star
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 14, 2009 5:01 PM
Jul 2009
I liked it very much! So sad the ending... :'(
Nov 14, 2009 5:03 PM
Jul 2009
xMafiax said:
AlphaEnd said:
I gave this a 5, I don't see how you can get emotional over 5min old characters. they had huge ass heads. And they talked crazy fast most of the time. A few times I totally forgot that it wasn't a flash video.

lol, sounds like you can only get emotional over pretty characters....

Well, on the other hand I enjoyed it, while I have to say the drawings really were a bit "eh", the story was great, with the given settings and all, their trust to each other and all.

I keep feeling like Mikako died at the end though... xD

Read the summary at wikipedia... :'(
Dec 1, 2009 1:36 AM

Aug 2009
I gues that story can be undrstand only by pepl that txted their lowers in some time of life. For me txting was wery emocional in it self and somtimes waiting on replay is raly like days. I i don't know who could discribe somthng like tahat so perfectly like that anime.
10/10

Dec 21, 2009 5:59 AM

Jul 2008
BioMax said:
IMO, the worst his work. 6/10.

Eh?! I thought this was WAY better than The Place Promised In Our Early Days even tho it's shorter.
Jan 3, 2010 3:23 PM

Jul 2008
A lot of Shinkai's works are great, but boring. This anime is great, that is no longer debateable. Whether it was for your tastes is a different story.
Jan 10, 2010 8:59 AM

Apr 2009
I didn't like much the character design but the story,backgrounds are amazing.
I found funny that someone who loves DBZ don't like the animation here,the whole work here was made by 1 person or 2 and he even says the animation is bad? haha I laughed.
Jan 13, 2010 9:16 AM

Jan 2008
i thought this was going to be a pile of crap because it was so short, but i actually really loved it (minus the chara designs). I was impresed at how much power was packed into those 25 mins.
Jan 15, 2010 1:43 PM

May 2009
Just watched this and felt it more powerful than 5cm/sec. Yes animation isn't as good but that is expected i guess. 25 mins seemed perfect for the movie. Short but so powerful and so heart-rending :(
Jan 28, 2010 8:20 PM
Jan 2010
I actually really really liked it. I love the backgrounds and the scenery drawn with precise detail. Yes, the character drawings were bad (especially comparing them to 5 centimeters per second) but about the head thing... it actually fit very well with Noboru's adult body. But, in order to really appreciate this (from my humble point of view) wonderfully orchestrated 25 minutes of a symphony of emotions, you have to relate to their feelings as well. From what I can tell, the beauty, true beauty, of the OVA is not from the beautifully drawn backgrounds, the flowing music that blends and integrates itself so perfectly well that you haven't realized that you've been listening to a song until a couple seconds in, but the fact that Shinkai Makoto was able to portray their feelings of each other so clearly and spectacularly is what separates this piece of work from a thousand others like it. Sure it is cliche, two lovers separate from each other trying desperately to reach one another. Sure the character designs for the head is terrible, they look like watermelons compared to their bodies). But the feelings he portrays through their words makes those who do not understand their pain to go,

"Wow, is that how it feels? To fall in love but to never hear their voice?" And to those who know Noboru's and Mikako's burden would go,

"I understand, even though I may have not known it well enough myself, I feel like I finally have a better understanding of why I felt what I felt." Through the dialogue of the characters, through the actions those characters took, through the thoughts of the characters that made them into live human beings, Makoto provided the materials to bring us closer to understanding the greatest question facing mankind... What exactly is love?

What Makoto did is akin to what the universe's actions have caused. On the surface, the stars in the galaxies are nothing more than pretty much Hydrogen and Helium. But little do people know that from those Hydrogen and Helium comes other stars, planets, the Earth and her inhabitants. On the surface, Makoto made another typical love story. However, what stems from that OVA is coming closer to understanding other humans and their feelings.
Feb 21, 2010 5:29 AM

Jan 2010
ridiculous story, a big waste of time.
4/10
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Feb 26, 2010 11:02 PM

Aug 2008
instead of information getting around through the speed of light. They shud just send a group of people back the way they came. Its faster isn't it?
Feb 26, 2010 11:03 PM

Aug 2008
oh no waitttt i think i get it... if u travel sayy 8 light years in time warp u wont age but really 8 years have gone by? i think i get itttt
Feb 27, 2010 2:35 PM

Aug 2009
OMG!!! Can I give it a 11/10??? Nooo!! more... like 100000/10!!
Geez that was one of the most amazing things I have ever watched! I don't really care about thinking why the mails didn't get sooner through wrapped space or not...and other stuff like that... cause what I know is that this was absolutely captivating, beutifully done and really deep in emotion, yet so simple, without using tricks to impress.It was just impressive in its own purity. Wish there was more of it!
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Mar 11, 2010 9:39 AM

Apr 2009
crowslayer91 said:
oh god. tears.

Me? More like FLOOD. GATES.
;__;
Music was awesome, especially during the big fight. Backgrounds were beautiful, I loved Ag harta the most.
I really liked it. I definitely need to check out Shinkai's other works.
Also,
" Shinkai, Makoto
Producer, Director, Script, Animation Director, Executive Producer, Character Design"
...are you kidding me? o.O
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 16, 2010 3:54 PM

Aug 2008
Cenedess said:
crowslayer91 said:
oh god. tears.

Me? More like FLOOD. GATES.
;__;
Music was awesome, especially during the big fight. Backgrounds were beautiful, I loved Ag harta the most.
I really liked it. I definitely need to check out Shinkai's other works.
Also,
" Shinkai, Makoto
Producer, Director, Script, Animation Director, Executive Producer, Character Design"
...are you kidding me? o.O

Yeah the guy basically sat down in front of his mac, made the whole thing, and voiced it together with his wife.
Apr 12, 2010 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
OH IT'S THIS ONE!
I just didn't know the name when I actually saw it (saw it on TV, cool huh?) ^^;
So.. When was it I saw this? Few years ago or something? o.O
Nevertheless, it was really great : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 18, 2010 6:59 AM
Mar 2010
Sad sad and really good.
Apr 18, 2010 9:53 PM

Jan 2010
Very beautiful.
Like all of Shinkai's works, if you didn't cry or at least feel down while watching this you are a very broken person ^.^.

For all those tripped up by the vague ending.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It did, in fact, have a happy ending clarified via the novelization that came with the dvd. Mikako and the Lysithia survive that battle but the carrier is damaged to the point where they cannot return home for 8 years, hence the timeskip. The two are presumably reunited after the movie ends.

I know there are going to be those, as always, who would have preferred she died and relished in the "purity" of the tale but I rather like the ending. Take it how you will ^.^. If 5cm/s didn't end happily, at the very least, this one did.
cr1msonambienceApr 18, 2010 9:56 PM
Apr 29, 2010 11:57 AM

Mar 2008
simply perfect,
i know.. the animation is different, but as u can see.. this is an anime where it just doesnt matter.. its simply perfect, a masterpiece

so..fk u all u haters
May 22, 2010 5:32 PM

Jun 2009
holy shit, mediocre discribes this thing best
the art was retarded, my friend was laughing so hard he was crying "theyre heads look crushed in at times"
soo they can animate a newspaper picture but they dont have something for familys,etc. to communicate properly
6/10
Albert Einstein said:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

May 26, 2010 7:20 AM

Apr 2009
the heads hurt my eyes xD

this is why badly animated school girls shouldn't pilot giant mecha
Jun 11, 2010 3:50 AM

Apr 2010
a quote from bakabt sums up my thoughts:
This was so stupid. She is piloting a mecha in her school uniform and texting her boyfriend from the other side of the galaxy.
Jun 19, 2010 4:10 AM

Oct 2009
So beautiful!
Jul 20, 2010 7:32 AM
Feb 2010
I was like, in 2047, newspapers have videos but the cellphone still looks like sht? Maybe he kept it to wait for her emails. MEH
Jul 31, 2010 2:25 PM
May 2009
burntlettuce said:
MrShepherd said:
DeathfireD said:
She will still look 15 where as he will look much much older.
Wait, what? No, they'll both be the same age.

Time moves slower the faster you go. So her traveling at the speed of light would case her to age slower then him.

It was ok, character desings were pretty awful for Shinkai Makoto and i didn't really like the ending. But i enjoyed it and thought the whole cell phone thing was excellent

Also, she sent the messages eight years before he received them. She'd certainly look younger.
Jul 31, 2010 7:47 PM

Dec 2009
Meh , i just don't understand why she couldn't say : " sorry but i don't wanna go to space " and just stay on earth >_> ...
Aug 22, 2010 10:31 AM

Aug 2010
Romeo said:
simply perfect,
i know.. the animation is different, but as u can see.. this is an anime where it just doesnt matter.. its simply perfect, a masterpiece

so..fk u all u haters
perfect!
Aug 29, 2010 9:37 PM

Feb 2009
Why text messages? Isn't there any other way to contact earth?
Idiot! Don't you know out of sight out of mind.

So much noise for almost nothing
Oct 24, 2010 6:45 AM

Nov 2008
This was beautiful.
Nov 2, 2010 9:32 AM

May 2010
Surprised to see alot of people disliking this. Maybe they didn't click with it emotionally or something. If they want to go rating some f*cking horrible ecchi comedy higher than this, then go ahead. Their loss I feel.

I actually preferred this to 5cm - b/c in a way I felt the emotions were more realistic (as weird as that sounds). Let me explain my thoughts:

She's stuck in space - basically alone with her thoughts, and memories of her past. In that isolating situation you cling to all the memories and experiences you've had previously - and the contact she had with Noboru really helped her get through.

With Noboru, it's such a unique, special relationship its no surprise he can't let it go. Often teenage relationships are very casual, short-lived things - but with her being in space its no surprise that he placed an extra significance on it.

I wouldn't say that it's fully fledged love - but more like two young people who have over time and unique situations built up a very special and sad bond.

I loved the idea of this OVA - and just wish it had been longer.
Nov 3, 2010 8:03 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm. Where do I start? Umm. Well i guess to begin with, I'd give this ''short-story''/episode an honest: 7/10. Here's why. First thing I noticed was the animation. I wasn't too big of a fan with the somewhat unorthodox stlye of animation (Yes, I'm aware this was done by a very small group of people). Don't get me wrong, though. The layers and colors were beautiful. Especially the environment(s)! But It just wasn't my taste, if you know what I mean. The next thing was the score. Absolutely stunning. Very calm, gentle score througout the story. With the means that would fit the story in all aspects. Whether the scene being dramatic, aggressive, or relaxed. It suited it perfectly.Lastly, The emotional side to the story didn't really seem to catch my attention. I understand what the point trying to get across was, but I didn't seem flustered in any way. I can't really say what it was to be honest. I just didn't feel the emotion getting across. It did have it's touching moments, though. All in all, it was worth the watch! I look forward to any other work I may come across by the creator.
Nov 20, 2010 7:00 PM
Sep 2009
The only thing that held this back from getting a 10 from me was the animation. I know its 2002, but the character designs were really off...

Otherwise, this was great. I really felt for the two...bittersweet ending as well. Did she die?
Mar 9, 2011 4:34 AM

Oct 2009
This was a masterpiece!
Honestly i didn't mind the character designs much at all, i think it went well with the backgrounds and the whole theme itself, given that it was done by one person and its just one 24minute episode it was done perfectly, the presentation and the music, they were all great to look and listen to. I just wish it had a proper ending without this open ending...

Honestly i don't see how someone could hate this, but haters gonna hate, i won't waste my time trying to convince them or something...

10/10
Apr 18, 2011 7:08 AM

Oct 2009
AyaTooru said:
To understand it - it is necessary to know the special theory of a relativity. So, just read this;) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox And about the ship. It has been destroyed?

LOL. Don't go bringing spacial relatively into this anime, do you really think their 'technology' abide any of the physic laws that exists in reality? LOL. And that's not even it, the messaged from the phone are electromagnetic (shouldn't even be able to reach earth...) and the warping is alien qqggwtfbbqhacks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2011 3:03 PM

Mar 2011
I vastly prefer Pale Cocoon to this one. Still a great OVA, especially when it is done by one man. Respect.
"Il est difficile d'attraper un chat noir dans une pièce sombre, surtout lorsqu'il n'y est pas."
May 24, 2011 9:52 AM

Aug 2008
Great plot, the animation was good (character design is a bit sketchy though).. my only complaint is that 25 minutes is not enough!
Jun 5, 2011 1:56 AM

Mar 2009
Damn, they are so far apart.. I liked 'thoughts can overcome time and distance'.
Jul 24, 2011 10:11 PM

Sep 2009
The animation really hurt this.

It was very well done though.
Highly reminiscent of the sci fi shorts of old.
Jul 31, 2011 1:53 PM

Jun 2009
Very good. A abit old but animation is great (From 2002year) Some scenes the charaters looked funny but love how time went so fast in so short video length. Anyway I was happy to picked this RANDOMLY and enjoy it at least :)

Aug 18, 2011 3:26 PM

Aug 2011
For people you feel sad about the ending. Maybe you will be interested in the manga under same name. I'v heard it has a clear good ending there. (The manga is on my read list btw.) ;)
Sep 5, 2011 2:13 AM

Aug 2010
Got my little list of depressing watches and yeah, this one didn't disappoint. While the plot definitely had its fair share of problems I enjoyed for what it was worth: a touching story. The character design was definitely...well, let's say weak, however the background was pleasing to look at. A longer version could have been better, but it did a fairly good job of condensing the story into 25 minutes.
Sep 30, 2011 12:44 AM
May 2009
Why does she wear school uniform inside mecha?
Oct 15, 2011 8:31 PM

Jul 2010
Contrary to others, I didn't like the animation that much. The characters were very poorly designed, and the backgrounds honestly looked to me like something from FF9. I LOVE FF9 and all, but they could have tried to make the '3D' effects a little better.

The story though was flawless to me for a 25 minute special. If an anime was based on this, I would love it SO much! It's really a beautiful story.

But, how does the cellphone still have connection and how does it know how long the message takes to get there? Well, these questions should be ignored in this context xD.

Did Mikako die in the end?
I would think so, as her 'gundam' xD looks inactive in the end, but idk.
Oct 15, 2011 8:32 PM

Jul 2010
Vardar said:
Why does she wear school uniform inside mecha?

And yeahh... Thought that was weird too, but a question not to be asked, as it will ruin the mood in a small special like this xD
Oct 16, 2011 6:31 AM

Dec 2009
I can see why people like this. But for me this wasn't really THAT incredible.

I was not bored and it had good moments. so 7/10 from me :)
Oct 18, 2011 4:27 AM

Jan 2010
I just love time paradoxes. Not only is space a vast place, our lives are also unimaginably deep. Our thoughts, that we write on paper, or the internet, it may be a year, 10 years, 100s of years, before they reach someone, maybe they never will. This is what Voices of a Distant Star is all about, the passing of time, and the sorrow that comes with realization of it.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Nov 3, 2011 6:42 PM

Apr 2011
Was good, but a 10/10? Not hardly. Granted I am not a fan of romance in general and thought the dude was a bit on the pathetic side, spending 9-10 years of his life pining over his atypical 'childhood friend' and even deciding to enlist into the space armada to try and find her again. The long-ranged telepathy was a pretty meh touch, I thought. I did love the huge space battle at the end, even though we got no explanation to what the aliens were or what they were after. Ah well, lots of shiny lasers and explosions.

The character design was pretty horrid, though ... especially the girl, and especially any time she was looking upwards (which was most of the short, unfortunately).

7/10, I enjoyed it but it wasn't earth-shattering.
Dec 9, 2011 5:45 PM
Dec 2008
Despite many flaws ( 15 years old get taken in most important space project ?? ), the drama was fine, but the fighting scenes seemed so out of place.

Overall, a good story but poorly executed IMO. 6/10
Dec 14, 2011 7:16 AM

Jul 2011
6/10 for me, just didn't find the story all that touching although it had it's moments. The character animation was a bit off, especially in the heads, but it's definately not unwatchable. Like the previous poster said the fighting scenes seemed out of place in my opinion as well. At any rate, the story was good, and was a nice watch, even if it did not turn out to be my favorite.

Feb 7, 2012 8:26 PM

Mar 2011
Please, I want back my 23 minutes.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would be great if they remade this.

TheMasterSword - Apr 8, 2020

4 by AMBITZZ »»
Apr 21, 2023 10:36 PM

» Where to watch this

MoustacheDino - Nov 7, 2021

3 by Rat-dude »»
Nov 7, 2021 3:52 PM

» Anime or manga?

FurySlasher - Oct 27, 2021

3 by TranHieu120102 »»
Nov 1, 2021 5:45 PM

» If someone really looks here, a question about the ending

dadnaya - Jul 28, 2015

9 by the7thfloor »»
Jan 26, 2020 11:49 AM

» MAL's lag kinda reminds me of this anime

Mrokand - Feb 12, 2010

15 by tinytargetman »»
Apr 11, 2018 5:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.