Forum Settings
Forums
Voices of a Distant Star
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 13, 2022 2:02 PM

Jul 2021
The first few minutes reminded me of Darling in the franx and I instantly became sad.

Damn this was really good. The animation immediately reminded me of the other Makoto Shinkai animes I've watched.

This was a very gripping story. Everything was shown in such a great way, one could literally feel what those two were feeling, those two were the farthest one could ever be from one another. Imagine waiting 8 years just to receive a single message. It's too depressing to even think about it.

Although I'm very very confused about the ending. Did she die?

Overall, 9/10.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 11, 2022 3:13 PM

May 2022
Interesting to see how Makoto Shinkai's work has changed and stayed the same from this period to the present. We see some themes shared like long distance relationships and being far apart. Being separated by forces out of our hands and being unable to fulfill love. If you cut out the space battle stuff its basically the a very similar story to his later work of 5 Centimeters Per Second, while also including train tracks for some reason. Its a ok, but this is just a preliminary start to his career as a creator. I would be interested to see if this was remastered and what he could do with what he has learned and the advancements of technology.
Oct 7, 2022 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
Makoto sinkai's work are always heart touching. The ending sure broke my heart. I really wanted both them to end up together.
The animation was great and CGI was really good. Overall, 7/10 Episodes, I really wanted them to be together!
Oct 10, 2022 7:34 PM
Mar 2019
Imagine the long wait for a simple message, it does not bear thinking of that it might not even come.
Jun 3, 2023 11:54 AM
May 2017
Of course the small budget was a problem but the story was beautiful. Another story by Makoto Shinkai about lovers separated by a phenomenon. 
Jul 18, 2023 4:09 AM

Jan 2016
all design is ok but really weird character design... sometimes it seems just poorly drawn...
then high school kids fighting wars and saving the world... bleh... anime never gets tired of it...
where is all the resolve to join those ranks and embark in that fight? nauseating melodrama... *ending credits roll* oh, it's from that guy, now I understand

r/im14andthisisdeep
PxHCJul 18, 2023 4:12 AM

Sep 5, 2023 2:28 AM

Dec 2022
Decent story, considering how short it is. The concept of the girl being sent into space and having to communicate through mail that takes progressively longer to reach the recipient was handled with care. It also makes you feel some manner of sympathy for the circumstances they're in. The muffled sound design and weird visuals did let it down a bit though, especially during the space battles. A scene explaining why the girl was sent into such a role would've been nice too.

Shaded Horizon

Sep 12, 2023 3:42 PM

Oct 2018
Took a while to get used to it, but halfway down the run time, I was quite intrigued by what was going on and the tone was set right for the most part. Of course, it's made by one person, but the designs here are kinda ugly and the movement is weird which makes sense when you are not following the standard procedure of animating and of course, the CG was dated but I still enjoyed some of the mech-Tarnish interactions.
Jan 21, 2:09 PM
Nov 2018
One of the longest 24 minutes of my life. It was boring and the pacing was too fast to feel anuthing. Coupled with one of the worst voice acting and cgi, this was a horrible experience.
Feb 6, 7:34 AM
Feb 2022
This is one of those few times, i don't understand such a high score for this thing.
Apr 18, 5:58 AM
Sep 2023
This is nothing but a missed opportunity. The movie missed all its chances to capitalize on the story told on the manga, and left out soo many details that would actually have given the plot some substance. Where was the fmc's friendship with the girl (Mika? I think)? What about showing us how the people tasked with saving the solar system galaxy I don't even know, relate with one another. Or at least seeing others around...or something. The art in the manga wasn't that great, and the animation was pretty poor as well (though I read somewhere that it was created by a one-man team, so, who am I to judge...). I'm not really a huge fan of romance so I can't really say anything about that plot on its own...though there could have been some improvements...liike an origin story (how they met...started hanging out...their growth over the years they'd known each other...idk) or the fmc's reaction when she realized she was drafted.

I also found it pretty ridiculous how there was no sign of technological improvement in the year 2046...I could go on and on to be honest. I was really disappointed.

Well on to the next because I'm still a newbie to animanga in general...
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Would be great if they remade this.

TheMasterSword - Apr 8, 2020

4 by AMBITZZ »»
Apr 21, 2023 10:36 PM

» Where to watch this

MoustacheDino - Nov 7, 2021

3 by Rat-dude »»
Nov 7, 2021 3:52 PM

» Anime or manga?

FurySlasher - Oct 27, 2021

3 by TranHieu120102 »»
Nov 1, 2021 5:45 PM

» If someone really looks here, a question about the ending

dadnaya - Jul 28, 2015

9 by the7thfloor »»
Jan 26, 2020 11:49 AM

» MAL's lag kinda reminds me of this anime

Mrokand - Feb 12, 2010

15 by tinytargetman »»
Apr 11, 2018 5:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.