Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Negima!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2008 12:45 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
SUBS ARE OUT! Pretty good story apart from what is already available to see (The 2 other OVAs). Really interesting plot revolving around a fight of Negima and ???? some girl with fire magic. Evangiline has a very kawai loli outfit, which is unusual. Apparently the cards now can be chosen right away instead of being random. In all, it's all good to see everyone back but SOMEONE PICK THIS UP IS POSSIBLE OR HAVE SOMEONE RELAY THAT MESSAGE. Since this is only 3 episodes it might be worth it like Mai Otome Sifr.
angel999Oct 31, 2008 5:16 AM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Aug 12, 2008 6:23 AM

Dec 2007
yeah. OVA episode 1 was awesome. Cant wait for ep 2 :)
I wish Negi meets his dad soon.
Aug 12, 2008 7:05 AM

Feb 2008
Chao and Anya, both has fire magic, I believe one might be the girl which angel mentioned...
Aug 12, 2008 7:19 AM

Apr 2008
it was awesome...and the next one is going to be much better since anya is coming...

My english sucks....i know....
Aug 12, 2008 9:19 AM

Nov 2007
I'll copy what I said at another forum:

Just finished it, and have to say it's my favorite animated version of Negima so far. Episode pacing, Kotaro's VA, magic voice echoes, and animation were all good to me. The only problem I found was lack of character art during the OP. Anyway can't wait until the next one XD

And lol, came out on my birthday, and watched during my birthhour...
Aug 12, 2008 9:39 AM

Jul 2008
sonicspin said:

Just finished it, and have to say it's my favorite animated version of Negima so far. Episode pacing, Kotaro's VA, magic voice echoes, and animation were all good to me. The only problem I found was lack of character art during the OP. Anyway can't wait until the next one XD

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! I HOPE SOMEONE WILL TRANSLATE IT SO YOU CAN WATCH IT AND UNDERSTAND MORE! So they are all going to try to go to Whales, the magical kingdom. Hmmmm interesting.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Aug 12, 2008 1:14 PM

Feb 2007
Haha! Anyone notice the strategically placed 8 ball in the Asuna image in the OP? Someone else on YouTube also mentioned that it looks like the symbol for males. So many (rather perverted) interpretations...

angel999 said:
Apparently the cards now can be chosen right away instead of being random.

That's something unique to the second series. In the original manga, there was only one card, none of which were useless like the joke cards in the second series. These OVAs are sticking with manga material, not SHAFT craziness (well, there may be some, like in the OP).

sonicspin said:

You seem to be everywhere...
Aug 12, 2008 1:23 PM

Jul 2008
Asrialys said:
Haha! Anyone notice the strategically placed 8 ball in the Asuna image in the OP? Someone else on YouTube also mentioned that it looks like the symbol for males. So many (rather perverted) interpretations...

angel999 said:
Apparently the cards now can be chosen right away instead of being random.

That's something unique to the second series. In the original manga, there was only one card, none of which were useless like the joke cards in the second series. These OVAs are sticking with manga material, not SHAFT craziness (well, there may be some, like in the OP).

sonicspin said:

You seem to be everywhere...

Ok I just want to make something clear: are you saying that Shaft made up the Joke cards and in the manga they do not exist??? So you mean that only Armour Cards exist or also the Cosplay ones?
Aug 12, 2008 2:39 PM

Feb 2007
angel999 said:
Ok I just want to make something clear: are you saying that Shaft made up the Joke cards and in the manga they do not exist??? So you mean that only Armour Cards exist or also the Cosplay ones?

I didn't watch much of the second series, so I don't know much of the Armor Cards. I don't know if they do the exact same thing as the manga's cards. SHAFT made up those types of cards for their series. However, they're pretty much just called Pactio Cards in the manga and aren't silly like the ones in the second series. The cards do what they are meant to do.
Aug 12, 2008 10:17 PM

Jul 2008
Asrialys said:
angel999 said:

I didn't watch much of the second series, so I don't know much of the Armor Cards. I don't know if they do the exact same thing as the manga's cards. SHAFT made up those types of cards for their series. However, they're pretty much just called Pactio Cards in the manga and aren't silly like the ones in the second series. The cards do what they are meant to do.

Ok, yeah I agree but still interesting to know what was added and what was not. If you found out anything still do inform me but already I see the huge difference just from looking at the 2 series but obviously the more serious one by Shaft is way better than the other one.
Aug 13, 2008 12:12 AM

Aug 2007
angel999 said:
Asrialys said:
angel999 said:

Ok, yeah I agree but still interesting to know what was added and what was not. If you found out anything still do inform me but already I see the huge difference just from looking at the 2 series but obviously the more serious one by Shaft is way better than the other one.

the series created under SHAFT's supervision is garbage. the story sucks compared to the first series. the only thing that went wrong with the first series however, was the ending (and the shitty anime quality). they screwed it up beyond belief in comparison to the manga. IF negima gets the rights to make a 3rd season, it will be done by SHAFT, but it will follow the story of the original manga. this way, it'll make everyone happy.

furthermore, the Armor cards, Cosplay cards, and Suka cards (Miss cards) were added only to the second series. it was Akiyuki Shinbo and SHAFT's decision to do this, NOT the original creators', Ken Akamatsu.

the 3 new OVA's take place after the first season, which represents the story that took place in Ken Akamatsu's manga. unlike the second series, there is only one Pactio card (or Artifacts) for each girl and each of them can control and use it whenever they please. in the second series, Negi had to cast some sort of spell each time in order for the girls to use their cards.

*Artifact is another term for Pactio card. its used allot in the manga*

one more thing. the Artifacts that the girls can control in the first series and the OVA's are basically the equivalence of the Armor cards represented in the second series. only difference is, they dont need Negi to activate them. Cosplay cards and Suki cards don't exist in the original story.

hope this clears things up =D
Aug 13, 2008 2:53 AM

Jul 2008
doeman said:
angel999 said:
Asrialys said:
angel999 said:

the series created under SHAFT's supervision is garbage. the story sucks compared to the first series. the only thing that went wrong with the first series however, was the ending (and the shitty anime quality). they screwed it up beyond belief in comparison to the manga. IF negima gets the rights to make a 3rd season, it will be done by SHAFT, but it will follow the story of the original manga. this way, it'll make everyone happy.

furthermore, the Armor cards, Cosplay cards, and Suka cards (Miss cards) were added only to the second series. it was Akiyuki Shinbo and SHAFT's decision to do this, NOT the original creators', Ken Akamatsu.

the 3 new OVA's take place after the first season, which represents the story that took place in Ken Akamatsu's manga. unlike the second series, there is only one Pactio card (or Artifacts) for each girl and each of them can control and use it whenever they please. in the second series, Negi had to cast some sort of spell each time in order for the girls to use their cards.

*Artifact is another term for Pactio card. its used allot in the manga*

one more thing. the Artifacts that the girls can control in the first series and the OVA's are basically the equivalence of the Armor cards represented in the second series. only difference is, they dont need Negi to activate them. Cosplay cards and Suki cards don't exist in the original story.

hope this clears things up =D

YEah clears up a lot of things! ^_^ But also adds more questions. Like why is it that I think the one made by Shaft is way more serious than the first one?
I also wonder if the girls don't need Negi to activate the cards then where is the whole Master-Contract bond? Another thing is I though all the contract he made with girls are temporary because he's not full-fledged like his father.
Will there really be a 3rd Season?
Aug 13, 2008 4:09 AM

Aug 2007
well, Ken Akamatsu's vision of the Negima universe is somewhat light hearted, especially during the beginning. the first season was aired basically to introduce all of the characters with small story telling here and there. what happens *AFTER* the first season, is where Ken Akamatsu's vision of the Negima universe starts to shine. its an incredible story really. you should read the manga. its long and good (and still continuing).

i'm guessing SHAFT and Akiyuki Shinbo wanted to take a more serious approach in order to draw in a bigger audience, but that phailed miserably. i forgot where i saw it but, the statistics on how many people watched the second season of Negima severely dropped with each episode. its just not that enjoyable to watch =/

even though the girls don't need Negi to activate the Artifacts, theres still a bond. one of the functions of the bond is that they are able to communicate with one another telepathically. it happens in the manga. so ya know... even though they don't really need each other... the bond is still there.... somewhat ^_^

honestly, i'm not too sure if whether the contracts are permanent or temporary. i can only vaguely remember when information on the contracts were being revealed. although, i have to say, i don't really recall Negi saying, "i'm not a full-fledged mage yet, so the contracts will be temporary." so in my opinion, i would have to say the contracts are permanent... although i could be wrong >.<

a third season will ONLY appear depending on the sales of the 3 OVA's that are being bundled with specific manga volumes. here's that info in case your curious.

"1. The first OVA will cover chapters 176 and 177 and will be released on August 12, 2008, together with the release of Volume 23 of the manga.
2. The second one will cover chapters 178 to 180 and will have a release date of November 17, 2008, along with the release of Volume 24.
3. The third one will show chapters 182 and 183 and will be out on February 17, 2009 together with Volume 25."
Aug 13, 2008 8:36 AM

Feb 2007
They were saying how 50,000 pre-orders could convince them to do a film, and 100,000 pre-orders could spawn a third series.

http://www.moetron.com/2008/05/24/more-negima-depends-on-ala-alba-sales/

On the official site, I believe that's a counter on the left.
AsrialysAug 13, 2008 9:03 AM
Aug 13, 2008 9:28 AM

Jul 2008
Asrialys said:
They were saying how 50,000 pre-orders could convince them to do a film, and 100,000 pre-orders could spawn a third series.

http://www.moetron.com/2008/05/24/more-negima-depends-on-ala-alba-sales/

On the official site, I believe that's a counter on the left.

Hey, I saw the counter and it's missing less than 18 000 counts for the 3rd Series. A 3rd Season would definitely make me ^_^ I also meant to ask you about how do you buy this boxset cause I went to the sites but no order setup encountered, which means I did not stumble upon the page where you can order this item.So help me and maybe I might up the counter more and also the boxset looks cool man! You get cards with it of the Characters. Maybe even a poster of limited edition.
Aug 13, 2008 10:06 AM

Feb 2007
I know of Amazon and yesasia (global | North America). However, I read that the counter was only counting OVA 1. And it hasn't been updated in a month. Not sure what's going on.

EDIT: yesasia seems to be cheaper by a bit...
AsrialysAug 13, 2008 10:19 AM
Aug 13, 2008 10:32 AM

Jul 2008
a kinda funny method to decide on a third season^^. I really hope it will at least reach 100.000.

Aug 13, 2008 1:07 PM

Aug 2007
holy crap. 80,000+ already? theres definitely gonna be a third season ;-D
Aug 20, 2008 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
doeman said:

"1. The first OVA will cover chapters 176 and 177 and will be released on August 12, 2008, together with the release of Volume 23 of the manga.
2. The second one will cover chapters 178 to 180 and will have a release date of November 17, 2008, along with the release of Volume 24.
3. The third one will show chapters 182 and 183 and will be out on February 17, 2009 together with Volume 25."

for those who didnt read the manga... and those who did, this information is basically useless, cuz those who didnt wont know crap is happening there and for those who did, they just have to look at the preview to understand where the story is set (like me)
so to make things easier for those who didnt read the manga:
the ova takes place after the first season BUT when i say first season, i only mean when they come back from their trip to kyoto (afterwards when asuna died is just crap, not in the manga), and right here (back from kyoto) is the end of volume 6 (manga), then heres some light hearted stuff going on and then one major event (i wont spoil it for those who havent read it) which takes about 1x volumes and finally leads up to the event at the beginning of the 1st ep of the OVA, where negi beats chao (the girl who uses fire spell)
so theres really a giant gap in between

i know its kinda late, but anyways
Aug 21, 2008 12:19 PM

Jul 2008
pcube19622 said:
doeman said:

for those who didnt read the manga... and those who did, this information is basically useless, cuz those who didnt wont know crap is happening there and for those who did, they just have to look at the preview to understand where the story is set (like me)
so to make things easier for those who didnt read the manga:
the ova takes place after the first season BUT when i say first season, i only mean when they come back from their trip to kyoto (afterwards when asuna died is just crap, not in the manga), and right here (back from kyoto) is the end of volume 6 (manga), then heres some light hearted stuff going on and then one major event (i wont spoil it for those who havent read it) which takes about 1x volumes and finally leads up to the event at the beginning of the 1st ep of the OVA, where negi beats chao (the girl who uses fire spell)
so theres really a giant gap in between

i know its kinda late, but anyways

Ok so spell out the beans! For those who have not read mange but saw both seasons of Negima, which chapter we start that tells beginning of this tale that leads Negima to fight Chao?????

Please tell cause I want to read manga but not from beginning. Sry time for me is short.
Aug 21, 2008 12:47 PM

Sep 2007
You should really read it from the beginning since they introduce a character in the Kyoto-arc that gets important later on and they just left him out in the Anime.

Also, please don't say you watched both "seasons". The second series has nothing to do with the original Manga... well, besides the characters of course.
Aug 21, 2008 1:50 PM

Jul 2008
Spade said:
You should really read it from the beginning since they introduce a character in the Kyoto-arc that gets important later on and they just left him out in the Anime.

Also, please don't say you watched both "seasons". The second series has nothing to do with the original Manga... well, besides the characters of course.
Spade said:

Yeah but it's pretty long over 250 chapters???
What's wrong with the one shaft made?? It looked way more serious!
Aug 21, 2008 2:00 PM

Feb 2007
angel999 said:

Ok so spell out the beans! For those who have not read mange but saw both seasons of Negima, which chapter we start that tells beginning of this tale that leads Negima to fight Chao?????

Please tell cause I want to read manga but not from beginning. Sry time for me is short.

lol Get ready to read a lot. If you want the very beginning of the Chao conflict, it's best just to start from the beginning of the school festival altogether. That would be volume 9, Chapter 72. However, I recommend starting from Volume 8, Chapter 63, just to see some of Negi's past and Kotarou's joining of the team. Chao's involvement starts at Chapter 79, by the way.

Seriously, just start from the beginning. If you don't plan on buying anything, just go to OneManga.com. They seem to have all the chapters.

angel999 said:

Yeah but it's pretty long over 250 chapters???
What's wrong with the one shaft made?? It looked way more serious!

There are only 223 so far.

The one SHAFT made has nothing to do with the manga or the current OVA. So knowing about it provides nothing about what they're animating now. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. People are just upset that it didn't follow the manga at all, despite how much material there is for a great anime based on the manga.
Aug 22, 2008 12:36 AM

Sep 2007
Now that I've actually seen the first episode, I can post here without feeling bad. XD

They officially regained my trust. I can't believe I saw an animated version of Negima that was actually good! Now please, forget the fact that you ever made Negima-Anime before and start the thing from scratch. With this OVA, you proved that you can do it if you want, SHAFT. (Well, the first Anime wasn't from SHAFT but they should still pretend that this one never existed either)
Aug 22, 2008 3:04 PM

Jul 2007
For being focused on a not very interesting segment in the manga it was done fairly well ...kudos SHAFT...I'm actually looking forward to the next two releases now ^^
Aug 23, 2008 8:16 AM

Dec 2007
The OVA was great, but they could have made the OP a thousand times better. If they made a new anime series in this, true to the original, style then it would ROCK!

Also thumbs up for using Happy Material GO, the original intro was really good and will forever represent Negima Anime for me.
Aug 24, 2008 11:49 PM

Aug 2007
They could have at least showed the entire Chao/Negi fight...would have actually made watching the whole episode worthwhile. Such a shame that they chose a setup arc rather than an action-filled arc. Oh well I guess I'll just watch this for the Anya and maybe animated fan-service.
Aug 25, 2008 6:25 AM

Mar 2008
The first bit with Negi doing that wind/lightning spell is a win XD

You are seriously not going to get this OVA if you've never seen the manga...

I reckon they should animate the whole Magic Kingdom arc. It would be pretty cool to see Negi owning
Aug 26, 2008 7:52 PM

Jun 2007
Wow that was way to rushed. The whole beginning thing just flew by without at least trying to explain what was going on. I feel bad for the people that are not reading the manga. They probably wont have any idea whats going on lol.

This is only a 3 ep OVA? wtf, so are they gonna end it right when the group makes it into the magic kingdom and have that crazy battle? Kind of seems stupid to me, they should have just made a new complete series :(.
Aug 26, 2008 8:01 PM

Feb 2007
DeathfireD said:
Wow that was way to rushed. The whole beginning thing just flew by without at least trying to explain what was going on. I feel bad for the people that are not reading the manga. They probably wont have any idea whats going on lol.

The DVD was released with the manga volume 23, so they expect their customers to have at least read that far already.

This is only a 3 ep OVA? wtf, so are they gonna end it right when the group makes it into the magic kingdom and have that crazy battle? Kind of seems stupid to me, they should have just made a new complete series :(.

It ends with their flight to London in Chapter 183.

The whole point of this OVA was to gauge how much a new series is wanted. They'll commit to a series if they think it'll make a good enough profit. I can't say I know anything, but the politics of animation can be brutal. 50,000 pre-orders would put a movie into consideration while 100,000 pre-orders would put a third series into consideration. The number of pre-orders isn't really known, but the last count was over 80,000. There haven't been any announcements about the future of the anime though. Although, there seem to be a couple drama CDs for select chapters coming out.
Aug 26, 2008 10:45 PM

Aug 2008
Man this Ova is WAYYYYYYY better than the first series.It follows the manga much better and in my opinion most anime should follow the manga there based off of.Also if anyone has a link for downloading or streaming that second season I would appreciate it if you could post it cuase I cant find it anywhere.
Woot!
Aug 27, 2008 12:52 AM

Jun 2007
Asrialys said:
The DVD was released with the manga volume 23, so they expect their customers to have at least read that far already.

ahh ok that makes more sense then. I thought they just decided to make an Ova based off past chapters and hope newer people would figure it out XD.
Aug 27, 2008 2:36 PM
Aug 2008
I really hope they make a new season or if they really want to be awesome, a whole series!
Aug 31, 2008 9:18 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah!!
I love this Ova :D
Hope the next one's will be as good as this one XD

Sep 1, 2008 11:10 AM

Dec 2007
I just had to make setsuna my new avy!
So bittersweet. More negima, but only ovas :/
Loved this Ova though.
Sep 5, 2008 3:04 PM

Feb 2008
when ist the next comimg out?
Sep 5, 2008 8:14 PM

Feb 2007
LinsletWalker said:
when ist the next comimg out?

November and February.
Sep 10, 2008 9:26 AM
Apr 2008
Just now I finiched the first episode and I say just one word: MESTERPIECE!!! The grapfic it was great and I loved that the characters drawing it's really simillar to the manga.
Sep 25, 2008 8:15 AM

May 2007
And finally they get it, good animation+manga strory, this is the best anime Negima yet. Except for the sporadict begininng going through 4 chapters in 2 minutes, it was very good. I'm not a big Anya fan but who knows about episode 2.

I can't wait to see it dubbed since I like the dub, I just hope somehow they get it realeased in America like in Japan with volumes 23,24, and 25 hopefully Del Ray and Funi can make some deal.
My anime list
Oct 30, 2008 10:33 PM

Sep 2008
Wow, it actually followed the manga. Cant wait for episode 2
Nov 5, 2008 4:46 PM

Nov 2006
^^ Finally, a continuation of the manga. <.< It's a shame they skipped the festival..
Dec 2, 2008 4:18 PM

Jan 2008
since i haven't bothered with ANY of the anime (because they both fail imo), i was glad to finally see something good! i've only watched the natsu ova so yeah. i was so glad to see kotaru-kun moving around! i can't wait to watch the next two =3
Jan 14, 2009 4:17 PM

Aug 2008
I think I'm going to watch this after I finish vol 19 or 20 or Negima!? (Have them at home) I still need to buy 17 @_@ if I watch this before it, it's like a huge spoiler and I wouldn't be able to read my manga is peace! xD

If you know what I mean :P
Jan 15, 2009 10:17 AM

Sep 2008
I lmao off on this episode. 1 Big funny part was when Ayaka attacked Asuna to try to get Asuna's badge, but Asuna totally kicked her ass without even trying.

The other funny part was when Nodoka and Yue were also attacked for their badges, but they got away thx to Yue fast magic casting.

It shows Evangeline is still mean, but hey, u have to kill boredom and she probably enjoyed watching them get attacked.

It says the 2nd episode came out in November, is it subbed yet?
(I'm at my college right now, trying to kill time between class, but can't look on torrent sites right now.)
Jan 22, 2009 5:05 PM

Feb 2008
well the fact that they skipped a lot of stuff kinda sux, in a good way. makes me want to read the manga but i don't think it will be necessary since i can pretty much surmise what is happening. it seems now though that everyone is becoming well versed in magic use that makes it interesting too. i look forward to the other two.
Jun 19, 2009 7:12 AM

Apr 2008
haha ... nice episode ...

Apr 18, 2011 2:41 AM

Nov 2009
This was a very interesting episode, so many hilarious moments.
I have never read the manga before (I know, I know) but I might looking into it sometime later.
Feb 26, 2016 2:26 PM

May 2012
A summer festival episode? Well it was pretty generic, but it wasn't too bad either. Let's see what's next!
Oct 2, 2017 12:47 AM

Dec 2013
This is a weird place to adapt but it was still a fun episode. I did feel a bit bad for the people being left behind.
Mar 24, 2018 2:56 PM

Apr 2013
This was probably the worst episode from Shaft I ever watched. As someone who has only seen the anime it was confusing with new characters and suddenly everyone knows how to use magic. Guess this is only meant for readers of the manga.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Sensei Negima! OVA Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba Episode 3 Discussion

kisami - Mar 8, 2009

34 by commonxreaction »»
Jun 27, 2022 7:16 AM

Poll: » Mahou Sensei Negima! OVA Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba Episode 2 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 16, 2008

33 by commonxreaction »»
Jun 27, 2022 6:31 AM

» Confussion

Arifshirvani - Nov 27, 2009

3 by Setsuna200 »»
Nov 12, 2010 9:06 PM

» Any news on when this really comes out?

DeathfireD - Jul 27, 2008

3 by Asrialys »»
Aug 12, 2008 5:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.