Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2008 12:04 PM

Jul 2008
This came to mind during the endless discussion we are all enjoying concerning the progress/regress of the relationship between Louise and Saito. Has anyone even stopped to consider if there might be a morale violation involved between a mage falling in love with their familiar?

Normally the familiar is an animal or monster of some description that typically does not fit that of a human or even another creature with complex intelligent thought.

We all understand that the two main characters love one another, despite some reucrring issues with trust and misunderstandings. The natural response to two teenagers falling love is that it's fine, so put that thought out of your mind.

Is it OK for a mage to involve themselves in an intimate relationship with their familiar that goes beyond the normal closeness implied in the realities master/familiar relationship?
Kind regards
Sidoen

Aug 8, 2008 2:12 PM
Mar 2008
In Saito and Louise's case yes it's okay. Because although he's a familiar he was still human to begin with and everyone sees that. if he wasn't human but an animal it would be very wrong.
Aug 8, 2008 2:24 PM

May 2007
It's frowned upon as seen in season 2 episode 4. Especially for nobles like the Valliere family. Louise's sister Eleanor knew he's important to her but in the last episode (season 2), she still said "it's just your familiar", referring to him lowly. But hey, Saito was summoned as extraordinary familiar, maybe his level is that of a commoner. He can speak human language (Louise's accidental spell), have the Gandarf rune, fought battles, and lately became a Chevalier. I think everyone pretty much understand the situation at this point.
Aug 8, 2008 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
Hmmm that's a couple of good points, ones I tend to agree with. They deal primarily with social status rather then morale issues I suppose.
Kind regards
Sidoen

Aug 8, 2008 4:41 PM

Jun 2007
I think you mean Moral issues, Morale deals with the general happiness of a group of people like any US Base probably has an MWR Center or a Morale Welfare Recreation Center. Moral issues deals with a person's sense of right and wrong.

Aug 8, 2008 9:49 PM
Aug 2008
ChiBuki said:
It's frowned upon as seen in season 2 episode 4. Especially for nobles like the Valliere family.

The Valliere family has some serious issues, and not just because of social class. Then again, it's pretty realistic how one family member with issues (the blonde-haired buxom one) makes life hell for other family members.

Regardless of whether the familiar is human or not, there's an ethical problem about getting romantically involved with anyone above or beneath you in a chain of command. A familiar is an expendable bodyguard, albeit a valuable one. Commanders who get romantically involved with their bodyguards risk both moral and morale issues if something goes sour. (Legion17 was right, moral is not morale.) This is pretty much the same reason why teachers shouldn't date their students, even if both teacher and student are legally adult: teachers have the duty to command their students in the classroom, and that chain of command shouldn't be compromised.

Edit: In practice, though, this rule is hard to uphold strictly. Men and women in a workplace, or a school, or a battlefield, will tend to have romantic tensions if nothing else. Workers will often choose to date and marry co-workers.
Aug 9, 2008 3:25 AM

Jul 2008
Yes my mistake, it's moral not morale.

I would argue though that the familiar in this world at least is not considered a body guard as much as a life long companion.

Remember that most other familiars summoned by Louise's classmates are not really suitable as protection. The instructor, when the summoning class was being held in Season 1, did refer to them as life long companions which would define who they are.

Saito is the exception in this case obviously and gives us one of the very few examples of a familiar capable of physical defense. However that said I do recognize that we have not truly seen many other familiars in combat.
Kind regards
Sidoen

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~ Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Censored_Vagina - Aug 10, 2008

82 by LadyLeeMing »»
Mar 15, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima ~Princesses no Rondo~ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Sep 21, 2008

218 by Comander-07 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:41 PM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima ~Princesses no Rondo~ Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 8, 2008

64 by Comander-07 »»
Nov 29, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~ Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Aug 25, 2008

91 by Comander-07 »»
Nov 29, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 3, 2008

113 by Comander-07 »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.