Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 8, 2011 7:38 AM
Jan 2009
Play the game first.

Seriously, this anime is enjoyable but they skip stuff, the pacing is weird, change some scenes, add lots of unnecessary humor (Well, not all of it is bad, but for example the ramen delivery in one of Kanji's episodes was.. awkward) etc.

If you've played the game however, the weird pacing won't feel weird and you won't mind that they skip stuff since you already know what's going to happen. I only watch this to see scenes from the game in anime form.

AND.. just an extra, but if you only have ps2/a pc with a ps2 emulator and no psp then play P3 first. It's not necessary but P3 is a very good game but it'll be hard to play it after playing P4 since P4's gameplay is way better. (They improved lots of stuff. The PSP version of P3 has all the changes though)
RyuRobinDec 8, 2011 7:46 AM
Dec 8, 2011 7:41 AM

Apr 2010
Nah, the anime is quite a good adaptation. No need to play the game.
Dec 8, 2011 7:48 AM
Jan 2009
Solkiskey said:
Nah, the anime is quite a good adaptation. No need to play the game.

Depends, it does skip lots of stuff (like the explanation on personas, fusions, TV world glasses etc.) and the pacing IS weird.
And if you've played the game then you probably enjoy it because of that.
I love the anime personally, since I've played the game, but I can still understand it's clearly targeted at the people who have played the game.

I mean like, if someone likes this anime there's no reason for him/her not to play the game anyways. And if someone didn't like this anime they may still enjoy the game.
Dec 8, 2011 8:09 AM

Apr 2010
Persona 4's pacing is weird because it skips moments where you move around and talk to random NPCs and stuff.

If people didn't like the anime, I'm not sure if they'd like the game... as it's basically the same story but with gameplay (i.e, my friend doesn't like Persona 4's story, so I doubt he'd enjoy the game.)
Dec 8, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2011
I know people who HATE playing long JRPGs like Persona 3 and 4, but they're enjoying the anime because the anime does a pretty good job of hitting all the highlights of the game without getting into the tediousness and monotonous grinding of the game.

Not everyone thinks going through a high school schedule, talking to random NPCs and classmates, and doing sidequests (some of which are boring/frustrating) are a good idea. So the anime fits the bill for some of these people.

tl;dr: YMMV on this anime. Some people will drop it because the pacing is awkward for them, the animation quality is too inconsistent, or they preferred how the game told the story compared to the anime. Others will enjoy the anime because they won't mind the pacing or animation quality, and don't have to suffer through the tedium of a 90-100+ hours-long JRPG. Fans of the game like me may appreciate the anime for what it's trying to accomplish, which is tell the story alternately without getting too much in detail or going completely off the rails on a tangent, like Persona -Trinity Soul- tried to do with Persona 3 as its source material.
Dec 8, 2011 11:30 AM
Jan 2009
Solkiskey said:
Persona 4's pacing is weird because it skips moments where you move around and talk to random NPCs and stuff.

If people didn't like the anime, I'm not sure if they'd like the game... as it's basically the same story but with gameplay (i.e, my friend doesn't like Persona 4's story, so I doubt he'd enjoy the game.)

Nope, they combined the 2 tv trips in the first episode and also, the anime is more lighthearted than the game imo (the game wasn't dark until later but the anime still manages to be more lighthearted).
And yeah, like Necrosaro said, "Some people will drop it because the pacing is awkward for them, the animation quality is too inconsistent, or they preferred how the game told the story compared to the anime.".
Dec 11, 2011 8:34 AM
Feb 2009
So a working ps2 emulator exists then? Havent found one yet that works :|.
I'd rather have a PS2 instead though, but I doubt it'll work with my monitor. Nor with me living in Europe. Silly Region locks.
Dec 12, 2011 7:32 PM

Jan 2008
I'd rather have a PS2 instead though, but I doubt it'll work with my monitor. Nor with me living in Europe. Silly Region locks.

What you don't have P3/4 europe version? I'm pretty sure i've seen it at a store shelf (and I live in the very center of Europe ;P).
But yea you need a powerhouse of a pc to have a decent ps2 emulator.
I'd love to up mine so that it could handle it since I have a vast library of games on ps2 (about 100 titles) but since my old ps2 is fried now playing is kinda out of question.
The good thing though is that you can buy a ps2 for laughable money these days.

The thing about those rpgs is that they are really long and you must be the kind of person that does not wear over the course of gamplay. I remember playing over 150 or even 200 hours with some old jrpgs and even though I enjoyed them I still needed to take a break sometimes (mainly when grinding was involved) and for example (thats not an old game but w/e) I still haven't finished Resonance of Fate even though I love the story just because there is a lot of grinding to do (arena ftw).
So I guess what I'm sayin is - if you don't want to use up 200 hours of your life just watch the anime ;p
Dec 26, 2011 5:51 PM

Oct 2011
So reading all of this, I'll be missing a bit of info about the story in the anime? I'd love to play the game but money is an issue... Should I just skip this adaptation or give it a shot?
I'm confused. I can't decide ._.
Dec 26, 2011 5:58 PM

Dec 2010
CrimsonLight said:
So reading all of this, I'll be missing a bit of info about the story in the anime? I'd love to play the game but money is an issue... Should I just skip this adaptation or give it a shot?

Play the game. I've counted four critical moments they missed out on to build momentum for the murder case. They're insignificant, but story-compelled individuals like me will be less forgiving.

Also yes the pacing is weird, and it is especially speedy. In fact they're halfway through, and the only reprise I see to this is 'filler/social link' episodes or for them to do all the endings. (Downer included.)
Dec 26, 2011 11:41 PM

Jul 2009
CrimsonLight said:

Naturally, because it is a very long game- even if you take away the time spent on dungeon crawling and running around doing sidequests and minigames- there have been things cut out. Most notably, so far, large parts of the interactions with many characters (which they might come back to, who knows) and a few scenes that, while not extremely important, have quite a bit of character building.

The pacing is speedy and choppy in the anime, but I can see why; half way through at 12 episodes seems about right to me, if we assume that this is going to be the typical 26 episodes.

In short: if you want everything, play the game. It's pretty inexpensive nowadays, but if you're lacking a working PS2, the cost will creep up. However, if you're okay with missing out on stuff that isn't related to the main plot (and a couple of things that are), the anime is fine.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Dec 29, 2011 6:31 PM

Feb 2009
Insomnium said:

I've used pcsx2 for Persona 3 and 4, SMT Nocturne, DDS 1+2, both Raidou games, with only one issue ever which was easily solved (got stuck in the Shijima building because while I could run up to one of the ladders I never got the "press x to descend" option. One setting changed in the emulator and it was fixed, though) It seems ATLUS games generally work well with emulators, both SMT Strange Journey and Devil Survivor work fine on a DS emulator, and of course SMT 1 and 2 work on SNES emulators, the only problem you run into there are bugs from the English translation patch. You will need a halfway decent PC to emulate the PS2 at any reasonable speed, though. I was about ready to buy a PS2 until I figured it out, though. No way I wasn't finishing Nocturne. Even after playing through all 4 main series SMT games it's still my favorite.

Werchiel said:

So I guess what I'm sayin is - if you don't want to use up 200 hours of your life just watch the anime ;p

Even assuming you want to finish every single social link (not required) and fuse ultimate personas for each arcana (definitely not required) you can still finish Persona 4 in well under that time, under 100 hours easily. If you're just going through social links you're interested in and battling just enough to be able to beat the bosses (aka not grinding, grinding is usually never needed in SMT games as long as you play smart and use fusions well, you should generally be able to get to the end of each boss's lair in 1 or 2 runs/days most of the time) and get the main storyline, it shouldn't take more than like 50-60 hours.

So if you only want to play for the story and characters thats entirely possible and you can put a minimal focus on combat because doing the right fusions lets you have all your bases covered even if you're a little underleveled, and SMT has always put more focus on skills and resistances than actual level.

One of the best demons in Nocturne, Daisoujou (I think summonable in Persona 4 too, but not with the same skillset unfortunately) you can get pretty early, and keep him for like 20 or 30 levels, and he's still useful when you and your other demons have outleveled him by quite a bit, because he has a great skillset (drain skill that can be buffed with makakaja, Prayer (which is basically mediarahan + cures all ailments) plus if you fuse him right or use mitama fusion you can get other high powered skills on him pretty early, too, like Debilitate. Buffs/debuffs stack in Nocturne up to a limit so if you use makakaja to buff up magic he becomes completely hax. He can debuff with Debilitate(equivalent of using tarunda, rakunda, sukunda, simultaneously) heal your whole team and cure ailments, and drain pretty decent amounts of health and mana from an enemy with a skill that costs only a fraction of that to use.

It took me around 60 hours to finish Persona 4 I think, but I didn't really do everything, I just concentrated on the social links I felt like doing and fought my way through bosses as soon as I had the chance. I'm sure it's possible to spend over 100 hours, I've spent like 120 on 1 playthrough in Nocturne, and I think about 90 hours to finish one playthrough in Strange Journey, but they are harder games to begin with and I went out of my way to do all the extra stuff (get every Magatama including the completely hax one, do everything in the Amala Labyrinth, etc) in Nocturne, and did a lot of side quests in Strange journey, though.
JOHJDec 29, 2011 7:02 PM
May 9, 2019 1:38 AM

Jul 2013
yes this applies to all anime that adapted from game..

since they have limited budget and time for anime, skipped scenes is unavoidable

especially last episode is very confusing
A Weeb that watched too much anime. I am also a responsive person so I will respond to each of your posts, messages, or requests.
May 25, 2020 7:54 PM

Oct 2017
The game is better and more detailed but the anime is honestly a really good adaptation that captures the story and characters & atmosphere well..which is quite rare
Jun 10, 2020 1:17 PM

Apr 2020
Aardwolf94 said:
The game is better and more detailed but the anime is honestly a really good adaptation that captures the story and characters & atmosphere well..which is quite rare

The game will always be better but I think this is a good adaptation. A shame though that the romance part of the game isn't included.
Jun 10, 2020 1:30 PM

Oct 2017
RiceKnight59 said:
Aardwolf94 said:

The game will always be better but I think this is a good adaptation. A shame though that the romance part of the game isn't included.

They probably didn't do that because they didn't want to piss players off by making any of the girls the "canon" one.

Its the same for the other Persona anime.
Jul 14, 2020 9:44 PM
Jan 2014
I don't know, I think watching the anime saves me the trouble of playing the game considering I'm not a fan of the JRPG turn-based combat.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.