Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 2, 2011 9:36 AM

Jun 2011
This episode was amazing!! Taichi is so cute, but I prefer Arata. u.u
Dec 3, 2011 12:22 PM

May 2009
I really don't get this "I hate Chihaya because she doesn't see how much Taichi loves her bah blah blah!" because, honestly, Chihaya just doesn't see him that way (YET(?), and the manga actually drags Taichi's onesided affections on and on). Can you blame her when someone as clueless as her only sees Taichi as a best friend, and to HER KNOWLEDGE, has a girlfriend? Can you really blame anyone for not reciprocating feelings? Sure, maybe, Taichi will finally have the guts to confess, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Because face it, while the three of them definitely have a bond, Chihaya is more drawn to Arata. He was the reason she found a dream for herself and inspired her love of the game. His influence over her is overwhelming. I mean, look at how she reacts to anything regarding Arata. Even a small thing like an indirect text message for her garners a stronger reaction from Chihaya, trumping (once again) whatever Taichi pulled.

I'm not saying Taichi doesn't have a chance. He has the advantage of proximity after all, but his biggest obstacle is Chihaya, and to whether or not he can get her to focus on HIM.

The way I see it, the "triangle" won't be resolved in the series. But for the case of the manga, the non-karuta-related question is whether Chihaya can see Taichi as more than a friend or will she finally recognize her attraction to Arata as something deeper?
Dec 3, 2011 12:24 PM

Feb 2010
amazing show is amazing.
"you shouldn't be running into a boys room like that..."
he's got da p0rn yo. jk.... ;)

the newbies are spent... don't blame them!.. but it's working!

Love how they're all riled up at the end & b-day cake :)

I love the tension at the end.... rawr.
...now gimme some Arata!
MusashiRoseDec 3, 2011 12:27 PM
Dec 3, 2011 12:28 PM
Aug 2011
I FREAKING LOVE TAICHIIII! DARN HE IS SO CUTEE =)
Dec 3, 2011 12:53 PM

Dec 2009
keeetz said:

my heartstrings.

;__;
same here
Dec 3, 2011 4:15 PM

Jun 2008
That ending broke my heart. I wonder how many shows had my heart broken with these kind of characters like Taichi ;__;

Either way, this episode is great! I like the built up and it makes me want to see the karuta tournament soon! And I want to see Arata as well!
Dec 4, 2011 2:20 AM

Apr 2008
"Mashima. For the first time in my life, I feel like we live in a class society" Lol! But really want to hug Taichi!!!!! Also hoping we'll see some of Arata too, flashbacks excluded!
Dec 4, 2011 4:25 AM

Jan 2008
Mimiko said:
That ending broke my heart. I wonder how many shows had my heart broken with these kind of characters like Taichi ;__;

ditto. Unrequited love has a spot in my heart.

Aw, poor Taichi. Great music and atmosphere as usual.
LieilaDec 4, 2011 4:58 AM
Dec 4, 2011 10:57 AM

Aug 2007
The last few minutes of the episode made it for me. I loved the little shoujo moment. I can't wait til Arata shows up
Dec 4, 2011 5:12 PM

May 2008
bakuramariks said:
Very good episode.
And Taichi was about to give me a heart attack when he ate the cake in Chi's spoon xD.
It was so cute.
I'm so rooting for Chihaya to end up with him.
Nice one, Arata :).

^ I second this. I like Arata, but he's just too gloomy for my taste. Plus It's obvious Taichi likes Chihaya, while Arata seems very nonchalant towards Chihaya, like he only likes her love for Karuto....I dunno just babbeling here. Anyway, I really want Chihaya and Taichi to end together without Arata or anyone else coming before him.

Dec 4, 2011 10:29 PM

Jan 2010
The animation quality dropped drastically this episode. Still frames, lots of panning, and awkward pauses between scenes were everywhere. Still, this episode has firmly cemented me on the Taichi camp. He's simply the best character in the show right now.
Dec 5, 2011 12:00 PM

Sep 2010
Oh man my emotions. Taichi and Chihaya moments are absolutely killing me... that part at the end when he ate off her spoon almost made my heart stop! I so badly want him to confess to her.
Dec 6, 2011 4:05 PM

Feb 2009
Taichi acts really cute. I was all for Arata the first few episodes but I had a change of heart.
Dec 7, 2011 7:13 PM

Apr 2009
It's shipping war time.

slkdfjlsSDLKFJSL CAN'T CHOOSE.
Dec 8, 2011 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
It probably won't happen, but I really want Taichi to get Chihaya т__т The scene with spoon+cake was so sad.. it's like he stole one last moment with her before Arata "interrupted" >_< I love Taichi. I mean he could've ignored the message because it obviously reduced his own chances, but... damn. If he doesn't end up with Chihaya, i hope there'll at least be a worthy girl for him ;_;
Dec 10, 2011 7:44 PM

Aug 2009
:O It seems like Chihaya is finally paying some attention to Taichi! From how she reacted to him grabbing her hand, and at the end to him stealing her last bit of cake... ♥ Go Taichi! XD
Dec 11, 2011 3:30 PM
May 2009
Taichi can't make a move on Chihaya because he would betray Arata then (and he has done that once in the past). Arata can't make a move because that would make it fair game to Taichi to go after Chihaya.
Hence Arata makes an indirect move and sends the message to Taichi's phone and thus Taichi replies by stealing an indirect kiss from Chihaya.
Our stunning Beauty In Vain is naturally completely oblivious to this.
Dec 13, 2011 11:41 AM

Nov 2010
So far i loved every episode.

this one was a great episode too.
Dec 13, 2011 8:39 PM

Feb 2008
hell yeah....

i hate taichi.if she ends up with him i will rage.
Dec 28, 2011 7:09 PM

Nov 2008
My heart hurt when Taichi got that message, and Chihaya's reaction to a mere message from Arata only made my heart hurt even more for Taichi....

Its obvious he was hurt, and I'm hating her right now..just right now...for a little bit...until I calm down.

Its gonna hurt me if he doesn't end up with her.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Dec 29, 2011 7:29 PM

Mar 2011
GOOD GOD MAN, I THOUGHT ARATA DIED OR SOMETHING WHEN HE GOT THAT MSSG. Cut the music, and the imfamous wind really creeped me. I feel for Taichi though, I really do. I'm happy to find an honest anime though, rather than all the unnecessary lying and drama with the misunderstandings and all.

More Arata though...please<3
Dec 30, 2011 4:55 AM
Nov 2011
I honestly don't think Arata has anything more than friendship in mind for Chihaya. i think his focus on Kurata at the time likely kept him from really thinking about such things. The guy was clearly obsessed.

I didnt like young Taichi either, but he's grown a lot in the series. I actually feel that Chiahaya may not end up with anyone.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 3, 2012 11:21 AM

Jul 2009
Totally knew there'd be a tournament :P Training camp? Sounds like Saki to me lol XD
Nice to see Taichi's house and TAICHI IS AWESOME ;3 Planning that birthday party and oh my goodness but then THAT MOMENT but then Arata ruined it with that message of course ... D: Derp but come on even Chihaya's got to realize it by now right?! D; Aweh, Taichi's definitely my favourite character right now :3
Oh but forgot to say that the animation looked a little off at times ... lulz o_O
Jan 4, 2012 1:05 AM

Sep 2010
Chihaya is certainly the least irritating anime heroine, but she is so clueless! Poor Taichi...
Mar 5, 2012 3:09 PM

Sep 2011
Haven't seen an episode of Chihayafuru for quite some time and it's good to see that the series is still going strong. Definitely the best anime of the autumn season 2011.

I can't understand the hate for Chihaya at all. Her cluelessness for the people around her is pretty funny to watch. Similar to
Mar 23, 2012 2:42 AM

Jun 2011
I like Taichi as Chihaya's friend but I prefer ChihayaxArata :D But there's too many TaichixChihaya scene in this episode, the one Taichi asked Chihaya not to anyhow go into a boy's room, and the cake part..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 5, 2012 1:21 AM

Sep 2011
The ending was so cute, I feel so bad for Taichi. I feel he doesn't stand a chance against Arata but maybe I'm wrong, who knows? :(
Apr 7, 2012 4:13 PM

Aug 2010
Yeah poor Taichi. No chance against Arata.
Apr 30, 2012 3:33 AM

Mar 2009
Taichi's reaction when he got the message was quite dramatic.
May 11, 2012 12:39 PM

Nov 2007
WTH?! Why does Taichi have to be so damn HOT????!!! LOL. His moves in this episodes were GAHHHHH! Total Love! GRRRRR! Even though I like Arata, I think Taichi has become equal with him. WTH?!! Haha. TORN~~!! Hoho.

I liked his move when he ate the cake of Chihaya, but weeeew.... its totally obvious here that Chihaya is happier when he saw the text message of Arata..
May 22, 2012 11:49 AM

Sep 2009
Whoa Mashima... kakkoi na~
Jun 29, 2012 10:00 AM

Aug 2009
Chihaya was being a bit too hard on the newbies... Great episode nonetheless.
Jul 14, 2012 2:09 PM
Jan 2012
Such a good episode yet again. Was actually happy when Arata messaged Taichi to wish Chihaya a happy birthday!
Aug 9, 2012 10:13 PM

Nov 2011
Aw man, Arata doesn't deserve her >=(.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Sep 3, 2012 10:50 AM

Aug 2011
Taichi is Arata's bitch.
Dec 17, 2012 1:35 PM
Jun 2012
Taichi and Chihaya better end up together!! :)

Good episode, I probably think that it's the best episode yet.
Jan 30, 2013 7:35 PM

Jul 2009
finally the club is now official form :D

Kana and Desk-Kun training is hard as hell O____O

already training at such a high level despite being begginners themselves.

Taichi's house is freaking awesome!!!

Taichi and Chihaya!!!!

i never knew Chihaya can sense Taichi's mom nearby XD

don't be sad Chihaya :(

lol that bear is such a troll XD

Happy 16th Birthday Chihaya!!!!

don't cry, just smile!!!!

i actually thought Taichi was rejected by her girlfriend out of nowhere, that's why he ate the cake in front of Chihaya without hesitation :P

it's a shame Taichi has to face all of that :(

i mean he did prepared all of this for sure and wanted to surprise her.

despite all of that Chihaya still thinks of Arata :(

come on Taichi, despite hating you in the first few episodes, im starting to like you more than Arata.

you can do it go for it!!!!!!!!

don't give up so easily!

the next episodes will be getting much more intense as more love comes in :)
Mar 15, 2013 9:22 AM

Mar 2012
FFF the end of this episode almost made me cry ;w;
Mar 18, 2013 6:07 AM

Aug 2010
Okay now i'm starting to feel sad for Taichi... He looks so sad and shocked after seeing the message from arata! And he seems to have like Chihaya even when they were still in primary six! I really dont know who to root for - arata or taichi who is always around chihaya? But it sure looks to me that in Chihaya's heart is Arata..
Apr 18, 2013 12:49 AM

Aug 2012
This anime has one purpose and that is to make you cry rofl
May 13, 2013 6:01 PM

Jan 2013
Acropyre said:
This anime has one purpose and that is to make you cry rofl

No it doesn't. Cant make me cry
Jun 15, 2013 10:40 PM

Sep 2011
Dem feelings at the end.
Jul 2, 2013 9:56 AM

May 2012
That ending was the best! Really touching to be honest! Her hearing capability does still amaze me but well this episode was great as well, some awesome matches with a great conclusion!
Jul 15, 2013 11:31 PM

Nov 2007
What the heck, people hating on Chihaya just because she's oblivious. It's not like Taichi has gone out and said he likes her anyway (yet).

I like Taichi a lot, but I'm finding myself siding with Arata x Chihaya more at the moment. There's a connection between souls thing going on with Arata and Chihaya that Taichi can't compete with. People are siding with Taichi because they feel sorry for him, but in the end one unrequited love isn't the end of the world. It might be a better character development for him to move on from this, although it's not that I don't want them together.

Whether Taichi ends up with Chihaya or not, I rather he play karuta because he really likes it on its own, not because Chihaya plays it. I think he started to do that when he won the match against her. Because that's what will actually get him closer to Chihaya.

There's another series with a similar heroine who is absolutely obsessed with acting and it also had two guys vying for her love. One was perfectly nice to her but in the end he couldn't catch up with her passion in acting. He couldn't deal with the fact that acting is the biggest passion in her life and with little space for him. The other one understood just how important acting is to her and was the person who kept pushing her to be better. Taichi is a lot better at this than that guy, so he has more chances, but he needs to become really, really passionate about karuta if he wants to get Chihaya's affection. :P
Aug 9, 2013 8:53 PM
Jan 2013
Argh! Man, I know just how Taicih feels, because I'm feeling the same things as a viewer: every times Taichi is about to get closer to Chihaya, Arata pokes his head into the conversation.
Taicih almost didn't show it to her. He was about to close the phone when she spoke to him.
He's fallen for her hard, and she only has eyes for the game and the guy who isn't there.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Aug 13, 2013 9:05 AM
Mar 2013
Lol girlfriend just like doesn't exist anymore. Taichi has really cute moment with Chihaya and then Aratroll comes and takes the cake. Well technically Taichi took it, but Arata's message overshadowed it ;n; Amazing episode.
Aug 27, 2013 9:12 PM

Mar 2012
meh....all this show is is a clone of Haruhi Suzumiya, only difference is its based on karuta and has I suppose somewhat of a love triangle

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Sep 9, 2013 6:12 PM

Jan 2013
The interactions are very simple between the characters but I think that's what makes them very sweet. I can't get enough of that ED fade in as well. Also alternate verse this time!
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Oct 26, 2013 4:29 AM

Mar 2013
I totally ship Taichi with Chihaya now c:
Dec 31, 2013 3:45 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Plot pretty, told in an exciting way. The snow seems to melt and perhaps will come the Spring? Who knows ...! ^ _ ^
Good mix shown in this narrative, much praise to the OST and drawings. Good job also by the main characters
The mother and sister of Taichi, seem to be two with the arrogance, will not you? ^ ^ "
Pleasing scenarios and designs!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2012

232 by Euroqean »»
Feb 10, 2:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.