Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 1, 2008 9:24 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Are you kidding? The ending just trailed off. The producers had no idea how to end it. I liked the series, but that ending was pathetic. I guess there''s always the manga...
Aug 1, 2008 11:16 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah, the ending does suck. Definitely check out the manga because it gets even crazier.
Aug 2, 2008 1:20 PM

May 2008
Yeah, I feel a bit let down by the anime ending too. There were some bits in the series that felt good, so I'm going to check out the manga and see if it has the same vibe ..

The anime version seemed to rush the story and the ending was premature. Maybe they'll do a third season based on the manga and pretend that season 2 ending never happened :)
Aug 6, 2008 7:48 PM
Jul 2008
It seemed kind of incomplete. There could have been a better way to approach the ending. I think I'd like a third season, but if they do make one, hopefully it'll be better made.
Aug 8, 2008 2:39 PM

Jul 2008
JTSlayer said:
Yeah, the ending does suck. Definitely check out the manga because it gets even crazier.

yep right more details i assure u
Aug 31, 2008 9:25 AM

Apr 2008
D: I don't know... I liked it. It was a happy ending...
Or that's what I thought...
Nov 5, 2008 12:32 AM

Jul 2007
Quite dissapointed with the ending, seems incomplete, but overall it's a quite nice series, i hope there's a third season ;P
Nov 11, 2008 1:30 PM
Jul 2007
the ending was horrible, it was a let down to the rest of the series.
Nov 13, 2008 2:57 PM

Aug 2007
I watched this despite the low ranking (I usually go for the 8.0+) and I was very, very pleased initially. I really wanted something to happen on the romance side tho.... but what the hell is up with that ending. It's even more screwed up than Berserk.... Actually, Berserk is freakier....
Nov 17, 2008 12:22 PM
Jul 2008
EmilyWeir said:
Quite dissapointed with the ending, seems incomplete, but overall it's a quite nice series, i hope there's a third season ;P

If there's a third season, my mind would explode. I'd be happy but frustrated at the same time, haha. It's just that after catching up with the manga, I don't see how the series could run.
Dec 6, 2008 2:00 PM

Mar 2008
The storyline is great, the beginning season and half of the second season where good, then gantz started killing off the main characters and it went down hill from there. Even at the last "trail" they could have saved it but instead they pull this shitty ending out of their asses. If it wasn't for the last episode this series' score would have been much higher. In order to do a 3rd season they would have to pretend the last few episodes of the 2nd didn't happen. It is unlikely that they will do another season. Does anyone know where about these 2nd season ended in the magna I want to see how this was suppose to turn out.
Dec 8, 2008 6:02 AM

Nov 2007
Wait, what?
Jan 4, 2009 10:35 AM

Dec 2008
I just watched the last episode, and had "confused" tattooed on my forehead.

Can someone please explain to me what happened?

The girl dies at the end (...sigh), and kei reaches 100 points or something?
I don't get the train part, let alone BANG...

Anyone?
Jan 14, 2009 3:32 PM

Jan 2009
None of you people seem to understand it. It made perfect sense, you cant just look at it so shallowly. Its a very deep and psychological show. Whether or not Kei lived is not the point. What was the point, in short, was that he proved to Gantz that humans arent all horrible beings - thus defeating eat. You could say that Gantz is a bitter nemesis that only sees evil in this universe. Kei, showing and proving in the end that thats not true for all beings, proves gantz wrong, even though he wants to be right. He doesnt want Kei to succeed, as you can tell from him trying to kill Kei with those insane guys. When the one with the bombs dies and Kei lives Gantz says "shit". As if he doesnt want to be proven wrong.

There is however a lot more depth in the show that goes overlooked. I think in these ways its similar to FLCL. When people watch it, they expect it all to be told to them at face value without having to think. So the people who dont or want to do that or simply cant grasp the complexity's of the shows say they "suck". Which is fine, since it's your opinion and you have a "right" to it. However, i disagree, Gantz does not suck, its one of the best.
Jan 14, 2009 3:41 PM

Jul 2007
A lot of people don't take those elements seriously because they were added by Gonzo; they were never in the manga. I was inspired myself by the complexities, though. And as I've said before about these kinds of things, it depends on how you see it when you make these comments, not on how it was meant to be seen.
asandariJan 14, 2009 3:53 PM
Jan 15, 2009 7:23 AM

Dec 2008
I watched the show for the characters and the relationships they had.
And how they tried to survive together.

I couldn't care less about the battle of Kei vs Gantz. It doesn't speak or do anything, for me, it had no value whatsoever.
So if all characters die, and Kei is left all alone, the only reason I watched the show is gone.

So based on the person I am, and the things I like, I hated the show.
Of course, this doesn't mean I'm just not the type for this kind of genre.

I guess you just hate it, or you love it.
Feb 15, 2009 7:33 PM

Aug 2008
This episode was good up until the train station obviously >_>. I think they did a great job showing a more realistic side of people (in my opinion). If someone gave me a gun and said go out and kill these people I would be kind of hesitant, so the standing around talking and thinking, although annoying, felt more real to me. And it makes it much more gratifying when they finally snap and kick the shit out of people :). Awesome show :D
Apr 10, 2009 9:48 PM

Oct 2008
What? That's it? That's all that was in my mind as I watched the ending at the train station. Such an incomplete ending that trailed off at the very end. There was nothing definite, nothing concrete at the end.

And unlike Berserk's incomplete ending that made me wonder what happened next, the way Gantz's ending is done only turns me off. I just don't feel the urge to go and read the manga. I guess this sort of ending is more or less inevitable if the past few episodes were anime only and were not part of the manga storyline.

I agree with what Rail_Man said about Gantz only seeing the Evil in people and in humanity. A lot of the characters in this anime really show the shit in people, in humanity and in society in general.

The ending of this series is a letdown for me, compared to the anticipation, intrigue and excitement I felt when I saw the 1st episode of the 1st season.
May 3, 2009 9:34 AM

Oct 2008
I enjoyed this series, but this end was a pretty big letdown. I was pretty annoyed when they killed of every other main character and in particular, i think Sei could have been a good character if she had more screen time. I also liked seeing them try to survive together and even though I liked Kei's transformation throughout the anime, i wasn't happy with just him being alive and then finally seemingly dying.

I did like how the end tied everything back to Kei's death saving the guy on the tracks and how the new girl got the book from Sei though.
Jun 7, 2009 8:27 AM

Jan 2009
The idea of the last mission was incredible. People managed to get killed even without aliens, just like Nozaki the blond kid said It's people we should be afraid of or be careful with, not Gantz.
It was kind of hard watching, you manage to connect with a character for about a second before it disappears from the whole story, you keep hanging in the air, trying not to get too much into it, because everybody die and then nothing's left.
Jun 10, 2009 12:43 PM
Aug 2008
Can anyone tell me what happened in the end? Because I didnt understand ending at all. What happened then he got teleported to train station and was shouting " I'll never die. Bang! " or something like that. Because anime ended here, and I really want to know what happened to him. And did someone survive or got revived? How many points he got?
Jun 20, 2009 11:12 AM

May 2009
They should just have left the series with the manga so they could continue it when they had more money or time idk
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 9, 2009 1:05 PM
May 2009
Freakin awesome anime the ending watev ill read the manga
Aug 9, 2009 11:53 PM

Jul 2009
i didnt liked it r.r
i expected a lot more T_T
Aug 9, 2009 11:59 PM

Apr 2009
d'oh, just read the manga -_-
Aug 12, 2009 6:34 PM
Aug 2008
smokes said:
d'oh, just read the manga -_-

Not everyone reads manga like you, smartass.
Aug 28, 2009 5:13 PM
Aug 2009
Rail_man Thanks.
I completely was missing the point of the last episode. I knew there was an underlying meaning to it but couldn't figure it out. There's always an underlying meaning with good anime.

I enjoyed the entire series granted the death of the other characters hit me hard.
I truly hope there is a 3rd season with Kurono in it. That guy was interesting.

Hey is Kurono still in the manga? I've come across it but I haven't the time to read it, its too many chapters. Everyone says its cool so I hope you're all right
Sep 28, 2009 5:28 AM

Feb 2008
No one noticed the Cowboy Bebop reference? Tsk. I could be wrong but

(Major
for Cowboy Bebop)

Still, I didn't expect that ending. They should have just left it open for a third series. After all, shows like these don't come along too often. I wish I could read the manga online, but it's such a bloody chore =(

Btw you guys, if any of you liked the showing of 'the dark side of humanity' aspect of Gantz, I recommend you watch 'Kaiji'. You will be no doubt impressed.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Kaiji]http://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Kaiji
Oh and if you want a good ending, stop watching after episode 22.
ArcAne77Sep 28, 2009 5:32 AM
Oct 6, 2009 4:13 PM
Jan 2009
I suppose the one thing I'll never understand is why they couldn't climb back up onto the Subway platform. I also found it amusing that he decided to carry the dead girl on his back down onto the train tracks with him (nice job, hero! lol).

I found the first 25 episodes to be very enjoyable but the finale really dragged it down. Especially with that psycho brat going all emotional for fifteen minutes and then an unexplained ending. Le sigh.
Oct 25, 2009 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
Rail_Man said:
What was the point, in short, was that he proved to Gantz that humans arent all horrible beings - thus defeating eat. You could say that Gantz is a bitter nemesis that only sees evil in this universe. Kei, showing and proving in the end that thats not true for all beings, proves gantz wrong, even though he wants to be right. He doesnt want Kei to succeed, as you can tell from him trying to kill Kei with those insane guys. When the one with the bombs dies and Kei lives Gantz says "shit". As if he doesnt want to be proven wrong.

i'm just saying this frm watching the anime and not wantin to compare with its manga,

i think Gantz is the machine/being that reflects on us of what we have all become now as a society and people, just following orders frm other people above us and doing what they want us to do without lookin at our self conciousness. for eg, gantz here is the superior power that orders the characters to go and kill some being they've never known or had anything to do with, and they kil these aliens that were just livin peacefully, simply mindin their own business. in the last parts of the final episode, the boy makes refernce to the wars that governments(probably US) were making and sending troops to fight against 'enemies' at diff parts of the world who the soldiers had nothin to do with. so, in the end, Kei realises himself being used and decides not to follow what Gantz tells him to do and not kill anyone anymore.

my view may be too morally depicting but i think this anime deals with more military themes like loss of friends and teammates in battle, etc.
Nov 10, 2009 6:30 PM

Feb 2008
I think this was simply a show of how survival takes over all sense of morality in humans when faced with the challenge. It was fascinating to see how the characters reacted, albeit stereotyped ones. (The only ones that really pissed me off were the Grandmother and her bratty grandson from Season 1. GAHH =.=) Also the whole time, I couldn't help think of Gantz as a God over this little isolated world he created. If you think of this entire anime as an example of instinct over everything-that-makes-one-human and the sadistic experiments of Gantz, then it fits the bill perfectly.
I really enjoyed it but even if the end is a psychological thing, I can't say I like it. I want to continue - can anyone tell me which chapter in the manga the anime ends at? Thanks.

Jan 4, 2010 2:13 PM

Jul 2009
In terms of character ending and development the ending truly sucked, all the previous major characters was already dead. And then the 7 "new" characters he manages to form some sort of relations with gets killed off one by one and again leaving him all alone at the very end.
And everything finishes with a totally lame as piston gesture and the word "bang"...

Though since there is actually a deeper moral and philosophical meaning behind everything the ending it's not all that bad.

Which is one thing I think this anime displays very well, society is corrupt and in order to survive you must be prepared to step on others. The less you care about other people the greater are your chances of personal success.
Jan 5, 2010 8:24 PM

May 2009
it can't end like this?! from which chapter should I start reading the manga?! hurry answer someone
Jan 5, 2010 9:16 PM

Feb 2008
@njasis - I found out the anime ends around middle of volume 8. That last arc of the anime is out of order, so it comes much later in the manga, but otherwise it's exactly the same and I don't think you miss much by skipping the first few volumes.

Jan 5, 2010 9:24 PM

Jan 2010
It ended just when it started to get good! Kei Kurono is a total badass now!
Feb 2, 2010 10:13 PM
Nov 2006
I was disappointed at the ending, but loved the showed and I was annoyed to see all kei's 'gf's die...especially the purple haired girl - I forget her name, had reserved the book.

I want to read the manga but I don't think it's available online for free :(
Feb 3, 2010 12:42 AM
Dec 2009
I trying to figure out the disappointed ending and came here and read all the comments. Rail_Man's quote made sense. I knew this lame ending had a meaning. I wished it would continue more. I heard the live action movie is coming out in 2011. I'm going to start reading the manga online, but i hate readin
Feb 8, 2010 4:46 PM

Oct 2009
What??? Ending totally sucks.. first i was pissed of bcoz Kei x Kato both died.. :'( and that bastard Kurono alone survived.. but somehow i managed to calm my self.. :) but in the end.. wtf...

Galactimus said:
I suppose the one thing I'll never understand is why they couldn't climb back up onto the Subway platform.

LOLZZZ.. thats the thing i also dont understand from the very begining.. they run 5 minutes and then train hit them but how they didnt climb on subway platform.

when they saved that homeless, train should come right after and they didnt get any chance to climb on subway or for running then it make sense but wtf they run 5 minutes but didnt climb.. it wasnt that high.. even if it was, people can help them in the time they spent in running...

Can someone tell me.. in manga only kurono is alive or all 3.. kishimoto and kato also?
DxC3iFeb 8, 2010 4:50 PM
Feb 9, 2010 6:33 PM

Feb 2010
If Kurono and Kato survived the subway then... no story lol.

Sahil said:
Can someone tell me.. in manga only kurono is alive or all 3.. kishimoto and kato also?

Anyways spoilers.

I suggest you read the manga if you haven't started already. Lots of action, and there are more characters that you will probably like.
Feb 18, 2010 1:27 PM

May 2009
This just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It felt like an uncomplete ending, not satisfying at all.
I didn't really enjoy this anime, but I think I at least liked this season a little bit more than the first. The plot was uninteresting (what plot?!), characters were too damn annoying and the pacing was slow. The animation/art and soundtrack were okay.
Feb 22, 2010 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
For those of you who want to know, here is a bit of information to help you out.

Everything in Season 2 was pretty accurate to the manga up until episode 10.

In other words, the first 9 episodes ALL correspond to the manga, the final 4 episodes are all (ANIME ONLY), made up by the production studio.

For those who want to read the manga after seeing the Gantz anime series they leave off on Chapter 91, right after Kei Kurono goes to visit the "other" Kishimoto.
Mar 26, 2010 9:29 PM

Mar 2010
I found this series to be quite annoying. All I was thinking the entire series was "quit standing around and just f**king shoot already." Nothing ever got done. It was very aggravating it felt more like I had to watch than I wanted to.
Apr 6, 2010 9:58 PM

Oct 2008
...what a crap ending. T__T
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 19, 2010 6:19 PM

Mar 2010
Jackster27 said:
I found this series to be quite annoying. All I was thinking the entire series was "quit standing around and just f**king shoot already." Nothing ever got done. It was very aggravating it felt more like I had to watch than I wanted to.

Although I quite enjoyed the concepts and action of the anime, the stnading around was what killed it for me. Especially during the second season when they spent around eight episodes fighting those statues, I lost my liking for it altogether.
Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon!
Jul 11, 2010 7:33 PM

Mar 2010
This was an interesting series. The ending certainly made up for the general slowness. To be honest, I think it would have been better (in my personal opinion), if the idea of a more psychological ending had been foregone seeing as there was (at least to an extent) quite a bit of character development, especially in this series in particular (the second stage), in favor of a more satisfying ending. I hate to say it but I think that although the ending wasn't particularly bad and I actually liked it quite a lot, I feel like it wasted a lot of potential that the series had.

Pretty good though, can't say I would want to re-watch it any time soon.

Jul 17, 2010 5:35 PM
Jul 2009
Ok, I was really taking a liking to this story a bit at first, seriously I thought it was going to end better then this though. After the first main guys died I was clueless as what these producers were doing with this. I liked the first charachters, even the dog, I thought the story was going to show the main character how to live a better life with his second chance, or something, but they didn't even try. I for one thought this was made by an entire group of idiots, the only fair thing was the quality of the art, and the animation was ok here and there.
Jul 22, 2010 10:10 PM

Mar 2010
10/10 as an entire series. Gantz is possibly the most accurate depiction of human life as a tv show can get. For those who have a grasp of the human experience Gantz was a nice wake up call. From a neutral standpoint all the characters seen thru the eyes of a real person are nothing more than themselves, if put into that situation every single person will have one of the reactions in the show. I say bravo to the creators of Gantz for shedding some light on the shadowy darkness inside mankinds heart and minds.
Aug 5, 2010 8:16 AM

Apr 2009
^ agree with killerfett0's post

This series was 'refreshing'. Nice to see an anime that doesn't usually have the stereotypical anime characters/plot. As what other people have mentioned before, the ending confused me. I understand what previous posters are trying to explain about the 'meaning' of the scene, but what confuses me is what ACTUALLY happened to Kurono. Doesn't look like there's a definite answer, but I'm not sure what to think. Anyone can shed some light on this? :(
Aug 10, 2010 3:01 AM

Apr 2010
oh hell no. u cnt end it like that i hate it wen ppl so that!! wats going to happen 2 katou's lil bro? wat happens 2 kei? they need 2 bring every1 well xcept the 4 pervy guys but xpecially katou nishi and hojo
*cries and starts readn manga*
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Aug 14, 2010 4:47 PM

Mar 2010
I enjoyed this series. It's definitly not perfect, but I'll give it an 7/10, just like the first season.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz - Second Stage Episode 12 Discussion

Fentastic - Dec 8, 2008

29 by Randomega »»
Feb 11, 12:01 AM

Poll: » Gantz - Second Stage Episode 11 Discussion

Fentastic - Dec 8, 2008

29 by Randomega »»
Feb 10, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Gantz - Second Stage Episode 10 Discussion

Fentastic - Dec 8, 2008

26 by Randomega »»
Feb 10, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Gantz - Second Stage Episode 9 Discussion

Fentastic - Dec 8, 2008

41 by Randomega »»
Feb 10, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Gantz - Second Stage Episode 8 Discussion

Fentastic - Dec 8, 2008

46 by Randomega »»
Feb 10, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.