Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2011 1:04 PM

Dec 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This far I have to say I'm somewhat impressed. An absolutely different take on the Rayearth story, yet it looks good this far. While I was watching this first part it kind of reminded me of X/1999 (the movie) and some End of Evangelion lol but that's just me. I hope the rest of this turns out to be good.
Feb 7, 2019 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
I have to say I'm also somewhat impressed by the first episode of this. It's remarkable just how different this is and yet still interesting. The general vibe is certainly akin to X/1999 and I can feel abit of Evangelion in there also.

I certainly don't prefer this version thus far but it's intriguing and having literally just finished Magic Knight Rayearth TV I'm glad that this has something different to offer. I probably also feel less lost given I have 49 episodes of most of these characters under my belt despite some of the changes.

Not sure those seeing this without having seen the TV series would enjoy it as much, it's quite alot to take in and not sure it's all explained as well as it could be.
Jun 19, 2021 2:56 AM

Feb 2014
I really liked it!! It's really different from the TV show, but I think it got off to a good start! Maybe it's just because I haven't seen the original in a while, but this seemed darker than the TV show (or at least how it was in the beginning)...

The battles were pretty cool! I guess Rayearth is Lexus now though? lol. Can't wait to see Selece and Windam!

Also Clef readying his staff really sounds like the sound effect from monster hunter when you select an option or something xD
Noodle070Jun 21, 2021 7:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2022 5:42 AM

Jan 2020
I wasn't super attached to the original series, so I have no qualms with a reimagining of the story. And, in some ways I think this first episode was better in regards to storytelling, foreshadowing, and worldbuilding. We even get some foundations for Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu that better tie them to the plot. It seems like they have an actual reason to be there and aren't just floating along.

But, my biggest complaint with this is the art. It's like they toned down what makes CLAMP so unique and made it into a more generalized style. It just comes off as any old, average, anime; it even seems a bit more shounen than shoujo now. I don't particularly care for it.

"I wish we were old enough to drive." Dammit Umi, lmao. There is no one in the entire city, just drive. I'm sure it'll work itself out.

I know I was sort of on the fence with the mechs in the first season, but they seem almost worse in this OVA. Like, I kind of miss the plain ol' mechs. Not sure how I feel about this giant lion robot thing. That being said, I like how much more graphic and violent the fighting seems to be. In general this seems to be a much darker take on the series.

So, there was stuff I liked better than the first season and stuff I didn't. Overall I think it's pretty good though.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 15, 2023 7:00 PM

Sep 2020
Good ep, better than I expected this ova to be. I like the darker tone over than the lightheartedness of the series, but I preferred the series' beginning over this one (the story feels better with them starting out as strangers and becoming friends rather than already being so).

Don't like Lion-Man.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Oct 23, 2023 10:26 AM
Dec 2017
Nothing makes sense tho. What is even happening and why. I hope it comes together but so far this is some sort of dream in which you kind of remember bits and pieces from the tv show. I don't even know who the guy is Lantis tried to kill. He is said to be Emeraude's brother, but that was Ferio and that is not Ferio.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth OVA Episode 3 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Nov 6, 2011

5 by RetroAnimeMike »»
Oct 25, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth OVA Episode 2 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Nov 6, 2011

4 by SlammyHammy »»
Aug 15, 2023 7:03 PM

» How is the English dub?

funtime43_tr - Jul 14, 2022

2 by funtime43_tr »»
Dec 20, 2022 7:43 PM

» Original vs OVA

OriginGenesis - Dec 30, 2008

5 by Blind_Guardian »»
May 26, 2011 7:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.