Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 12, 2019 8:28 AM

Nov 2016
Very emotional episode and boy did I get mad over all those retarded people..

Charles and Ray easily became my favorite characters, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 24, 2020 1:11 PM
Sep 2019
Another good episode in a very interesting series.

Ray and Charles doing such a decent job with Renton, in contrast with how dsyfunctional the "family" on the Gekko is, really does mess with your expectations.

In usual fiction tropes, these guys definitely must be faking it, they are too nice, and have to eventually turn and become bad guys? Or they stay pure, but the happiness can't last and Renton must lose them somehow (likely to a battle with his previous family).

But Eureka Seven so far has been pretty good about avoiding cheap character tropes. Even in this episode, with all Rentons mistakes, you can see why he does it. His core character trait is a willingness to pursue what he thinks is right, despite all consequences. Even if that means he inevitably gets punched in the face or thrown around. But he's also a naive child, who lived a very sheltered life, with unrealistic romantic ideals. So watching him slowly him develop as a character as his understanding of the world grows, is very believable.

So this "new family" ark is very bittersweet. You just can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop. I like seeing all the different takes from everybody on what they think might happen, it really goes to show you that this series so far, has really kept it's options open. All of those ideas seem possible.

Not sure which way it's gonna play out, but if it continues in it's trend of making it seem very believable/relatable then I'll be happy. Especially if Ray and Charles can get some good character development themselves and be faced with some interesting/tough choices outside of simple "good or bad". This show's done a great job about straddling the moral grey area, which really has so much potential for interesting story.
Jan 30, 2020 9:39 PM
Jan 2020
Upon rewatching this episode, there were two things I picked up on that I didn't originally notice.

The first was how Renton's attempt to save the dying girl paralleled with his attempt to protect Eureka. In both cases he was unable to consider how his actions would affect the lives around him which is thrown at his face once again this episode. So he's not only regretting his actions with the dying girl but his actions on the Gekko State too.

The second was Holland's reaction to Renton leaving. Up till now, he's been an ass when it came to handling Renton and was childishly avoiding having to face the topic of Renton leaving with Eureka. However, he's the only one out of the Gekko State members who considers Renton's reason for leaving seriously and doesn't just sum it to adolescence. So compared to everyone else, he ironically holds more respect to Renton than he actually shows.
Oct 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Jul 2012
I'm quite liking this "arc" so far, its building on Renton's personal development as well as his consciousness of the wider world around him. This episode he learns about racism, hatred, and empathy as well. Another pretty good episode.
Nov 27, 2020 12:08 PM

Nov 2019
Wow, at this point in the series i just wanna hug Eureka. that hat of hers really just makes her look.........to the point where i just really wanna hug her. it really hurt me seeing her open Renton's room and seeing that he's gone, taking his tracksuit and holding it tight and says "Oh, Renton i want to see you". huh! as she said that it really touched me.

the Op and ed really bother me, They are so lively and yet the episode is just that.....

( OH and another episode without, To be continued said)
Dec 23, 2020 2:58 AM

Jul 2017
Seeing Renton in this episode reminded me a lot about when I rewatched Planetes and saw Ai Tanabe do something similar, when she wanted to return the coffin of an astronaut back to Earth and the others declined including the family, saying that the astronaut enjoyed space a lot more and would want him to be properly buried there instead and she lost her mind. Same thing here with Renton except that its not a corpse this time around, having to take the girl by himself to get treatment for her, against the parents' wishes. Like Tanabe in that situation, Renton's a good natured kid but he's truly naive about the world to grasp the situation regarding why the family would say no and they're in the right to do so. Life's more complicated than following the text book for acting good when sometimes, its against the wishes of the family who know the kid much better than Renton did and don't want to see the kid suffer anymore. At least Ray and Charles disciplined him the right way without straight up abusing or beating the shit out of him of frustration for him to learn a lesson to some degree. They both are just better than most of the Gekkostate in that aspect, you can say Holland and the Gekkostate are immature in that aspect and need developing there.

Eureka's also beginning to realize her feelings for Renton, knowing that he left the Gekkostate from Holland and feeling lonely and desperate too to see him.

Overall, a decent episode that tackled some strong themes in a pretty good way, despite Renton showing his inexperience and naivety in life to be going through these problems. He's still a kid, but at least there's a lot to learn from this experience about the nature of reality and people. One of the better episodes in a long time since I felt like this show was in a genuine slump of dogshit before this.
Oct 11, 2021 8:36 PM

Mar 2016
What wondrous life Renton is living abroad the couple's ship, as he said himself, where he used to be berated and shouted at when he attend to the chores abroad the Gekko, here, the got complimented and encouraged not to push himself. The simplest exchange of words is all it took for such trivial tasks to feel infinitely more pleasing. It's a comfortable life indeed, Renton is so accepted into the family he even got a passport with the last Charle's last name. He's essentially adopted into the family and that's really sweet.

However not all family are living such carefree life, the Vodarac, an oppressed ethnicity/religion, that's what Renton is discovering this ep. Yes, he is a mere child, ofc he will be naive, that's the nature of young adolescent boy such he is. It's no wonder why he tried so hard to save the girl, but racism and discrimination would not let her receive the treatment she needed. Learn Renton, learn and see the truth of the world, your mundane life with your grandfather is a fragment of a past long left behind, it's time for him to see for himself the state of this world all so that he could grow and develop his character further... Let me reiterate just how fantastic his new parents are, they knew what he did was right so no they did not punish him for doing what any compassionate human would do, but they allow him to be left alone to think about the events that have unfolded that day. Leaving behind some free space for your child is essential for their independent growth and for that, these couples are worthy of admiration.

Meanwhile, as Renton is doing all that, Holland is out here chickening out like a little bitch boy pussy, not telling Eureka of Renton's departure. It took the entire Gekkostate members discussing what they would say to welcome Renton back and how Eureka loves Renton that Holland finally spill the truth on Eureka. For Eureka well... It's as the saying goes... "You don't realize how much you love something until it's gone." Renton is gone, all she could do now in her condition is hope for his return and to think of her past mistakes that contributed to Renton leaving them all behind.

This ep is wonderful, it presents the hard reality of the world on Renton and also reinforces just how important Renton was as a member of the Gekkostate.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 11, 2008

66 by chenfeng »»
Apr 6, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

death919 - May 4, 2008

283 by ShadowkillZ »»
Mar 22, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 31, 2008

89 by Awesomepants25 »»
Feb 6, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 11 Discussion

aero - Jul 23, 2008

48 by Teatime_X »»
Jan 15, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 38 Discussion

aero - Aug 1, 2008

33 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.