Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2011 10:09 AM

Apr 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Just read No. 6 (novel) Volume 3, Chapter 4 on the 9th avenue blog, yesterday. (Awesome that the last two releases were WHOLE chapters instead of half-chapters!) xD

I have read translations of the famous scene from this chapter before, and this one was a little different. I was surprised the speech about living with Nezumi bringing out Shion's emotions was there (also in the anime). I don't remember that in the other translations; maybe it was just cut out? (Or I could have forgotten-- I haven't checked yet. Don't think I did though.)

But I was slightly disappointed at one little tiny thing: In the other two translations I've seen, it says that Nezumi's voice shrinks to nearly nothing as he says "you accepted me" or "you let me in" to Shion, talking about the night they first met. I think the other two were translated from Chinese and this one comes straight from the Japanese, but it's still a little surprising, the difference. Can't wait to see the next scene between them. I've read a translation of that one as well and I already know it's quite different from the anime too (though the overall gist is the same too).

I'll have to reread those summaries soon to compare!
Dec 2, 2011 6:47 PM

Dec 2009

Okay, even though I already knew what was going to happen because I watched the anime and read 3748327 spoilers, it still was nice to read again the kiss part. <3 It was fast and I didn't feel emotion just like in the anime, but I damn love the part where Nezumi cries, it's... sad. ;A;
I have to admit that the main reason for me to love this novel is because of Nezumi and Sion. Not in a yaoi way, but mostly because the two characters have changed a lot. Sion was damn naive, he still is, but it's getting better in understand situations and learning more about the real world. And as for Nezumi... the crying scene is self-explaining, he would never cry, at least not for a reason like that.
I'ts just awesome ~!
Feb 1, 2012 12:30 PM

Apr 2011
Ooh I somehow missed this reply earlier. ^_^;

I don't think Shion is as naïve as Nezumi makes him out to be. Wherever he is though, he learns quickly because he's highly adaptable and open to change. He's not too proud or unbending to do so. Also, some of his ideals (especially the core ones he fights most for) are worth defending and Nezumi's the one who needs to be brought out of his pessimistic defeatism, not Shion who's being unrealistic. Nezumi on the other hand (as you may be discovering in the latest chapters) is very closed-minded and doesn't change easily, despite a few exceptions like the tears you mention. Shion's probably the only person in the world who has done anything to change him, since the tragic events of his past, and even still he doesn't change anywhere near as much for Shion as Shion does for him. Instead, he temporarily breaks his personal rules by doing Shion unasked-for favours. I'm not so sure these are permanent changes in Nezumi character, whereas the changes in Shion are clearly permanent.

As for emotion in the kissing scene, I'm still not sure why people aren't seeing it. Is it the context or something? First, as I'm sure everyone is aware, Shion is totally head over heels for Nezumi! He tries his best to put on an act about this kiss being nothing special in order to protect Nezumi. Also remember that Shion is extremely shy about initiating physical contact. Yet Asano herself has said he was highly emotional at the time and didn't know what to do about those feelings. I don't think it's an accident that the way she wrote it, Shion and Nezumi are standing/sitting in the exact same positions they were in when Shion first told him he was drawn to him.

btw if you pay very close attention in the novels, it's not just Nezumi's caresses of Shion's hair and face that are going on. Shion's constantly staring or zoning out or blushing or "thrilling" at *PHYSICAL* details about Nezumi or Nezumi's actions. In the realm of the physical, Shion is passive; Nezumi is active... and yet since Shion's the emotional one, AND the one who is more open to change, he overcomes his usual passivity to share his feelings with Nezumi with multiple confessions and a shy, virginal, chaste kiss brought on by the finality of it all. It's all about keeping them true to character. :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » No.6 Novel Volume 1 Discussion

Liinah - Jul 27, 2011

3 by Cloe900311 »»
Jul 11, 2020 6:06 PM

» Difference between alternate versions

Silvermeow - Mar 5, 2018

1 by removed-user »»
Mar 23, 2018 10:32 AM

Poll: » No.6 Volume 6 Discussion

removed-user - May 21, 2017

0 by removed-user »»
May 21, 2017 1:04 PM

Poll: » No.6 Volume 5 Discussion

removed-user - May 7, 2016

0 by removed-user »»
May 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Poll: » No. 6 Volume 4 Discussion

removed-user - May 1, 2016

0 by removed-user »»
May 1, 2016 12:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.