Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 22, 2011 3:49 AM

Apr 2011
it seems like with each passing episode it gets better and better :)
I had some doubts with episode one at first but now.. XD this anime really did the game justice!

I love how they portrayed Yukiko's dungeon - there was so much more changes to it especially the part with Chie in her room, that was awesome ^^ and I see Kou XD he has quite a nice voice compared to Saki's hahaha

curses, I had to fuse personas in the game to change but Yuu only had to say 'change' :T

I lol'd at the part with Yosuke swinging the swords around in Junes. they kept that part, thank god XD

and I see Chie got her ~*DOMINATRIX BANANA HEAD*~
Oct 22, 2011 4:01 AM

Sep 2009
They really switched things up in this episode. But I liked all the changes for the most part. I really feel they're trying to drive Chie as more than a tomboy this time around. She seems genuinely more "girly" than in the game but like the other changes, I think that's another plus.
A few side notes:
1.That was a nicely placed kick...(I felt that one for Yosuke)
2. I can never get over how her persona has those *5 minute washboard abs*
Oct 22, 2011 4:08 AM
Dec 2007
Why do people can't seem to grasp the fact Fusions ae just a gameplay mechanism and story-wise Yuu already has the potential to wield all the Personas he can unlock in the game. The anime is likely, instead of using strict character level and S.Link level requirements, will just require Yu to have befriended someone and unlocked their Arcana. Which Persona will get used, however, will likely be up to the director.

This is probably just useless trivia but, the reason Yousuke, and therefore Jiraiya, falls under the Magician Arcana is because Jiraiya is supposed to be a ninja with magical abilities (he can transform into a giant frog).
Leon-GunOct 22, 2011 7:43 AM

Oct 22, 2011 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
MC is unexpectedly snarky this week. Now I wonder if they're going for one, solid personality, or make a mishmash of different achetypes.
Oct 22, 2011 8:36 AM
Jan 2010
All the homo men to now break away♫
Oct 22, 2011 10:04 AM

Apr 2011
Hibachi_ said:
All the homo men to now break away♫

LOLz xD
'So many Engrish around me!'
Oct 22, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2011
Episode 3 is a mixed bag for me. Animation quality is still all over the place, but overall fairly good. I love the MC's responses - his anime personality is much better than the 'blank slate' he is in the game. I just thought I'd get that out of the way first. I love what they did with Shadow Chie and Chie's true feelings sequence - it really does show the relationship Chie has with Yukiko and how she's both jealous and domineering of Yukiko at the same time. It kind of creeped me out yet it was so true to her character. Anyway, they set it up much better than the game did, the game just more or less glossed over that part like it was an afterthought.

Only thing that bothered me was Yuu summoning Pyro Jack - if they really wanted to troll Atlus's mascot, why not Jack Frost? Then again, they wasted potential by not giving Yosuke his due in Shadow Chie's fight. They could have given him a 'Big Damn Heroes' moment by Jiraiya weakening Shadow Chie with his wind attacks, then Yuu finishing her off with Izanagi/Orobas/Senri or some other Persona. It would have made a better ending, but oh well...

I really hope they do a few social links, because some of the characters were pretty interesting, like the tsundere Ai from the Moon link and Ayane, one of the Sun links from the Music club. I also like the OP and EP themes in the anime so far. I'm just praying at this point that this anime doesn't get cancelled, given the problems that AIC ASTA seems to be having (and given their checkered history).

I'm sticking to my original rating thus far: 4/5 (on a 10 scale, that's an eight).

Edit: Although they DID do the whole 'All-Out Attack' combo thing with Yuu and Yosuke. That was pretty awesome.
Oct 22, 2011 11:31 AM

Jun 2009
katsu044 said:
Miya_F_Exia said:
OrochiPL said:

Oh right, as much as i'm enjoying the series, why does the music suck so bad?

What the...get out of here, NOW!

You must have Real bad taste or just never heard the OST for this before because persona 3/4 had some of be best music in games imo.

As i said, bgms aren't bad, just those eng songs suck so hard. As for my taste it's obviously awesome.
OrochiPLOct 22, 2011 12:27 PM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Oct 22, 2011 1:05 PM

Feb 2010
OrochiPL said:
katsu044 said:
Miya_F_Exia said:
OrochiPL said:

Oh right, as much as i'm enjoying the series, why does the music suck so bad?

What the...get out of here, NOW!

You must have Real bad taste or just never heard the OST for this before because persona 3/4 had some of be best music in games imo.

As i said, bgms aren't bad, just those eng songs suck so hard. As for my taste it's obviously awesome.

I agree i never liked that eng songs , but i didnt hated them that much.

The music is good, but out of all SMT games persona 3/4 had the worst music imo. (smt nocturne and dds have some awesome battle themes)

Persona 4 boss battle themes are really good though , especially the boss for the good ending.
VanisherOct 22, 2011 1:15 PM
Oct 22, 2011 2:18 PM

May 2009
Pff, the Engrish songs are what really matter. If it was Itarian or "Germen" no one would care anyway. Not only that but those songs really give the right atmosphere to the game (and tv series).
And SMT games have a wonderful OST, but it has nothing to do with Persona. I can't even imagine a "satanic" song like the boss battle theme from SMT: N in Persona lol
Oct 22, 2011 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
I think they're doing a good job with the MC's personality. It fits with his in-game actions, i.e. being a clear-headed kinda guy who's good at getting girls to fall in love with him. :p
Oct 22, 2011 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
I was incredibly bored while watching this. I hope this show will get interesting soon.
Oct 22, 2011 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
Leon-Gun said:
Why do people can't seem to grasp the fact Fusions ae just a gameplay mechanism and story-wise Yuu already has the potential to wield all the Personas he can unlock in the game. The anime is likely, instead of using strict character level and S.Link level requirements, will just require Yu to have befriended someone and unlocked their Arcana. Which Persona will get used, however, will likely be up to the director.

Eh, I get it, but it's just too much fun making fun of the anime MC for being a giant cheater. ;P
Plus Jack Frost would've made more sense as a starting Magician persona anyway; it's iconic and more reasonably leveled (even if Yuu wouldn'tve been able fuse it at his level anyway). The Personas' levels in the game were a measure of the strength of mind needed to summon them anyway (with Lucifer and the MC's ultimate persona being the highest leveled for obvious reasons), so even without the level system the point still stands.
Oct 22, 2011 5:51 PM
Oct 2011
i guess i have to qoute myself on why they chose pyro jack

PointmanW said:
they probably chose pyro jack because....

and i think the pyro jack will change into another persona later since marganet said "the power grow as your bond with them get stronger"
Oct 22, 2011 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
^But he could just switch back to Izanagi. ;P
Or just attack the prince and let Chie beat Shadow Yukiko, which'd fit in better with this episode anyway.
Oct 22, 2011 8:33 PM
Oct 2011
I want Jack Frost, and what about orpheus?
Oct 22, 2011 9:19 PM
Dec 2007
jadevictor said:
I want Jack Frost, and what about orpheus?
Orpheus is the Initial Fool persona in P3, he doesn't show up in P4. He was basically replaced by Izanagi.

Oct 22, 2011 10:29 PM

May 2010
I wonder how pissed off some of you would be if he magically summoned Trumpeter, lmfao.

Also, I agree with Chie being the one to beat Yukiko's shadow. That would fit better than just Yu killing off every shadow with no problems.

Necrosaro said:
I really hope they do a few social links, because some of the characters were pretty interesting, like the tsundere Ai

I so want this. I really thought her SLink was one of the best from the girls side of things.
Oct 23, 2011 12:00 AM

Apr 2009
Yu is so emotionless, it feels like. xD
Pyro Jack is adorable.
Oct 23, 2011 1:57 AM

May 2011
I want ask something...~ Teddie was seem to be afraid of shadows as seen in episode 1, but how did it manage to survive there like without any trouble?

Anyway I didn't feel what's wrong for him to use Pyro Jack as I didn't play persona 4, so I guess people shouldn't feel irritated...?
Oct 23, 2011 2:15 AM
Dec 2007
xahjun said:
I want ask something...~ Teddie was seem to be afraid of shadows as seen in episode 1, but how did it manage to survive there like without any trouble?

Anyway I didn't feel what's wrong for him to use Pyro Jack as I didn't play persona 4, so I guess people shouldn't feel irritated...?
Pyro Jack was a level 14 Persona in Persona 3 anyway so...

As for Kuma, let's just say he's good at hiding, has a well-developed nose, and he's less tasty to Shadows than a human. Shadows feed on the human psyche after all, as mentioned in Persona 3. Also, that's his home, he's always lived there.

Oct 23, 2011 3:55 AM

Oct 2009
"Are you okay?!"
"It's making me cry"
"No it's not!"

I was so happy that they added that. XD
Oct 23, 2011 10:08 AM

Oct 2008
The All-out-attack was really a Fusion Spell (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Spell). Nice.
Oct 24, 2011 4:10 AM

May 2011
Leon-Gun said:
xahjun said:

Pyro Jack was a level 14 Persona in Persona 3 anyway so...

As for Kuma, let's just say he's good at hiding, has a well-developed nose, and he's less tasty to Shadows than a human. Shadows feed on the human psyche after all, as mentioned in Persona 3. Also, that's his home, he's always lived there.

Hmm okay thanks ^^
Oct 24, 2011 4:14 AM

Jun 2008
I don't know what the fans of the games say but as an anime this show has been mediocre at best. Character building realy is pathetic, jumping scenes, behaviors that make no sense.
Everything is just off. Is like am watching a video game and not an anime.
It seems this was made for only the people that already love the game since as anime by itself is a coherent mess. I don't know if i should give it another episode before i drop it.
MonadOct 24, 2011 11:01 AM
Oct 24, 2011 8:25 AM

Jan 2010
As a fan of the game, I'm not particularly enjoying the anime either. I think it's rushed and badly directed so far. Chie recovering her senses and accepting her shadow was sudden and poorly executed. Maybe it will improve later on, but so far it's a mediocre adaptation of the original. I'd say it's not as bad as Chaos;Head's adaptation, but it's in the same level of Umineko's anime.
Oct 24, 2011 3:25 PM

Oct 2011
For those of you who seem to be on the verge of dropping the anime after three episodes here are some things to think about:

- The main character will play more of a role and should undergo some huge development over the course of the anime. His stats are improving and so will, therefore, his presence in the show.
- Yes Monad the scenes skip - this is indeed a problem with episodes 1 and 2. However, episode 3 had far fewer jumps and actually felt like a coherent episode. Hopefully this is a sign that things are getting better, and not worse. Personally I think the pacing of the show is as good as it can be given the amount of content
- There are some who may, having played the game, experience a bit of nerd rage at certain things such as Yousuke liking Saki more explicitly than in the game. I for one am actually glad they've done this because: firstly, it makes for a more concise story i.e. one that has to fit into 25 episodes and doesn't bore you with one string of dialogue; and secondly, that it makes the anime refreshing for those who've beaten the game (numerous times in my case XD) by introducing new scenes.

So far the series deserves a solid 8/10 - the first episode being closer to 6 and the 3rd one being a 9.
Oct 24, 2011 6:52 PM

May 2008
cant really judge this series yet buts its ok so far...

hope it gets better!!!
Oct 24, 2011 9:49 PM

Aug 2011
Not good. Not bad. I don't know o_o
Let's see how it evolves.

» Escapism.

Oct 25, 2011 6:33 AM

Aug 2011
Pretty damn awesome so far.
Etna - So I kicked him in the... you know...
Flonne - Umm. No, where?
Prinny - Heres a clue, it's a mans soul.
Prinny - He lost his soul and was cursed to live as a woman.
Oct 25, 2011 10:51 AM

Nov 2008
Asagami said:
The All-out-attack was really a Fusion Spell (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Spell). Nice.

I'd say it's more like the co-op attacks in P3P.
Oct 25, 2011 8:52 PM

Jun 2007
drendren said:
This show is starting to get really mundane. It's the same pattern every time. Each episode focuses on one character going through mental breakdown then MC gives them words of encouragement and all of a sudden they're better and then side character gets a persona. There's like what? 5 more characters in this show? So basically 5 more episodes of this shit? great...

I never played the game and I agree with you whole heartily. There's no real story to this show. Well there is a story but it's really horrible and I'm guessing it assumes we've all played the game. They should have just kept this a game and made another spin off like Persona: Trinity Soul. O well, I'll keep watching just for the sake of finishing it.
Oct 25, 2011 9:40 PM
Dec 2007
DeathfireD said:
drendren said:
This show is starting to get really mundane. It's the same pattern every time. Each episode focuses on one character going through mental breakdown then MC gives them words of encouragement and all of a sudden they're better and then side character gets a persona. There's like what? 5 more characters in this show? So basically 5 more episodes of this shit? great...

I never played the game and I agree with you whole heartily. There's no real story to this show. Well there is a story but it's really horrible and I'm guessing it assumes we've all played the game. They should have just kept this a game and made another spin off like Persona: Trinity Soul. O well, I'll keep watching just for the sake of finishing it.
>Implying Trinity Soul was good

That just made me laugh.

Oct 26, 2011 1:00 AM

Jan 2011
Leon-Gun said:
DeathfireD said:
drendren said:

That just made me laugh.

@Leon-Gun ^ This.
I don't know why you guys take your time just to come to this discussion and say things like "this show sucks". The only thing you're gonna get from this is haters, I can guarantee that.
Oct 26, 2011 4:54 AM

Aug 2010
I liked this episode, mostly because it focused on Chie, my favorite character. The episodes are getting a bit repetitive, maybe after the introduction of the heroes it will pick up. 4/5.
Oct 26, 2011 5:23 AM

Sep 2009
daniellkun said:
Leon-Gun said:
DeathfireD said:
drendren said:

That just made me laugh.

@Leon-Gun ^ This.
I don't know why you guys take your time just to come to this discussion and say things like "this show sucks". The only thing you're gonna get from this is haters, I can guarantee that.

Yeah..really though it's a waste of time to convince someone of a different opinion in most cases..this being one of them-_-. If you don't like this series that's fine and I have nooo problem with that. But I do like the series so I would hope that you could respect that as well..."Don't harsh my mellow"
Oct 26, 2011 7:26 PM

Jan 2011
It's more the other way round here (In this thread), the people who do not like it as much get shot down quite harsh.

I do not agree or see these issues drenden or DeathfireD for example brought up, i like it so far, but this happens quite often here on MAL (well, everywhere to be honest) - if you go against the majority, you're having a hard time. Here on MAL, you can notice that when people like an anime when most posters dislike it or the other way round. They get shot down quite harsh.

Yes, there are weird reasons for (dis)liking an anime, like when people drop the rating from 10 to 3 because they did not like the haircolor of some random guy you're never going to see again, or ignore that the pacing is off, that there is no story, that it is repetitive and that a 2 year old could draw better because the main character has a dog, but even then it's just an opinion, and most times it's not that extreme.

I have to agree with that the OP and ED songs aren't the best, especially the ending. It's not the engrish (what engrish btw? It's all english, there are western artists, especially from the UK/US who have stranger verses and sentence structure, it's mostly only the pronounciation if at all), but just not 100% my type. Neither is bad, but i do not have the urge to hear it over and over again right now.

Overally i like it so far. I did not play the game, or it's predecessors, so i know nothing about what they are supposed to do, or whether Pyro Jack should have a too high level to be used at that time, and the "introduction" was really cut short there, it was like "here, have another persona, bye", but thats nothing major, especially if they explain more about how everything works later on.
Oct 26, 2011 8:20 PM
Oct 2011
DeathfireD said:
drendren said:

it a Mystery anime, you expect it to tell you all the Mystery of the story in the first three ep? and you just can't tell if a story is bad or good in just 3 ep, but i can tell you that p4 story is pretty good
Oct 27, 2011 10:27 AM

Jan 2010
Evtrai said:
drendren said:

Interesting... people is never happy, maybe it's because the game is the same? if they din't follow up the game people would be upset, and if they changed something like in Valkyria Chronicles adaptation with the creation of a non existant in game love triangle people would raaaaage regardless. It's pretty hard to make an adaptation of a game with just too many options, it would take around 100 episodes or more to fully detail every aspect of it.

This is an adaptation, and I praise to how true with the game it has been so far for not creating aspects not present in game. But I encourage people that all they do is complain and cry from the adaptation is to just play the game, or wait for the new persona 4 gold comming up soon, or to just avoid the anime like AIDS.

Exactly. I am surprised how well they are doing it and how close to the game they are sticking. This is as good an adaptation as one can expect.
Oct 28, 2011 12:40 AM

May 2010
This ep is pretty similar to the previous.
The only thing new here is the MC's ability to wield multiple personas.

OK episode I guess. -,-
Oct 28, 2011 1:05 AM

Aug 2010
Love the use of the in game OST (the good point of the anime)

Oct 28, 2011 3:14 AM

Feb 2008
Spoiler deleted. User banned.

Nothing to see here anymore.
Oct 29, 2011 2:24 AM
Mar 2009
It's off putting how fast they get over their Shadows when they get 2 lines of encouragement, but I guess they have to rush it...

Wow, Yukiko was a uh...total 180 there.
Oct 29, 2011 6:42 AM
Oct 2011
ChronosXIII said:
It's off putting how fast they get over their Shadows when they get 2 lines of encouragement, but I guess they have to rush it...

Wow, Yukiko was a uh...total 180 there.

still better than the game for me, they just beat the crap out of the shadow... leaving them with no choice other than become the persona. and just how beat the crap out of the shadow make the person accept his/her deep dark secert anyway...
Nov 1, 2011 12:26 PM

Mar 2011
"I wish I taped it." lol pure win.

That Pyro Jack persona is pretty neat.
Nov 2, 2011 5:32 AM
Mar 2010
Three episodes judgement: this show is really good!!! Animation are simple but linear and nice, colours and design are characterizing. Charas are nice and I think we don't see real personality. Only not-positive thing probably is a certain repetetivety of 2nd and 3rd episode, but it's a little thing..... It is definitely one of the best series of this season....

next to 4th ep
Nov 11, 2011 9:52 PM

Oct 2010
This was one of my favorite parts in the game. I just really don't like the battle. I love how its true to the series though.
Nov 12, 2011 1:09 PM

May 2010
drendren said:

This pattern actually reminds me of Revolutionary Girl Utena, so I'm not complaining about that! The breakdowns are interesting because I can actually see a bit of myself in their shadows, I mean who doesn't like it when someone depends on you? There really is an egoistical aspect to such a feeling, the satisfaction of an increase in power. We just don't usually look at it from that perspective, we try to ignore such feelings for the sake of our own sanity. As they said in the show, we just have to accept such feeling as part of us and not let them interfere with our good sides. Sure, it's the same formula as last episode, but I thought it was really interesting.

I did complain early on that it felt too much like a game, but I'm unsure about that now. I mean, of course it still feels game-like, but now I'm starting to think that it's a good thing. Being so artificial makes it harder to get immersed, but that's a good thing if they want us to have a more critical perspective. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this....
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 12, 2011 2:06 PM

Sep 2010
I really hate it that the characters act as if they already know everything about the Persona's. When Chie got her Persona they spoke as if everyone already knew what it was and such, even though they actually don't and the viewer even less. That's really bad done. Also the moment when Chie's true self appeared the dialogue was exactly the same as when Hanamura's true self appeared, it's too much repetitive and that results in boring and facepalm moments. I really hate the part in the parallel world from this anime, that's at least what's my opinion after 3 episodes. I hope it changes a bit though, because I do like the part outside of that world. That Kuma thing is also annoying as hell and doesn't seems interesting in any way.
So overall I don't have any high expectations anymore, not that I had any since I haven't played the game. I can't believe that it will get "good" at some point.
Nov 17, 2011 2:21 AM
Oct 2010
Huh, I didn't see the KKK imagery when I played the game... Hurrah for detailed animations!

And I'm kinda wishing I didn't play the game, the story was kinda a point of redemption for the not so great dungeon crawling, I'm glad to see 2 hours of gameplay be condensed into a quick action scene.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.