Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2014 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
I'm in the middle of watching 4 other half-decent shows, so it's nice that I finally am onto something now. Seeing this shows ratings around on profiles and sites as well as word of mouth, I expected it to be good - and it was. I haven't genuinely laughed at a show in a while, but it could possibly be that I haven't watched a show with this type of humor in a very long time.

So far, I liek
Feb 26, 2016 11:16 PM
Feb 2015
I thought it was kind of cute how that one guy got really excited when he mentioned AS.
Mar 29, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2009
The red hair girl is a vampire? I wonder what they did to her...
OMG Sousuke have no luck! LOL
Jun 30, 2016 3:13 AM

Jun 2008
Rewatching FMP in preparation for the New FMP anime (although who knows when the hell it's gonna be released)...

Watching this anime brings back so many memories...can't believe it's been almost 10 years since I first saw it!
Jul 8, 2016 7:07 AM

Oct 2010
"So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" is the book with all the airborne sex in it. Interesting choice.

Kiyone hair <3
Nov 12, 2016 7:10 PM
Jun 2013
great start. The show seemed super serious in the first 2 minutes then showed to be rather funny and i already like the characters already. The condom scene and the class intro scene was freaking funny and sosuke overall confusion of everyday normal life is funny as well.
Nov 27, 2016 7:31 PM

Jul 2009
Liking this so far. Interesting premise with good comedy. Sousuke is a lovable goofball xD
Nov 28, 2016 5:47 AM

Jan 2012
Finally starting this about a year after I meant to when Part IV was first announced. First episode was alright. I think I like Mao best of all the characters so far but it's way too early to be sure. I was surprised it ended when it did since it felt like it just got started. Some very standard cliches already, but in fairness this did air 14 years ago. I'll attribute the windowboxed opening and ending to that too. Goodness, had I watched this back then I'd be younger than the protagonists instead of nearly twice their age...God I'm old.
animefan8800Nov 28, 2016 5:59 AM
Dec 25, 2016 4:43 AM

Nov 2011
As a Christmas gift, it is not bad. This anime series, I saw lots ago, dubbed in my mother tongue, but now I see the Japanese language with subtitles. The thing that leaps to the eye, is the fact that despite being an anime series with many years behind him, is still very current, with a very pleasant story in its comedy and in the parts where, on the other hand, there is the action . This anime shows in this episode to be the son of his time, in so many aspects and details: just listen to the soundtrack, and notice the camera used by Kurz Weber, just to give an example. However, it enchants for the quality of the drawings and for the chracter character design. Returning to the narrative, the first part is really intense, and may even deceive the viewer, but the second part reveals suffered a humor that makes the whole episode, quite a mixed bag, of which everyone can be satisfied. Excellent soundtrack, and very catchy the opening and ending.
Apr 19, 2017 7:44 PM

Jul 2013
I had never the chance to watch Full Metal Panic, but now finally I can watch it.

Great start so far. From the first moment ob you could see that this is an old school anime. :D
Sousukes introduction was pretty funny. Didn't knew you can use an condom also as water bottle lol.

Melissa and Kurz are also really sympathic characters.

So their mission is to protect Kaname from beeing kidnapped and Sousuke has become a student. He didn't seem to know much about the normal life. All these things he said before his class sounded pretty weird for the other students I would say.

That scene in the changing room was so funny xD

I'm really curious how this will developed. Kaname seem to be a little bit interested in Sousuke. :P
Natsu88Apr 19, 2017 7:47 PM

Apr 27, 2017 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Lmao, who the hell doesn't think twice about bringing an actual gun to high school ...
So according to the chart Kaname's mother died of cancer and her father + sister moved back to the USA.

I have a feeling the nerd acting all hyped and cheery when Sousuke was talking about his hobbies and what not is going to become his best friend.
Liking Sousuke's relaxed careless attitude though :D

So far I only got that she may be kidnapped but not why or what makes her so valuable.
Jun 6, 2017 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
I remember watching this as 4th grader
But I don't really remember the details or the stories
So, here I am
Glad I can watch this again as older person that can understand.. things xD

Bonta-kun, cute as always❤

Sousuke is still military-maniac baka xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 4, 2017 4:21 PM
May 2012
specialpackage said:
Bold prediction: This anime will be in my top 10 when all is said and done.

well, your bold prediction came true.
i think i'm gonna enjoy this, too. i like sousuke so far.
ending song is really nice.
Oct 5, 2017 11:28 PM
Dec 2012
Does this show ever get... better? I'm really trying to like it, but the sound effects, and him being terrible at being undercover is mildly annoying. The mech's at the start seemed like it could have some interesting fight scenes.
Mar 11, 2018 2:55 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Honestly, I wasnt expecting to connect with this series so much in my first real contact with it... it must help that I like mecha, and this reminds me of Muv-Luv Unlimited which was kinda fun in its own merits.

Then the cast is really enjoyable, and I m also watching the remastered version, so the art actually looks quite good and definitly aged well.

Kana is a really enjoyable girl and Sousuke seems up to the job of delivering a very interesting MC duo alongside her.
Mar 14, 2018 5:15 PM

Sep 2016
Playcool said:
Honestly, I wasnt expecting to connect with this series so much in my first real contact with it... it must help that I like mecha
Same here, im starting to like Mech shows. Hopefully i can finish this before the new season starts this april. I really like Sousuke and Kaname's interactions, they are perfect for each other lol.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 15, 2018 8:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
PolarCyrus97 said:
Playcool said:
Honestly, I wasnt expecting to connect with this series so much in my first real contact with it... it must help that I like mecha
Same here, im starting to like Mech shows. Hopefully i can finish this before the new season starts this april. I really like Sousuke and Kaname's interactions, they are perfect for each other lol.

Warning, this seasons gets alot of far more boring filler episodes later on, that really made you forget why you loved this series so much... keep through them since eventually the good content appears again.
May 14, 2018 6:03 PM

Sep 2013
Not sure how to feel about this show. It seems to be sort of ambiguous and vague (maybe on purpose) as to what is going on. Sousuke is protecting the girl from ... somebody? He has never socialized with anyone before and only knows military life...I guess?

Why did he rush the girls' changing room, shove her to the floor and suddenly aim his gun at the doorway he just came through? There didn't seem to be a catalyst for his action. There wasn't any sort of signal that there might be an attacker. He just randomly went into defense mode.

I dunno. I think I might like this show as it progresses, but right now, I'm undecided.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 26, 2019 9:52 AM

Dec 2014
No gonna lie..dropped it two times...
Mar 23, 2020 2:58 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The main dude is really funny xD pretty good first episode
May 26, 2020 4:07 PM

Apr 2009
It took me too long to finally watch this. It's interesting! I like the characters. The main guy isn't the typical no-personality cringing wuss male protagonist you see nowadays, he is actually pretty funny.
Jul 24, 2020 9:18 AM

May 2011
Oh what planet are we just randomly pulling guns on our fellow classmates as a precaution with minimal backlash from staff or other students?? Allllright then. 😂
flowstateJul 24, 2020 9:39 AM
May 22, 2021 5:31 PM

Nov 2010
Very nice OP!

So far so good. I had plenty of laughs this episode.
Aug 12, 2021 2:37 PM

May 2018
Great start. Sousuke is going to be so awkward in school xD
Mar 9, 2022 9:14 AM
Nov 2020
imagine hearing someone say i have used kondom
and then saying for storing 1 liter of water..XD
Jul 18, 2022 5:05 PM
Jul 2022
had no idea what to expect when I stumbled across this after doing a Google search for FMA, but I saw mechs so I wanted to give it a chance.

Episode 1 had me rolling! For some reason Sousuke trying to remember what music high school students listened to and horribly struggling was amazing!

I also learned that a condom makes for a water bottle if you're ever stuck in the jungle, so that's good! LOL
Aug 3, 2022 5:29 PM
Mar 2022
Thought i'd give this anime a watch, because of how popular it is on MAL...

So far my impression from the the first episode is pretty good, Art style Isn't too bad considering this aired in 2002. Great humor, such as why would a highschool boy be carrying a condom around conversation (09:10). Plus The MC Sousuke already seems to be a very likable character, so I look forward to seeing what kinds of situations he gets himself into...
Dec 12, 2023 2:04 PM

Sep 2014
Surprisingly great start, Im used to older shows moving way slower early on!
The animation is also surprisingly good, the show is over 2 decades old! Power of mecha! Not even sunrise but good old gonzo.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 30, 10:20 PM

Aug 2018
Start second time through, though I’ve forgotten most details.
Feb 2, 12:22 AM
May 2019
Full Metal Panic > Every other mech show (including Evangelion)
Apr 25, 11:25 PM

Dec 2018
Kind of a boring start to be honest.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

notestinet - Apr 25, 2008

116 by JoexySun »»
Apr 6, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 24, 2008

73 by DebiPS »»
Mar 17, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 23, 2008

50 by PurpleMagic »»
Feb 11, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 23, 2008

61 by CheungCrygor8818 »»
Feb 5, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Full Metal Panic! Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Apr 24, 2008

60 by Acctra »»
Jan 16, 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.