Forum Settings
Forums

The Starfleet Academy: Cultural Anthropology Department gives a quick and dirty rundown of some anime I've seen

New
Jul 25, 2008 12:39 AM

Jul 2008
5 Centimeters per Second - I've heard very good things about this, I've always wanted to see it. The way I understand it, if you like YKK you'll like this one.

Ah! My Goddess - hehe, I'm kinda surprised to see this here, I always thought it was a harem anime. I've only seen the first two episodes, sadly.

Chobits - Once again I haven't actually seen this, I want to see it, though some of the comments I've read on some of the other boards (can't remember which) seem to treat this one as a severely dumbed-down YKK with a less implicit sexual element.

Cowboy Bebop - ah, now we come to something I've actually seen. This wasn't the anime that got me into seinen and josei - this was the anime that got me into anime, period. Yes, I'm one of those cheap losers who feeds off of Adult Swim - but I bought the box set before seeing it on Adult Swim, so I was doing it before it was cool! Anyway, I have to say, having expanded my seinen and josei selection, CB is no longer at the top of my list, but it's still aged very well. I guess you can argue it's slice-of-life since it is a look into the daily lives of space-fairing bounty hunters with a common, threaded plot to only a handful of episodes, but it does it very well, with great characters to boot.

Cowboy Bebop - Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Ah, just enough to take care of my "I want more CB" fix :)

Elfen Lied - never seen it, would like to

Ghost In The Shell etc - hmmm, kinda divided about this. The first movie was pretty great, even if some of the concepts were hard to wrap one's mind around. 1st Gig...I really, really liked it - except for the bull*&%#! ending (and yes, it's enough for me to knock it all the way down to a 6) 2nd Gig avoided such a lousy ending, but overall I really didn't feel the ending was handled all that greatly, so it was enough to knock it down to a 7. The only other thing I saw was SSS, which I felt was a pretty good retelling of the first movie in the SAC setting.

Gunslinger Girl - heh, I know Yuunagi's rather fond of this work :) I know it's on IFC right now (don't have IFC!), though it's strange that a show about assassin cyborg lolis fits rather well into seinen :p I just wish I could see how that works for myself....

Honey and Clover - another one I'd like to see, I only heard bits and pieces

Ichigo Mashimaro - likewise

Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade - this one seems to be almost as landmark of a work as CB, but, alas, haven't seen it

Kino's Journey - I think Yuunagi or someone mentioned this, and it's piqued my interest, but I can't even find a Wikipedia article on it! I hear it's got a strong YKK feel to it (why do I always relate everything to YKK?)

Koukaku Kidoutai S.A.C. 2nd GIG Individual Eleven - huh? Is this the original Japanese title for GitS?

Lucky ☆ Star - hehe, everyone knows Konata and Kunagi are the OTP!

Mononoke - not much to say other than it's a nice Miyazaki work (if you ask me, just about everything he makes could fit under this club! Kiki's Delivery Service? Yes, it should be here! Howls' Moving Castle? Yes, it should be here! Whisper from the Heart? It's a CRIME that it's not listed here!)

Paranoia Agent - oh man, does this ever hit you with a sledgehammer! Even after seeing it twice when Adult Swim ran it, I'm still trying to figure this one out. The only thing I can figure out is an attempt to out Hideki Anno Hideki Anno.
Perfect Blue - I seem to enjoy this one more than most people. Got it on tape!:) Strikes me as Paranoia Agent light with a star/stalker angle, and if I'm not mistaken by the same guy.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen - is this the same as Samurai X? If so, I love this movie! This is actually one of my favorite movies period, it's just so brilliantly done, and Kenshin's character has several orders of magnitude more depth than in the series. Aww hell, I'll say it, I'm not afraid to say it - I openly cried at the end. Damn, now I've lost too much manhood to go on talking about it.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - heh, another unusual title to put here, just because it seems so..esoteric. Maybe it's the antithesis of Paranoia Agent.

...also, (and here I go relating it to YKK again), people who claim that Maruko is too possessive of Kokone need to take another look at Haruhi and Mikuru :p

Trigun - oh man, my most favorite anime of all time! A combination of Vash's character and the setting, and it's "older" animation style which just fits the theme very well. I'd argue it's even better than the manga, which goes all over the place too much for my tastes (plus the resolution was just perfect as far as I'm conerned) Can't wait for the movie :)

Voices of a Distant Star - wow, rather saccharine, but not too much. I also admire the guy who made it for having the balls to dump everything he had into a one-shot OVA, because that's how badly he wanted to do it.

Witch Hunter Robin - ehhh, supernatural themes aren't a big thing with me.

Wolf's Rain - which, oddly enough, doesn't effect how much I liked this one. In a lot of ways this was also a sledgehammer to the face in how the events impacted the characters and how the characters dealt with each other. Sadly, though, I didn't finish it because I lost track of it on adult swim and fell asleep :p

Also, the retcon endings don't help, or so I hear

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - (I'm going to talk about the manga here) - oh man, as anybody from YKK or the Cafe can tell you, well...I've spent too many sleepless nights trying to think this thing over and comprehend every angle, and I think it's had a negative effect on my health and mental facilities.

...totally worth it....

(in regards to all other titles, I have insufficient data to make a judgment them. Except Blood+. Seriously, Blood+? And you forgot Blood: The Last Vampire!)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 25, 2008 1:40 AM

Dec 2007
StarfleetCpt said:
Ah! My Goddess - hehe, I'm kinda surprised to see this here, I always thought it was a harem anime. I've only seen the first two episodes, sadly.

It really isn't a harem anime at all. Despite the fact that there are several female characters living in the same place as one male, only Belldandy has eyes for Keiichi and vice versa. If anything, it "subverts the trope". :p The other goddesses are merely pretty freeloaders.

Ditto with Urusei Yatsura, which is also sometimes considered a harem. Ataru wants all the girls, save the only one who wants him -- an inverted unwanted harem.

Sure, they have certain elements, but I don't think it counts unless there's love (or lust) from multiple female characters (or male, for reverse harems).

Sorry, just something that always bothered me.. :p
Jul 25, 2008 2:26 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't think Ah! My Goddess was so great. I've heard tons of rave reviews, but it was quite tiresome. By the end of the first series, I was done with it. I couldn't bring myself to finish the second. I haven't gotten that far in the manga, so I can't say too much about that.

I'll finish reading this tomorrow. -_-