Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2016 1:03 PM

May 2012
quite a beautiful way to end this series I must say, it's like those ending that let the viewer imagine what happens next, which in my opinion is very lovely!

Either way the pacing throughout this anime was still very lacking, but the overall story/character development was pretty decent I must say!

So all in all this was still a pretty good anime!
Mar 31, 2016 9:13 PM

Dec 2015
Really did enjoy this. I give it a 8.5/10 but I still just can't shake the gaping plot holes and the semi forced ending. Still they ending was nice but I think they should've done a OVA for an alternate ending like Fate/Stay series did
May 6, 2016 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
I'm glad they decided to finish the show with her dying, or at least that's what they make us think, at least not some random surprise that she somehow could stay alive because of "reasons".
I quite enjoyed this show actually, even though there's A LOT of questions that need answers still.
Most of them have already been said in this thread,

I thought this would be a random ecchi show but it surprised me a few episodes in.
The story was interesting and the characters ... were alright.

7/10, almost 8/10 just because of the abrupt ending and we hardly got any answers on most of the questions asked since episode 1.
PrOxAntoMay 15, 2016 3:23 PM
Jul 1, 2016 11:15 PM

Feb 2014
Are you kidding me right?

Made me watch 24 episodes for this ending?! I was already not liking this anime then this is the END?!

3/10 (3 points due to the mother-daughter relationship which I liked and Riko with her impressive adult manner for a 6 yo)
TechOtakuJul 2, 2016 12:01 AM
Sep 7, 2016 3:01 PM

Feb 2015
Good anime but that was a really crappy way to end it. Disappointed.
Sep 24, 2016 11:15 AM
Jul 2015
just finished, now feeling empty inside
i can't handle bittersweet end
Oct 7, 2016 12:35 AM
Nov 2013
A decent action/family drama Anime. 6/10.

The first half of the series is a little slow but the plot becomes much more intense and interesting in the second half.

While the Anime tries to be very emotional it only mildly succeeds to be so: none of the characters seem to react emotionally enough to the drama that happens to them.

The bittersweet ending is a good and gutsy decision. However, some of the more interesting subplots and villains felt left out as the ending approached. They should have expanded on those and drop the whole army of tanks subplot that ultimately seemed to result of poor writing.

Still, the series has fairly good action scenes and sweet moments between its characters. It should appeal to you if you enjoy badass female mutant-like warrior action and mother-daughter relationships.
Feb 2, 2017 10:01 PM
Nov 2016
Great anime with a sad ending:-(
I am sad for the little girl, her foster mom and her real mom.
Anime123_x_OtakuFeb 2, 2017 10:07 PM
Jun 7, 2017 1:38 PM

Jul 2011
Maria was cold as usual, but at time when Aoi died, she shown some feelings towards her... she was able to see her mother last time before she become dust.

Very good fight scenes.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 10, 2017 5:05 AM

Feb 2014
7/10.

lots of things left unexplained, but overall not bad
"Just because I’ve gotten weaker, it doesn’t mean that you got stronger, right?" - Accelerator
Apr 22, 2018 6:23 AM
Oct 2012
I don't understand why some people think it's a great ending with Masane dying when she's leaving her daughter, I get really down whenever I remember her sacrifice, she destroyed the witchblade and I high five her for that but that ending was so depressing. I'll touch the manga eventually.
Sep 20, 2018 7:14 AM

Mar 2016
Had a lot of potential, and I think it squandered most of it. The last two episodes aren't terrible though. A show about motherhood and NTR ('USE MY GENES!' he screams as he tries to consume someone else's before he dies) Think there's a lot of other weird stuff too. Like how everyone has a shit fit when Reina shows up, but all Takayama has to do to prove his competence is bone Masane. If anything, Reina's interactions with Rihoko featured the most tender writing in the entire anime, am going to assume had she not died that she would have ended up being a loving mother, the writing even suggests it, but because 'muh Masane' you're not supposed to feel anything when she dies and neither do any of the other characters. In general, a lot of the characters end up just being terrible people. Masane is a woman-child whose sole reason for fighting ends up being contradictory, or simply lost in a web of weirdness. Tokazawa ends up being an interesting character but he only exists to get NTR'd hard, I mean having him drive Masane over to get fucked was just too much. I feel like there's supposed to be a beautiful story about a mother and daughter relationship but it's all kind of gross, and Masane never feels like a mother. Just a weirdly written story whose emotional punches never really land and whose focus is uneven.

Also, it's triply sad for Rihoko since Takayama is probably going to spend the rest of his life in jail for running a section of a corporation that turns corpses into killing machines and her two mothers are dead but whatever. I'm going to assume that it was the Witchblade that brought Masane and Rihoko together, making the tragedy even more tragic, but would it all have been avoided if they just moved out of Tokyo?
syncrogazerSep 20, 2018 8:03 AM
Dec 4, 2018 7:44 PM
Jan 2014
Would've liked a bit more of an epilogue, but otherwise a good show.
Mar 12, 2019 7:48 PM

Nov 2016
This series turned out to be quite the surprise. I was initially drawn in by the cover and presumed this would satisfy my craving for action and fanservice. But wow, I got more than I hoped for tbh.

Admittedly, neither was the plot something to write home about, nor did I notice holes in it since I didn't really care. However, the heartwarming mother-daughter relationship along with other slice of life parts carried this series for me and fueled the emotional climax. I even found myself shedding a tear.

Pretty good overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 16, 2019 10:32 AM
May 2015
This show was beyond disappointing. As many others have mentioned before, there were plot holes out the wazoo and the character writing was weak. You know what the worst part is and what really ruined this (even though I saw it from a mile away)? The ending. Masane didn't have to die, and it was SO avoidable - her death was forced. She could've amputated her arm from above the Witchblade - Takeyama brought that up in the beginning of the show and I have no idea why they wouldn't do that now. After that, they throw it in to the middle of the ocean taking a chopper and ta-da - no attack on Japan. She tried crushing the Witchblade itself, but never tried removing her arm...

If the Witchblade ends up killing the user (and rather quickly at that), I don't see why it "defends" against being removed. It seems like it would want to continually move hosts so it doesn't risk being destroyed (like in the ending). The Witchblade killing the user in the end is completely counterintuitive (rendering the "defense" thing pointless) and frankly it seems the writers just want you to overlook the mass of these plot holes for the sake of all the fan service they provide. The 6 year old is WAY too smart and there's no explanation as to why, the unexplained amnesia is a complete cop out to not explain Masane's character, Masane ending up with Takeyama over Yusuke made next to no sense (from a pure personality standpoint)... I could go on and on, but nothing I'd write would bring anything new to the table. This show's infuriating. Ugh, I want the 10ish hours of my life back.
ADreamofBlueApr 16, 2019 10:38 AM
May 24, 2019 3:13 PM
Feb 2019
NoBadsign said:
It felt like most of the second half was really going down hill... You had a terrible opening and Maria as a main villain felt extremely forced. However, the last three episodes really picked up and improved the series as a whole. I felt quite satisfied with this ending.

Maria wasn't the main villain? Where did you get that from. She was an antagonist yes not the villain. The ugly guy who took over Douji company is the Villain.
May 24, 2019 3:41 PM
Feb 2019
I feel like some of you missed some very important facts in Witchblade and calling it plotholes. I own the series and seen it about 3 times all the way through. And specific episodes many more times than that.

Q&A time!

Where did the witchblade come from: That's the whole point. There is no origin. It existed since the very beginning of human existence. The witchblade represents the hate and war of humankind. The greed for power which is usually achieved through war. That's a very important fact. Please remember that.

How does the witchblade chose its bearer: How is any chosen one picked? Please name one show that actually explains the chosen one effect besides the shows that do it based off of family history and passed through generations. If you want my opinion based on the characters the blade has reacted with: Reina, Masane and Riko then I guess it's actually searching out a host that could potentially bring peace. Why Reina? Because she was pregnant with Riko who we know her personality is very rational. Why Masane? Because of her caring and protective nature. She's not the most responsible no but she's proven to be very thoughtful herself since the beginning of the anime. Remember how she offered her cloth for the missing flag of the boat? She's extremely determined which is a good quality in most cases.

But Maria wasn't motherly or a peace bringer: Aha but the witchblade never shown interest in Maria. The NFWS chose Maria due to her strength and skill. Because she was a murdering machine. Once again hate and war.

Why did it choose Masane and not Riko, Riko was right there: Please pay more attention. They clearly said Riko was too young at the time.

How was Masane able to destroy it: Not trying to be sexist but it's legit said at the beginning of every episode. To sum it up men are greedy and full of spite. Women are smarter and thoughtful. The power of the witchblade has been sought by men constantly but only weld by women. I believe the witchblade was a manifestation of war and hate. In the fictional world what's the one thing that always beats hate? Love. The theme of many many many m a n y anime. Masane realized she defeated Maria with maternal affection. She then looks at the ex con I robot what ever they're called and says "Oh is that was you guys need too?" And she defeated all that war and destruction with love. (Which by the way is why Riko was able to calm that one guy)

I hope this answers you guys questions
May 24, 2019 3:45 PM
Feb 2019
syncrogazer said:
Had a lot of potential, and I think it squandered most of it. The last two episodes aren't terrible though. A show about motherhood and NTR ('USE MY GENES!' he screams as he tries to consume someone else's before he dies) Think there's a lot of other weird stuff too. Like how everyone has a shit fit when Reina shows up, but all Takayama has to do to prove his competence is bone Masane. If anything, Reina's interactions with Rihoko featured the most tender writing in the entire anime, am going to assume had she not died that she would have ended up being a loving mother, the writing even suggests it, but because 'muh Masane' you're not supposed to feel anything when she dies and neither do any of the other characters. In general, a lot of the characters end up just being terrible people. Masane is a woman-child whose sole reason for fighting ends up being contradictory, or simply lost in a web of weirdness. Tokazawa ends up being an interesting character but he only exists to get NTR'd hard, I mean having him drive Masane over to get fucked was just too much. I feel like there's supposed to be a beautiful story about a mother and daughter relationship but it's all kind of gross, and Masane never feels like a mother. Just a weirdly written story whose emotional punches never really land and whose focus is uneven.

Also, it's triply sad for Rihoko since Takayama is probably going to spend the rest of his life in jail for running a section of a corporation that turns corpses into killing machines and her two mothers are dead but whatever. I'm going to assume that it was the Witchblade that brought Masane and Rihoko together, making the tragedy even more tragic, but would it all have been avoided if they just moved out of Tokyo?

Dude the hell? Reina was analyzing and researching her daughter and their relationship... she was not a loving mother
May 24, 2019 4:02 PM

Mar 2016
DutchessPsyche said:
Dude the hell? Reina was analyzing and researching her daughter and their relationship... she was not a loving mother

I don't even remember who the characters are, but I'll emphasize my use of would have ended up being which I assume I had a good reason to believe at the time and specifically noted the writing.
syncrogazerMay 24, 2019 4:09 PM
May 24, 2019 4:18 PM
Feb 2019
syncrogazer said:
DutchessPsyche said:

I don't even remember who the characters are, but I'll emphasize my use of would have ended up being which I assume I had a good reason to believe at the time and specifically noted the writing.

I'd have to disagree. She treated her eldest daughter Maria like shit. Because to her, her offspring are nothing but experiments. She even says before she died she never wanted to keep Riko she simply wanted to know if Riko could make her feel like a mother. Which I will give yes she did say she felt a flutter of emotion but she suppressed Riko so many times. Basically told her to stay to herself and play with her toys. She took no interest in what Riko wanted to do. She wanted to be a textbook mother which is not healthy.
Sep 11, 2019 7:22 PM

Aug 2013
Great, so all the monsters just wanted a mother in the end. Horrible protagonist and main antagonist, what was the point in introducing that new villain girl in the end? She just said the entire time that Maria was immature and got killed in 1 hit without any warning. Shiori was the best girl I was hoping they would restore or clone her, but unfortunately they decided to stick with that brat as the main antagonist until the end.
Mar 21, 2020 2:12 PM
Mar 2020
I like the anime. The ending was good imo. Masane may not have been the smartest or a mature person but she was a great mother. And her love for Rihoko is what that helped her to save the city.

I like this that the main character wasn't a Mary Sue type of character and actually had some character flaws.

As for why Masane could cut her arm off to get rid of Witchblade, I don't think it was possible since the Witchblade wasn't just in her arm. It was in her whole body.
That is why she recovered from the injuries quickly.

So I don't think that idea of cutting her arm could work.(Also if it did, then there was this danger that the Witchblade would instantly go to attach itself to Rihoko.)

I consider the witchblade itself as the main villain of this Anime.
May 19, 2020 8:52 PM
May 2020
Ok obviously some people here are confused about why the daughter is able to make the weapons feel a certain way and why she makes her mother feel that way. Another big topic I’m going to discuss is why Musane was able to destroy the witchblade along with everything else. First off Rhiko as it was said in the anime is the daughter of the reina who was a perfect match for the witchblade; however, she gave birth six years back and it even said that she was no longer compatible well when you have a child you tend to pass genes down. Rhiko was one of the first neo gene children and because she was birthed naturally that is what probably made all the difference she had the same mother but not that old dude who ran NSWF as a father. This was the best explanation you must pay attention to little details or you will get confused haha. Next is the explanation for the destruction of the witchblade and the ending. So everyone knows how Musane feels so strongly about her daughter that was the point at the end it was to demonstrate that a bond shared between mother and child is more powerful than an indestructible weapon. She might not have been the brightest but she obviously would do anything to protect her daughter and in the last fight scene that’s what made it obvious to her what needed to be done because when Maria was killed she saw her mother and all she wanted to be was loved. Thus giving Musane the thought of what needed to be done.
Sep 2, 2020 11:51 AM
Sep 2020
I watched it after over 10 years and what is the meaning of the shell returning to Rihoko? Is that Masane doing it?
Mar 23, 2021 9:00 AM
Feb 2021
I don't know about anyone else but I was able to understand masane and her motherly love which I liked the most and that feeling of wanting to protect her child THAT I have also felt in real life in some way to certain people but I couldn't do it. So her sacrifice also made me cry because she was able to save her daughter. 😭😭😭
Mar 16, 2022 2:13 AM

Aug 2018
An enjoyable series, but I’m not sure what happened in the end.
Jun 20, 2022 12:20 AM

Apr 2013
Pretty disappointing last episode, I thought it would be a great fight but it was a pretty boring ending.

Overall the fights in this show were quite bad, there wasn't much dynamic in it. The SoL-ish scenes were quite good though. I also really liked the artstyle, but the story was just pretty flat. 5/10
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witchblade Episode 13 Discussion

enkil - Apr 2, 2009

16 by Inexplicable »»
Nov 30, 2023 8:45 AM

Poll: » Witchblade Episode 16 Discussion

enkil - Apr 3, 2009

11 by alexanderkershaw »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:57 AM

Poll: » Witchblade Episode 21 Discussion

enkil - Apr 5, 2009

13 by Mortimm »»
Jun 1, 2023 2:34 PM

Poll: » Witchblade Episode 23 Discussion

enkil - Apr 7, 2009

8 by Gator »»
Jun 20, 2022 12:14 AM

Poll: » Witchblade Episode 22 Discussion

enkil - Apr 6, 2009

10 by Gator »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.