Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2008 9:00 AM

Dec 2007
I got bored and I didn't see this so I thought I would.
Naota is a normal Japanese 6th grade boy (although a little cynical), but when his older brother leaves for America to play baseball, his brother leaves his homeless 17 year old girlfriend Mamimi behind. Mamimi is sending mixed signals and advances to Naota, and he doesn't know what to do about her. But to make matters worse, Naota's world is totally turned upside down when he is run over by a woman on a Vespa. During their first encounter, she hits him over the head with her guitar, which then causes a horn to grow out of his forehead. She calls herself "Haruko" and her presence changes Naota's life to even further insanity.

Characters

Naota: Naota Nandaba,12, is the main character. His name is derived from the Japanese word for "honesty" and his father named him Naota because of that (Fooly Cooly). Unbeknownst to him, he has the "right kind of head" to be used as an N.O. channel. He is obsessed with appearing mature and attempts to act nonchalant. This is most expressed in his monologues which open and close each episode where he continues to claims that "nothing amazing ever happens here" despite the show's surreal and often absurd happenings. Naota idolizes his older brother Tasuku, carrying around Tasuku's baseball bat, and even hanging out with Tasuku's old girlfriend Mamimi.

Mamimi: Mamimi Samejima, 17, was Tasuku's girlfriend, though she hits on Naota since his brother left Japan. She is a truant high school student with pyromaniacal tendencies; she also smokes a lot and spends most of her time under a bridge. She is often seen with a camera, and always smokes a worn cigarette with "Never Knows Best" written onto the paper.

Haruko: Haruko Haruhara,19 (or so she claims), is an energetic, spontaneous pink-haired girl from outer-space and investigator for the Galactic Space Patrol Brotherhood/Stellar Fraternity. Mamimi observes that she looks at least twenty years old but, considering that she is of an unknown alien species, neither Mamimi nor the viewer has a relevant frame of reference. She rides a yellow Piaggio Vespa.

Canti: Canti is a medical robot with what looks like a television set for a head. He was manufactured by Medical Mechanica, but taken over by Atomsk as a way to escape MM. After having his head broken by Haruko he is recruited by her as an assistant, however he proves to be no good for much other than washing dishes and fetching drinks for the family.

^_^ So basically anything that you didn't understand about flcl you can talk about here and hope it gets cleared up for you.
Click Meh >_> Loading...
Aug 8, 2008 4:44 PM

Dec 2007
Haruko's not of the human species? O_O
Aug 23, 2008 3:41 PM

Feb 2008
Sugarpott said:
Haruko's not of the human species? O_O

Yes o_o
She's an alien. And a fake nurse :D

Dec 17, 2008 4:00 PM

Dec 2008
And a nutcase
"I'll take a potato chip....AND EAT IT!!!!"
Jun 27, 2009 4:46 PM

Feb 2009
What does N.O. stand for?

Jul 22, 2009 6:04 PM
Jul 2009
Haruko uses a bass huh? And I saw FLCL (furi kuri) was an OVA. Does that mean I have missed something, like earlier episodes`?
Dec 9, 2009 2:27 AM

Dec 2008
has the manga more plot?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2008
There's really not much to "understand" about FLCL. FLCL is a coming of age story plain and simple. Most everything else is random after-thought. There's some references here and there but don't fool yourself into thinking this is anything more than a tale about a boy's crazy journey through puberty but then again whose isn't? I know this was one of the aspects I related to the most. That surreal experience of growing up and wanting to grow up, to be an adult. That desperate pursuit of adulthood. The plot is pretty much non-existant but with like many other anime, that is hardly a a problem with the series overall. Unless of course you must absolutely have your anime with grand plots and whatnot.

FLCL ended up becoming a very iconic show for me. The characters, the town of FLCL, the name FLCL, the music, the animation/art style, etc. I still remember clearly the day it first aired on [Adult Swim]
alarmedDec 26, 2009 4:25 PM
Apr 17, 2010 12:48 PM

Feb 2010
this is nothing like Gurren Lagann i don't even get this story
Apr 17, 2010 12:49 PM

Feb 2010
this is nothing like gurren lagann i don't even get what the story is about
Apr 24, 2010 4:06 AM
Dec 2007
Nothing to get, I doubt they even thought somne of the stuff through well enough. That's why I really didn't like it anyway. It's just...random, too random.

May 5, 2010 9:04 AM

Apr 2008
I really didn't have a single pixel of an idea of what's this anime is about. I actually slept while watching it and never had the motivation to go back to it. Who are the good guys and the bad guys? No idea...maybe the boy is surely the good good guy.

Is this supposed to be random or does it portray something? If it does portray something, it failed to reach me...I don't know if I'm the one with problem but IRL I don't know anyone who can understand this.

Jun 16, 2010 7:10 AM

Jun 2010
Sylpheed said:
I really didn't have a single pixel of an idea of what's this anime is about. I actually slept while watching it and never had the motivation to go back to it. Who are the good guys and the bad guys? No idea...maybe the boy is surely the good good guy.

Is this supposed to be random or does it portray something? If it does portray something, it failed to reach me...I don't know if I'm the one with problem but IRL I don't know anyone who can understand this.

It's actually a story of a kid going through a rough patch and having to grow up. Or something similar, i found the explanation on some forum one day, because i used to think the same thing :] lol

side note: my cat's name is Takun because the day we got him i was up at five in the morning watching FLCL lmao. The name fit him so well :D
Jun 16, 2010 7:39 AM

Jan 2010
i don't understand why this anime is rated so high(over 8)...it barely made any sense O.o
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 23, 2010 7:00 AM

Apr 2010
Jan 5, 2014 12:16 AM

Jan 2014
clannad4ever said:
i don't understand why this anime is rated so high(over 8)...it barely made any sense O.o

Well that's sort of the err....I don't want to say beauty, but it's something like that. It's very wacky, barely makes any sense but it's sort of fun just to watch. You don't really need to think while watching it, just watch it and (usually) enjoy it. Nothing really complicated about it, no systems that need to explain and no dramatic character development.
It's a simple show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

242 by Devonnius »»
May 12, 9:54 PM

» I don't understand the hype, should I rewatch? ( 1 2 )

C4llum - Aug 8, 2021

79 by ghoulcustomer »»
May 11, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Mar 7, 2008

284 by Thurzix »»
Apr 29, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

125 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.