Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 27, 2012 9:03 PM

Jul 2011
Lemonysunshine said:

So now we know what Himari took from Kanba in the first episode was part of his life to rejuvenate Himari's. And geez is it really necessary that duo persona Himari to strip herself in the process of obtaining part of Kanba's life source?

RIGHT?? I feel like they're being incentous in a way since their siblings and all. I'm going all what the fuck at the end of each episode.
this anime is mindfucking me right now
Jan 27, 2012 9:36 PM

Jul 2011
GigaSPX said:
PaninaManina said:
Hi guys!

About the Penguindrum and Apple/Apple Tree.
Remember about the two boys talking while passes by front of Takakura Home in first episode?

"
-Like I said, the apple is the universe itself. A universe in the palm of your hand. It's what connects this world and the other world.(World of the Not Living - Himari is dead.)
- "The other world"?
- The world Campanella and other passengers are heading to!
- What does that have anything to do with an apple?
- The apple is also a reward for those who has chosen love over everything else"
- But everything's over when you're dead.
- It's not over!
- What I'm trying to say is that's actually where everything begins!
- I'm not following you, at all.
- I'm talking about love! Why don't you get it?
"
And so... Himari (and Momoka) is dead.
Mawaru Penguindrum is the fight of love against death.
A try to surpass the "destination of fate", the "destine of all living beans" also know as "Death" and bring back the people you love, people that "don't deserve to die", by your love.

The reason you the heart of Kanba was used as a Penguindrum is because the Penguindrum itself is love. The Princess of the Crystal probably is Momoke, trying to give to Tabuki, the one she loves utmost, the symbol of their love. Their children.

That's really an interesting analysis you have. Good to keep this in mind for future references.

yes indeed. I have a feeling Shouma is Himari's fated love. watch me be right. But you know what. I'm just going to enjoy and wach the next epsiode because I'm done especulating.
Jan 27, 2012 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
and that is why Kanba cant be the one to take Himari's life. because he's not Himari's destined one. If the apple represents love/death...
maybe because Shouma is the one that has to do it. MAYBE LOL.

i dont know anymore
*watches next episode*
Feb 14, 2012 5:20 AM

Oct 2011
the wheel of life that is called unmei rolls on and on and we know not which side will turn up for us........i've seen good men die while bad men lived and no one knows why....................this episode really made me cry..............this show just keeps getting sadder and better as it goes on - excellent!
Apr 13, 2012 6:04 PM

Sep 2008
Kanba, being a fucking badass brother once again.
Damn, he's such a great character, not to mention that sexy yelling voice.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 2:46 PM

Sep 2011
Favorite episode so far. My eyes were glued onto the screen, it was much more interesting than the previous episodes in my opinion.
Jul 23, 2012 4:56 AM

Jan 2008
DrHouse said:

Now, it's just suspicious on it's own that there's anything connecting Ringo and Yuri. Their only connection should be Tabuki. But the decoration on the door looks kind of like a peach to me. It might be a pretty big jump, but, from what little I can see of the illustration on Momoka's shirt, it looks like that also might be a peach... or an an upside-down heart. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but, like Ringo's name means apple, Momoka's name means peach.

Yes, I noticed that, too. It was actually kinda striking in the last episode. It might be hinting at Momoka.

As for the Mary's Lambs story...The Apple Tree might actually be the mother? The story is about how Mary returns and the tree has withered. It was also "the first thing" to bring Mary joy, so this would fit with it being the mother.
Maybe he actually made pact with Satenoshi (e.g.?) so she could stay alive after some incident? Maybe the mirror breaking incident? The father wasn't there at that scene and Himari "suddenly" got sick after that happened to her mother and had to leave school, so that might be the "punishment" she got? It might be an entirely different event though.

But who would the "Goddess" represent then? The bunnies belong to Satenoshi, so...Princess of the Crystal? =_= Hm.
SaorinJul 23, 2012 6:39 AM

Oct 26, 2012 9:13 AM
Jan 2012
What a great and sad episode. I am so confused :S

And once again, more pointless fanservice. This show is awesome, but it would be even better without this kind of crap.
Nov 30, 2012 11:53 AM

Jun 2009
Lol, at some people questioning the nudity here. Look, one of the main characters is a god damn stalker who was intending to rape someone. I think all bets are off.

Loved this episode. Particularly the Marie's little lamb monologue. I agree with Raven_Shinobi that "Mary" more than like represents the Takakura sibling's father who struck a deal with Sanetoshi.

namelessregret said:
What a great and sad episode. I am so confused :S

And once again, more pointless fanservice. This show is awesome, but it would be even better without this kind of crap.

Again, I think your idea of what fanservice is is all kinds of screwed up. You never actually saw anything AT ALL. How is that fanservice?
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 30, 2012 12:02 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 13, 2012 3:12 AM

Apr 2012
Oh god, emotional roller coaster all over again. Everything is so minute about this anime, every detail, every shot is of significance, I personnally find it impressive. Starting to think this is Brain's Base masterpiece. Baccano was great, but sometimes I wonder if the gore added anything to the show.

Not going to discuss the fanservice matter here, which is imo negligible.
Jan 2, 2013 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
Himari's alternate ego, or whatever she is, just can't pull off the magical girl transformation scene, so it ends up looking like a striptease.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Jan 21, 2013 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
so she is dead again...
Mar 2, 2013 2:14 AM

Jun 2012
Salinga said:
Also, in the beginning is it Kanba or Sanetoshi talking about fate? I figured it was Sanetoshi since he was shown in the scene.
I thought it was the doctor speaking, but I could be wrong.

BlackxAce00 said:
Ps. I think Sanetoshi is really the "God of fate" and is not really a good or bad person. He is just watching and making sure everything goes the way fate play's it.
Doubtless you've already probably seen the rest of the series by now, but if Sanetoshi is the God of fate, then why was he with the two black bunnies, who told "Mary" to take the ashes.
Mar 9, 2013 9:21 AM

Aug 2012
It feels like I'm missing something because the storyline still doesn't make sense to me.
Mar 12, 2013 5:21 AM

May 2010
ThreePercent said:
It feels like I'm missing something because the storyline still doesn't make sense to me.

I also appear to be struggling a little..
Reading some of the comments on here has helped but a bit - but each episode (in particular this one) just throws more 'HUH?s' at you.

I definitely like this show, but for some reason have yet to really emotionally connect with it.
Mar 29, 2013 8:10 PM

Jan 2010
DAMMIT PLEASE NO
Apr 1, 2013 5:04 AM

May 2012
Nooo! Please don't tell me she really died this time :'( Really amazing episode a good small but sad story! But I really don't want her to die! I hope that pink haired dude can help her in a way!
Apr 2, 2013 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
4.875/5
Great episode, very serious.
Apr 19, 2013 8:11 PM

May 2008
Could do without the incestuous overtones tho..
Apr 30, 2013 4:40 PM
Mar 2009
Holy crap, the ball-shaped people grew actual faces.

All this backstory and it's still not enough. Their parents looked like normal people too.

Oh god, why did Himari have to strip for that scene? And I don't get it, she already took part of Kanba's life? Was that the kiss from the first episode?
Jun 4, 2013 7:09 AM

Nov 2012
WHAT?!
himari die? no no no thats not good but looks like the pinky guy is a good guy after all huh? btw who is the 2 guy behind him? the kuro usagi? :O
Jul 7, 2013 6:05 PM

Feb 2013
"What... just happened?" is how I'm feeling right now.

Excellent episode.
Sep 18, 2013 2:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
So it's confirmed that the parents were responsible for the gas attack in 95. But why were they still out and about and having Himari? Did they get captured at a later date or something?

Himari dying at this point was unexpected.

So many questions. And this director answers a lot of questions but in symbols (which I'm not very good to pick up upon!).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 21, 2014 11:55 AM

Oct 2013
Wtf, watching this show while tired is a bad idea.

Glad to see I'm not alone in being creeped out by the incest - "oh I'll sacrifice my life for my sister... iiiiif it means I can get a little action" lol rly 'bro'?
May 14, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2007
So from what I gather, in order for Survival Strategy to work, you have to strip down... but keep your knee socks on please. At least make it sexy for the weirdos attracted to 13-year-old girls. Honestly, that scene was disgusting, in addition to the incestuous overtones. Doesn't matter whether it's in Himari's body or not. Would YOU want to fuck your sister if a different personality were in her body? I don't think so...

Anyway, Himari dying wasn't really that unexpected... She did die once already. Interested to see how it will be played out.
Aug 31, 2014 3:32 AM

Aug 2013
My chest hurts ;__; Please let her live again.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 8, 2015 7:23 AM

Feb 2013
ouch Himari :( really love the soundtrack in this ep

Mar 15, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2014
kinda got lost on the Mary story and how it's the twins' fault for Momoka's death. I'm confused, is Kanba in love with actual Himari or the weird penguin Himari?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2015 12:18 PM

Dec 2013
apples everywhere
May 17, 2015 11:53 AM

Jan 2015
so... Kanba goes home and is called by Sanetoshi claiming that Himari will die once more.
Shoma goes into detail of what happened 16 years ago, as Shoma and Kanba’s parents were high ranking members of a terrorist organization and were responsible for a terrible incident which killed Momoka.
Himari still possessed loses her strength and tells Shoma and Ringo to acquire the Penguin Drum and to stop “them”.
Himari is then transferred to a hospital and Kanba is called by Shoma.
He arrives to find Himari lying dead and tries to once more make a pact to give her his life, but it does not work as she says she must leave to “The Destination of Fate”.
Just as Himari seems to be truly dead, Sanetoshi appears... interesting
Jul 22, 2015 1:30 AM

Apr 2014
This is so crazy, I'm losing myself in it, should have watched sooner
Nov 2, 2015 2:01 PM

Feb 2012
Obvious allegories to a real tragic event.

So I am guessing with the penguins and antarctic exploration thing, their parents' motives were environmental?

Rabbits now? Is this going to be heroic penguins vs evil rabbits?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 3, 2015 2:02 PM

May 2014
What a strange but entangling episode.
Jan 5, 2016 6:32 AM

Apr 2014
This show is basically going down Alice's Rabbit Hole
Jan 9, 2016 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
i am so confused, the use of symbolism is poorly execucted.
Apr 2, 2016 5:39 PM

Aug 2014
I dont know the feeling of this episode, sad, depressing, or mysterious.
Anyway.. Poor Himari.

Great Episode.
Apr 3, 2016 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
Nah, Himari's not dead. I thought that too when her penguin disappeared but we're only halfway through and the main plot is about saving Himari, it wouldn't make sense.

The ashes represent the Penguin Hat? I don't really know the Mary thing confused me.

Anyways, the scene between Kanba and Himari was fucking beautiful 10/10
May 6, 2016 6:14 AM

Feb 2015
overall thought from episode 1-12 :
tbh, i like the plot. well, it was kinda hard for me to understand the plot but i atleast can understand the main plot. the mary story which Shouma was talking about in this episode was talking about their parents. what happened to their parents and why their parents did all of that, i think. so i'm guessing their dad have another treasure other than their children and he described it as a tree which can produce a golden fruit. but one day it died or burned into ashes (?) And that was when the 2 usagi came down from the sky. and i'm assuming that usagi are this two little brat :

but i'm not really sure the guy in the middle is the god who punished Himari. there is no reason for what i just said. the possibility that the guy in the middle might be a god is high but i don't know why i'm feeling that the guy in the middle might not be the god.

the two usagi told him that if he take the ashes from the torch on the shrine, it can turn the tree back to normal again. and so he stole it. the god went mad. and punished one of the little lamb. and that was Himari.

just gonna be honest that was a big revelation from the past even tho there are still many things that need to be revealed in this show such as; What is that hat ? The end of the destination ? Who is that pink hair guy ? Who is Masako ? how can Shouma and Kanba know her ? There are 2 hat (Masako has the same hat too) ? What happened to Shouma, Kanba and Himari's mother ? what happened to their dad too (probably jail, but maybe i'm wrong), etc. there are many question, but either way, i'm enjoying this anime. tbh, it was a really fun show especially with Ringo xD and one more question, What is penguindrum (that diary) ?

And i kinda knew that Kanba did something like that with the hat in the very beginning because then the hat said "let's initiate survival stategy" and they didn't continue the scene and just cut it. but there was a scene where Kanba kiss Himari while she was sleeping, so i came up with a conclusion that Kanba and that hat did something after Shouma fell, in the first episode. but again, this episode have many emotions in it and i felt the sadness when Himari was dying. the pink hair guy will revive her again i assume. great episode overall.

there are still 12 more epiosde and i'm looking foward to it.
YizelTroMay 6, 2016 6:25 AM
May 29, 2016 12:09 AM
Sep 2015
How the hell do they calling a terrorist attack an "accident"?
Dec 21, 2016 5:23 AM

Dec 2015
A huge "fuck you" to this anime. I'm out.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 7, 2017 4:42 PM

Sep 2016
I wonder if Himari is going to stay dead. That would be really surprising.

Whenever the pink haired guy talks it bothers me so much. It's like his voice doesn't match his face at all.

edit: oh god, I skipped an episode. brb going back
Feb 10, 2017 3:06 PM

Jul 2014
Dat bonding, seems Tabuki and momoka were really close. Himari isn't really gone...?
Apr 14, 2017 11:41 AM

Mar 2016
i hope she doesn't stay dead but when the third penguin disappeared I LOST MY SHIT ;_;

Nov 13, 2017 5:27 AM

Jan 2017
I really, really don't trust that guy. Something's off, something's fishy. Aaand i don't think she's dead for good.

That story was kinda wicked, like i think i got the idea but at the same time i don't.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Aug 6, 2019 4:38 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was amazing and seems like a turning point in the show.

New subway station mentioned: Kokkai-gijidomae. I wonder if eventually every single station on the Marunouchi line will be referenced in some way. Kasumigaseki is mentioned again, direct reference to the station where the sarin attack occured. Although in the world of penguindrum there seem to be some explosions instead of the gas. By the way, there were 2 Kenzans before the attack, what was that? o.o

Also, the references to Night on the Galactic Railroad are killing me ;_;
Kamba is really the Kampanella and the metaphoric scorpion of this story. Even his hair color is the same.
St0rmbladeAug 6, 2019 5:01 AM
Oct 5, 2019 8:11 PM
Mar 2017
whelp that was a weird incest scene
Feb 13, 2021 3:17 PM

Apr 2020
i cried like a little bitch
Nov 16, 2022 10:10 PM

Sep 2017
dont even know whats happening anymore.

unhealthy incest ensues once again.

And yeah for some reason his parents decided to go along with plan because shouma for some reason

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 16, 9:18 AM

Jul 2016
The fact that we've never had a clear look at Momoka yet is pretty mysterious even if it's probably done on purpose.

I've never wanted to be Welcomed to Rock 'n Roll Night this badly in my life. Even the penguins weren't goofing off despite the serious scene like they usually did. RIP for the second time, Himari (and penguin hat Himari).
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

219 by basskiller »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 13 Discussion

Yumekichi11 - Oct 10, 2011

48 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.