Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 13, 2018 11:51 PM

May 2015
What the fuck just happened?
Guess I'll find out next episode.
Aug 6, 2019 2:37 AM

Aug 2017
Yay, finally the sarin attack is basically mentioned directly, I was not wrong with spotting all the references in previous episodes ^_^

This event seems to have had an enormous effect on the world of "Mawaru Penguindrum" - basically every important event happened 16 years ago (even the love frogs appear once every 16 years, lol). And there's some sort of curse.

The art direction is fantastic as always. I love the background signs in the talk between Kamba and Natsume that give more insight in what's going on through symbols (something we're already aware of through " Revolutionary Girl Utena" and its famous bizarre student council scenes). The last scene in the train is great too - apart from the obvious references to the sarin attack, a train is a symbol of one's unconsious, and thus is used to show the internal struggles of a character (see Shinji from NGE, for instance). The train motif is also important in Night on the Galactic Railroad, which heavily influenced Penguindrum - although the meaning of that motif is more dark there, it's a vehicle that takes people to the world of the dead. Considering the latest events in this show, I'm not even sure who's dead or who's alive anymore.

Oh, and Mario is a girl.

I also noticed that while Ringo was telling Shouma about Momoka's death in the gas attack, a red circle (a subway symbol) was floating on the screen. The same circle is present in the opening behind Sanetoshi. Is Sanetoshi's real identity Oginome Momoka? M-Masaka...

-----------------------------

PrOxAnto said:

Did I miss something obvious? - I never saw a mention about a gas attack in the anime, at least not yet, I have no idea where people are getting this from.

Also I've never heard about the attack until now.

You did, though it might be not really that obvious (nothing is in Ikuhara's anime, he's a man of metaphors and symbols). I personally was "prepared" for the revelation based on my observations in regards to the show's portrayal of the subway and everything related to it - there're some references to the incident if you do the research (I did some speculations in the previous episode threads, like with the names of the train stations, the subway line used, the time, etc).
Here the gas attack was mentioned "directly" because Ringo and Shouma were sitting inside a train with circles that had 95 inside them. 1995 is the year of the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack in Tokyo subway, and Ringo said that Momoka died in *that* incident 16 years ago (the show takes place in 2011).

P.S. Since it's anime, Ringo basically mentioned an in-universe equivalent of Aum attack. The reference is clear though.
St0rmbladeOct 1, 2020 4:52 PM
Oct 1, 2020 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
St0rmblade said:
Yay, finally the sarin attack is basically mentioned directly, I was not wrong with spotting all the references in previous episodes ^_^

Did I miss something obvious? - I never saw a mention about a gas attack in the anime, at least not yet, I have no idea where people are getting this from.

St0rmblade said:

PrOxAnto said:

You did, though it might be not really that obvious (nothing is in Ikuhara's anime, he's a man of metaphors and symbols). I personally was "prepared" for the revelation based on my observations in regards to the show's portrayal of the subway and everything related to it - there're some references to the incident if you do the research (I did some speculations in the previous episode threads, like with the names of the train stations, the subway line used, the time, etc).
Here the gas attack was mentioned "directly" because Ringo and Shouma were sitting inside a train with circles that had 95 inside them. 1995 is the year of the Aum Shinrikyo sarin attack in Tokyo subway, and Ringo said that Momoka died in *that* incident 16 years ago (the show takes place in 2011).

P.S. Since it's anime, Ringo basically mentioned an in-universe equivalent of Aum attack. The reference is clear though.

So it really isn't obvious, at least not if you don't know anything about the attack that occured in real life.
Incident at this point of time could mean anything to me, nor does it mean the anime has anything to do with real life events, despite the the references.

Anyway, the next episode cleared up this question quite a bit.
PrOxAntoOct 1, 2020 10:58 PM
Nov 16, 2022 8:43 PM

Sep 2017
I hope Ringo grows old as a virgin hag and dies. Not to mention how she broke up tabuki and his fiancee because of brainwashing him.

Shouma deserves someone lot better than him.

Also insane troll logic at end when shouma blames himself for momoka's death.

Ringo crossed the line long ago, but this is much much worse. She can never go back. Just because you think you are momoka reincarnation doesnt justify the shit you do.

and no, she doesnt love shouma like tabuki's blonde dumb fiancee suggests. its pretty much plot convenience based shipping.

I hope she ends up alone while tabuki and shouma lead happy lives of their own.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 16, 2022 8:48 PM

Sep 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
Shouma and Ringo should not end up together. That relation is too unhealthy.

Himari is still calling Ringo her friend. That shit was okay with letting her die! A person's past is not their fault, but their future actions are.

Ringo is the worst character in this story, yet Shouma is the bad guy for trying to stand up at all. This makes no sense at all!

Agreed. Ringo is pretty much the worst. She acts like a mary sue and faces no consequences for her actions. And we are supposed to root for her ending up with shouma coz she is a tsundere or smth.

It is downright abusive and toxic. Even human waste is less toxic than Ringo.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 23, 2022 7:16 PM
Jul 2022
what the fuck is going on
Feb 17, 11:16 PM

Nov 2022
So they are connected back into one incident including the lady with black penguin and her brother Mario. Fate truly laughing at them.
Mar 15, 10:31 AM

Jul 2016
I know Ringo is confused and frustrated over her feelings and "destiny" but man I feel so irrationally sad over the knocked over curry cabbage. The siblings poured their love into that (not the same kind of love she poured into Tabuki's coffee), and considering it's her you'd expect her to respect curry a little more.

Discussing the survival strategy without Rockin' over Japan first is absolutely criminal.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.