Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 20, 2018 1:07 PM
Mar 2018
Man, this is one of the shitest anime I've ever seen
May 25, 2018 3:27 PM

Feb 2018
Well, I liked the ecological message, and I liked the character of Nausicaa, but other than that, this was a real snooze fest, barely managed to finish it.
Dec 17, 2018 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
I watched this movie once when I was nothing but a little boy, and was in a Ghibli fever. It didn't seem all that interesting to me back then, and the only thing that stayed with me was the lasting impression that Nausicaä didn't wear pants somehow, but it's gone now. lol

But watching it again now, even though it feels like the first time, makes me see the strengths of this movie better, and it's good. It caught my attention from the start to the end, and I caught myself on the edge of my seat during the most tense moments of it. I found it funny, and sad how humans, even when facing something that could bring their extinction, still turned to arms against one another for power.

I really liked some of the characters, Nausicaä was a strong and kind girl. She wasn't afraid of putting her life in the line to save the lives of others, even if they weren't humans. Asbel was one cute, and cool guy, I liked to see him traveling with Yupa, another cool character, in the ending sequence. I will just tell myself that he is going to settle down in the valley, and stay there close to Nausicaä. A pity his twin sister died in the conflict. Obaba was also pretty cool. Well, I guess that's it, for a moment I even expected a tragic ending, really solid movie.
Mar 4, 2019 3:04 PM

Nov 2018
Hmm I am not sure if I liked it. It had a very promising setting which could have gotten explored better if it wasn't just a single movie. Overall, I am disappointed. Not as good as the score suggests and I am fairly sure the manga must be better. The animation was creative n very good tho. Would rate it it around Princess Mononoke among ghibli movies, wasn't particularly fond of that either. Then again I am not fond of Hotaru no Haka either tho I acknowledge its a solid work.
OrangeCloudsMar 4, 2019 3:11 PM
Mar 27, 2019 9:56 AM

Jun 2015
made 35 years ago and the situation the movie is focusing on till something we're discussing today.
Apr 13, 2019 3:45 PM
Jan 2019
What a fascinating story.
It conveys a very important message about the world, humanity and what nature does to protect it. We are the cancer of the planet so I would not be surprised if this kind of thing happens someday. Maybe in the future the world will be in this kind of situation. Mankind will pay for everything he has done.
But, it also teaches that all is not lost, there will always be a pinch of hope and good-hearted people in this world.
May 12, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2018
A very exciting film in the action scenes, the work done by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, is valuable despite the fact that the film fails to express all the potential it had in the paper counterpart. Graphically it is simple in the backgrounds, but they are however well designed. The narration is not very engaging and unpredictable, according to someone because of the embryonic nature of the film. Another gem of the film is the OST, which is well accompanied by the whole narration, an excellent work by Joe Hisaishi.

9/10
May 12, 2019 11:44 AM

Sep 2018
A very exciting film in the action scenes, the work done by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, is valuable despite the fact that the film fails to express all the potential it had in the paper counterpart. Graphically it is simple in the backgrounds, but they are however well designed. The narration is not very engaging and unpredictable, according to someone because of the embryonic nature of the film. Another gem of the film is the OST, which is well accompanied by the whole narration, an excellent work by Joe Hisaishi.

9/10
Jun 9, 2019 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
Rewatched after 5 years, not as good as I remembered but still one of the best anime movies out there. Hopefully they'll readapt the manga some day.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Jun 16, 2019 11:16 AM

Nov 2016
From a technical point of view a really stunning movie, I also loved the themes, especially about mankind and it's relationship with nature. Then we had Nasicaä who was a fantastic lead character. Also very interesting settin, but I think there's a lot more to explore, so kinda sad that it was just adapted as a movie.
FMmatronJun 16, 2019 11:19 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 7, 2019 4:33 PM

Dec 2016
It gets a deserved 8/10, really good but the ending "oh yeah you get healed dw" was something between cringe and deja vu..
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Aug 10, 2019 12:53 PM
Jan 2018
Why did they kill her father anyway ??

And thought it was weird that on the ship they where to kill all those people from Petite even though thier was civilian on board what's the point.

Thought it was a bit scummy that they would destroy a village and it's people just to eliminate the other group that was holding the valley hostage .

I'll give it a 7 mainly due to nausicaa and the cat thing that followed was with her.

This is my 2nd Ghibli film with Moving castle being my First I gave that a 7 also

Having trouble deciding which one is better I liked many things from both movies which is why I gave them same score
Mattinator95Aug 10, 2019 1:16 PM
Oct 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Oct 2016
Another great adventure through an immersive world.
The creature designs were great and the world design was breathtaking.
This film aged very well and it's message is still very important.
Definitely gonna be a film I rewatch.

Oct 19, 2019 3:35 PM
Aug 2019
Just watched this for the first time so here are my remarks:

- I liked the post-apocalyptic/fantasy setting and the way the movie shows it to us
- Nausicaa is such a great character, calm and peacefull but not afraid to fight when it's needed
- The theme of man's relationship with nature was great too

- I think the characters could have been more explored though, like the 2 Tolmekian guys

All in all I loved it, it's a 9/10
Jan 1, 2020 12:46 PM

May 2016
Great movie even though this was their first project its a legend on its own 8/10

I really loved Naussica's character and her voice was fit perfectly.. can't say I enjoyed those
children singing in the background tho but I found it pretty funny.
Mar 17, 2020 6:53 AM

Nov 2019
What a boring movie. 4/10
Mar 19, 2020 1:54 PM
Nov 2015
This movie is radical in many different ways. From now on this is my go-to Earth Day movie.

It changed my views on bugs. Surely it's an amazing movie if it could change your views on something so basic & generally hated.
Apr 3, 2020 10:47 AM

Dec 2018
This is my first Hayao Miyazaki anything and I was blown away by every aspect of this movie. I can't comprehend how a movie like this came out in 1984 and I haven't seen anything like this ever. Nausicaa as a character was amazing. I was at the edge of my seat all the way through the second half. I actually cried at the end.

Now I'm beyond excited to dive into the art museum that is the Studio Ghibli anime. I made the right choice of starting with Miyazaki's first movie based on one of his own mangas. Studio Ghibli, here I come.
Apr 11, 2020 8:56 AM

Dec 2018
Really enjoyed this movie. Loved every second of it’s run.
Apr 12, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2019
This was my first studio Ghibli movie. Very good!
May 24, 2020 9:23 AM

Feb 2019
I'm not a Ghibli fan, and so far I've watched only Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) and Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa (Castle in the Sky). Both were good, but they were just not for me. I expected the same and less of Nausicaa, especially considering how old it is. But instead, I was pleasantly surprised. This is actually my favourite Ghibli movie so far! I actually liked watching it. Although early on it felt kind of slow and uninteresting, it picked up and eventually I was absorbed into it.

I really liked Nausicaa. She was really awesome. I think that's a big part of why I like this movie, along with the various peoples and their different looks and all.

I'd say this deserves an 8/10.
May 29, 2020 3:44 PM

Jun 2014
Old but gold. Some scenes were a little boring, though.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 3, 2020 8:27 AM

Nov 2017
It's just Miyazaki's film, no matter how intense the scenes were I just relaxed on my couch and enjoyed the film.

Jun 29, 2020 2:47 AM

Jan 2012
Watched this again just now for only my second time and the first since 2006 so I remembered very little about it. My goodness, I was tearing up during the climax. I'm starting to think 8/10 wasn't good enough of a score for me to give it...
Aug 2, 2020 5:15 AM

Mar 2020
That forest with them weird ass bugs gave me some Hollow Knight vibes.

Wish the whole movie was them just going through the forest and showing us all types of different living things in there instead of this boring ass political war that nobody gives a flying fuck about.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Sep 1, 2020 2:29 AM

Aug 2018
While this movie isn't the first one of Miyazaki I ever watched, It's the first one in a long time.

The movie is absolutely beautiful with stunning animation from that time and fantastic music from Joe Hisaishi. It also feels like it wants to send a serious message about the possible future and problems humanity might have to face.

A very powerful film and my start to watch all Studio Ghibli films during this month.
Oct 19, 2020 12:01 PM

Jun 2017
This anime movie is a humdrum. Not my cup of tea, sad to say. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who'd ask. For me, it's not really that remarkable.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Nov 10, 2020 4:48 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Was really nice. How she loved all the bugs <3 xD
I couldnt I disike bugs a lot xD

May 4, 2021 2:26 PM

Feb 2020
I had high expectations for this movie, and the beginning was very promising, but the further it went, the more disappointed I became and in the end, I'm very conflicted.
It had its good moments, that's for sure. The story in itself is good, the message is great (though arriving with the subtlety of a whale), the music really adds to the emotions.
However this movie encountered the issues I have with the majority of Miyazaki's works.
The characters are underdeveloped to the point I felt like I didn't actually know them. That's a real shame because I wanted to get to know them, especially Nausicaä (she seemed like such an interesting character at first but has been reduced to the "perfect female lead" type of character, a type I can't say I'm very fond of). And this really prevented me from being as invested as I wanted to be.
Another thing is that for the majority of the movie, nothing remarkable happens. Sure, there is a clear conflict, but it's only during the climax that I really did feel the tension. For most of the movie I had a hard time caring about what was going on, simply because the execution didn't lead me to feel how important was what was going on. And while I did feel something during the climax and everything afterwards, it still felt underwhelming, because I didn't feel invested before.
I also think that the different plot points were happening and resolved in a kind of lazy way, which made it even harder for me to feel the tension (though it still managed to make me believe that Nausicaä was dead at the end. Deep down I knew she wasn't but I still had my doubts. To be honest, I actually think they should've made her die, it would have been so much more impactful that way.).

So I feel very bad for that because I wanted to love this movie, but unfortunately I'm going to give it a 6/10. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying it was bad, just very underwhelming.

I'm still gonna read the manga, I heard it is better than the movie so I'm interested.
FafetteMay 4, 2021 2:33 PM
Aug 5, 2021 1:35 AM
May 2020
this movie has quite possibly the least interesting post-nuclear setting imaginable
Sep 28, 2021 12:03 PM
Jun 2016
I'm going to try and watch all the Miyazaki/Ghibli films by air-date order. Ok, this isn't a Ghibli film but you get my point. I want to see how the style of the films evolve.

To be honest, I had moments of uneasiness while watching this film. I mean, it's set in a post-apocalyptic world.

Hmn, the ending felt rather open-ended with the Torumekians just going away. There's just so much more to explore, like why is there a Toxic Jungle or what the Torumekian capital looks like. I guess the manga reveals more, but I'm more of an anime person. But I highly doubt they'd adapt the rest of the manga, who knows? Although apparently, the it was finished way later than the film. That could explain the rather open-ended feel of the film.
Oct 3, 2021 3:29 AM

Apr 2012
movie is good
but i just hate giant ugly bugs
so i caught myself simpatising princess Kushana and her ways of solving problems with FIRE
Nov 25, 2021 9:06 PM

May 2019
I refuse to believe she is wearing pants, nothing I try can make me see it that way
Dec 7, 2021 11:47 AM

Jan 2021
Finally got around to watching this after knowing of it for decades, but was pretty unimpressed after hearing so much hype for it. It kind of lost me when I realized about 45 minutes in that it was a military film. I'd have rather it been just Nausicaa going on adventures exploring the tainted environments and collecting her spores for research while interacting with the bugs and whatever followed. The setting and ecosystems were the most unique and interesting parts. I couldn't care less about the armies and power struggles of nations. It was about halfway through I thought to myself "I've seen this before...". I think what's going on is so many other works, games, shows, other movies, etc. have all taken inspiration from this that watching it now it instead is the piece that feels derivative. Of course it'd be the opposite, but for a first viewing in 2021 it feels like it's been done before, many times. It's not the movie's fault, but I can't turn back time and watch this before everything else now.

That aside, the world and lore of the movie were the most interesting parts but also the least explored. You get little snippets of explanation about what the corrupted regions are about but then it shifts back to focus on politics and the armies' issues instead. The actual story and characters were pretty flat to me. Nausicaa was a white bread protagonist - overly nice and pure to the point of perfection where everyone loved her. She had no real personality other than just being "a good person" and came off as being bland and generic. Except for that bizarre scene where she went full ninja assassin and killed a bunch of trained soldiers effortlessly, yet then spent the rest of the movie still harping on how killing is bad and to seek peace. It seemed oddly out of place. The movie had too many side characters, like why so many old men? I couldn't even keep them separate in my mind, and the second in command general seemed to serve no real purpose. I doubt if he was removed the movie would've changed at all. Overall it needed more focus on the mains and fleshing them out more as they all felt two dimensional and one note.

As a whole I felt 2 hours was a bit too long but also an hour too short for all they were trying to cram in. Too many factions going at it with each other and none getting enough time to fully develop. Of course the animation was fantastic and visually it's great but like a lot of other Miyazaki films it was more style over substance. I'd imagine the manga probably explored the backstory and lore of the world more but in the movie it was glossed over too quickly. Lastly the thought of bugs resurrecting her was silly. Nowhere up to that point was it foreshadowed that had these healing powers until they just whipped it out at the end because of course they needed to after flattening her like a pancake. I have no idea how her body could've remained perfectly intact after being ground to dust by a stampede of mammoth bugs that have leveled entire cities, but because Nausicaa was evidently the "chosen one" because of the "prophecy" (another over-used cliche I dislike) she needed to survive - that and the manga was still ongoing so she couldn't just disappear suddenly. Though to that point I think they should've made the film adaptation its own self-contained thing with its own conclusive ending instead of leaving it open for more to happen with her since there were no other film sequels.
Feb 9, 2022 6:02 AM

Sep 2016
This is my second Miyazaki movie ever (the first being Lupin III: Cagliostro no Shiro), and honestly this probably my second favorite anime movie. I just love everything about it, the characters might not be the deepest, but they are super charming, the setting is one of the most interesting post apocalypse settings, the atmosphere was top notch, and the animation was great even by today standards.

From what I understood, this wasn't a full adaptation of the manga, so I'm definitely reading that.
Mar 6, 2022 2:22 PM

Feb 2020
Well, it was a fine movie.

6/10
Apr 11, 2022 12:07 AM

Feb 2021
If I'm gonna be honest, I really didn't enjoy much. fine ig as it is. btw was she even wearing pants?
May 8, 2022 2:17 AM

Sep 2018
I thought it was OK, it just has the same problem I have with a lot of films and that's not enough time to develop such a world and/or it's characters. Great setting, but we really only find out surface level info about so many things.

I also found it a little boring if I'm being completely honest, which is quite rare considering the director. Soundtrack was amazing though, I may have to look them up on YT for another listen at a later time. 6/10.

I hear the manga goes into much greater detail though...
Jul 23, 2022 9:44 AM
Nov 2020
Damn, still a good movie. If we put the ohms into AOT, they'd be replacing the wall titans, lmao.
Sep 18, 2022 2:36 AM
Jan 2022
gonna watch it because kanye was watching it
Sep 21, 2022 4:04 AM

Jul 2020
This movie is an astonishing work of art. The only thing I don't like about such movies is that the aggressors never really get any kind of retribution while the "good guys" die like flies and in the end it's just happily ever after for everybody.
Oct 25, 2022 1:46 PM

Mar 2015
It's Miyazaki's masterpiece imo. All of his works outstanding but this has the farthest reach
Apr 16, 2023 7:56 AM
Oct 2020
so

___..___._____
May 22, 2023 9:19 PM

Mar 2020
So damn atmospheric, great art direction, and just about everything was amazing.
Jul 29, 2023 4:39 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
So the first time I watched it I fell asleep right at the second half so I didn't know how the finale came to be. This time I tried watching it again and it seems like all the political conflicts that isn't delved into properly as well as the dragged exposition was why I did so. At the very least I can say that I was invested in the world, the animation was so-so but specially the music was pretty soothing and atmospheric. Not sure how I feel about the characters.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Aug 15, 2023 2:37 AM
Feb 2022
saengdao said:
made 35 years ago and the situation the movie is focusing on till something we're discussing today.
There are books that were written hundreds if not thousands of years ago and they're still relevant and are discusses excessively while I'm sure that people won't give a f about Nausica or anything made by Miyazaki in 50 years or so. So your point is?
Aug 15, 2023 2:43 AM
Feb 2022
This was absolute trash like everything by Miyazaki and of course it's ridiculously overhyped as everything by that man (or his studio). Dude is so full of shit in every interview and a notorious miserable old fart but he hates dudes and wants women to rule the world so he good.

I could write a 300 page essay about what's wrong with this movie and the zoomers and consoomers in the comments would still be like "muuh but strahng whamen and good message!!!111" so it's just not worth it.

Aug 20, 2023 11:03 AM
Feb 2020
pretty sad but Good
Nov 7, 2023 4:04 PM

Oct 2018
A lot of stuff regarding the state of earth are left unresolved but the part with Nausicaa and the people of the valley has complete story. In a way, it does feel like a weird movie but that's probably due to being an incomplete adaptation as the manga continues far beyond the movie's release. Still I like this movie quite a lot. It's very dense even with almost a 2 hour mark. Love the blues used in the forest. The world design and the insect designs have a lot of intricacies, just the sheer manner in which the Ohmus move is horrifying and a sight of wonder.
Dec 30, 2023 2:26 PM

Aug 2022
Excellent film! Although not technically not a Ghibli film I think it's perfectly reasonable to consider it a one.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Almost to the 40th anniversary

mydaddy - Mar 8

8 by DarkConan1412 »»
Mar 14, 3:24 AM

» Should this be remade into a tv series or multiple movies?

filthyfrank8142 - Dec 19, 2021

12 by Dhukauttyn »»
Jan 12, 11:00 PM

» Monstrosity of a dub

magapersonx - May 4, 2023

6 by Chewbaccaccino »»
May 4, 2023 9:18 PM

» Sub or Dub?

MortalMelancholy - Sep 23, 2017

2 by magapersonx »»
May 4, 2023 1:51 AM

» She's A Flasher!

BritishBeans - Mar 30, 2014

23 by Treyv0n »»
May 24, 2022 11:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.