Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2011 6:00 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Baseball ep. against the scary guy (ended up from a famous team enough to almost going to Koushien), with Alice as leader. Including Meo.

Alice blaming Narumi for messing up her everyday life. Alice is sensitive to sun.

Even for a strong pitcher like Yondaime, that guy hit his ball.

lol @ the name just because Alice is the leader (NEET Teddy Bears).

That guy is even stronger when he "remembered the feeling", and Alice is participating!

So she knew that he won't pass 21 balls, so she ordered Narumi to wait.

lol @ Alice playing the game and the trio not knowing. So it involves with the short girl next ep.?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2011 3:17 AM

May 2011
lol'd at the end where hitoshi lost 9-0 and it was alice beating him. had my suspicions that narumi purposely fouled all those balls to tire out Nemo then wait for the right pitch. Yondaime pitched a good game surprisingly but sad he tired out and had to retire.

was nice to see mea make an appearance. looks like the next ep involves ayaka and her brother whom she's not heard from in awhile.
Sep 3, 2011 5:17 AM

Oct 2010
This episode was literally enter Gang Baseball gaming! Where winning will solve our problems. Indeed it did quite nicely. I find that Yuuko in the following,

is to be stared eternally like that. I swear I can look at that all the time being in daze. While I find Yuuko’s efforts in the spoiler
to be splendid! Grandiose! Think about it! She almost had not exercise nor any training and she still ran and made it! WOW! That’s fantastic for a frail little girl like Yuuko. I am very proud of Yuuko for being a good sportsman despite not going outside at all.

On the other hand I find ridiculous the following,

A plushy cage in a car? Well certainly baffling TBH. Although interesting to look at.

Best gag ever was with Minli in the spoiler
let’s see, guy sees breasts and oh shit ball in the face! Makes quite the ROFL.

About the preview, OK something is up with Ayako’s brother and I fear the worst shit in the spoiler
while I do find that Narumi here looks damn well dressed. If Ayako’s brother is involved in drug selling or worst, this will be thee ultimate finally case should they do it nice and intense. More later.

BTW Image Stitches have been done in the spoiler
got to admit that Yuuko doing baseball looks really well on her. Nemo on the other hand in them looks as though as anything I have seen so far.
Yumekichi11Sep 3, 2011 7:53 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 3, 2011 8:28 AM

Jul 2010
Japan are crazy about baseball every freakin anime need one eposide of baseball :P
Sep 3, 2011 9:58 AM

Aug 2010
All I could think about during this one is how damn hot Meo is. I want her to be more important character...

Anyway, next episode it looks like the "serious" drama will start up again.
Sep 3, 2011 10:01 AM

Jun 2009
Min-san was the only good thing about this episode. At least next one seems better with some loldrama.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 3, 2011 10:07 AM

Oct 2009
Very interesting baseball episode. Now we deal with Ayaka's brother next.

Sep 3, 2011 10:20 AM

Sep 2010
5/5 for me, this anime is always so serious and dramatic, having an fun episode like this is quite nice.

Alice was awesome, though I honestly don't have a clue about what she did to get that third strike, I'm not a baseball person. Though I do think I could get into a baseball anime if it was made like Eyeshield or Prince of Tennis : )
Sep 3, 2011 11:30 AM

Jun 2011
Alice can't go anywhere without her toys, aw, how cute.
Next ep the melodrama continues.
Sep 3, 2011 11:34 AM

Dec 2010
Shamelessly stolen from another board:

American posters? In MY anime?
Sep 3, 2011 12:10 PM

Apr 2010
Seems it was all about the cliffhanger i wonder what happened to Ayaka's brother judging from the preview it seems to be drugs related.

Alice should be more in the sun and get some nice fresh air containing looked up in a room or a car is bad for your health.
The match was interesting in a way tho i don't know what they where talking about with all those terms.
First of with Alice when she needed to hit the ball, she didn't hit the ball yet she could run around the field.
The question is why and what happened?
The there where the foul balls with Narumi he hit the ball but what exactly went wrong?
Also as long as the players keep hitting fall balls the will have to repeat that sequence isn't there some kind of penalty?
That stance of Narumi was a challenge from what i am able to tell then there is the forkball which probably has to do with the way the pitcher held the ball when he threw it.
There different way of trowing the ball and how dose this effect the ball?
Can someone with some knowledge about baseball explain these questions?
Sep 3, 2011 12:19 PM

Mar 2010
Episode was fine. Narumi was lookin pimp standing against the water tower in the preview. Made me chuckle.
Sep 3, 2011 12:22 PM

Aug 2011
Sexy Narumi with the coincidental wind blowing hair act, lookin' like a G.
Cute how Alice got involved :3
Sep 3, 2011 1:20 PM

Jul 2010
Haha, nothing like a baseball episode. Every anime can fit one just like fitting the beach, hot springs, etc...
Sep 3, 2011 1:25 PM

Oct 2010
notsureifsrs said:

Spider Man! Funny thing is that game War Club is in fact = to Golden Axe. COME ON! That logo looks so Sega like, it's incredible. Right? That fighting game also has some rather similar features as Death or Alive or can it be Tekken?

Sep 3, 2011 1:43 PM

Jun 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
notsureifsrs said:

Spider Man! Funny thing is that game War Club is in fact = to Golden Axe. COME ON! That logo looks so Sega like, it's incredible. Right? That fighting game also has some rather similar features as Death or Alive or can it be Tekken?
look heres also a poster with the joker on it next to spider man.

this is a good fun episode that was better after the last arc and i looks finally like we will get to the plot that the description is talking about the dug
Sep 3, 2011 1:47 PM

Oct 2010
First of all been a while since I replied to you like that but let the show start!
Aversa said:
Alice should be more in the sun and get some nice fresh air containing looked up in a room or a car is bad for your health.
Yeah it is not to mention taking a bath regularly. Whoever said Yuuko was weak to the sun should also take into consideration a natural system defense due to it being inside all the time. I know because I had the same problem until I got used to back to the sun. That being said it is Yuuko fault that what she did to her body now is having negative effects such as the sun being harmful to her instead of beneficial.
Aversa said:
The match was interesting in a way tho i don't know what they where talking about with all those terms.
First of with Alice when she needed to hit the ball, she didn't hit the ball yet she could run around the field.

Omitted Ball because I think she already had 3 of them at that time and 2 strikes.
Aversa said:
The there where the foul balls with Narumi he hit the ball but what exactly went wrong?
The angle and reflection that ball went off at the speed it was thrown. Narumi got always the wrong angle to hit the ball. Until that last shot.
Aversa said:
Also as long as the players keep hitting fall balls the will have to repeat that sequence isn't there some kind of penalty?

Wrong! After a set of foul balls there is a strike called. So you are allowed to have a certain number before STRIKE! Basically.
Aversa said:
That stance of Narumi was a challenge from what i am able to tell then there is the fork-ball which probably has to do with the way the pitcher held the ball when he threw it.

There are many ways to throw the ball with finger symbols. It affects path of the ball and sometimes that bath being simple as tricky itself so that you get a effective strike. The pitcher variations are muscle mass, stance and coordination as major factors to affect the pitcher itself.
Aversa said:
Well Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_rules
they have you need there!

Sep 3, 2011 1:49 PM

Jul 2009
Some trivia, courtesy of UTW:

The title of this episode, "That Summer’s Twenty-One Pitches", is a reference to a non-fiction novel Enatsu's Twenty-One Pitches. "Natsu" uses the same kanji for "summer" (夏). The novel was about the seventh game in the 1979 Japanese baseball playoff final. A legendary match where the relief pitcher Yutaka Enatsu held off the opposing team in a no-outs, bases-loaded situation after 21 pitches at the bottom of the ninth inning.

This episode totally reminded me of the Denpa Onna baseball game.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 3, 2011 2:31 PM

Feb 2009
Aversa said:
Seems it was all about the cliffhanger i wonder what happened to Ayaka's brother judging from the preview it seems to be drugs related.

That stance of Narumi was a challenge from what i am able to tell then there is the forkball which probably has to do with the way the pitcher held the ball when he threw it.

- Alice got on base because of an uncaught/dropped third strike. If the catcher drops the pitch on a strikeout the batter becomes a live runner and can run to first
- You can't strike out on a foul ball, so batters will often protect the plate and fight off pitches by fouling them until they get a pitch they're waiting for and can hit. Narumi was purposely doing this and waiting for the forkball
- Different grips = different pitches, the pitcher's go-to pitch was a forkball which drops as it reaches the plate
Sep 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty awesome the way they found out his techniques by studying a character based off of him in a baseball game! Of course it would be pretty much impossible for them to win anyway, but you gotta expect the protagonist saving the match in the last pitch. =P

We're gonna meet Ayaka's brother next episode! Looks like there's some mystery around him which will result in another case. I actually hope this'll bring Narumi and Ayaka a little closer even though AlicexNarumi is fine too. =3

Sep 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Aug 2008
Alice was really cute at the end, playing Powerball with everyone else from her room :)

Lol, nice baseball episode. It seems like Japan likes baseball better than America does.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 3, 2011 5:05 PM
Oct 2010
Fasten your seat belts, high turbulence ahead!
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 3, 2011 5:15 PM
Dec 2007
weeabooweeaboo said:
Aversa said:

- Alice got on base because of an uncaught/dropped third strike. If the catcher drops the pitch on a strikeout the batter becomes a live runner and can run to first
- You can't strike out on a foul ball, so batters will often protect the plate and fight off pitches by fouling them until they get a pitch they're waiting for and can hit. Narumi was purposely doing this and waiting for the forkball
- Different grips = different pitches, the pitcher's go-to pitch was a forkball which drops as it reaches the plate
Very well explained. Alice made a bit of theathrics of the last strike by making it seem like she was actually gonna contest the strike call, sent a run signal to the baserunners and casually started to move toward first while the catcher was stunned. A good question would have really been, what would Alice had done if the catcher had NOT failed to grab the last strike.

I'm also not buying that Natsumi can all of a sudden learn exactly how to protect the zone in a real situation. It's one thing to do so in a simulation, but in real life there's too many factors that could have easily mess it up, plus there's no way of perdicting exactly how a pitcher will react (people are not robots). But this is anime so let's not think too hardly about it.

I might also add, The Fourth didn't retire because he was tired. He was literally bleeding from the wounds he suffered during the last two episodes. Alice tells Natsumi he's barely receovered enough to be out let alone to play in a position that requires such unnatural effort.

Sep 3, 2011 6:34 PM

Jan 2011
Looks like the drug case mentioned in the synopsis is approaching. Anyone else see the Street fighter parody at the arcade, NEET fighter?
Sep 3, 2011 7:29 PM

Oct 2010
Leon-Gun said:
I might also add, The Fourth didn't retire because he was tired. He was literally bleeding from the wounds he suffered during the last two episodes. Alice tells Natsumi he's barely recovered enough to be out let alone to play in a position that requires such unnatural effort.
Indeed so does say the spoiler
I did admire his guts to continue though and love that Hison tease of Souichirou,

Few other things:
  • If the bat was aluminum would the following in the spoiler
    happen? Or the bat would be slightly bent? I wonder about that one.

• Wonder how fast is that ball in the following spoiler
    so that it does that effect?

• No matter how I see it, Yuuko hand in the spoiler
    is so well made that I want to hold it and lick it. Seriously it's well done in that part.
That's all for now.

Sep 3, 2011 8:50 PM
Sep 2009
Kittyman said:
5/5 for me, this anime is always so serious and dramatic, having an fun episode like this is quite nice.

You and I both, buddy~

This episode was awesome for being so simple; in fact, it's arguably the best episode in the entire show as of right now~! Why couldn't there have been more lighthearted episodes like this?
Sep 4, 2011 12:24 AM

Jan 2010
weeabooweeaboo said:
Aversa said:

I'd just written a response to all of these points but when I was looking for where to put the quotes, I noticed that they've been answered well already.

I'll just add these two points...

Re: the uncaught third strike... Sometimes you'll see a catcher who didn't catch the third strike quickly pick up the ball and tag the batter. It's because of this rule.

Aversa said:
That stance of Narumi was a challenge…

By pointing his bat this way, Narumi was calling his shot. It's an overused cliché in TV and movies. Babe Ruth famously called a shot in a World Series game in the 30s, pointing over the centre field wall. He then hit a home run there. Everyone who has done it since is a bum.

But Narumi, while he may be a bum (ask Alice), was trying to goad Nemo and evidently it worked. Generally though, the best way to deal with a forkball is to not swing at it as they typically won't be called strikes. But a good one is hard for batters to lay off of.
Sep 4, 2011 2:11 AM

Apr 2010
weeabooweeaboo said:

Thanks that explains allot.
Baseball isn't a popular sport here in Europe is we hardly hear anything about it.

Yumekichi11 said:
First of all been a while since I replied to you like that but let the show start!
Aversa said:
Yeah it is not to mention taking a bath regularly. Whoever said Yuuko was weak to the sun should also take into consideration a natural system defense due to it being inside all the time. I know because I had the same problem until I got used to back to the sun. That being said it is Yuuko fault that what she did to her body now is having negative effects such as the sun being harmful to her instead of beneficial.

There are some skin diseases where the sun could be harmful for you some of them are from birth others develop because of your environment.
If you stay locked up in a space where sunlight can't reach you defense system won't develop a immunity against it.
We need sunlight yet to much sunlight can also bad for you.
And people who come outside allot develop a better immunity against the harmful parts of sunlight mainly UV rays.
Most of us get a nice tan during the summer this is one of the natural responses of the body to protect itself.
But if your always locked up in a confined space and the only time you get out is when the sun is down you won't get a tan so you body has a harder time dealing with the sun.
As most of us know from being in the sun to much your skin gets burned if you have a tan this won't happen as fast then when you don't have a tan.
Sweat also contains a form of natural sunblock tho we can't really effect that.
I agree with you that when living in a confined space for a long time like Alice your body needs to get used to the sun again.
And this has to happen in small steps else you get major burns.
Then there is fresh air which is also needed having to little of it can cause headache lack of sleep and cab be harmful for your skin.
Basically if you don't go outside you end up looking like a junky.

Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
The angle and reflection that ball went off at the speed it was thrown. Narumi got always the wrong angle to hit the ball. Until that last shot.
So he was just waiting the right time to hit the ball.

Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:

Wrong! After a set of foul balls there is a strike called. So you are allowed to have a certain number before STRIKE! Basically.
That explains it seemed weird that Narumi could hit a foul ball so many times.

Yumekichi11 said:
Aversa said:
That stance of Narumi was a challenge from what i am able to tell then there is the fork-ball which probably has to do with the way the pitcher held the ball when he threw it.

There are many ways to throw the ball with finger symbols. It affects path of the ball and sometimes that bath being simple as tricky itself so that you get a effective strike. The pitcher variations are muscle mass, stance and coordination as major factors to affect the pitcher itself.
Aversa said:
Well Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_rules
they have you need there!
Thanks for the link i will have a look at it.
Mockman said:

Aversa said:
That stance of Narumi was a challenge…

By pointing his bat this way, Narumi was calling his shot. It's an overused cliché in TV and movies. Babe Ruth famously called a shot in a World Series game in the 30s, pointing over the centre field wall. He then hit a home run there. Everyone who has done it since is a bum.

But Narumi, while he may be a bum (ask Alice), was trying to goad Nemo and evidently it worked. Generally though, the best way to deal with a forkball is to not swing at it as they typically won't be called strikes. But a good one is hard for batters to lay off of.
So in Narumi's case it was a challenge to make the pitches angry but normally it's a way to ask for a shot.
Sep 4, 2011 2:23 AM

Dec 2010
Liked the episode there arn't many animes that have a good baseball episode. Love how they still used there detective work for a game of baseball.
I kinda knew that Ayaka would have something to do with the last case.
Sep 4, 2011 4:29 AM

May 2010
lol,alice is getting addicted to baseball now,isn't she.

So next up is ayaka's arc...waiting for it now.
Sep 4, 2011 6:02 AM

Dec 2010
Lol @ the team name.I can't say anything more since I know almost nothing about baseball.
Sep 4, 2011 8:56 AM

Apr 2010
nice ep.haha..lol at alice..XD kawaii!!
Sep 4, 2011 9:48 AM

May 2010
I still don't get baseball but it was okay !!
Sep 4, 2011 11:36 AM
Aug 2011
NEET Teddy Bears Coach... :D

Sep 4, 2011 11:56 AM

Jun 2011
It remembered me the baseball match in Denpa Onna^^
Anyway, that was an awesome episode 5/5
Sep 4, 2011 11:59 AM

Sep 2009
Next episode looks exciting. I wanted to see more Ayaka.
Sep 4, 2011 1:29 PM
Jan 2011
So this episode is all about baseball.

Do you know that even in baseball, Yakuza's would even do some fixing?
Sep 4, 2011 4:56 PM

Sep 2008
I'm glad I still recognize the forkball even though I have no interest in baseball.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2011 9:21 PM
Sep 2011
My first post here :)

Hopefully I wasn't the only one who saw "Super Neet Fighter 5"

Sep 5, 2011 12:28 PM
Nov 2010
Alice <3
ReaperCreeper said:
Anyone else see the Street fighter parody at the arcade, NEET fighter?

Lol. I was about to post this question
Sep 5, 2011 8:16 PM

Oct 2010
Ghost93 said:
My first post here :)

Hopefully I wasn't the only one who saw "Super Neet Fighter 5"

Don't miss Sonic at the top left. ^^
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Sep 5, 2011 8:20 PM
Sep 2011
RobUsaB said:

Don't miss Sonic at the top left. ^^

HAHA i didn't see that
Sep 6, 2011 8:53 AM

May 2011
Well they made baseball interesting to me, always found them very boring to watch. It is fun to play though.

Meo returns for an episode and was the highlight of the ep.

Ooh looks like the final mystery is gunna start next episode, what the synopsis has described. They gunna be dealing with "Angel Fix" now.
Sep 6, 2011 8:57 AM

Jul 2010
Worst episode of the show... lol Yakiob... aagghh...
Sep 6, 2011 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
I'm only doing this for Ayako and Thai girl..finally some plot with her brother.
Sep 7, 2011 12:31 AM

Aug 2008
Nice to see Alice getting some sun. and she also became addicted to the arcade game. how cute.
Sep 8, 2011 9:50 AM

Dec 2009
Alice is the only reason why i still watch this show. I don't like her personality much, but she's damn cute. And it's nice to see her out of her room. C:
Sep 9, 2011 12:34 AM

Nov 2007
how the hell could he see where he was driving with all those stuffed animals in the car?
Sep 9, 2011 12:44 AM

Sep 2010
Anime + baseball episode = epic win, every one of them is good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2011 4:05 PM

Mar 2009
Sure, let's have a random baseball episode when we only have 13 episodes. =|

Previous arc was decent at least.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Alice, I cant understand her.

Playcool - Jun 5, 2016

3 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 4, 2023 7:13 PM

» When they make season 2 of Kamisama no Memochou

Sugram22 - Aug 30, 2013

20 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:03 PM

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

212 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 12, 2023 6:37 PM

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Jul 2, 2011

306 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 11, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

74 by Gator »»
Jul 22, 2023 3:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.