Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2011 10:02 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just adore how the kids are like in their own little world, even when the grown-ups are sitting next to them.
You gotta love the relationship that Daikichi and Haruko have though.
Dang Haruko's husband has a nice car...

Reina forgetting what her mother told her seconds ago made me chuckle.
I want to get married someday.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2011 10:10 AM

Oct 2010
HawthorneKitty said:
You gotta love the relationship that Daikichi and Haruko have though.
Always good comedy stemming from those 2.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 18, 2011 10:57 AM

Aug 2009
Cute episode! ^^

I really like Kouki and Daikichi's relationship!
Aug 18, 2011 11:06 AM

Nov 2008
Very cute episode, Reina is no longer annoying either. Man Rin can fuss and Haruko was shocked at seeing Rin cook which made me lol.

Aug 18, 2011 12:33 PM

Jun 2010
SHE PICKED UP THAT BAG WITH ONE HAND!!!!! What is this I don't even....

Aug 18, 2011 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
Hoppy said:
Very cute episode, Reina is no longer annoying either.

I was thinking the same thing.
The under the covers scene was cute.
Aug 18, 2011 12:44 PM

Aug 2010
Reina is still a bit on the bratty side, but I don't think of her as a little monster any more, either. And yeah, Rin & Reina under the covers was adorable.

And I LOLed at the scene in the supermarket.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Aug 18, 2011 12:50 PM

Aug 2010
Reina telling her friends what her mom told her not to was hilarious.
Aug 18, 2011 12:50 PM

Dec 2010
It's a little odd that the fist thing the husband did was apologize for his wife to Daikichi. Guess that's conservative Japan again.
Aug 18, 2011 12:56 PM

Jul 2010
iCab said:
Hoppy said:

+ 1

Another adorable episode. What more could you want.
Aug 18, 2011 1:06 PM

Jan 2010
this anime is definitely getting better with each episode! it's sooo adorable.
i really didn't realize how much i was enjoying it until episode six.
kouki is my favourite LOL.

only 11 episodes to the series..that's disappointing. i'll definitely pick up the manga when it's finished.
Aug 18, 2011 1:21 PM

Jul 2010
kion said:

only 11 episodes to the series..that's disappointing. i'll definitely pick up the manga when it's finished.

Just a word of caution, the second part of the manga is very...iffy.
I'm not gonna say you won't like it, but...the tone and feeling changes drastically.

Just a heads up.
Aug 18, 2011 1:53 PM

Mar 2011
iCab said:
Hoppy said:

Yup, I agree. She's a sweetie.
Aug 18, 2011 2:14 PM

Jun 2011
As much as I disliked Reina at first, I can't help but feel sorry for her. Quarrelsome parents suck.
Kouki = Ftw.
Aug 18, 2011 3:11 PM

Jul 2010
Homestuck said:
kion said:

I'm not gonna say you won't like it, but...the tone and feeling changes drastically.

Just a heads up.

What do you mean by "iffy" exactly?
Aug 18, 2011 3:14 PM

Jun 2011
prismheart said:
Reina telling her friends what her mom told her not to was hilarious.

AGREED!
lots of cute little laughs through out the episode.
It's exactly why I watch this show.
+ the overall cuteness factor of coutrse! ;D
Aug 18, 2011 3:19 PM
Apr 2011
That was nice, I liked it.
Aug 18, 2011 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
This episode shows why the first part of Usagi Drop is so good. Daikichi learning about parenthood from three different moms, going through their own situations and problems.
Aug 18, 2011 3:58 PM

Aug 2010
Only 4 episodes left T_T
Aug 18, 2011 4:05 PM

Jun 2010
cute episode :)
Kouki is still one of my favorite characters lol, he and Daikichi are so alike
Aug 18, 2011 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
I'm guessing there will be a season 2 later, and that the timeskip will be after season 1.
Aug 18, 2011 4:23 PM
Apr 2010
I loled hard at some of the parts, like Houki going "You got married?!!" and when Reina told her friends they ran away. But my god, the adult topics; they really hit some major points: comparison between a single parent vs having a spouse. Not to mention the emotion and logic that goes on with it. It's just so deep!!!!

And of course in the ending they show how good of a relationship Daikichi and Rin has with Yukari and Kouki. I want to see this relationship BLOSSOM!!!

5/5
Aug 18, 2011 4:25 PM

May 2011
nznznz said:
It's a little odd that the fist thing the husband did was apologize for his wife to Daikichi. Guess that's conservative Japan again.

I totally would have responded "What are you apologizing to me for? Haruko is family. She is always welcome here."

To me Daikichi seems to have a closer relationship to Haruko than he does with Kazumi. Haruko seems like a second sister to him.

Daikichi is so socially awkward about situations. The whole super market thing could have been handled easily if he just introduced his cousin calmly and said she was visiting them for a few days. But it's amusing to see him have panic attacks. Women can see through those in a heartbeat. I'm sure Kouki's mom has it pegged that he likes her, as does Haruko. Heck, I'm sure Rin and Kouki has it figured out too.

I like how this show does a good job of giving you bad first impressions of Reina and Kouki, but as time goes on you realize they're just kids with distinct personalities.
Aug 18, 2011 4:42 PM

Aug 2008
Rin and Reina are really good friends, aren't they? And Daikichi seems to be getting a lot of advice about parenting from lots of people. Haruko realizes that divorce is not something to be taken light of.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 18, 2011 5:51 PM

Feb 2010
-Vid said:
This ep had some pretty funny moments. :P Most noticeably was the kids' ignorance with just saying embarassing things out loud. Don't you guys just love that irl too? It's so cute and awkward.. lovely. :D

Hahah YES. I love that irl. Kids are hilarious... in doses.

GREAT show. I'm REALLY hoping for a season 2....
Aug 18, 2011 6:30 PM

Nov 2008
Good episode, it's a very nice series.
Aug 18, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2010
omg the last scene was my favorite of the whole episode.. daikichi & rin with kouki & his mom. xD they seem like a family!!
Aug 18, 2011 6:53 PM
Feb 2011
Yeah, she cries and Daikichi doesn't even give her a hug or console her? Don't be a jerk, man. :<

-Vid said:
I was really afraid that Haruko and Daikichi might hook up...
I wouldn't have minded. :D
Aug 18, 2011 6:58 PM

Apr 2009
Oh man, this episode really hits right at home for me. I feel like I don't want to grow older than I am right now to deal with more adult issues, but that's just me being in denial. LOL *sighs*

Cirris said:
nznznz said:

I totally would have responded "What are you apologizing to me for? Haruko is family. She is always welcome here."

I agree, I think I'll probably say the same.

xSimplicity said:
omg the last scene was my favorite of the whole episode.. daikichi & rin with kouki & his mom. xD they seem like a family!!

Well they're almost there. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 18, 2011 9:02 PM

Jan 2010
Nice episode i liked it
Aug 18, 2011 9:41 PM

Jul 2010
So cute Reina and Rin are good friends!
Aug 18, 2011 9:46 PM

May 2011
luvtospooge said:
Homestuck said:
kion said:

Just a heads up.

What do you mean by "iffy" exactly?

the manga take a...turn....not all people would be happy with..(me for example) but there are some people who liked it soo i cant say how everyone will feel...its just like sos and so said its a drastic change...thou im happy that theirs more masako in the 2nd part.
Aug 18, 2011 10:02 PM

Dec 2008
So...heartwarming... <3 Yet, at the same time, presenting and dealing with some pretty heavy topics without making it melodramatic. I liked the comparison between the situations of the three adults in raising kids alone.

nznznz said:

It's just a polite thing, as in you're concerned that you've (by your relatives' extension) caused trouble for someone else. Technically, Haruko and Reina did disrupt Daikichi's life without even asking, even if he didn't mind, so apologizing to him is acknowledging that fact. At least, that's how I'm interpreting it :3

godspeedspike said:
Yeah, she cries and Daikichi doesn't even give her a hug or console her? Don't be a jerk, man. :<

The Japanese aren't really known to be very touchy-feely.
Just as an example, I've hugged my Japanese grandfather maybe once or twice in my memory and they were the most awkward hugs I've ever had in my life. It's almost as if he doesn't know how to hug. Most of them time, we settle with patting each other's backs or shake hands. Yes, I shake my grandfather's hand, but for him it seems to be the most comfortable way of greeting people.
Aug 18, 2011 10:14 PM

Nov 2010
-Vid said:
I was really afraid that Haruko and Daikichi might hook up...

i thought the same for like 5 seconds but then i was like "wait, i'm watching usagi drop, they don't pull that shit here :D"
Aug 18, 2011 11:25 PM
Aug 2011
7 weeks and that ending theme is still stuck in my head
Aug 18, 2011 11:41 PM

Jul 2011
Was looking forward to some more Rin cuteness but this episode turned out to be more about the grown-ups. Still, it's a welcome change from all the silly animes to finally be able to watch something genuinely 'seinen'.

Daikichi made me laugh a lot this episode. UD has quite a good balance between healthy moe, comedy and slice-of-life.
Aug 19, 2011 1:37 AM
Nov 2010
Well, after this episode, I like Rin, Reina and Kouki quite some more than before I've watched it...:)
I agree that Kouki is pretty similar to Daikichi...
Aug 19, 2011 2:11 AM

Apr 2011
Nice episode. I lol'd at this part:
"Daikichi, did you get married?!"
"Of course not! She's my cousin!"
And then Kouki's response to that.

I guess even though it's legal, Daikichi thinks the idea is weird. Though, they seem pretty close - as Cirris said, it's almost like Haruko is a second sister to Daikichi.

Also lol at the supermarket scene. Daikichi definitely has some feelings for Kouki's mom...even if he doesn't realise it.

But...only 4 more episodes to go. I think this is definitely one of my favourites from this season.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Aug 19, 2011 3:53 AM

Jun 2008
nznznz said:

Yeah in this episode i couldn't help but get slightly annoyed by all the conservatism everywhere. Daikichi really is in a molt too.
Aug 19, 2011 4:35 AM

Aug 2011
I think that Dai will have a girlfriend (Haruko) soon :D
Aug 19, 2011 5:01 AM
Feb 2011
Aeterna said:
godspeedspike said:

The Japanese aren't really known to be very touchy-feely.
Just as an example, I've hugged my Japanese grandfather maybe once or twice in my memory and they were the most awkward hugs I've ever had in my life. It's almost as if he doesn't know how to hug. Most of them time, we settle with patting each other's backs or shake hands. Yes, I shake my grandfather's hand, but for him it seems to be the most comfortable way of greeting people.
I said that (half-)jokingly, but I did feel a bit disappointed when he faced the other way without even trying to comfort her. I had expected him to at least say something. But yeah, it's as you say, hugging someone isn't part of their culture.
Aug 19, 2011 5:05 AM
Dec 2007
Monad said:
nznznz said:

Yeah in this episode i couldn't help but get slightly annoyed by all the conservatism everywhere. Daikichi really is in a molt too.
Well, you really can't blame him, he's actually not that keen on the guy either but this is Japan after all. Also, look at it this way, Haruko is nothing but a housewife with a little kid at this point. What will she do if she divorces? Leech off Daikichi while she gets herself back into the working force (taking who knows how long)? It leaves a bitter after taste but sometimes sacrifices are made to ensure the well being of our loved ones (in this case when Haruko returns she merely does so to protect her daughter's well-being). It's the clash of reality versus the ideal.

Aug 19, 2011 5:21 AM

Dec 2010
Aeterna said:
nznznz said:

It's just a polite thing, as in you're concerned that you've (by your relatives' extension) caused trouble for someone else. Technically, Haruko and Reina did disrupt Daikichi's life without even asking, even if he didn't mind, so apologizing to him is acknowledging that fact. At least, that's how I'm interpreting it :3

If the kid would've been the one that ran away alone, then yes, but it was the wife. She's an adult person and her husband is not some guardian that needs to excuse her and in this case she's also family. The one he needs to apologize to would've been his wife, for prioritizing everything else above her. I expected at least a hug, but again it's probably normal for Japanese.

At the end everything seems to be just like before and she only went back after realizing she can't stand on her own because she lived to long as a housewife with her husband taking take of the rest. Kinda sad ending if you ask me. She basically gives herself up to make everyone else happy.
nznzAug 19, 2011 5:24 AM
Aug 19, 2011 5:32 AM

Dec 2010
I liked how Rin was drinking juice when talking to Reina about Daikichi and Haruko's differing outlooks on marriage. With different subtitles and a cup of coffee, they could've been talking about politics and the like. :P
Aug 19, 2011 6:27 AM

Sep 2009
Very nice episode yet again. The husband should have apologized to his wife too, in my opinion, or at least that'd confirm to me that things in their household would be calm after this. That'd be less realistic, I suppose, but darn it, I want happy endings.
Aug 19, 2011 7:49 AM

Dec 2008
nznznz said:
Aeterna said:
nznznz said:

If the kid would've been the one that ran away alone, then yes, but it was the wife. She's an adult person and her husband is not some guardian that needs to excuse her and in this case she's also family. The one he needs to apologize to would've been his wife, for prioritizing everything else above her. I expected at least a hug, but again it's probably normal for Japanese.

At the end everything seems to be just like before and she only went back after realizing she can't stand on her own because she lived to long as a housewife with her husband taking take of the rest. Kinda sad ending if you ask me. She basically gives herself up to make everyone else happy.

Well, it is a bit cold of him, I won't deny that. Even Haruko pointed out, he could have helped them with their bags or walked them to the car. But perhaps he saved his apologies for her for a more private time, where they can discuss what happened. I mean, if I were the husband, I wouldn't want to talk about it on the doorstep of a relative-in-law I barely knew.

But as for the apologizing for his wife, think of it like this: "There are some problems going on in our family right now, so I'm sorry we dragged you (Daikichi) into it."
Aug 19, 2011 7:58 AM
Jun 2008
I don't felt like marrying after watching this episode ...
Aug 19, 2011 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
Aeterna said:
But as for the apologizing for his wife, think of it like this: "There are some problems going on in our family right now, so I'm sorry we dragged you (Daikichi) into it."

Well, but that's not what he said. :)
Aug 19, 2011 10:07 AM

Aug 2010
I find Reina a little less annoying now.
Aug 19, 2011 10:11 AM

Jun 2011
I felt like this episode was a tad bit uneventful but I still found myself enjoying it, none the less!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Aug 4, 2011

208 by MR-GRAYv2 »»
Jun 7, 7:04 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

41 by Phantomnocomics »»
May 12, 1:31 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.