Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2008 2:00 AM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LOL at the 7 minute explanation on how torches work. Of course the stupid fag boy cant comprehend such simple things as messing with peoples existence = bad end. "It's so cruel! boo hoo!" Fkn deal with it fag boy.

MELON PAN! :) i love melon pan

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Oct 3, 2008 11:39 PM

May 2008
hey now, come on... i dont think the story would be the same if he just blew if off, not to mention it wouldnt be realistic AT ALL if he didnt care that they didnt exist...
Nov 5, 2008 6:49 PM

Nov 2008
Seriously dont be so harsh e.e.. If you cant like one of the main characters then whats the fun?.. liking this anime anyway .-.

Nov 28, 2008 2:50 AM

Jan 2008
Learned more about torches. XD

Too bad about the girl who vanished.
Jan 9, 2009 10:43 PM

Jun 2008
This is the most thoroughly disturbing anime I think I've ever seen, and I've seen Neon Genesis, School Days, Akira...this just takes the torch.

I'm sorry, that was a terrible joke, but you know what I mean.
Mar 20, 2009 3:10 AM

Oct 2008
I don't mind seting up series since the whole idea of torches/demon things is what will be expanded on during the next 20 odd episodes. I think the characters are ok as well, shana is really shallow and yuji seems like a 11 year old in a 14 year olds body but meh.

Good beginning to this series, did feel sorry for the girl who vanished.
Apr 8, 2009 11:19 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome!!!opening theme song, i'm always repeat 5 time before proceed the story. XD
May 29, 2009 4:38 PM

Dec 2008
i feel sad that it disappeared.

I wonder whats the deal with shana's medallion.
Aug 13, 2009 10:44 AM

Aug 2008
Realistic emotions, Shana has probably seen her fair share of torches burning out and that's why she is so jaded.

I like where this is heading. Just that the bad guy plays with dolls is a little disturbing..
Aug 21, 2009 5:31 PM

Jan 2009
Pretty scary, how people's existence's just disappear out of nowhere. Makes me wonder what happens to somebody when they do disappear like that.
Sep 6, 2009 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting concept is also quite disturbing. So people forget that the torches ever existed? That's way freaky!

Nov 1, 2009 1:22 AM

May 2008
Nooooooooooooooooooo, this show already has me bawwwwwww'ing.;_;

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 7, 2010 6:49 PM

Nov 2009
Made me think, maybe some people once existed in my life that now, never existed in the first place. Cant say its wrong since i can't prove that they never existed if their existance was taken away :P interesting episode, does that mean the main character's gonna die eventually? O_o probably not since hes a "mistes" or whatever
Jan 9, 2010 9:03 PM
Nov 2008
RDX said:
Made me think, maybe some people once existed in my life that now, never existed in the first place. Cant say its wrong since i can't prove that they never existed if their existance was taken away :P interesting episode, does that mean the main character's gonna die eventually? O_o probably not since hes a "mistes" or whatever

Yeah the concept is good and makes you wander about stuff. Too bad the show itself is BAD:s I expected a lot more from an 8+ ranked show... oh well.
Feb 11, 2010 5:48 PM

Feb 2010
Seriously? Are you retarded?
No one would learn all that information and just shrug it off, of course he's disturbed. The emotions are realistic, I think it's safe to say anyone would freak out in that situation.
The show seems great so far. I can't wait to see the rest.
For now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Feb 12, 2010 4:18 AM
Nov 2008
AthenianMango said:
Seriously? Are you retarded?
No one would learn all that information and just shrug it off, of course he's disturbed. The emotions are realistic, I think it's safe to say anyone would freak out in that situation.
The show seems great so far. I can't wait to see the rest.

If you were writing that in response to my post, no I'm not retarded I just have a different opinion. While I agree this one started out really well, it just fell short pretty fast in the upcoming episodes. The fact that he 'died' quickly becomes meaningless, as you will notice and the other aspects of the anime (animation, arc stories, side characters, romance, fights, etc etc) just didn't cut it for me.
Mar 12, 2010 6:01 PM

Mar 2010
Torches lol
Jun 24, 2010 6:37 PM

May 2010
shana's attitude is a bit annoying at times but she looks cute when she eats melon bread and love when she says "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"
Sep 23, 2010 1:14 AM

Aug 2010
Hirai reminds me alot of Fuko from Clannad being forgotten then eventually disappearing. Dammit but whenever i think of Clannad I get emotional T.T
Oct 2, 2010 1:27 PM

Feb 2010
0.o hmm ep1 wasn't that interesting but I cant stop watching cause Shana is so cute :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2010 8:47 AM

May 2009
Much better episode. The first one was so meh. I think they could have combined the two and kept it real tight. Would have made a tremendous opening for the show. I'm pretty sure many people dropped this after the first episode. I know almost did. But whatever. It picked up nicely in this one.
Oct 14, 2010 3:21 PM

Aug 2010
It must be quite a shock to find out that someday you will disappear and nobody will even know that you ever existed. Yet Shana deals with it like it was a daily routine...

Oh dear, no normal person would speak so freely and almost carelessly about total annihilation and eat melon bread at the same time. That's what I like in her.
SedinusOct 19, 2010 3:18 PM

Oct 18, 2010 6:47 PM

Sep 2008
Somehow... I naïvely thought that Yuuji would be able to save Hirai. ): And whuh? I guess I can sort of see why some people are disliking Yuuji... but... his concern and sympathy are what make him interesting (aside from him being some sort of special Torch - the reason that Shana's watching over him for the moment) and, I'd think, a good main character. Besides, he and Shana balance each other out. XD

This episode was good for all the info and for the Hirai-drama~ And, of course, for Shana actually getting a name... I like this so far so yeah, I'll keep watching~ :)
Mar 11, 2011 10:30 AM

Dec 2010
I don't know why, but I had a bit of tears in my eyes because of Hirai. Disappearing like that is just sad.

Shana is your typical tsundere, which I like..but for some reason I'm not getting a happy vibe about this yet.

Mar 18, 2011 7:54 AM
Jul 2010
Well, I wasn't expecting Hirai to disappear so quickly. Anyway, I still didn't understand what's so special about Sakai. I mean, he's a Mistes, which means that he has Hougu inside him. But I have no idea what that means! (Even though I forced myself to memorize all those strange names xD)

Anyway, the premise is indeed interesting so I'll just keep watching and find out. I totally love the OP as well.
Apr 17, 2011 1:44 PM

Apr 2011
I'm actually getting really into this anime and only two episodes in.. with that said I thought it was a bit sad at the end. ;[
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2011 11:06 PM

Jul 2010
wow the concept is kind of fucked up and in a way scary. It definitely makes you think about things. Really sad that the girl disappeared just like that.
Aug 7, 2011 11:06 PM

Jul 2009
So all I got from this episode was: "You are a torch" and "urusai urusai urusai"
Aug 28, 2011 9:01 PM
Apr 2011
Interesting impressions so far. I'm a bit annoyed with the male lead thus far, but looking at this realistically, I'm used to abnormal male leads. This male lead is, by far, the most normal one I've seen thus far. So obviously, he would be ignorant and not accepting of abnormal stuff like what's already going on. I assume he'll change from that, eventually.

Shana, just... tsundere. The "urusai urusai urusai!" gets even more on my nerves, but she does have to put up with explanation after explanation where he doesn't get it anyways, and is usually well collected until that, so... meh.

Whatever. I'll probably end up watching this to the end anyways.
Sep 9, 2011 6:12 PM

Aug 2011
Diddles said:
So all I got from this episode was: "You are a torch" and "urusai urusai urusai"

LOL. What's even more hilarious is the fact that you're not wrong.

Shant said:
Interesting impressions so far. I'm a bit annoyed with the male lead thus far, but looking at this realistically, I'm used to abnormal male leads. This male lead is, by far, the most normal one I've seen thus far. So obviously, he would be ignorant and not accepting of abnormal stuff like what's already going on. I assume he'll change from that, eventually.

Shana, just... tsundere. The "urusai urusai urusai!" gets even more on my nerves, but she does have to put up with explanation after explanation where he doesn't get it anyways, and is usually well collected until that, so... meh.

Whatever. I'll probably end up watching this to the end anyways.

This is basically how I felt about this episode. Although I still don't get why Shana's always telling Yuuji to shut up when he's only said one word. I'm still kinda iffy about this show; I know I'll keep watching but only because a lot of people have said it's an enjoyable ride.
Sep 9, 2011 6:35 PM
Aug 2009
ariahsI still don't get why Shana's always telling Yuuji to shut up when he's only said one word. [/quote said:

In her eyes at that time there is little point in bothering with him because he is going to disappear anyway. Its what the whole ep is about. Shana just wants to complete her mission.
Sep 12, 2011 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
I thought Hirai's last hours were handled well. She burned a little brighter when Yuuji brought her together with her crush, and just before she flickered out she went to her favourite place to watch the sunset. Very sad--and curse the monsters who did it to her!
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 26, 2011 11:19 AM

Aug 2008
It's quite philosophical. Makes you wonder at the end of your life, would you be remembered by others.. I feel sorry for Hirai.
Dec 8, 2011 6:54 PM

Mar 2011
Sad that the girl disappeared.
Mar 9, 2012 3:07 PM

Sep 2011
God I hope Yuuji is going to change from what he is now. He reminds me too much of Shirou Emiya from Fate/Stay night. He was one of the reasons I didn't like the show as much as everyone else, he was freaking annoying. I mean I get that fighting is bad and the whole torch thing seems cruel, but don't put someone like him in the role of the main character. All I care about is Shana at the moment, she is awesome. I hope Yuuji changes soon, I don't want this anime to end up like F/Sn with a score of 6.
Mar 14, 2012 6:21 AM
Mar 2012
Hmm, so all evidence that you existed disappears when your torch runs out? What happens if, say, Yuuji shoots someone and then his flame runs out? What would happen to the person whom he shot? He can't just get back up because that would be cheating death, and he can't stay dead because that would mean that people would have a lead as to knowing that Yuuji existed. CONFUSING!
"nolite facere nobis calcitrare vestrum perinaeum"
-Don't make us kick your asses.
Jun 5, 2012 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
Brain full of f*** and now kinda depressed on top of it since the girl disappeared and so will everyone else. I suppose I should have expected it considering the premise of the story is that everyone's DEAD!!!! D:

Very confusing. I'm having trouble juggling terms.
Jul 30, 2012 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
Quite a good concept - still skeptical of this show because of the stupid baby and ball of heads.

But I like Shana. Also, the ed is really good.
"We're nothing more than fools and whores with sad highs"
Nov 8, 2012 3:39 PM

May 2012
Still okay to watch...
Apr 29, 2013 4:31 PM

Feb 2009
Best way to go?

No cries, no sadness, no grief, and most of all no expensive funeral!
May 24, 2013 11:24 AM
Mar 2013
So from now Shana is Shana :D

Moment while she was eating her bread - cuteness over 9000!

The idea for the torches... It does not get to me :/ Before this show I watched Steins;Gate so i now see the paradox of spacetime ^^
I was waiting for scenes in second world, but they aren't in this episode. So sad! :(

Ahh, opening song is awesome! Don't rewind it!
Jan 17, 2014 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
I kinda feel like it's a lame way to go, all a person tries to do during his life is to do something that will keep him remembered. Kings, writers, painters, researchers... people.

Hmm and I kinda dislike Shana's way of putting things so easily but then again she must have been doing for a long time.. so everything is the same for her torches are j.. just torches.
Jan 17, 2014 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was in my opinion way better. The first episode just left me confused.

Being a torch is worse than death... They don't even leave a trace of their existence.

Shana seiyu is one of my favorite ; Kagura and Taiga :3
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 22, 2014 10:20 PM
Jan 2014
I think the way Yuuji reacts to the situation is largely realistic; however, I think the way he expects everyone around him to understand the situation is pretty inconsiderate.

EDIT: Although the series is failing to really peek my interests, I'm willing to see it develop further.
KadouzekiJan 22, 2014 10:37 PM
Jun 4, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2013
Shana. (~*^*)~
Nov 16, 2014 2:47 PM

Sep 2014
im just not feeling this show. Slow timing, and characters are to bland. hopes it get better or i drop it
Nov 17, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2014
He wanted to stay more time with her...
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Nov 17, 2014 1:02 PM

Aug 2014
He wanted to stay more time with her...
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
May 23, 2015 7:12 PM

Jan 2015
honey88foru said:
Much better episode. The first one was so meh. I think they could have combined the two and kept it real tight. Would have made a tremendous opening for the show. I'm pretty sure many people dropped this after the first episode. I know almost did. But whatever. It picked up nicely in this one.

lol who drops anime after the first episode?
Sep 24, 2015 2:33 PM

Oct 2012
Good episode, I liked how they actually showed Torch fading away rather then just told him. But it's true the scene when Hirai-san disappeared was better in the movie, had more feelz and better soundtrack.

btw - are all Kugimiya Rie's characters addicted to food? :D
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Yoshida

k4rlo - May 16

6 by ichinose06 »»
Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 5 Discussion

stephy_ccs - Jul 2, 2008

27 by Dywei »»
Jan 31, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 4 Discussion

Chilli-Kun - Mar 10, 2008

44 by Dywei »»
Jan 23, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 16 Discussion

theeggman85 - Oct 7, 2008

37 by BaronLukis »»
Oct 22, 2023 4:16 PM

Poll: » Shakugan no Shana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - May 9, 2008

58 by BaronLukis »»
Oct 20, 2023 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.