Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 23, 2008 9:51 PM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Story starts to move after the big deal a few episodes back :)

Getting pretty exciting now :) I was afraid it was gonna stay at a slow pace till the end but that doesnt seem like the case.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 22, 2008 6:34 PM

Aug 2007
I guess that explains the Chief's obsession with finding Vincent Law... Damn. That sucks that his family was killed partly because of Vincent, and that he doesn't have Pino etc.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 17, 2008 12:01 AM

Jan 2008
Good episode, I wonder what was with the beast people living in the caves.
Nov 3, 2008 10:34 AM

Oct 2008
Great episode. Looks like Pino holds a secret.
Nov 11, 2008 12:09 AM

Jan 2008
Very interesting episode. I love how some existentialism themes are mixed in the plot every now and then without it being too much.
Nov 25, 2008 10:02 AM

Jun 2008
wow who thought that the chief will do this.
Jan 7, 2009 7:18 AM

Feb 2008
Never once did i ever expect that the Chief to be the true owner of Pino..
May 28, 2009 7:44 AM

May 2008
Damn, there were subtle hints from previous episodes regarding Pino's origin but I never did realize that her "father" was Raul!

Also Kristeva seems to have no problems changing masters, she is one efficient AutoReiv though. If she were a real person she'd be great handling intelligence agencies like the CIA etc.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
May 31, 2009 5:06 PM
May 2009
wow. finally Raul turned to be a HUMAN with normal thoughts and feelings.
and now ... what's with that rocket ?
Jun 1, 2009 12:25 PM

Dec 2008
so those human looking beasts were once normal humans that got mutated due to the toxins in the cave. that's just wrong. and its a messed up world.

so pino is related to raul. and those killed at the beginning were his family.
guess thats where his hatred comes from.

the rocket looks suspicious. it might be some sort of bomb.
Jul 26, 2009 3:06 PM

Nov 2008
I think Raul did a bad thing. Oh my. The model citizen threw everything away for his emotions.

And it seems that "Proxy One" has made an appearance as well.
Jul 27, 2009 7:23 AM

May 2008
Honestly, I feel for Raul at this point in the series. I can feel that he is very frustrated by a lot of things. He cannot catch the Proxy and Vincent Law and the Collective is giving him a very difficult time.

Another thing to consider is the tragedy that befell his family, seeing it first hand was pretty much to bear.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Sep 25, 2009 5:05 AM
Jul 2009
Nayah said:

Hmm, really? Everyone is saying this, but yet, I remember seeing Pino with him in like episode 2 or something.. but maybe thats just my imagination xP
Oct 1, 2009 7:47 AM

May 2007
I recall the chief mentioning that Pin was his real early on so I thought it wasn't a big reveal. Otherwise I wonder what will happen to him now, and if that missile is heading for Mosque.
My anime list
Apr 23, 2010 4:11 PM

Mar 2010
omfg !! O__O
finally they arrived in Mosk
.... and what?
it's down >_>,

hmmm...
I'm curious about how it moves on ^.^°°
May 6, 2010 9:16 AM

Mar 2009
Nayah said:

Agree. And his family died because of Vincent. Well, that explains a lot of things.
Great episode. It made me feel sorry for the chief. When he say "Pino" in the end. It was touching, though.
May 10, 2010 1:26 PM

Jul 2009
I always thought it was supposed to be obvious Raul was Pino's master.
Aug 25, 2010 12:43 PM

Dec 2008
Oh my goddess, Raul has come undone!
Oct 2, 2010 7:04 AM
Mar 2010
It was a sort of surprise. Poor Raul he actually cared for his family and couldnt live with it. it was sad.
and that missile heading for mosk will probably leave them at a dead end.
Nov 12, 2010 5:07 AM
Jun 2008
SecretNobody said:
Nayah said:

Hmm, really? Everyone is saying this, but yet, I remember seeing Pino with him in like episode 2 or something.. but maybe thats just my imagination xP

No, I remember that too. Kristeva is so creepy - I can't believe she just switched masters.
Jan 29, 2011 8:56 PM

Dec 2010
Nayah said:

It was pretty obvious in the beginning when his baby and wife died. Since Pino was the companion type for that baby, it made sense that Pino was related to him.

This episode is pretty intense emotionally. It took a look at Raul's personal conflict as well as his ethics. He launched that rocket which is seemingly destructive, but it was out of a cause to rebuild humanity. Let's see what happens next!

Feb 6, 2011 11:41 PM

Apr 2009
kisarachan said:
SecretNobody said:
Nayah said:

No, I remember that too. Kristeva is so creepy - I can't believe she just switched masters.

They were never really seen together before but Pino was playing the piano by the window after the Vincent inspected her on episode 1 and the woman at the house was being high and mighty to Vincent about his husband being Security Bureau something, on episode 3 Raul came home to a house with the same piano by the window so I assumed they were connected from there.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 2, 2011 1:16 PM
Jul 2009
Ummm... Since the Chief remembers seeing the Game Show from episode 15. Did the show really happen? :o
Apr 7, 2011 2:46 AM

Nov 2007
Teraspes said:
Ummm... Since the Chief remembers seeing the Game Show from episode 15. Did the show really happen? :o

Yeah, that was real. The show was broadcast across Romdo. MCQ was a proxy. That whole episode was to explain the back story and history of the world. A lot of what was covered will come in handy later in the series.
Feb 24, 2012 11:59 PM

Aug 2009
Daedalus says to Raul, "It's all your fault", hitting a nerve within his psyche. Raul realizes the ugly truth. With his strong convictions, fueled by disparity of causing and witnessing the death of his own family, becomes a renegade. He then tells off the Regent and his cronies then proceeds to outsmarts the system and launches the "rapture". Playing the piano in his last moments with guns pointed at his head, rocket launches off in the distance. What a masterpiece!

Pino's "Papa" is none other than Raul Creed! What secrets does Pino hold?

Seems like that rocket is heading for Mosque.
Aug 28, 2012 4:12 PM

May 2012
Story moves farther but these episodes are getting confusing again :(
Oct 20, 2012 12:36 PM

May 2010
Now the story progression resumes.
Raul did a great set-up there. He used the revocation of authorization (which he knows Kristeva will do) to trigger the rocket launch.
Can't wait how will things turn out.
Oct 25, 2012 8:07 AM

Oct 2012
This episode was awesome..And Pino being Raul's Autoreiv..That wasn't expected
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Nov 9, 2012 6:38 AM

Aug 2012
It make sense
Dec 16, 2012 9:08 AM

Dec 2012
I might have missed it, but now it's clear why Chief took this kind of actions. I remember when he stood in the mall like a ghost and the reason was ... enough.

Is this rocket pointed at Mosque ? Probably ...
Feb 2, 2013 4:33 PM

Jan 2012
Very interesting episode. Especially the creatures in the caves.

Feb 24, 2013 11:27 AM
Jan 2011
toneytigre said:
Daedalus says to Raul, "It's all your fault", hitting a nerve within his psyche. Raul realizes the ugly truth. With his strong convictions, fueled by disparity of causing and witnessing the death of his own family, becomes a renegade. He then tells off the Regent and his cronies then proceeds to outsmarts the system and launches the "rapture". Playing the piano in his last moments with guns pointed at his head, rocket launches off in the distance. What a masterpiece!

your comment is appreciated

about the caves

the caves and toxins are a metaphor for Romodo. As in Raul's realization, that fellow citizens are not free, in fact the opposite - they are confined to the city and absolutely dependent on its existence, the caves too serve both as shelter and coffin for the mutated people. It signifies that humans degenerate as they take shelter and separate, and ultimately become depended on their own sanctuary. There is a lot that can be deducted from this and compared to (like human's dependance on machines (Matrix) and plenty other things), but the main idea here was to supplement Raul's story and his decision.

Just as the people in caves mutated and brought their own doom, the same thing is happening with Romodo and Raul tries to prevent his realization from happening. He shows contempt for Regent, who just tries to maintain the status quo and faces the truth, that he is but a powerless pawn whose designated duty is not to uplift the society as he was priding himself on doing this whole time, but to create false peace and maintain the constant era of stagnation, implications of which are now showcased a bit drastically with the caves.

As for the rockets, im still not cleat about his reason. What kind of message does he try to send and to whom i have no idea.
Im confused about his emotional awakening as well. Im not sure to what extent are his actions influenced by his emotions and then his ethics in contrast.
Mar 9, 2013 11:30 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
sspit said:

the caves and toxins are a metaphor for Romodo. As in Raul's realization, that fellow citizens are not free, in fact the opposite - they are confined to the city and absolutely dependent on its existence, the caves too serve both as shelter and coffin for the mutated people. It signifies that humans degenerate as they take shelter and separate, and ultimately become depended on their own sanctuary. There is a lot that can be deducted from this and compared to (like human's dependance on machines (Matrix) and plenty other things), but the main idea here was to supplement Raul's story and his decision.

Just as the people in caves mutated and brought their own doom, the same thing is happening with Romodo and Raul tries to prevent his realization from happening. He shows contempt for Regent, who just tries to maintain the status quo and faces the truth, that he is but a powerless pawn whose designated duty is not to uplift the society as he was priding himself on doing this whole time, but to create false peace and maintain the constant era of stagnation, implications of which are now showcased a bit drastically with the caves.

That's what I got out of this episode too regarding the caves :) but you wrote it out nicely. Also, the citizens cannot live outside of Romdo because they will get sick and die, a lot like how the mutated people in the caves cannot live outside of their cave.

Although I never liked Raul much anyways, it is a little sad that his end had been inevitable since he took of the position. No matter who is in that position, they will all learn too much and then begin to see the ugliness of Romdo. They should really just let Kriestva to do the job...since she doesn't even care for her master anyways. Also, I didn't realize that Raul actually cared for Pino...I guess that's sad too. But seriously, he can't blame everything on Vincent. Vincent has honestly done nothing wrong. I know that Raul doesn't know that, but Pino would've been disposed of anyways because she had been infected with the cogito virus. Vincent didn't steal her away from Raul. Pino wanted to go with Vincent.
Mar 15, 2013 5:09 AM

Mar 2013
It seems strange in this episode how Raul seems to be grieving the loss of Pino, the companion autoreiv who was his fill in daughter, and not his actual child and wife?

Nicely explained sspit, I didn't notice the correlation but now that you mention it, it fits.
May 23, 2013 4:49 PM

Jan 2013
Loving the setting and atmosphere.
The information reveals are always fascinating.
5/5
Jun 10, 2013 1:13 PM

Dec 2008
Why does Raul Creed care about Pino now?

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 5, 2013 1:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This was another great episode. The mutated people in the caves are in a way a mirror image of what's happening in Romdo, were people are afflicted by their own poisonous atmosphere (of apathy and lack of emotion) and cannot come out, and those that do, die trying.

Raul finally reacted emotionally to the death of his wife/new child and of the loss of Pino. Pino was quite clearly shown in the early chapters with the wife so it was obvious that Raul was her 'father'. No wonder he hates Vincent.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 13, 2013 5:21 PM
Jan 2011
tingy said:

That's what I got out of this episode too regarding the caves :) but you wrote it out nicely. Also, the citizens cannot live outside of Romdo because they will get sick and die, a lot like how the mutated people in the caves cannot live outside of their cave.

I just love the metaphor that Romdo is creating its own toxic air people cant live without.

Except that Re-L is a living proof that living outside is possible. It appears to be another cleverly constructed misinformation for keeping fellow citizens in check. It is also half true. Not only do the outside conditions appear quite harsh and unwelcoming, the whole phrase appears to be a metaphor for the Romdo society that grew dependent on the dome's protection and its way of life. This is clearly being presented to us by the ever present sterile enviroment. In Ergo Proxy, sterile definitely means susceptible. The utopian perfectionism brought about by scientific advancements of Romdo's society is both the cure and the disease.
I dont think this anime ever focuses on this idea directly, but i feel like it is omnipresent. The Romdo's life is tiny and fragile. Yet the true life that you can see in the outside world is strong and resilient, even if almost non existent. Consider the mutated creatures in this episode. They are barely living, but normal citizen wouldnt survive more than few weeks.

The barrier limiting the people of Romdo to live in an outside world is not physical, but psychological, as they can not get free of their dependency. The presence of autoreivs is a solid proof that the technology continuously eats away from what makes them themselves. It takes away from their life force as they continue to adopt more extreme scientific solutions as a patches for symptoms caused by underlying problem that is now far from visible. In other words, by focusing only on an immediate problem, they gave rise to almost perfect but clearly fragile system they are utterly dependent on, and now it finally shows irreparable damage to its foundations.

tingy said:

Although I never liked Raul much anyways, it is a little sad that his end had been inevitable since he took of the position. No matter who is in that position, they will all learn too much and then begin to see the ugliness of Romdo.

Good point.
It is an endless cycle. Much like the One's in Matrix, who are the manifestations of an anomaly of a system, that inevitably emerges at some point, the role of head of security is also just a role that has a predestined path leading to the self-destruction of the one playing it. It doesnt matter who plays it. Its an unthankful, but an important role the system needs to maintain itself. It is another part of the system to maintain its stagnation and pointless and countless repetitions. Its all summarized by the motto for fellow citizens - "live, and make waste" (or something like that). It directly hints, that there is no purpose behind the whole Romdo at all, none except for strong will for self-preservation.

tingy said:

They should really just let Kriestva to do the job...since she doesn't even care for her master anyways.

Yes. That would make sense.
But this just couldnt happen. With someone like Kristeva as a head of security, the role would lose its intriguing nature. There would be no cycle, only constant stagnation and it wouldnt be so interesting.
Jul 14, 2013 3:32 PM
Sep 2012
i get it now. thats why when the proxy was chasing vincent and the woman and the baby was killed, he froze.
Jul 29, 2013 1:57 AM

Jun 2012
Theacurator said:
It seems strange in this episode how Raul seems to be grieving the loss of Pino, the companion autoreiv who was his fill in daughter, and not his actual child and wife?

Because his wife and child are dead, but Pino isn't. Why would he be mourning for Pino if Pino is still alive and well? Pino is the last remaining piece of his family, and Vincent took her. Everything makes sense when you add it all up.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jul 31, 2013 7:29 AM

Jun 2011
I thought he was just another arrogant bastard but this episode changed my mind. I feel kind of sorry for him now. Even though Vincent didn't mean to, he was the reason Raul lost his family, so it was inevitable that he would crack under all that mental anguish.

And finally they picked up the pace.
Sep 22, 2013 2:27 PM

Jun 2012
I was tired so i didn't get it at first, but now i do and it is rather good. Poor Raul, i love the characters they are so good.

I like how they say he is developing emotions he shouldn't have, it's like the humans are born to just be robots in a sense.

I love the ominous feel to pino playing that whatever instrument it is :P
jimbob1141Sep 22, 2013 2:37 PM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 2, 2013 5:26 AM

Feb 2013
So not only did Rhaul go kinda nuts this ep seeing Vincent everywhere but it seems Daedalus is also starting to go a bit crazy, talking to a picture of Re-L as if its really her @_@.

But yeah great ep, felt bad for Rhaul in the end, although I thought it was pretty obvious that was his wife and child who got killed in episode 2 or 3 and that Pino was originally his autoreiv, so not a huge revelation for me. Curious whats gonna happen next now that Rhaul has just launched a nuke right where Vincent and Re-L are headed.
Oct 22, 2013 5:45 AM

Mar 2013
Wp Raul, wp.
Nov 5, 2013 5:36 AM

Nov 2009
Wait, how is the Chief being the owner of Pino a surprise . . . It was his wife and baby that were killed by the Proxy . . . It is the sole reason why he hates Vincent. How did any of this make sense if you forgot that part? . . .
Dec 22, 2013 12:01 PM

Aug 2013
Wow i did not see that coming. I thought that the wife and kid would play some part in the story, but i guess i never thought they were Raul's wife and child.

Does he miss Pino? Or hate her?
My Candies:
Jan 2, 2014 3:34 AM

Dec 2012
OWell said:
Nayah said:

Same here.
Mar 11, 2014 9:55 PM

Jan 2013
Raul :(
You will always be a citizen..
Finally, the plot kicks in.
This is going to be one epic final few episodes
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 13, 2014 9:11 PM
Jul 2012
Good episode.

Now I get why he long black hair dude hates Vincent so much.

Does anyone knows what does the board said when the robots was driving to find Raul? I noticed something, but can't fully see what it means.

Bunch of Iggiy clone robots in this episode. O:

4/5
Apr 26, 2014 1:16 AM

Aug 2013
Episode 1 when Vincent was examining Pino for the virus infection, the woman wanted him to take Pino with him because her family's going to have a real child. When Vincent refused, she was like "you're saying no even though you're just an immigrant. Don't you know I'm the Security Bureau..." I thought that was pretty clear indication she's Raul's wife.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

94 by RGreatDanton »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - May 29, 2008

105 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xel - May 28, 2008

152 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.