Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2011 5:03 PM

Sep 2007
Ok, so I want more!!

Jul 8, 2011 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
Wow......that was.....totally unexpected. My summer has just gotten much better....

I wonder what the price will be? It looks like the brothers are going to have to pay it.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 8, 2011 6:09 PM

Aug 2009
llamaben said:
Pretty good so far. The only downside was yet another terrible song by Yakushimaru Etsuko (thankfully not as bad as her others, though).
All Japanese singers are as bad as she is, anyway.
Jul 8, 2011 6:14 PM

Jun 2010
O_O

5/5 awesome first episode, and suddenly my favorite show this season easily (By first episode standards, and usually I can't stand incest, but I'm willing to put up with it because the episode was just awesome, but damn that was creepy...).
artist-retiredJul 9, 2011 1:14 AM
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Jul 8, 2011 6:58 PM

Sep 2007
after watching this I AM SO CONFUSED
Jul 8, 2011 7:46 PM

Jul 2010
haha I liked it. Coulda gona better but it was interesting. xD Penguin as a theme hmmm. When she was explaining the whole thing i was laughing cause she was moving all wierd like. This was one of the interesting anime and i plan to follow it

(but i still don't get what the lil guys were suppose to do? The blue penguin were cute and all but why r they there? D:)

anyways 4/5
Jul 8, 2011 8:10 PM

Sep 2009
Interesting, but weird. I need to see more to find out what's going on.

I didn't like the kiss...it actually made me angry for some reason. Maybe it just happened too fast.
Jul 8, 2011 8:12 PM

Feb 2008
i dont really like the philosophical assertions this anime tries to make. "fate" is merely the last refuge for those who are unwilling to adjust or take "paths" that are least obvious or otherwise more difficult and arbitrary. even if you were to assume that god exists; pain and suffering that people endure is not evidence of god's cruelty or unfairness. of course it is all a matter of belief and perspective which is why i do not like the monologue in this anime. Especially since one person's pain could be another's pleasure, but that too is an entirely different matter.

that was a bit more serious than i really needed to be but what interests me about this show is the condition for her revival, not their existential dilema.

all in all, all his ramblings about how unfair life could be sounded like a whinny little kid who blames the rich for being so lucky to have been born that way...the worst kind of whining.
Jul 8, 2011 8:21 PM
May 2010
I'm not sure what to think about this yet. But I love it so far

EDIT:: I thought there might be incest from the beginning, I just didn't think it would happen(?) in the first episode
unkindnessJul 8, 2011 10:59 PM
Jul 8, 2011 8:28 PM

Nov 2010
This might be worth the all the hype, it should be a fun ride, and I am glad we're getting a full season.(Perhaps two cour is more appropriate, not sure).
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Jul 8, 2011 8:44 PM
Jul 2011
I love me some clean lines and colorful art, but IMO a lot of it was all bells and whistles. I concur with another poster, I don't really feel any attachment to the characters.

Sad basis, TRAGEDY STRIKES, penguins :3, COLORS, incest... ?

The idea of incest bothers me, primarily because I myself actually HAVE siblings, and the thought sickens me. I'm practical, and if a good reason for possible incest is explained- i'll continue watching the series; but if it seems to be nothing more than fetishistic gratification, i'll probably be dropping it.
Jul 8, 2011 9:06 PM

Jul 2010
That kiss/incest thing has something to do with that "Survival Strategy" / the "thing" that was got from Kan's chest
Jul 8, 2011 10:00 PM

Dec 2010
THANK YOU, IKUHARA-SAMA.

I can't tell you how hard I fangirl'd at the visual direction.
Every little thing, "Oh, Ikuhara~ This is so like you~~ Baha~"
I'm actually a little embarrassed. Hmhm.

This is undeniably going to be super awesome.
Jul 8, 2011 10:21 PM

Nov 2008
Old enough to realize now that this kind of shit is terrible. This opening episode is a blight on the face of anime, it would have been barely passable had it not been for the ending. If you truly enjoy that you need to re-evaluate your psychological well-being. Usagi Drop and Uta No Prince Sama etc are much better this season.
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Jul 8, 2011 10:30 PM

Nov 2007
Really digging this show. The backgrounds, especially the house, were stunning and the soundtrack was very good. I liked the opening song and the ending animation. Also, i really enjoyed how the transformation sequence was reversed instead of going from being naked to fully dressed she went from dressed to being naked.

ringoo4 said:
llamaben said:
Pretty good so far. The only downside was yet another terrible song by Yakushimaru Etsuko (thankfully not as bad as her others, though).
All Japanese singers are as bad as she is, anyway.

lol.... search youtube for Kamisama No Iutoori
Jul 8, 2011 10:34 PM

Sep 2007
I... what... huh... what... whhaaatttt?
Jul 8, 2011 10:44 PM

Dec 2009
Well.................huh. That freaking made me go for a loop. Honestly, for the first time EVER in any Anime - I don't know what to say.

But, ugh, incest - really? I do not know the director's work, seeing as some people do, but I have siblings myself and it just kind of makes me want to put this down and choose another Anime. But, at the same time, I want to know more and see what this Anime takes us to.

So, all in all, good episode in general. But - I still have NO CLUE on what to comment about. So, we'll see what happens in the future, neh?
Jul 8, 2011 10:58 PM

Dec 2008
i haven't been mind f***ked like this in a while and its so fun and exhilarating
Jul 8, 2011 11:01 PM

Nov 2010
Haters gonna hate, and those who do so drop this on the first episode have to get their screws checked over. THIS IS IKUHARA, this show blessed by the soul of Kawakami!

This going to be one of the shows of the year, I swear.
I play, the haters lose.
Jul 8, 2011 11:53 PM

Nov 2008
lol after she said "Survival Strategy" I thought it was the ED song because music popped in xDD

a lot of stuffs seems ridiculous to me... like sudden death drama scene, coming back to life with another person controlling, penguins and incest twist at the end... I wonder what kind of story are they portraying. I'll keep in touch with this show.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jul 9, 2011 1:21 AM

Nov 2007
uh... wtf did I just watch?

oh hey she died already..... sad .... oh wait she's back already. oh hey magical penguins cool. wait... magical penguins? wtf? oh hey.... wincest?!

pretty weird... a little boring. 3 episode test I guess?
Jul 9, 2011 1:48 AM
Dec 2009
hmmm.. i like it, i like this anime, but somewhat confused. i'm more curious in the conditions of what's keeping her alive. definitely a must watch for me :).
tag©.androgynous
Jul 9, 2011 2:04 AM

Jun 2009
5/5, great first episode. Loving the art direction, music, and of course the penguins. Great blend of emotions. Went from heartwarming, to sad, to funny, to wtf without ever feeling too jarring.
Jul 9, 2011 2:22 AM

Jul 2008
O_o

o_O

O_O

LOL

Yeah, and I actually like penguins. LOL
Jul 9, 2011 4:55 AM

Jan 2010
Interesting ... =D ...

when i saw the scene where Sho being followed by the penguin .. i laughed
Jul 9, 2011 5:03 AM

Jan 2010
Exactly what i expected.
hate capital letters.
deal with it.
Jul 9, 2011 5:49 AM

Mar 2008
OH my god! OH MYYYYYYYYYY GOD!
What is this i just seen?RIRIRIAIRIARI DORGAS!

Shaft? Who?
Jul 9, 2011 7:18 AM

Aug 2009
poldomancer said:
That kiss/incest thing has something to do with that "Survival Strategy" / the "thing" that was got from Kan's chest

yeppp....i think she took Kanba's heart,...and now he's in love with his own sister :)

messed up, ne?

LUUUV it :)

3-sided incest romance- siblings triangle, by the looks of it :)
Jul 9, 2011 9:23 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I don't know if I can understand this show, but I'll keep watching this.
the art style of this show was just awesome.
Jul 9, 2011 9:40 AM
Apr 2010
Director from Star Driver and Utena, Must Watch though. Incest twist gives a good vibe. i guess.
Jul 9, 2011 10:37 AM

Feb 2010
Yeshh; I want to have a penguin in the house, too. Looking forward for the next episode.
Jul 9, 2011 12:43 PM

Jan 2008
I loved this episode! The op is so awesome and the whole show has so much style! Despite the sad first half, the second half was pretty funny. I also really like the school uniform designs. My favourite first episode of the season so far!
Jul 9, 2011 12:47 PM
Nov 2007
XeoN1221 said:
Director from Star Driver and Utena, Must Watch though. Incest twist gives a good vibe. i guess.

Ikuhara did not direct Star Driver.
Jul 9, 2011 12:52 PM
Jul 2011
diadora said:
poldomancer said:

yeppp....i think she took Kanba's heart,...and now he's in love with his own sister :)

messed up, ne?

LUUUV it :)

3-sided incest romance- siblings triangle, by the looks of it :)

Yeah, I knew she had somehow altered his "fate" but I had no idea which twin got chest-olested.
Jul 9, 2011 1:50 PM

Jun 2009
That was an interesting start, if nothing else. I'm not really looking forward to the other 23 episodes if this is all there is, but I heard that this first episode was supposed to be a bit of a troll.

Of course, I'm not entirely sure that's true as I also heard that the penguindrum is a
Jul 9, 2011 3:24 PM
Oct 2009

Never doubt in Ikuhara. :P

XeoN1221 said:

Star Driver was directed by someone else. If it was done by Ikuhara it wouldn't have been a disappointment.

Swiftstylez said:
Old enough to realize now that this kind of shit is terrible. This opening episode is a blight on the face of anime, it would have been barely passable had it not been for the ending. If you truly enjoy that you need to re-evaluate your psychological well-being. Usagi Drop and Uta No Prince Sama etc are much better this season.

This coming from a guy who has a Naruto sig and said that Uta no Prince Sama is one of the best shows this season. LOL Oh the irony. Wait a second, your post was meant to be taken as sarcasm, my bad. :P
ZoddgutsJul 9, 2011 3:38 PM
Jul 9, 2011 3:33 PM

Dec 2010
i was happy then sad then.... HUH???!! then wait what.... then sealed with a kiss and my jaw dropped and said i knewwwwwwwwwwwww it! someone had to be in love with someone no i cant wait for ep 2 lol
- Marissa Chan!
Jul 9, 2011 3:45 PM
Jan 2011
RyuKirin said:
zimno said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

gooooood!!!!!!!!!
5/5 9/10

Ohhhhhh~ that's sexy *-* Can't wait to get the subbed release.

I wonder if some fan service would be included on later episodes?
Jul 9, 2011 3:46 PM
Jul 2011
I shall name this Troll Anime.
Jul 9, 2011 4:02 PM

Oct 2008
I quite enjoyed that, wasn't sure what it would be like but I think I'm going to enjoy it.
Loved the Penguin's appearance scene, almost wet myself when it was chasing after "Blue Haired Bro" :P
Jul 9, 2011 4:33 PM
Nov 2008
Since I just recently re-marathoned Utena it made me easier to process this episode. We already know there is an overarching tragedy with the fact the sister's life hangs in the balance depending on how this whole "Penguin Drum" scenario plays out.

For those of you who have not seen Utena here's a few pointers for watching this show:

1. Pay attention to EVERYTHING, Ikuhara is known for hinting, foreshadowing, and making allegories to later plot points especially in the OP & EDs.

2. Get used to repetition. That crazy Survival Strategy sequence is probably going to pop up often, and don't be surprised if you see variations of it in later episodes.

3. Very high chance of darker and more disturbing elements coming more to the forefront as the series comes to a close. So for those of you disturbed by the hint of incest at the end of this episode...yeeeaaah...if Utena's any indicator we'll probably have a lot of interesting allusions later on (hint: this is not the first time Ikuhara has went "there" and gone much, much deeper).

So I look forward to how this series develops.
Jul 9, 2011 6:18 PM

May 2009
...I have absolutely no idea what I just watched but I liked it

This. This will be my favorite this season I think.
I've got this burnin' like my veins are filled with nothin' but gasoline.
Jul 9, 2011 6:22 PM
Jun 2008
I am personally bothered by the posibility of insest in the Anime. However, I find myself more bothered by the few people posting in this thread who are basically bashing the people who are a little upset at the surprise, whether they intended it or not. Did they even think about what they were posting before they posted it?

I am bothered by the comments that said it should have been obvious that there would be insest or homosexuality in the Anime because this was done by Ikuhara. However, isn't it a bit of an assumption to make that everyone going into this Anime is going to be familiar with his work? I personally am not, and I wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of the other people who picked this up are.

I am also bothered by the comments bashing people for dropping this in the first episode. I get the fact that there are times that you can't judge an Anime by the first episode, however there are people uncomfortable with subjects like insest and such. I personally only watch if I think the subject is handled well, like with Yume Tsukai. Which is why I am going to stick around for a few more episodes. Other people can't stomach this.

I am also bothered by the comments that say that insest isn't a big deal. I liked Yume Tsukai because it treated insest as the big deal it is and it was part of the subject matter and was handled well. I think some people though, need to remember that the subject of insest may hit uncomfortably close to home for some people.

The other thing I am bothered with, is the fact that people say, this is done by a certain person, so people shouldn't complain. It kind of relates to my first point, that not everyone is going to be familiar with his work.

My main point is, try to be a little more respectful with the comments. Insest is a sensitive issue.

Zarmyn said:
Since I just recently re-marathoned Utena it made me easier to process this episode. We already know there is an overarching tragedy with the fact the sister's life hangs in the balance depending on how this whole "Penguin Drum" scenario plays out.

For those of you who have not seen Utena here's a few pointers for watching this show:

1. Pay attention to EVERYTHING, Ikuhara is known for hinting, foreshadowing, and making allegories to later plot points especially in the OP & EDs.

2. Get used to repetition. That crazy Survival Strategy sequence is probably going to pop up often, and don't be surprised if you see variations of it in later episodes.

3. Very high chance of darker and more disturbing elements coming more to the forefront as the series comes to a close. So for those of you disturbed by the hint of incest at the end of this episode...yeeeaaah...if Utena's any indicator we'll probably have a lot of interesting allusions later on (hint: this is not the first time Ikuhara has went "there" and gone much, much deeper).

So I look forward to how this series develops.

Anyways, I thank you for posting this. I am going to give this Anime a few more episodes before I personally decide to drop this. It honestly, despite being rather easy to digest until the very last part, may not be my cup of tea and I may not be able to stomach much more. It's a lot more sensitive then a LOT of the earlier comments I saw, which really bothered me.
Jul 9, 2011 10:25 PM

May 2010
When I heard incest I was hoping it was between the brothers >.>
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Jul 9, 2011 10:57 PM
Dec 2009
Very impressive episode.

I have a feeling that with the thing about the apple and showing "ALIS in Wonderland" [Yes, that is how it saw shown in the show] that th series may become an amalgamation of various fairy tales.
Jul 9, 2011 11:17 PM

Nov 2010
What's the point of seeking new horizons if we couldn't observe, if not explore, what happens if a taboo is made manifest before our eyes? More than a century ago some works of literature we considered now as classics were then controversial, even going so far as to polarize opinion of the day. Heck, The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies, highly acclaimed now, were also eyed with suspicion at the time they were newly published.

Why fear the unknown, even if you are not directly involved and thus part of the audience? We've been hungry, seeking for something unique, a diamond in the rough, the one that stands out in a sea of fail.

Finally, the hardest question: what if you and your sister were the only ones left on the face of the planet? What would you do to survive?

That is why incest, long considered a social taboo and a grave sin in some societies, has to be explored and properly understood.
I play, the haters lose.
Jul 10, 2011 12:24 AM

Dec 2009
if it ( Revolutionary Girl Utena ) Original Creator - Ikuhara Kunihiko - I'm Certainly watching it , the Op way to awesome and the first episode Gooooooood ....

5\5
Jul 10, 2011 1:26 AM

Sep 2008
Let's see. We got a winning plot, or a winning premise as the case may be. Certianly quite nice, and there's a lot of good places they could go with it. Don't know why people are finding it hard to follow.

Fantastic animation. Some mild and pleasant fanservice.

Characters feel a little bland, but it's still episode one and we were focussing pretty heavily on the plot.

All in all I gotta say I like what I see.
Jul 10, 2011 2:26 AM

Nov 2009
1st ep and incest already... That incest serves what purpose exactly? Are we gonna end up with the blue haired twin being in love with the red haired one at this rate soon?

I know 'tis just a beginning of the series, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions that fast and just drop it, but I hope we'll get a bit more of a solid story lurking behind rocky sequences and shocking revelations.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 10, 2011 2:40 AM

Nov 2010
The ED song is beautiful. Listening to the dark tone tune with ennui, I have a hunch this anime will be a post-"Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica".
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 15, 2011

168 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.