Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2011 3:25 PM

Jul 2009
Hmmm.. I don't know how I really feel. It was great for the most part, but... kinda felt like a sleeping pill too.

Anyway, only 11 episodes? That sucks. I hope they make a decent ending out of this.
Jul 8, 2011 4:50 PM

Jan 2010
Was a nice first episode, now let's see if can continue beinitg nice.
Jul 8, 2011 4:51 PM
Nov 2009
hnggggg hngggggg and moar hnggggging LOL
didn't expect that. 5/5

The scary thing about this anime was that my grandfather died last night too ;'(
I think I'm gonna love this anime....
Jul 8, 2011 5:13 PM

Jul 2009
Now that was superb
Jul 8, 2011 5:33 PM

Dec 2010
Oh hoh hoh hoh....the Grandpa was still able to get it on at such an old age.

One of the better animes of this season if I do say so myself.

I really loved how Rin got Bellflowers instead of the traditional ones. Really showed how much she loved her father.

Winding up the clock again to show that you have to move on with life? Am I Captain Obvious..?

Really liking this show so far. Love the ED song too. I just wonder if we will ever get to see Rin's mom.

Jul 8, 2011 5:33 PM

Nov 2007
Aww I really liked it. Can't wait for the rest. A little sad it's only 11 eps.
Jul 8, 2011 6:15 PM

Aug 2010
Its only the first episode and I'm already loving it, the art, the characters, the story. Opening and ending are nice too. I can already tell this is by far one of me favorite animes for this season.
And when Rin ran to Daikichi after he asked if she wanted to go home with him. HNNNNNG!
Jul 8, 2011 6:53 PM

May 2009
why the hell deed it remind me of House of five leaves???
i know i know this two shows have nothing to do with each other
well who cares both are awsome!!!!!!
Jul 8, 2011 7:31 PM

Oct 2009
firy said:
why the hell deed it remind me of House of five leaves???
The faces were similar and some of the feeling too.

Also remembered Mushishi because of the slow but pleasent pacing.
Jul 8, 2011 8:58 PM

Mar 2009
Rin was cute. D: And gahh, Reina-chan, pretty evil for a little girl...
Jul 8, 2011 9:04 PM

Feb 2008
what a crappy family,Foster care is for kids who DON'T have a home. Im glad he decided to take her in. I'll be happy if they never show them again. 5/5
Jul 8, 2011 9:19 PM

Sep 2007
Best damn first episode this season.
Jul 8, 2011 10:54 PM

Mar 2010
This is definitely gonna top the rest of the other series this season.
Rin is just so adorable and Daikichi is awesome for taking her in. :D
I would've done the same thing.
Jul 8, 2011 11:22 PM

Sep 2009
great anime
i'm really looking forward for this
Jul 9, 2011 12:04 AM

Apr 2009
Their facial expressions. :D
Jul 9, 2011 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
5/5, would that I could score it higher.

Great OP/ED, the show was emotional and heartwarming, and Rin is just too darn cute. Of the 5 I've watched this season this is the best show.

Production I.G. <3
Jul 9, 2011 3:18 AM

Sep 2010
this anime... I'm gonna love it ♥ (I already do)
It's just so cute ♥
Jul 9, 2011 4:05 AM

Jul 2008
First Impression: Honey & Clover
Jul 9, 2011 5:11 AM

Nov 2010
5 out of 5 score with 84%, thats something you dont see often ( atleast its me who didnt notice ).

I can kinda see how it will unfold but im sure it will be enjoyable nonetheless.
Jul 9, 2011 8:00 AM

Jul 2010
I absolutely adore the art style. Fantastic pilot episode as well.
Jul 9, 2011 10:06 AM

Jun 2011
Damn it, if it weren´t for the pride man have, I would´ve cried like a baby.

Nice and refreshing anime, catches on the warm and soft spots on ones heart. Definietly top anime of this season, I too hope it´s at least 13-15 episodes long.
Jul 9, 2011 11:44 AM

Jun 2009
one_eyed_dragon said:
I too hope it´s at least 13-15 episodes long.

Sadly it's only 11 episodes long. :/

So far I love everything about this anime. Rin is so adorable and so well behaved! Reina on the other hand is very annoying but I still kinda like her. xD As for Daikichi, I like him as well. Also, the art style is amazing! Reminds me of La Maison en Petits Cubes. From all new anime airing this summer, Usagi Drop is my most favorite so far. ^^
Jul 9, 2011 11:59 AM

Aug 2008
Lovely, heart-warming first episode. Loved the calm and a bit dreamlike atmosphere. I will definitely continue to watch this.
Jul 9, 2011 12:38 PM
May 2009
There was a thing that kept annoy me. And apparently, it wasn't that annoying kid. It was the contrast created between the bratty kid and the adorable, nice and oh so poor main girl.
And it kinda irritates me how Daikichi walks in a very weird way.
Anyway, props to the grandpa for making a kid at that age.
And I liked the art style on the very beggining, reminded me of Hourou Musuko.
Jul 9, 2011 12:39 PM
Apr 2010
WoofSadaharu said:
Hmmm.. I don't know how I really feel. It was great for the most part, but... kinda felt like a sleeping pill too.

Anyway, only 11 episodes? That sucks. I hope they make a decent ending out of this.

Kinda boring for the first ep, might be the same for the rest of the ep, but the theme is... SUPERB. Definitely going to stick with this anime for this season; looking forward to the next episodes.
It's very heart-warming.

Also I swear, Rin looks like the child version of Chizuru from Kimi ni Todoke.
Flipside101Jul 9, 2011 12:43 PM
Jul 9, 2011 1:15 PM
Apr 2011
Read the first volume of the manga, loved it. Decided to try this out, and so far, not disappointed. Looks like I'll be sticking with this one.

Unfortunately never finished the manga, so I'll be finishing this first, probably.
Jul 9, 2011 3:07 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. BEAUTIFUL artwork! Sound track is GREAT too.

Overall a great episode. I look forward to episode 2...
Jul 9, 2011 7:16 PM

Aug 2007
It's been said already, but the animation is truly beautiful. Really feels like watching a manga almost. The story is nice, slow, and slice of lifey. This will be a good series to relax with~
Jul 9, 2011 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Great start for this great anime.
hope it stick to the manga.
5/5
Jul 10, 2011 5:33 AM

Apr 2009
Gahh, Reina reminded me why exactly I don't like kids. But then again, Rin shows that some of them are not only bearable, but SO PRECIOUSSS. Jesus, I never use this word.
Daikichi turned out to be the most caring one in the whole family, which is weird considering he doesn't even visit his mother for New Year's :P
So far loving this, and it's only the first episode! Hope it keeps up the slow-and-yet-not-boring-at-all pace and pleasant atmosphere.
Also, loving both the OP and ED.
pilipino101 said:
I swear, Rin looks like the child version of Chizuru from Kimi ni Todoke.

THANK YOU. Kept thinking how she reminds me of someone, but had no idea of whom.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 10, 2011 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
I was surprised at the art and animation style at first but I liked it along the way. :D Funny moment before the ED of the episode. Okay let's now begin the juicier part of the slice... of life.
tofeiJul 10, 2011 8:30 AM
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 10, 2011 9:18 AM
Jul 2018
It's really cute so far. And I automatically look a liking to Rin.
Jul 10, 2011 12:16 PM

Aug 2010
first episode made me want to pick the manga :3
Jul 10, 2011 12:54 PM

Sep 2009
I'm not too much of a fan of this particular art style, but after watching the first ep, it really seems to fit well with the story.

I was definitely impressed, looking forward to the next ep. o u o

Derr, derrr, that other little girl reminded me of my equally annoying cousin. = n =
Jul 10, 2011 1:39 PM
Oct 2010
One of the best from this season.
Jul 10, 2011 1:46 PM

Apr 2010
I was about to give up on the Summer season altogether until I saw this. It's a very good episode, though not super great just yet. I'm interested in seeing where the series goes and I hope it continues this route of being....well...good.

I don't really care for the OP or the ED, though.
truthillusionJul 10, 2011 1:49 PM
Jul 10, 2011 2:56 PM

Apr 2009
At bloody last, the first good series of this season - lovely art style, gentle background music, realistic setting and characters (those spoiled brats are so annoying...). But what I would want to point out is that two main characters underwent development which some anime producers can't really achieve in 10 episodes...
5/5 for this episode.

Jul 10, 2011 4:23 PM
May 2011
That was really sweet and heartwarming. This would probably be one of my favorites of this season.
Jul 10, 2011 5:10 PM

Nov 2008
Such a refreshing change of pace.
I love everything about this one so far.
The softness of the art, the immediate bond of the main characters, and how realistic Rin's actions are drawn.

This is the first new anime in awhile that has grabbed my attention to the point that I can not wait until next weeks episode.
Jul 10, 2011 10:10 PM

Nov 2008
Smochi said:
why is everyone bitching so hard about Reina? I mean yeah she's a brat but she's just a little kid, kids are like that, most kids are pretty much bastards, but they don't mean to be. Don't any of you have younger siblings? (I have two, and a bunch of younger cousins so I'm pretty used to bratty kids, lmao.)

This.

My God, she's effing preschool age, guys. A lot of people we know, maybe even ourselves, were that prattish back then. Hearing some people not-so-subtly imply that they want her dead when she's just acting like normal kids is rather disgusting.
Jul 11, 2011 1:54 AM
Jul 2010
I absolutely loved this. I was smiling throughout most of the episode and ended up tearing up a bit.

Bakazuki said:
My God, she's effing preschool age, guys. A lot of people we know, maybe even ourselves, were that prattish back then. Hearing some people not-so-subtly imply that they want her dead when she's just acting like normal kids is rather disgusting.
Well, she reminded my why I have zero patience for kids. I could go as far as saying that I hate most kids. I may or may not have been like that (my parents always said I was a really calm kid) but even if I were, it doesn't change the fact that I can't stand annoying brats. I respect a lot (really, a LOT) the people who do, the people who like taking care of them or simply have the patience to do so. As for me, after 4 hours with my 5-year-old cousin, I'm desperate to be alone. Anyway, this is all to say that I hate Reina. Yeah, kids are like that so I obviously don't think she should die or say she's a bad character but I still hate her because, that being normal or not, she's still annoying as hell.
Jul 11, 2011 3:29 AM

Aug 2010
Ho boy, the first anime I started watching from the summer season, and I'm sure it will be my favorite. Rin is adorable, and the show overall is very heartwarming. 5/5.
Jul 11, 2011 6:23 AM

Nov 2008
Dusk252 said:
Bakazuki said:
Well, she reminded my why I have zero patience for kids. I could go as far as saying that I hate most kids. I may or may not have been like that (my parents always said I was a really calm kid) but even if I were, it doesn't change the fact that I can't stand annoying brats. I respect a lot (really, a LOT) the people who do, the people who like taking care of them or simply have the patience to do so. As for me, after 4 hours with my 5-year-old cousin, I'm desperate to be alone. Anyway, this is all to say that I hate Reina. Yeah, kids are like that so I obviously don't think she should die or say she's a bad character but I still hate her because, that being normal or not, she's still annoying as hell.

If that's the case, you weren't one of the ones I was referring to, which is a given since this seems to be your first post in this thread. I'm referring to a few of the people who already posted here.

It's one thing to be annoyed, because for this one particular event she's made to be so (even more so in the original manga, where her only problem is her volume control; all that other stuff like taking credit for the band ladder was added in for this adaptation). However, to have such vitriol for a character to the point of openly admitting of wanting her to be in the coffin with the grandfather and/or to inflict physical harm...yeah. You can argue that, yes, she's just a character, but even if that were the case, saying that out loud gives a really nasty impression.

So yes, that aside, I did really enjoy this first episode. It reminded exactly why I fell in love with this series when I first read the manga. What annoyed me, as you might have guessed, was the way they subtly manipulated our feelings toward Rin by changing and adding event's from the original narrative, just so the viewers can get a better impression of her from the get-go.

For starters, we're technically not supposed to find her cute at all until the scene with the grandfather's coffin and the bellflowers.

In the original, the narrative emphasized more on her social awkwardness than her cuteness prior to that event. Reina originally served as a comparison device for how a normal child should act, giving us a (temporary) impression that Rin's social development is stunted. They've changing it by overplaying Reina's childish traits to eleven, thus turning her into a bratty foil for Rin's calm demeanor, which was not the author's intent in the manga.

I can see why they had do it, but that is still something an adaptation shouldn't do lightly.
VanceFiniraldiJul 11, 2011 6:39 AM
Jul 11, 2011 6:36 AM
Jun 2008
The more nasty and naughty Reina become , The more cute and angelic that Rin is .
I sure like to compare stuff to see which is the best from comparing the bad one .Its my bad habit ,it makes me feel good (like saying bad rumor and stuff) and I love it =)

edit: meant to be sarcasm lol
MorningGloryJul 11, 2011 8:20 AM
Jul 11, 2011 6:41 AM

Nov 2008
MorningGlory said:
The more nasty and naughty Reina become , The more cute and angelic that Rin is.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. We really weren't supposed to make that kind of comparison.
Jul 11, 2011 6:43 AM

Mar 2010
great anime =)

cute and lovely without being cheesy =D
Jul 11, 2011 7:56 AM

Nov 2009
jpem said:
Look forward to more of this. Hope MAL is wrong with the 11 episodes thing. otherwise i'll have to pick up the manga.

Yeah. I decided i wouldn't watch any manga adaptions and just read the manga, but i figured that since it is finished before airing it will be a complete adaption. Somehow 5 a episode is too much; most only manage to get 3 in.

Loved it though, i was in a bad mood and this cheered me up despite being rather depressing at the same time.
Jul 11, 2011 8:25 AM

Nov 2010
Best first episode this season by far IMO.

I expected great things from this as it gives me similar vibes that Aishiteruze Baby gave me. This will definitely be my pick this season.
Jul 11, 2011 9:32 AM
Mar 2010
wonderful.... really, so comfortable.... so candy, so..... beautiful...

Honestly, for first minutes I was a little bit disappointed for graph and scenes, but everything is right... design too.... This anime seems very very good

next to 2nd ep
Jul 11, 2011 9:44 AM

Jan 2011
It's just as heartwarming and relaxing as the manga, so glad it's finally here!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

41 by Phantomnocomics »»
May 12, 1:31 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

395 by E-Satie »»
May 5, 7:06 AM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM

» Live Action

JSeanaY - Aug 18, 2023

14 by imjayhime »»
Aug 24, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.