Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 10, 2011 4:23 PM
Apr 2011
It funny how people say they get tired of seeing the same stuff, but when something new come they still bitch, blood-c is no exception...
Jul 10, 2011 6:17 PM
Jul 2011
Anyone know when episode 2 will come out?
Jul 10, 2011 7:02 PM

Apr 2009
Some of the reviews are being kind of harsh. Yes, it's quite a departure from the rest of the franchise, but I think the fight scenes really had the same spirit in them. And I think as the story unfolds, we'll find there's a lot more to this Saya then the klutzy ditz we saw in most of this episode.
That said, not loving the CLAMP noodle limbs. Really wish they would go back to their older style, it's more more pleasing to the eye.
Not crazy about the OP/ED songs, but they're not bad. Really liked the part in the OP where the red (dried blood?) is flaking off of Saya's body.
Jul 10, 2011 10:36 PM

Jul 2007
magelet said:
Some of the reviews are being kind of harsh. Yes, it's quite a departure from the rest of the franchise, but I think the fight scenes really had the same spirit in them.

No.

BloodC so far has a very flashy shounen-y fight scenes. Blood+ had more "calm", more "real" ones and everything character would do in them would make sense.

People have already pointed out the inconsistencies on realism in bloodc fight scenes.
Jul 11, 2011 12:16 AM
Feb 2007
Meh_93 said:
Seems too cliche and I don't like Saya being clumsy and basically having a father complex. I'll watch a few more episodes and see where I'm at before making a decision.

This.
Jul 11, 2011 1:48 PM
Apr 2010
this episode was pretty messed up, but not in a bad way ^^
Jul 11, 2011 7:24 PM

Jun 2011
Haven't watched Blood+ so my comments are not comparative.

The animation is what is expected of Clamp, so I'm not going to b**** about the beanstalk character design. The only point it did bother me is during the wide shot where Saya, Yūka and the twins are walking away from the basketball court together. The view presents their full figures side-on and the incongruently small size of the twin's heads to the rest of their body became very conspicuous.
The reason why the twin's body proportions stood out was because their heads were tilted towards the viewer, while Saya and Yūka's heads were facing forward. This is a small complaint, but I wish Clamp will either make their heads larger (i.e. taller) OR refrain from animating such unflattering shots.

As for Saya's clumsiness, it's contradictory to her athletic prowess and did not work as a way for her to be endearing. It just seemed unnecessary and a poor attempt to earn some "Brownie" points. Those moments could have been spent adding some quirky behaviour that would have had a better chance to pique interest.

And the monster design was lame: Easter Island Moai evoke much more fear in me.

Blood-C wasn't all bad though. The music at the start and the OP were decent, and the fight scene was engaging enough.

Cross fingers for substantial character development, mystery and better looking monsters in coming episodes. (+_+)

3/5
Life is a mess...yet incorruptible

Jul 12, 2011 10:33 AM

Sep 2009
Seoko said:
Anyone know when episode 2 will come out?

It doesn't seem to have aired as far as I can tell... Which is pretty odd, if the first episode came out more than a week ago.
Jul 14, 2011 9:32 AM

Oct 2008
I am actually disappointed with this episode, I heard that it was going to be AMAZING but it just didn't live up to it.

Saya is pretty thick, I really, really, really wanted to punch her when she started singing! I know, so negative am I but it just annoyed me...theres no real reason why.

The chairman looks a bit like Light Yagami which I sorta giggled at but Tokizane looks interesting! The twins are quite cute and the class "mum" seems quite a nice addition.

Ohhh...Chairman got REJECTED!!!

That fight scene wasn't very dramatic at all...kinda disappointed...maybe its just cause its the first episode?

Maybe I expected too much since it was called "Blood" and had a main character called Saya?
Jul 14, 2011 1:11 PM

May 2011
Well for a first episode it wasn't that bad......but I really didn't see the point of wasting so much time.The scene where she's walking to school singing and that painfully long staring contest between Saya and the statue at the beginning of the fight wasn't really needed.

But I loved the opening and ending and the fight scene was awesome!!!It was really cool how she slid under the statue like that in the water to avoid being attacked and in my opinion she looks better when her eyes are red!!!I'll definitely keep watching to see if it gets better.

I’m just trying to be okay. Some days it’s harder than others. I hide away the most real parts of myself from everyone else. The emotions that I try to escape from. The constant pain I feel. The nightmares that keep me awake at night.

It hurts sometimes... knowing that the world is continuing happily all around me while I continue to drown in alcohol and slowly die inside myself.

Jul 18, 2011 6:07 AM

Oct 2009
Sentress said:
Meh_93 said:
Seems too cliche and I don't like Saya being clumsy and basically having a father complex. I'll watch a few more episodes and see where I'm at before making a decision.

This.

That.

But will be watching to rest just for the sake of no dropping anything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2011 9:54 AM

Aug 2008
For a 1st episode, I can't say that this episode stood out one way or another. This new Saya is exceptionally daft, but I found her surprisingly sexy during the fight scene. I'm not putting her up for potential harem status as of yet, I'm just saying this because it came to mind.

And as is standard practice during the first episode of an anime, things are overly cryptic. However, I prefer that to a show that spends an obsessive amount of time trying to explain things in the world bit by bit over the early episodes. All that Eight Trigram babble will be explained appropriately in due dime. I think I'm going to give this show a chance even though I'm stuck w/ an extremely limited queue (only 2 or 3 new shows this season). Big risk, but hopefully I don't regret choosing it.

Jul 23, 2011 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
Ahhh... =.=''
CLAMP can do better ... see X ... X was amazing...

Saya is like Watanuki from xxxHolic... maybe a little more atchletic (but Watanuki had talent too - he cooked really well) but she looks a little like Himawari..

Twins... are like Maru and Moro.

Class President = blonde guy from Card Captor Sakura and that blonde guy from Kobato... =.=''

Oh... and that shy guy who was late... looks like Kurogane from Tsubasa Chronicle >.<....

Father-daughter relationship and shrine is like in X >.<
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Jul 24, 2011 6:37 PM
Jul 2011
did saya fight diva again >_<

ah...first impression I guess it is continuation of Blood +
Jul 25, 2011 2:26 AM

Jul 2007
Isurugi-Hiromi said:
did saya fight diva again >_<

ah...first impression I guess it is continuation of Blood +

NO its not.

Its ENTIRELY unrelated to Blood+. Its different Saya and different story and different universe. Its not connected to Blood+ in any way except with name Saya.
Aug 27, 2011 6:24 AM

Jun 2011
I wanted to wait until more episodes came out before I started this series... but I couldn't resist!

I'm actually glad it doesn't seem like a Blood+ clone. Although I did enjoy Blood+ (except for the whole Riku thing... x_x;;), this new series seems fresh & revamped.

I'm glad this Saya seems so different. Bring on more episodes!
Jan 24, 2012 5:25 PM

Oct 2007
I agree with 5camp's comment. It was a rather dull start to the latest addition to the Blood saga and I'm very unimpressed. Though I am intrigued how they're going to relate this to the other Blood sets (all the manga, the film, and the Blood+ series). Are they going to keep it in line with the Blood+ story or is this going to be a completely different non-canonical universe?
The fight was pretty cool, and the mantis monster was kind of awesome, but I'm not holding my breath for the series. Then maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll keep watching though.
Apr 6, 2012 6:47 PM

Feb 2012
Puh, pretty rough start and Saya's hair is stupid.
May 1, 2012 10:21 AM

Mar 2012
Saya.... you are awesome. XD :3

i thought at first she was going to fight a statue. Since it first looks like it. o-o;;
Jul 6, 2012 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
I've considered Blood+ to be one of my favorite animes ever since I started watching it. When I saw that Blood-C was related, I knew I'd have to watch it sometime...

and I did. What is the point? This alternate story doesn't appear to live up to Blood+ at all by first impressions. Blood+'s first episode, without any spoilers, was intense and drew me instantly. I can detect no similarities between the two Blood titles besides a girl named Saya, the sword, and that awesome opening. The opening isn't even on par with Blood+'s, though. xD (Who doesn't include opening #2 among the best ever?) In spoiler for some nostalgia!

I kept scanning students' faces for a possible Haji, too, but I guess he's not here either.

Too bad it's impossible to view this anime without comparing it to Blood+, but I don't suppose I'm meant to.

One thing's for certain, though. That fight was wonderfully bloody.
CathedralJul 6, 2012 7:26 AM
Sep 6, 2012 2:26 AM

Jul 2008
A cute klutz and a badass at the same time, I like this.
Jan 26, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2011
I like this so far. The fighting was really good, it didn't really show Saya as a "super-human" who can finish off the monster in one slice. It shows she's (somewhat) human. I think I'm going to enjoy this!
Apr 8, 2013 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
This is a rocky start. At least saya was badass.
Oct 19, 2014 11:24 AM

Feb 2013
In a word, "underwhelming". They should have just jumped straight to the action. I'm here for blood and guts, not some school-life romcom.
Feb 5, 2015 10:53 PM

Nov 2012
For the first episode that was nice OoO
Mar 6, 2015 4:01 AM

Aug 2014
This looks better than Blood+. Thank goodness.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 22, 2016 8:11 PM

May 2012
it wasnt good, but i found it oddly fulfilling for what it was lol
Feb 8, 2016 11:53 PM

Sep 2012
I started watching this because of youtube watching most brutal anime deaths. I have to say, this is pretty good.
Mar 27, 2017 5:56 AM

Feb 2015
Well, wasn't quite sure what to expect with this when I heard it wasn't a direct sequel to Blood+. It was interesting tho with the odd mix of 1/2 happy go lucky slice of life 1/2 dark, serious monster slaying. Seems like there is more under the surface here...between Saya's klutzy, airhead day persona and more serious kick-ass fighter by night persona, etc. Maybe that day persona is an act? Feel there is more to that mix of SoL world by day and darkness going on here too...

Sep 11, 2019 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
Starting this anime for the first time. I don't know anything about it other than the fact that it's known for its gore. I saw the "school scene" a couple times on YT, like in "bloody anime" compilations, but apparently that's not until episode 9. Along with some other clips I might've seen beforehand, I simply deducted it was a gorey show about monsters. But what really inclined me to watch this was the BRIGHT COLORS (backgrounds) that contrasted the grim tone of the show, something several people seemed to have noted on this platform. While they say it takes a way from the show, I think otherwise. Such beautiful, beautiful settings and backgrounds -- so bright and vivid and really show the beauty of the country of Japan. I especially like the bright, colorful settings with the monsters and gore occuring in its midst. That contrast really impelled me to watch the anime.

SO, ***Episode 1***

Here we go. Lol.

It was fine. The real reason I wanted to write on this forum was simply to say the fight scene was gorgeously executed. I mean, absolutely phenomenal. The monsters in this series looked terrifying, as are their capabilities -- and this was my impression beforehand -- but seeing the primary antagonist of this episode was super eerie. A terrifying looking statue (statues are scary enough) that just HOVERS a few inches over the water, my gosh. And it's MOVEMENTS and the fluid way it coordinates itself in the air. Terrifying. And yeah, the lotus arms to add to the horror. It's speed and reflexes also add to the terror. So great "villain", SUPER fluid/entertaining fight scene. Probably the highlight of the show.

... other details to note, the silent staredown only to be met with a heart-stopping *POUND* ... the strategic nature of Sayu, like when she pretends to be dead in the fog of the water OR when she dove UNDER the hovering statue to reach her sword. I EVEN liked how the blood of the statue would splash onto the screen ("lens"). My issue with this was that the blood would blur across the screen, however the actual water they fought in didn't splash the screen.

I HEAR however that the overall story is not and won't be any good though, and we'll be "left in the dark" regarding these monsters purposes.

Therefore I will say I can't nor can anyone else take anything away from this first episode. We don't know wtf the story is as it just seemed like a bunch of random events.

Why'd the girl stop at the cross-walk before and stare into the horizon? (Very eerie, quiet, and a lot of tension... was it all for no reason?) ... And can this girl sense the monsters? Is that why she knew where to find the statue?

Other side notes, the twins are annoying AF. It can be a common trope in anime but it's such a take-away for me when animes throw in identical twins that say things at the same time or act in unison. Just seems unrealistic. I know the franchise as a whole is fiction, of course, but when the unrealism becomes distracting, I get a bit annoyed. Lol, that's the end of my critiques though. I think. Maybe.

I'm entertained but I'm very confused and do have quite a few other minor qualms.

Uh...

I saw someone note the "lanky" "noodle" limbs of the characters. At one point I actually did notice that. When the "group of four" girls were walking back from gym class, the legs on the twins looked terrifying. I have no other qualms with the animation, though, aside from the way the characters look at times.

My final complaint... a common trope in anime is to pierce/penetrate/stab things with swords -- then to remove the blade from the body -- only to be followed by silence, only for the blood to explode out of the body 5 seconds later. (Commonly seen in scenes with Zoro from One Piece.) You feel me? That's another "unrealistic" qualm I have. And it's gotten cliche at this point as well. To rephrase my issue, by this anime's logic, you can stab someone in the chest with a knife and then remove the knife... the victim will stand there and stare for 6-7 seconds, and only THEN will a river of blood splurge out of their chest. I guess production teams are going for an "effect", but like I said, the whole thing seems cliche.

=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

So my thoughts were a bit scattered. I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't feel like reading it. But in essence, these were my primary thoughts during the episode. The things I actually felt the need to share after finishing it. I derived intrigue and entertainment from it, but there's without a doubt things that don't sit right with me (and clearly others).
Sep 11, 2019 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
WOW, the three posts above mine ALL some up my thoughts EXACTLY. GOOD to know I'm not alone on a lot of this stuff.

* Frequency said "it wasnt good, but i found it oddly fulfilling for what it was"... which is literally what I was trying to convey in my prior post but couldn't find the right wording. I like this phrase though. Episode 1 wasn't good, but it was VERY fulfilling for what it was. Couldn't have said it better myself.

* Guitarplayer came here from YouTube (brutal anime deaths). In my post prior, I stated I came from the same place. So I guess there's a lot of us who have taken interest after watching those peculiar YT videos.

* Phoenix had a similar analysis to mine (which I neglected to mention before)... the episode literally has 2 halves. A slice-of-life half with nothing too peculiar or out of the ordinary, with a second half being a grim, bloody, suspenseful anime battle. The reason Phoenix's use of the word "half" struck me is BECAUSE the word "half" crossed MY mind WHEN the PREVIEW for the next episode began playing at the end. Know what I mean? It looks like a carbon copy of this first episode. We saw some bright and colorful slice-of-life-esque scenes followed by yet another dark and shadowy anime battle. Are all the episodes just halves lol? If so, I certainly wouldn't mind. I think that'd be a pretty neat format.

* Phoenix did briefly question if the klutzy persona was an act, though. I think that's obviously not the case! I've heard others mention her "multiple personalities", but I think it's something that's not deliberate. Did anyone notice, right before defeating the locust statue, that her EYE turned red? Not only that but she seems to have some other spiritual connections/abilities, like seeing/receiving visions of a light, or gaining control over her seemingly demonic sword (note it made her hand shake)... so in other words, I think she's just naturally a gentle klutz but she also has bad-ass capabilities due to her training and via her connection to the spiritual. Her up-brining in that secluded prayer-based environment with her father must've contributed to this converse demeanor.

These are all just deductions after episode 1 though. I honestly know nothing of the series myself. I have no background info as well. I simply decided to uptake the series and this is where I started. I'm going into this blindly and have no idea what to expect out of the 11 episodes that'll follow.
Feb 10, 2021 2:22 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow just 10 posts above me is one from back in 2012. Idk bout you but sometimes these ancient discussion threads make it feel like you’re just in limbo, sending your words into the void. Welp, here I am, talking to basically no one, but to the next one who sees this, what’s up, and I hope you’re having a good one. Sorry if it’s getting weird, I’m just in a 2am mood right now...

ANYWAY regarding the actual ANIME I’ve got a number of thoughts but the only one that really matters is hot DAMN the teacher is smoking hot. Haven’t seen a teacher in anime this banging sexy since bitch sensei from assassination classroom

Yeah that’s pretty much it, peace out my dude

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 23, 2021 4:55 AM
Dec 2017
Saya to me well i personally prefer the o.g one.

Aug 28, 2022 7:51 AM
May 2021
i liked the first episode
Mar 11, 2023 12:36 AM
Feb 2023
Interesting start, cool fight scene. Little hard to peak intrest, but ill see how i go
Apr 19, 2023 4:49 PM
Apr 2023
A good hook. I'll continue watching.
Apr 25, 2023 5:33 PM
Feb 2022
La canción de Saya fue suficiente para atraerme. Hora de ver Blood C.
May 13, 2023 12:03 PM

Nov 2010
Their black & red school uniform with chain design looks cool. I wish real-life schools would adopt that design as well, lol.
So far, so good. I like Saya. She's cute! The fight looks decent too.
Sep 30, 2023 8:20 AM

Jan 2023
Interesting intro! :D
Nov 8, 2023 1:02 PM

Dec 2022
The first half wasn't particularly interesting, but it does serve a purpose in juxtaposing Saya's normal student life with her role as a slayer of "Bairn" by night. Also, there's a bunch of random bishie dudes who are probably going to be making passes at Saya at some point, given how this is a CLAMP story.

Great fight with the scythe statue Bairn by the way. If the other Bairn are as voracious and unsettling as this, then it should be a fun watch.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 15, 6:57 PM

May 2021
So far the fight was ok
The monster looked spooky at least
Inhales oxygen
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 18, 2011

190 by Karva1 »»
Feb 16, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 14, 2011

156 by Karva1 »»
Feb 16, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 21, 2011

171 by Beatnik »»
Jan 16, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 1, 2011

131 by dragynfaerie »»
Nov 30, 2023 2:50 PM

Poll: » Blood-C Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 29, 2011

283 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 8, 2023 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.