Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2011 10:20 PM

Sep 2010
I know this is kinda redundant, but i just wanna do these for the sheer fact of discussing it.(and for the fact that others like to discuss it)

Even though i should be watching the sub, at the time of starting this anime i was just watching it for the heck of it(plus, i was interested in a few of the VA's that were in Azumanga Daioh). I like the manga A LOT(Chiyo and Sakaki are my favorite characters), but now that i'm watching more of the anime, its really not bad. Quite good actually.

Here's what i have so far from watching 4 or 5 random episodes.

Yukari's voice is SPOT ON. Luci Christian does a really good job of portraying the craziness, laziness, and somewhat stupidity that is Yukari. One of the most believable performances in the dub. Its just......natural. Good job Luci Christian.

Mandy Clark does a pretty good job with the voice as Tomo. She also does really well with the performance part. However, i think Tomo's voice should have had a little more grit(or if grits not the right word,loudness) to fit the character more. Besides that, she did a pretty good job.

Nancy Novotny is another HANDS DOWN performance. The voice, the attitude, and everything else was performed pretty much perfectly and believably. She sounded very natural and is probably one of the only performances where i thought the voice was pretty much what i would imagine reading the manga.

Jessica Boone did really well for the voice of Chiyo-Chan. It may sound a little high-pitched, but Chiyo-Chan is 10 years old and it fits her personality. I was imagining the voice to be a little less high-pitched, but it still works very well. The performance was good and pretty believable. I find it interesting(and a little scary) how she does this voice for Chiyo and then does a crazy pychopathic voice for Liang Qi in Canaan.

Kira Vincent-Davis's performance as Kasuga(Okaka) is the only one i wasn't really satisfied with. I know she's suppose to sound slow and distant, but somehow the voice sounded too slow and distant. It just seemed kinda fake. The voice fit and the performance is okay, but it just seemed fake. I kinda expected a voice that sounded like a combination of Kaorin's english voice with less high pitch with the combination of the Okaka accent. Still, it was good enough.

Christine Auten as Sakaki is another voice i was concerned with. At first, it didn't seem to fit as much. It sounded a bit too mature(even though Sakaki is mature) and didn't fit the voice i had in mind when reading the manga. But as i watched more i found that the voice just fit more and more.

I wanted her voice to sound a little less mature because Sakaki was still in high school, but after thinking about it i realized that that's how she's suppose to sound. She's in high school yes, but she's also tall,silent, and mature with a fuzzy center. After that, i found that her voice fit just about perfectly with the character, and it was believable for the most part. I would have liked to see less moments of soft talking so i could hear more of her voice, but that wouldn't be Sakaki. Ovarall, Christine did a really good job with Sakaki, and i'm really starting to like the voice now^^;;(Sakaki being one of my crushes). I find it cool and interesting how she does other roles in Bubblegum Crisis and Fullmetal Alchemist(and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood). She needs more roles.

Allison Sumrall as Kagura was...interesting. Her voice kinda sounded like Tomo's only a little more mature and a little less annoying. Then again, Kagura is not a character i'm too fond off(although i like her better than Tomo), so i guess i'm judging a bit hard. It's a good voice though and it fits the character well. The overall performance seems genuine too from what i've seen(not too much yet), and promising.

I also like the voice for Chihiro(Hilary Hagg is awesome at that sort of thing),Kitamura(voice is actually creepy^^), and Kitamura's Wife(Kaytha Coker does a pretty good job)

(although when i imagine her voice in the manga, i always think of Kari Whalgreen doing her voice(Sanae) ).

One other voice i REALLY like is Jason Douglas as Chiyo's Dad. Not the voice i imagine in the manga, but it is still very good and convincing. All the scenes with Chiyo's dad are still funny with the voice, and when he says "Chiyo, eat your Tomatoes", you can't help smiling. The way he says it make it funny. and Also......................

DO YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT THEIR ARE CATS THAT ARE REAL AND ONES THAT ARE NOT??!!!(awesomness)

Not sure if its as awesome as SUPER SIZE ME(Haruhi), but i think it is and i like it.

He also needs more roles, although he is in Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood and Dragon Ball Kai.

Also

REALLY like him as Childman from Socerous Stabber Orphen.

Ovarall, i would say that the dub for Azumanga Daioh was REALLY good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Dec 18, 2007

82 by Sp00kyIsyraf »»
May 13, 9:28 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 13, 2008

68 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
May 13, 6:46 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 7, 2008

98 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
May 13, 2:53 PM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 25, 2008

69 by KitsuFrost »»
May 13, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Azumanga Daioh Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jan 18, 2008

82 by Maxifjto »»
May 8, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.