Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 19, 2008 6:56 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode. Mayer, Re-l is hot. So you have finally accepted that you are Ergo Proxy, Vincent Law
Sep 12, 2008 5:01 AM

Jan 2008
What a...lame episode really. Spent an entire episode accepting the fact he is Ergo Proxy was a waste of time >_>
Oct 14, 2008 7:40 PM

Jun 2008
okay i'm lost now did they just spend the whole episode just for him to accept that he's a ergo proxy
Oct 26, 2008 8:09 PM

Jan 2008
Really good episode. And in my opinion, it was not only spent on him accepting that he's the Ergo proxy. It introduces what Ergo proxy stands for and links back to it's past -though not clearly, probably will see more about how he killed people in Mosque- and for the first time made me feel Vincent's character. Before this episode his character had no depth at all.
Jan 5, 2009 12:08 PM
Sep 2008
Ah my god! Creepy bookstore :P

Great episode, a bit confusing but I like it that way ^^

Perhaps Vincent is just possessed på Ergo Proxy, but it's more probable that they are the same person...
May 18, 2009 4:40 AM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed this more than I should have. I'm really liking Vincent Law now.
May 30, 2009 2:32 AM

Dec 2008
so the bow and life at first completely unrelated but both lead to death. heh quite an interesting philosophy there.

vince has finally accepted himself.
and re-l has finally caught up to him. looking forward to the next ep.
Jul 25, 2009 9:50 PM

Nov 2008
Very esoteric episode. I'm not sure how much of the episode was real and fake. Maybe it doesn't even matter.

The two voices, the Ergo Proxy and the bookstore owner, they argued with each other but maybe they're both from within Vince's head. If the bookstore owner isn't from his head, I'd like to know where the Hell he came from.
Sep 22, 2009 2:18 PM
Jul 2009
This, personally, was an okay episode.

I was kinda disappointed to find out that Vincent is the main character. I kind of wanted it to be Re-l
Sep 25, 2009 2:43 PM

May 2007
Wha......

That was weird, Anno would be proud
My anime list
May 9, 2010 5:31 AM

Jul 2009
This whole episode reminded me of the final two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Where, in EVA Shinji was breaking down the barriers between his mind and the minds of the others, here Vincent was coming to terms with all his memories which point to him being Ergo Proxy. Especially the moment where he attacked Re-l.
Jul 1, 2010 10:39 AM

Mar 2009
This episode alone makes this series memorable for me. It really opened the floodgates, so to speak. Determinism and free will, the nature of existence and reality, the importance of personal identity; all were questioned in this episode, and for once, Vincent Law begins to understand and take responsibility for what he is. Totally blew me away. Can't wait to see more and where this is all leading, and what path Vincent will follow, and how he will deal with his situation.
Jul 18, 2010 12:25 AM
Jan 2009
Hey, I live 3 blocks away from City Lights bookstore in SF!
Jul 29, 2010 7:59 PM

May 2010
Shit's getting trippier by the episode.
Aug 16, 2010 1:26 PM

Dec 2008
5 out of 5: Loved it! (your vote)

This episode was just WEIRD!!! But, I loved every minute of it!

Vincent Law and his green eyes are incredibly HOT!! And Ergo Proxy is sexy too!!
Nov 6, 2010 3:00 AM

Aug 2010
I knew the whole episode he'd be accepting he was a Proxy but everything else was a mind rape to me.

Who was that old man? Why was Vincents other transformation trying to tell him???? Still i like the mystery aspect of this show.
Nov 11, 2010 8:02 AM
Jun 2008
kie_ said:
okay i'm lost now did they just spend the whole episode just for him to accept that he's a ergo proxy

I think they did ;o;
Feb 6, 2011 6:37 PM

Apr 2009
Ohh that was some philosophy lecture just so he can accept himself... thank God for the endnotes!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 16, 2011 3:09 AM

Dec 2007
mitamaking said:
Wha......

That was weird, Anno would be proud

Exactly! My favorite episode of the series thus far, absofuckinggreat!
Mar 6, 2011 2:58 PM

Oct 2009
The fuck? I never asked for Evangelion all over again ffs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2011 3:25 AM
Mar 2011
What a masterpiece of an episode! This anime is really picking up - looking foward to Ep12 now.

This episode was very introspective, creative and creepy.

And yes, Re'L was sexy in those flashbacks (when the proxy head wasn't on her) ...yeah, I said it! <3_<3
Apr 10, 2011 7:21 AM

Jun 2009
I HATED this ep! I hate it when they have psychological fillers like this, it just puts me off completely
Apr 10, 2011 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
anteUp said:
What a masterpiece of an episode! This anime is really picking up - looking foward to Ep12 now.

This episode was very introspective, creative and creepy.

And yes, Re'L was sexy in those flashbacks (when the proxy head wasn't on her) ...yeah, I said it! <3_<3

I don't know about the 'creative and creepy' thrill but honestly what did we learn new that we didn't already know here?
It was already established that he was the Ergo Proxy from the last ep (and Rei is probably a Proxy too from what Dedalaus hinted). Well I'm happy you liked it, but unfortunately (for me) it didn't have the same effect on me I have to say :-(
May 3, 2011 5:34 PM

Mar 2011
Total Mindfuck.
Nov 14, 2011 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
This has been the best episode this far, without any doubt.
Aug 28, 2012 1:07 PM

May 2012
Great episode finally a decent interesting episode :D
Oct 19, 2012 11:47 AM

May 2010
Great thought-provoking episode..
Although I'm lost at some points..

I love how this series tackles philosophy. :D
Dec 26, 2012 11:34 AM

Dec 2012
meneope said:
I HATED this ep! I hate it when they have psychological fillers like this, it just puts me off completely

"psychological fillers" wut? Mabey it's just too sophisticated and deep for you...
Dec 26, 2012 11:41 AM

Oct 2012
PoyoIsAvatar said:
meneope said:

"psychological fillers" wut? Mabey it's just too sophisticated and deep for you...

Or just not a fan of psychological thrillers in general seems to be the case.
Though, I did find that comment about "psychological fillers" kinda funny.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 18, 2013 11:54 PM

Dec 2012
Oh look, the little baby with ergo proxy head is kinda cute xD
Feb 2, 2013 8:23 AM

Jan 2012
Weird episode, to much talking for my taste. Anyway, glad to see Re-l is finally here.

Mar 9, 2013 7:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
StormViruz said:
Great thought-provoking episode..
Although I'm lost at some points..

I love how this series tackles philosophy. :D

Definitely an interesting episode. My brain turned into mush half way through. The Ergo Proxy's voice in this episode made me want to punch someone because I found it obnoxious. At the end when the bookstore guy said the tea was ready since it's been three minutes, all I thought was, no it's been fucking 20 minutes. But still, I like the approach this anime took to show the internal conflict Vincent was going through. It's one of those classic themes of accepting yourself, especially the parts that you can't change. As much as Vincent hates to admit, he is Ergo Proxy and there's nothing he can do about it. It's hard to face reality, and that's why it took this whole episode for him to accept himself.
Mar 13, 2013 7:20 AM

Mar 2013
"This is a dream."
"Of course not, Vincent Law."

I really enjoyed this episode, even though Pino inhabited by Proxy was super creepy... The old dude looks really cool when he opens one eye and smiles. 'Keeper of Memories' I think he was called? Seemed to be a little at odds with Proxy. I'm guessing he's the (mental) embodiment of when Vincent sealed his memories?

IMO this was allot better than Shinji's 'mind lapse' in the original Evangelion.
Apr 2, 2013 1:14 PM

Jul 2009
I am the only one who thinks that whenever Re-l don't get much screen time the eps are kinda boring...until now I can't get myself to like Vicent/Ergo Proxy...
May 2, 2013 6:56 AM

Dec 2012
I think this episode has a moral / conclusion : " You will never change what's been and gone"
Confused episode, though xD
May 9, 2013 9:22 AM
Oct 2012
People here are complaining that "this ep just showed us what we already knew!"
So let's take a closer look. This episode shows how Ergo Proxy (and probably the other proxys) can enter people's mind. You can see that the old man say: they can appear and desappear, even destroy a world and then just rebuild another one. With this we can imagine how powerful is a Proxy.
And yes, I think the old man is actually old Vincent himself.

PS: Ergo Proxy does not have fillers.
May 23, 2013 12:54 AM

Jan 2013
Usually I dont like this sort of episode, but this was good.
Jun 27, 2013 1:12 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Good episode although maybe a tad verbose for my taste. Show it, don't say it Mr. Sato. In any case, Vincent has finally accepted that he is a proxy and let's see were that leads. Unexpectedly Re-L finds him rather quickly.

BTW, I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but don't you find Re-L one of the truly hottest female characters ever. Every time she's on screen I'm mesmerized (that's even with the uneven animation in some episodes).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Mar 2013
Yes, very much so.

Marzan said:

BTW, I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but don't you find Re-L one of the truly hottest female characters ever. Every time she's on screen I'm mesmerized (that's even with the uneven animation in some episodes).
Sep 18, 2013 12:19 PM

Jun 2012
So he has accepted himself, i really like vince as a character.

I can imagine a lot of people being confused by this episode, but there really wasn't that much to it xD It shows how all this time he was just forgetting things on purpose because he couldnt accept it and just shutting it out. Also a bit of philosophy etc. good episode though, enjoyed it and it makes me like vince more.

Im guessing vince was the one who fucked up mosque, which is why he can't remember it.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 2, 2013 12:12 AM

Feb 2013
Lol seeing Ergo Proxys head on everyone really creeped me out, especially the baby and Re-L >_<

Marzan said:
I agree, shes gotta be one of the hottest looking female characters Ive ever seen.
Oct 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Jan 2012
yeah i liked it, even though it was essentially just vincent accepting who he is... PROXY! loved how they did it, could have been such a boring episode!
Nov 4, 2013 7:04 AM

Nov 2009
Don't really like these types of episodes . . . Anime spewing philosophical ideals that aren't properly developed or relevant is the case 99% of the time in these types of episodes, not only that but usually it turns out to be a pile of drivel since the majority of the dialogue contradicted itself and thus meant absolutely nothing . . .

However looking forward to the new development, will be alot better than just a different way of doing a recap episode.
Nov 9, 2013 5:08 PM

Oct 2013
They are seriously getting into some meta shit now. Its a nice refreshing break from shows that try to spell every little thing out to you
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 10, 2013 6:14 PM

Jul 2012
I hate how everytime someone comes up trying to put philosophy in today's culture the ignorant come and say "it's mind fuck, what kind of weed you smoke" seriously this series I'm pretty sure is going to get more philosophical so drop it by now if you disliked this episode. Otherwise you'll give a lame review with something like "too unnecesary complicated blabla"
Mar 1, 2014 9:05 AM
Jun 2013
Episode was a huge waste of time. They just told us what we already knew and now vicent accepts it. thats it. It was such a boring way they did it. They somehow talked for a while without adding anything at all. Man what a bad episode.
Mar 10, 2014 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Easily the best episode of
the show so far.
Vincent's reluctance to admit that he's the Ergo Proxy shows the mental torments in his mind. I really felt sorry for him. Also, I still think Re-I's the main character of the show. Vincent, though, maybe the most important character in relation to the overall plot.
5/5..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 12, 2014 12:10 AM
Feb 2014
"I think therefore you are" + final shot before credits = wow.
Apr 11, 2014 11:02 PM
Jul 2012
Very deep episode.

Been know that Vincent is an proxy already since I first heard back at episode nine I think.

So much mind fuck for Vincent in one episode. And oh shoot, Re-I finally found Vincent and Pino saw what she see. Getting good right there!

4.5/5

Sanjur0 said:
Yes, very much so.

Marzan said:

Sae with me. Even though her eyes sometimes looks ugly depending on the episodes but she looks pretty.
Apr 20, 2014 2:51 PM

Feb 2010
I'll forgive this show just this once for going into philosophical rambling since Vincent has now accepted his fate as a Proxy. Let's just hope the show can keep itself off these tangents.

But somehow, I'm doubtful.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

94 by RGreatDanton »»
May 22, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - May 29, 2008

105 by RGreatDanton »»
May 22, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xel - May 28, 2008

152 by RGreatDanton »»
May 22, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.