Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 2011 2:41 PM

Mar 2009
What is an otaku?
Otaku is a japanese word. In western world the word is mostly used for animefan. But in Japan it means obsessed with anime. It used for manga, games and other stuff, too.
Another word for otaku are geek and nerd.

What is an otaku in your opinion?
Everybody see otakus at other point of view. What are otakus for you?

Are you an otaku?
You need answer the question above first. The real meaning of otaku doesn't matter. I ask your meaning of otaku. Are you an otaku?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Aug 2010
Otaku as a Japanese word means "one's house"
the word after got a bad meaning when teenagers started using it, then it turned to be a word that meant the unhealthy-obsessed person, means that person doesn't go out of their house or they even forget to eat etc because they do not wont to get away from the thing(s) they are obsessed with.
west of course took the word and made it lighter, like everything west gets hold of and changes the meaning >_> (example is shounen-ai/shoujo-ai which is not a soft for of yaoi/yuri but actually pedophilia *facepalm*)

I personally follow the Japanese meaning of the word so Otaku for me is the unhealthily obsessed person not a normal fan who enjoys something.

Am I otaku?
sure not for anime, I live and breath of my favorite theater, me and the rest of the huge fans of he theater we call our selves "zukaota" but only for the LOLz because believe me nobody would like to be called an otaku in Japan I personally prefer the term: "daifan" (大ファン)which means huge fan
(ง`▽´)ง
Jun 1, 2011 3:04 PM

Apr 2011
If I'm into a show I like then I can watch up to ten episodes a day, but normally I watch less than an hour a day. I spend more time than I plan on MAL and discuss anime. However, being obsessed just seems like too much of an energy expenditure.

Besides that, there's always drawbacks to applying labels to oneself and others. Some people will say "I'm an otaku" and see it as a good thing, then someone else will come along and say "no, I'm even more an otaku than you!" then an argument occurs as to who is a bigger otaku. Or someone might call someone otaku as a pejoritive. Either way the label obscures who a person really is.
Jun 1, 2011 3:59 PM

Aug 2009
Tbh I hate labels with a great passion. I think everyone is special and sees things through his/her own POV.
So no, I don't concider myself an otaku, a "fangirl" with the obsessed meaning of the term, or whatever makes me part of a herd.
I like to go with what Harukachan said, I'm just a plain fan of some stuff. And in my head this word means more that I enjoy them a lot and I like discussing the things I like with other people.

Like Lotus said, somedays I like watching many episodes in a row, but I don't feel any different by doing that. I don't feel more "otakish" or whatever. People like belonging somewhere, it brings some sort of "safety". My moto though would be to create, making a difference is what we are all about.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Jun 1, 2011 4:48 PM

Dec 2008
No offense to absolutely anyone when I say this, especially since it is my opinion and my opinion alone: I absolutely HATE when someone - not Japanese, mind you - states they like anime and say they are an otaku - and a whole clash of people tackle on top of them for how wrong and sick they are for using the term. "Don't you know what that MEANS?! How dare you use that term! Do you even realize what you're saying?! Just say 'anime fan.' HOW HARD IS THAT?!"

I cannot tell you how much bashing and name calling and ridiculousness I have seen on forums for this kind of thing over something so silly. LOL INTERNETZ B SRS BIZNESS.

In Japan, yes, it has/did have a somewhat negative connotation for practically being an obsessive shut-in and there was that crime with that anime otaku guy and whatnot. But words only gain as much power as we give them. In case others haven't noticed, American anime culture varies greatly from Japanese anime culture - we Americans look at things differently than the Japanese people sometimes, it's just how different cultures work. "Otaku" is just a Japanese word to refer to an anime fan here. It's like an in joke for fans or something. Why people get so high and mighty and nasty and horrible over a simple word to refer to THEMSELVES drives me nuts.

Okay, now that that mini rant is out of my system, I definitely see it as just another word for "nerd" or "geek" in Japanese while being specifically geared for an anime fan for English speakers/Americans. I don't know how it is for the rest of the world, I haven't been there. So I'm speaking from my limited experience and interactions with the world.

Now: Do I use the word "otaku" to refer to myself? No, I do not. Why? I did not learn what an "otaku" was until several years after I had gotten into anime. I always referred myself as just "an anime fan," because that's what I am. "Otaku" is annoying to explain to people who just don't understand, plus in high school it was considered very weeaboo-ish to use Japanese words to refer to anything. My first few Japanese words were, "Konnichiwa," "kawaii," and "chibi." From what I learned, I learned the negative view of the word "otaku" first, so I kind of refrained from using it and was surprised to find others using it when I was younger. But with age you come to realize that many people overreact to things and sometimes people are just obsessive so you can't believe everything you read and hell - YOU CAN HAVE THOUGHTS OF YOUR OWN. That was a hard thing for me growing up, I think.

I don't bat an eye when people call themselves that now or when I see people using it online (like a la "America's Greatest Otaku"). It's just another word, just another label for people. Personally, I'm not all that fond of labels, despite how certain friends of mine insist I need them, but I try not to put so much emphasis on them. Otaku is a stereotype, as is a weeaboo, deal it out as you will.
Jun 1, 2011 5:00 PM

May 2011
I didn't really learn what "otaku" was until recently, and personally don't care much about the label itself, what's important is the intention behind the labeling. In high school, when people called me a "band nerd" it was usually semi-affectionately, like "you don't do anything else with your life, but that's your thing and that's cool." So I called myself a band nerd, and still do even when I haven't actively played in a couple of years.
I wouldn't freak out if someone called me an "otaku" any more than that. Unless they're being especially nasty about it, I'm not really worried.

@Sarah, I totally had never heard the word "weeaboo" before, and had to go look it up. >_<
Jun 1, 2011 5:12 PM

Jan 2011
i'm enjoying the uber-intellegent responses here, and for the most part they correspond with my own thoughts. whether it's the statement that is it us who give weight to such words, or the dislike of labels, or the meaning of the word itself and the different worldviews on it, i cannot disagree. i think it is a byproduct of this club being older and more mature in their thoughts, bravo!

for myself, i would say i'm dorky and maybe geeky too, but i have too many interests to lump myself with any of them. anime is but one aspect, and not nearly the largest in my life. it is a fun hobby, great entertainment, and a happy distraction from the cold realities of life, but that is as far as it goes for me. i enjoy it greatly, but it is by no means a driving force, in any way, in my life.

i cannot speak much to my "meaning" of the word, as much of the "jargon" of anime fandom is relatively new to me. i feel a newbie in many ways on here, i constantly google to figure out what this or that term means. if someone says all it means obsessive, or just an anime fan, so be it. i would just call myself an anime fan and leave it at that. if someone wants to call me otaku or anything else, i pay no more mind to it than a hair out of place. i loathe the internet squabbles of what this means or that, it seems the vagaries of one's feeling superior over another..labels in general really. i've dealt with it often, who's more "metal" or "hardcore" for example. labels often seem to breed in the insecurities of those who charge it most often. but no offense whatsoever to anyone who calls themselves "otaku." fine, that's awesome, i have no quarrel with that, as long as you're comfortable in your own skin.

ok i ranted a little off subject there and preached a bit...i could have just said..."uhhh, no not really" =P
Jun 1, 2011 7:58 PM

Dec 2008
nebuladraconian said:
@Sarah, I totally had never heard the word "weeaboo" before, and had to go look it up. >_<

Eheh, sorry about that. ^^;

I just feel like certain anime fans treat the word "otaku" just the same way haters throw around the word "weeaboo" - seen just as derogatory. For some people I think they're treated synonymously.

For anyone else who doesn't know, here's the Know Your Meme version. For the harsher language version, here's Urban Dictionary's.

I absentmindedly threw that term into the mix of my rant without explaining it, and for that I apologize.

Otherwise, yeah. Haters gonna hate. :P
Jun 1, 2011 8:39 PM

May 2011
That's okay, I've always been a bit behind on stuff like that. >_< Never mind that I type my fingers off here, I'm notoriously antisocial out in the real world. It's not strange at all that I missed that one.
This made me lol...

Stereotypes of “Weeaboo”

There are numerous online discussions and referential sources discussing the stereotypes and traits of “Weeaboo”; some of the most notable observational jokes include:

1. Excessive use of Japanese words in replacement of English
(semi-check)

2. Favoritism of Japanese imports over domestic equivalents

3. Hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket
(check)

4. Crowding the manga section of your local book store (semi-check)

5. Seeking Japanese partners only in Personals on Craigslist (wtf?)

6. Ability to memorize and recite Anime opening theme songs (super-check)

1. I'm trying to learn Japanese, and in the future, other languages. I will definitely be using words of those languages and English interchangeably. I don't care how weird it is, or that I have to explain what I'm saying.

3. Of course I hang out in the "international" isle. I love to cook, especially asian & mexican food. I like anything with lots of flavor.

4. I will crowd any isle of any book store if they have a book I want. I do browse the manga isle, but I've never bought any (yet.)

5. Seriously? Wow.

6. I listen to my anime music so much it annoys my friends, even the ones who like anime.

The dog posters are hilarious :P
Jun 1, 2011 9:03 PM

Dec 2008
@nebuladraconian: Hah, what a list.

1. I do speak in Japanese randomly, finding myself slightly bowing to people in thanking them for their help. I've taken a couple of classes and sometimes I will practice by myself and I have accidentally, absentmindedly said something in Japanese to just get a big, "HUH?!?!!" from whoever I'm talking to. XD

2. This one's weird. There's a lot of hardcore fans who are like, "BUY FROM JAPAN; DON'T BUY AMERICAN RELEASES THEY DON'T BENEFIT CREATORS AT ALL, derp." Which is all lies, of course. The American companies get their licenses from the Japanese companies after all. Plus the Japanese releases usually wind up more expensive and with less bang for your buck (a whole series versus the cost of two episodes - what's the smarter purchase?). Obviously I'm just talking about anime and not the cost of manga (manga is cheaper there) and not talking about ALL products like some Japanophiles will sometimes encourage you to believe. (No offense Japanophiles, Japan is cool, wouldn't be in this hobby if I didn't think it wasn't, haha.)

3. I like popping into the international aisle because I like to see what different countries offer. But I do get daring enough to try some kind of Japanese flavoring or miso soup or something that I've never tried before.

4. That whole "seeking a Japanese girlfriend" thing bugs me. Asians are pretty cute people - by that I mean the girls, don't worry guys, you're great too - but just because they're Japanese doesn't mean they're going to like everything you do. Preferring a certain race just seems... weird to me, idk. Love is love, people are people. Everyone is different.

5. I circle the manga section of the bookstore and I'm there so much people recognize me. But seriously, I make sure I leave with whatever I want, or if they don't have it, I've circled the area like a shark at least five times seeking it out.

6. 95% of my iPod is nothing but anime music and 90% of it are anime opening and ending themes. I get teased for it if I'm in the car with other people, "Go on, translate it," or "You don't understand a single thing they're saying, damn it's annoying," but it's my car and my music, so nyah. That's why you have your headphones, use 'em.

To the average person, I'm sure I appear very weeaboo. One of my friends once told me, "You're sooooo close to being a weeaboo, but you're just mature about it," or something along those lines. And I was kind of like, "Erm, thanks? Am I supposed to be proud about this?" XD

If someone called me weeaboo I'd consider them overly judgmental. If someone called me otaku, I'd consider it more of a compliment.

Sorry for going slightly off topic there.
Jun 2, 2011 1:55 AM

Aug 2010
I know the term better as "wapanese" an it is used as an insult
I didn't state it before but I loath stereotypes as well

I'm greek I know greek, english and I'm still learning japanese, so of course I use many english words while I'm talking in greek why I'm not called wannabe american/english but if I dare to use a japanese word I'm labeled wapanese?

in greece we only produce food, so we basically import everything so yeah I wear american clothes, french perfume, italian shoes, and my devices are japanese I don't see the point of the above claim

I hardly hang out at the supermarket, and we do not have international section, I prefer my country's food by the way

4. Crowding the manga section of your local book store

bookstores here do not have manga section, but then again why the comic book section is never slammed but manga is?

5. Seeking Japanese partners only in Personals on Craigslist

I do not seek any partner thank you very much I like my loneliness.
Also finding someone of a certain race aesthetically nice is as normal as when people people have a taste over hair colors or eyes or whatever.

6. Ability to memorize and recite Anime opening theme songs

music is music, I never listen to greek music, why should I when everything about it turns my stomach? I listen to western music (english and spanish, sometimes french) Japanese music is not only anme music, is also pop,rock,metal,classical, or my fav kind music from musicals. I do not see the point to understand every little word on the music you listen that's BS, ppl listen to instrumental a lot too. Also as long as the music abuses only my ears then I do not see their discomfort

ALL points are Stereotypical BS everyone can like whatever they want, Do I come and bitch on you when you listen untalented sluts who abuse my aesthetics? No! so stop bitching on me over the art I prefer!
(ง`▽´)ง
Jun 2, 2011 2:16 AM

May 2011
*applause* I hadn't considered how it would be seen from the point of view of someone not from america. Thanks for that, Haruka.

(Just kinda btw everyone, I got that little list from the Know Your Meme that CardcaptorKitty posted earlier. I thought it was funny to compare myself to the list. Don't shoot me please lol. I don't agree with it either...)
Jun 2, 2011 8:27 AM

Apr 2011
JusticeUndone said:
Tbh I hate labels with a great passion. I think everyone is special and sees things through his/her own POV.

"When you label me, you negate me" -Soren Kierkegaard

CardcaptorKitty said:
No offense to absolutely anyone when I say this, especially since it is my opinion and my opinion alone: I absolutely HATE when someone - not Japanese, mind you - states they like anime and say they are an otaku - and a whole clash of people tackle on top of them for how wrong and sick they are for using the term. "Don't you know what that MEANS?! How dare you use that term! Do you even realize what you're saying?! Just say 'anime fan.' HOW HARD IS THAT?!"

I cannot tell you how much bashing and name calling and ridiculousness I have seen on forums for this kind of thing over something so silly.

There's a forum post on MAL title "best and worst of the anime community" where everyone basically bashes every conceivable type of anime fan. That was the first time I heard the word Otaku

billmurderface said:
for myself, i would say i'm dorky and maybe geeky too

What's the difference between a dork and a geek?
Lotus97Jun 2, 2011 9:18 AM
Jun 3, 2011 6:53 AM

Mar 2009
Dork and geek for short:
Dork is an another word for idiot. Geek is a computer freak, but a geek isn't an idiot. Geek know a lots about computer, but an dork knows nothing.

If you say few words in Japanese, it's fine even you pronounce them wrong. But if you use japanese words excessive and the sentence don't make sense and you pronounce them wrong, you're random.
What does a person looks like, if he/she use excessive english words randomly in other languages? Does he/she sound cool?
If you want to use japanese words excessive, it's fine as long as you've fun.

What ...

If you wanna do it in Germany, it will be expensive, because you have to pay the shipping cost. You can buy rice in supermarket and you don't need to buy japanese rice. You can buy stuffs like Japanese could buy. But if you really want to buy japanese stuff only, you've to be rich (=> wapanese).

That's fine ... I don't know what's wrong if you want to try something new ... I don't hang out at supermarket.

Yeah, there are no difference, if the mangas are books instead ^^ For comics the same.

Yeah ... It's like prefer girls with blue eyes, blonde hair, ... It's just the matter of taste.

What's wrong about it? Nothing xD People listen to american music and memorize them, even they don't understand a word. In Germany there are many people from other countries. Nobody wonder if you listen to arabic, japanese, chinese, ... music.
Jun 3, 2011 8:07 AM

Jan 2011
i'd have to disagree with nekro's definition of dork, but again, that's something that's up for interpretation. my personal feeling on "dork" is goofy, maybe a bit foolish, but not an idiot. many who i consider a dork are quite smart, just not as serious as those i would consider a geek. again, though, that's just my look on it, i'm sure everyone has their own. geek i would agree, as far as the stereotype of a computer nerd type. again, just my opinion, one of many.
Jun 3, 2011 8:09 AM

Apr 2011
Nekro-Nin said:

Dork and geek for short:
Dork is an another word for idiot. Geek is a computer freak, but a geek isn't an idiot. Geek know a lots about computer, but an dork knows nothing.

What ...

If you wanna do it in Germany, it will be expensive, because you have to pay the shipping cost. You can buy rice in supermarket and you don't need to buy japanese rice. You can buy stuffs like Japanese could buy. But if you really want to buy japanese stuff only, you've to be rich (=> wapanese).

Yeah ... It's like prefer girls with blue eyes, blonde hair, ... It's just the matter of taste.

I guess Steve Urkel was a dork then XD

LOL at anyone who imports special Japanese rice

That's so true. People are considered weird if they have an "asian fetish", but it's considered perfectly normal to prefer white with blond hair. I suppose it's a latent issue of dating outside one's race that always throws some people off.
Jun 3, 2011 8:10 AM

Aug 2009
Reading there 'guidelines' for testing your 'otakuness level', I thought I'd join.

First thing, I don't consider myself any type of otaku (I would maybe be sweets otaku if such thing existed xD ) if we take the term in the way Japanese use it. However, if we take the term in a more liberal sense referring to an anime/manga fan in general then of course I'm guilty of the accusation. And to be honest, I don't care. As others have said, it's just another label, and we'd all do ourselves a favour not to overthink it.

Anyway, as for the list:

Let's see...excessive use - no, but I do tend to favour some Japanese terms instead of their English counterparts. For example, I'd say seiyuu instead of voice actor or mangaka instead of manga artist. I do it because I find such words more fitting than English ones (not to mention my mother tongue) when talking about anime-related stuff.
That being said, I have to admit that sometimes I do use some less 'technical' Japanese words in everyday speech; some time ago I used to adress my mother 'haha' (mostly because that annoyed her =3 ).
makazeharuka made a really good point, the use of English words/phrases/sentences in non-English societies/countries will seldom raise eyebrows. I don't think anyone sneered at the excessive use of French by the vast majority of European nobility few centuries ago >.>. But Japanese...Well, talk about double standards.
To cut the long story short, I don't really mind people using Japanese words as much as they want if it amuses them. their life - their choice. Telling people to "GTFO damn weeaboos" is immature to say the least.

Now, that would be hard to do even if I wanted because a very few Japanese products are actually present on my country's market. I do have some Japanese pens and gadgets, but that's about it. I don't particularly pay attention to the country of origin when buying things, I have stuff I don't that were made God-knows-where, so let's say I'm multicultural in this regard LOL

Okay, these points are becoming stupid. Srsly, why would I hang in a supermarket? Supermarket - for me it's veni, vidi, visa xD

Heh, I wish it had a manga section. Then I might do it. But considering the type of manga that's available here, I doubt.

NO COMMENT here. I seek no partner, Japanese or other.

If they're really, really good, then yes. Why not? If I listen to a song form anime, that's because I like the song itself, not because "it's featured in the greatest animu out there". I listen to pretty much anything that catches my eye (well, more like my ear) because I LOVE music - be it Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Korean etc, etc. Very often I listen o instrumental music. Music is the universal language so---
What I don't get are people who criticize others for listening to/memorizing anime songs. Srsly, wtf?

Summa summarum, these points are screaming stereotypes, but are still somewhat fun.
metamorphiusJun 3, 2011 8:13 AM
Jun 9, 2011 3:37 PM

Oct 2010
I don't consider myself an otaku, not definitely in its Japanese pejorative meaning, but not either in the way we use the word. It's too strong to define my relationship with anime. I am really into many types of animation and anime happens to be maybe the most prominent and varied. I also like, or at least find enjoyable many of its stereotypes, which surely helps. But not certainly to the otaku level, and not even as a hobby that sucks my time... at the moment it's something more sporadic than anything. I would say I'm more of a fan of animation in general, as a way of expression, than an anime fan. Even as a viewer of this stuff I tend to experiment and try new styles rather than stick with one; although I also tend to watch everything from an author whose style looks interesting to me, like everyone I guess.

So, no need to develop the points of weeabooism, but I will give them a try.

This is just like cosplaying. I don't like it, but don't see anything essentially wrong in it, as a harmless way of expressing their love for anime and the cultural influence it has in them. And I admit it, I have thought of some jokes with Japanese expressions that resemble quite a lot Spanish ones. But that's just linguistic gaming and not anime celebration.

Uh... no. In fact I don't care usually for these things, just get what is in the market.

If I did, it would not be for otaku-ism, but curiosity and interest on exotic. But I don't think there's any supermarket with that international aisle, so I can't do it even if I wanted.

I said I like anime because of a further interest in animation; manga is just another completely different thing. I will sum it up by saying I am not a manga reader, as long as I have never been into comics. It's just that they dsn't inspire me to spend my time with them. For example, I have three episodes of Yotsuba I haven't cared to read in six or seven months. And I love the series, but it's just that... I can't become a regular reader. Last attempt was Princess Tutu -a short one- and it's still at episode 2 almost two months later...

Some shameful truth to confess here: I didn't know what Craiglist was/meant, so had to google it. Well, the thing here is that I don't seek partners on Internet, so it's difficult to stick with Japanese in this situation :D. But must admit, I sort of find attractive some of the race features.

Well, it's their fault for being so catchy... Seriously, I don't see how that is an extreme. It just means I have grown a strong passion for a show, or at least its opening; which is a quite normal thing even amongst non-regular anime watchers.
jal90Jun 9, 2011 3:40 PM
Oct 22, 2011 5:31 PM

Aug 2011
hmm i dont think i fit into any group (nobody really does i think) people are normally shocked when they find out im a anime fan. Alot of people just think im a football player or an MMA fighter (idk why lol). I used to hate the jock stereotype bc ppl would assume im dumb, took me years to prove i wasnt to those idiots i wasnt.

but no, i just see myself as a guy with alot of interests
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/GregRocks&sclick=1">

"Gravity is just a myth. Jon Fitch is holding everything down. He's like the opposite of Atlas, he's got the world under his shoulder."
Oct 22, 2011 5:54 PM

Jul 2010
I know that feeling Greg lol i get the same look and shock by people. But i think im a pretty deep Otaku.

Anyone that dreams, watches, dresses up, or draw and XD does that stuff about 24/7 is a otaku to me. XD &lt;3 sushi...

I like to say itadakimasu when i eat japanese or at a japanese steak house... XD if i take my mom or someone out to eat japanese ill be like got to say itadakimasu lol and arigato to the chiefs that make the meal afterwords. I like to drink sake to does anyone like drinking sake? Ill drink it cold or hot as i first tryed it cold then hot but im so use to drinking sake cold.

Oct 22, 2011 6:18 PM

Aug 2011
I could probably write a huge wall of text, but it all comes down to one statement:

context is king

Nonetheless, it is an insult. I certainly wouldn't be happy if the pretty waitress at the Japanese restaurant would call me that. If someone else was, then that's their cup of tea. What if the Japanese used the english term "fucking idiot" in a positive way too. Maybe a fucking idiot would be just someone who likes the color green and prefers non-caffeine coffee for the Japanese then? All that weeaboo shit is just stupid and that wannabe-different westerner-otaku thinking surely is a part of that.

But then again, context is king. That's the beauty of language. We see it every day, when younger people use vulgar curse words as names for their friends, but they completely modify the meaning of the words, so it is no problem. The word "fuck" has, after all, more than 50 different meanings in the english language, which is pretty impressive I think.
Oct 22, 2011 6:52 PM

Feb 2009
I refer to myself as a 1%er for a reason. I simply NEVER fit in.

Name the term, and I can explain how I simply don't fit.

Otaku is just another on a long list. Aside from the fact I have no desire to use a Japanese word that means fucking loser, it likely wouldn't be accurate even if I wanted to use it in the manner that some outside of Japan insist that it can be.

I'm simply not otaku. I love some shows to death, I won't know a single name of a single voice actor from the show. I won't know the name of just about any show's songs. I have a few minis, and it is mainly accidental, I went to a few cons, and picked up a few stray items as '"I was there souvenirs'. Yeah I'd likely like a few of the clearly pornograde minis out there, and a few of the awesome 'appropriate' minis from some of my favourite shows. I'm simply not dropping 100_ bucks on a little figure. That tends to make me fail the test of the otaku.
Sure I have liked some hentai enough to jack off to some clearly dumb shit. But I sure ain't sleeping with a body pillow image (real females are much more fun).
I am not prone to carrying a back pack all over creation, and I realize a fanny pack is a fashion faux pax. I wish I had enough hair left that it could be unruly :)

I have only one aspect that I insist on claiming that routinely gets a negative response.
My education level is so often so much more considerable than anyone around me, that it regularly causes me grief. It's unavoidable.
I earned my quite considerable expertise in more sciences than I can often recall in a few moments.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 22, 2011 10:12 PM

Jul 2010
never really thought of otaku as being a nerd or anything really i thought it was really another word for cosplaying but i guess im wrong. X)

Oct 24, 2011 1:46 PM

Sep 2009
No and i don't like to be called an otaku, because like furuabes said it's an insult. I simply call myself an "anime fan".

I'm not even your typical anime fan. I've never been to a con and never bought an action figure, i don't have posters, i've never played a visual novel and i rarely talk about anime. To me watching anime is something like a hobby.
I listen to anime music and vocaloid like i listen to any other kind of music, i know some seiyu by name just like i have favourite actors or singers and i like to use original Japanese words over translations. All of this sounds so normal to me, i don't get why i should be differentiated by a fan of something else, like for example a soccer team.
Megpoid-CowardlyMontblancsigsecond05defs
Art by: akka
Oct 25, 2011 4:54 AM

Feb 2009
'Otaku' being a weird term choice likely has something to do with the perception of what one is.

I wonder just how many Japanese guys willingly use the term, as compared with people NOT in Japan wanting to use it as yet another English language term stolen from it's source language.

That IS the problem with English, it is likely the worst language for term theft. Our language has all sorts of linguistics rules, which are immediately ignored. We have several countries termed English language countries, and they all speak an identifiable variant. A Canadian from Newfoundland and a Jamaican and a Kiwi will barely understand each other.

I think if a person feels like a fanatic for something, they should use the word 'fanatic'. It's the one our language prefers eh. It's the full form of the word 'fan'. In English, when you like something more than just a bit, you are a fan or fanatic. Otaku's are not 'fans', they are socially challenged misfits to be shunned. Calling one an otaku in front of a visiting Japanese person won't get the desired response. Any more than a visiting Japanese person won't understand why a person would comprehend why a person wants to be a reject, loser, scumbag, pervert, and any other term that indicates someone to be avoided.

I'd rather put up with Wapanese who can't shut up with their 20 word grasp of Japanese, than have someone constantly making anime fans seem peculiar for their choice of descriptive.

I get enough frustration and grief in my other interests that are NOT my doing coming from idiots and their blind stupidity. IE Satan worshipping role games. Warmongering wargamers. Models meant for kids.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Dec 28, 2016 12:36 AM

Jun 2016
For me idk. Its okay for me if my friends called me otaku.
Tho im not really that nerd that can be label as an otaku in japan since i only watch anime whenever i have time. Same for reading mangas.I dont buy anime figures, CD, stuff for cosplaying and so on. But i do buy anime t-shirt , key chain and such as few mangas sometimes.
I dont buy anime games since i aint a gamer. I can only level my self as anime & manga fan.

Otaku in my country means your a anime and manga lover so its okay for me so im fine with it.
Sep 4, 2018 3:06 PM
Jul 2015
For me an otaku is someone who tries to look like he come out of an anime, manga, or video game. It may be a way of life.

If someone chooses to have that way of life so it's an otaku.
Jan 6, 2019 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
I cringe at anyone not-from-Japan calling themselves an otaku. We have english words that basically mean the same thing: nerd, geek, fanboy. Self labeling yourself as an otaku just seems like a weeaboo thing to do.

Have I been called an otaku before? Yes. Do I consider myself one? No. I speak english, not japanese. I'm a geek.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.