Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 28, 2011 3:14 AM

Oct 2010
13man18 said:
If Menma can make things move, I don't understand why she doesn't prove her existence like that in front of the others.

yeh i was thinking this as well, seems strange.
May 28, 2011 3:45 AM

Oct 2010
Sartaj said:
Yumekichi11 said:
LightningRamiel said:
I also love YukiaTsuruko (and that portmanteau); I wonder if Yukiatsu knows that Tsuruko likes him but doesn't act on it due to his own insecurities/lingering neuroses regarding Menma.
What I am WTF at is why is Tsuruko still thinking Yukiatsu is annoying to be with? I mean hell, he invited her out! Hello? She should have accepted as a sign of something. Right?
She's just being a tease, like all the others!
I am not sure of that because it looked to me like she wants something to change in Yukiatsu but what exactly other than his Menma obsession is a big ? to me.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 28, 2011 3:58 AM

Jun 2009
Now I can't wait for next episode. By the way, the man who was going to help Jintan and his friends didn't mention which Honma got angry at him. It could have been Menma's father as well.
May 28, 2011 4:00 AM
Sep 2010
In the Doki subs the fireworks guy specifically said "he" told him that he couldn't help highschoolers, aka Menma's dad
May 28, 2011 9:10 AM

Sep 2009
I miss cross-dressing Yukiatsu.
May 28, 2011 11:11 AM

Aug 2009
OOOOOOOOOOOOH, i love this OP and END!!!!!
I guess this episode was good but not incredible like someones said!
4/5
Lay on, lay on, lay on, lay on...
May 28, 2011 2:54 PM

Apr 2007
Needs more Tsuruko.

Also, Menma is annoying.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
May 28, 2011 4:06 PM

Oct 2008
Weeks dose of Ano Hana taken! Got my mind of the exams for 20 mins at least... Nice episode as usual!
7 days is just too much.. ahhh =[

May 28, 2011 8:51 PM

Jun 2009
Oh snap I predict massive arguments with Menmom in near future!
May 28, 2011 9:53 PM

Aug 2010
Honma-san? holy SHIIIII

This is getting crazy. Or to quote Eddie Murphy "Shit just got real."
May 29, 2011 1:30 AM

Sep 2010
What I totally don't understand is where the food that Jinta makes for Menma goes to? It seems Menma is able to change things in the real world, as that lamp at the construction site. But if they could see the food, then they would see food floating in the air.
May 29, 2011 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
LOL --> Menmom.

But anyways, I really have to wonder why she prevented the kids from getting the fireworks. She IS Menma's mother after all... so what gives? I hope it's not a case of disillusionment of some sort, heck, just look at the scene where she appears. There's a huge shadow across her face, which in animu law basically means she's got something up her sleeve. That, or A-1 Pictures just likes to mindf*** us. Ain't that a thrill?
May 29, 2011 7:06 AM

Nov 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
LightningRamiel said:
I also love YukiaTsuruko (and that portmanteau); I wonder if Yukiatsu knows that Tsuruko likes him but doesn't act on it due to his own insecurities/lingering neuroses regarding Menma.
What I am WTF at is why is Tsuruko still thinking Yukiatsu is annoying to be with? I mean hell, he invited her out! Hello? She should have accepted as a sign of something. Right?

I don't think she finds him annoying...? The subs that first came out ruined that scene tbh. Actually Tsuruko meant she's tired of keeping up with him, not Yukiatsu himself. These years she's always been working hard to follow and keep up with how well he's doing at studies and etc, so she has to study hard for exams as usual. That line was more of a sweet moment hinting about her unrequited feelings imo. But yeah, I wanted Tsuruko to accept and stop playing hard-to-get too. xD
May 29, 2011 7:32 AM
Jun 2010
xhx said:

guava said:
Why is everybody assuming that Menma's mom is the one stopping them from the fireworks thing? The ending only seemed to imply that she knew about it (as she would because her family is involved with the festival), not that she was doing anything to stop the group. Unless I missed something, the ending seemed open-ended in its implications, but everybody here is jumping to conclusions.

menmom said Is time to stop playing around at the end. so thats why everyone assumes she is the one.

She doesn't say that. She says Jintan + friends are playing around for Menma's sake, which only implies that she knows about the fireworks (which she would if she knows/is the director). Having watched it again, I still see no reason to suspect the Mom of any ill-will. Exactly what she knows, what she is doing, and what her motives are are still all unknown. I don't know how everyone is drawing these conclusions about her character.
May 29, 2011 8:00 AM

Jul 2010
guava said:
xhx said:

guava said:
Why is everybody assuming that Menma's mom is the one stopping them from the fireworks thing? The ending only seemed to imply that she knew about it (as she would because her family is involved with the festival), not that she was doing anything to stop the group. Unless I missed something, the ending seemed open-ended in its implications, but everybody here is jumping to conclusions.

menmom said Is time to stop playing around at the end. so thats why everyone assumes she is the one.

She doesn't say that. She says Jintan + friends are playing around for Menma's sake, which only implies that she knows about the fireworks (which she would if she knows/is the director). Having watched it again, I still see no reason to suspect the Mom of any ill-will. Exactly what she knows, what she is doing, and what her motives are are still all unknown. I don't know how everyone is drawing these conclusions about her character.
???
did not that pyrotechnist say that the fireworks was stopped by Honma-san ( though not clarified menmom or mendad)?
or do you mean it is mislead?
May 29, 2011 11:47 AM

Aug 2008
I love the posters of Kuroshitsuji, Hourou Musuko and Working etc in the shop. Nice touch!

And uhhhh Menma has a creepy mum.
May 29, 2011 3:27 PM

Nov 2009
Glad there is no episode end listed yet... I am really liking this gradual evolution going on by Yadomi.

Anaru and him are so much fun to watch; a tsundere i can stand.
May 29, 2011 4:43 PM

May 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Well sometimes she does take refuge elsewhere such as the base in this episode where she went. I guess she could stay at the base but she went once to her place but can't stand her mom's ways of praying to her, guess she feels so much emotions she knows her mother's deep emotions and it looks to be only suffering to her, that's IMO.

The reason for her to go to the base was to find Jinta :P & She only really went back to her house cause Jinta told her to leave him alone for a while..

I don't think she had any intentions living in her home or the base. Although, I do make an assumption that the base would have been her second choice... I do see your points & agree, she can't stand her mom praying for her(all the time) that may have led her not to be there. But it all comes down to her being able to interact with Jinta - He feeds & talks to her, which anyone else can't do. Also seeing that Jinta's father is barely there, she can do whatever she wants there...

jai88 said:
In the Doki subs the fireworks guy specifically said "he" told him that he couldn't help highschoolers, aka Menma's dad

Ovindel said:
What I totally don't understand is where the food that Jinta makes for Menma goes to? It seems Menma is able to change things in the real world, as that lamp at the construction site. But if they could see the food, then they would see food floating in the air.

This is exactly what I don't get either, lol. I guess it's just one of those things we have to overlook & be dumb about, unless Jinta or Menma ever care to explain later..

guava said:
I don't know how everyone is drawing these conclusions about her character.

People like to draw conclusion or predict about things based on her character from how she was talking to the shrine, while saying what the group is doing is a "joke" in a cold tone..?

Watching it over and I don't think she's "out there" but more so, most pessimistic about their doings, which may cause the firework plan to be canceled as she looks to be the director, even if she isn't, still pretty cold of her to tell her husband to not let them do it.. - Again, all predictions like every show has.. - you don't have to take it to heart...
May 29, 2011 9:34 PM

Aug 2010
If Menma can move a light why not have her move a book or something in front of everybody to show shes really there that way people wouldn't doubt jintan anymore
May 30, 2011 2:51 AM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Sartaj said:
Yumekichi11 said:
LightningRamiel said:
She's just being a tease, like all the others!
I am not sure of that because it looked to me like she wants something to change in Yukiatsu but what exactly other than his Menma obsession is a big ? to me.
His menma-obsession thing is the biggest problem, and he's not over that yet, so she's definitely waiting for him to get over that first, before doing anything.

controlmajortom said:
Did Menmom just call Menma Onee-chan?
that's exactly what's bothering me.

Otherwise, loved this episode, 'specially all those AnjouxJintan moments :P
itssimplymeMay 30, 2011 2:57 AM
May 30, 2011 4:32 AM

Aug 2010
Okay episode, though I wonder what is the mother's agenda, she is suspicious to say the least. 4/5.
May 30, 2011 4:47 AM

Oct 2010
Sebasu said:
Yumekichi11 said:
LightningRamiel said:
I don't think she finds him annoying...? The subs that first came out ruined that scene tbh. Actually Tsuruko meant she's tired of keeping up with him, not Yukiatsu himself. These years she's always been working hard to follow and keep up with how well he's doing at studies and etc, so she has to study hard for exams as usual. That line was more of a sweet moment hinting about her unrequited feelings imo. But yeah, I wanted Tsuruko to accept and stop playing hard-to-get too. xD
Really? She apart from Yukiatsu having a inferiority complex towards Jinta, she has one towards Yukiatsu's studying skills and doing well in school not to mention popularity perhaps?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 30, 2011 10:24 AM

May 2010
Loved those Anjou and Jintan moments. =)

And he's more mature than before.

And what's up with Menma's mom? Anyway, good episode.
May 30, 2011 11:33 AM

Apr 2010
Interesting episode tho hard to believe that Anjou got kicked out by her mother, if your own mother doesn't believe you then who does.
I hope she will restore her relationship with her mother.
I know what Yadomi is referring to when he say's working makes you feel alive it's allot better then sitting at home without a job.
It's nice to have people around you and making money at the same time.

Those guys from there school are pretty sad skipping school so that the can check whether a girl from there school is skipping it to earn some money and then gossip about it.
They should feel ashamed.
May 31, 2011 6:09 AM

May 2010
tsubasalover said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Trying to make Menma's wish come true (which they might found out), and Menma's parents is preventing it. Jintan improved in another level by working!!

Huh but why would she do that ??

May 31, 2011 6:41 AM

Sep 2009
Could anybody tell me how to cook ramen with egg Yadami makes for Menma?
May 31, 2011 10:32 PM

Jul 2010
I'm starting to think that Jinta's mum has something to do with the wish. When Menma knocked her head on the floor after falling off the bed, it triggered a flashback to where Jinta's mum is seen talking to her.

It makes me think that she has some sort of message that his mother wanted to pass onto Jinta, but couldn't. This also makes perfect sense since she called for a meeting for the gang and to have it as a secret from Jinta. Perhaps Menma wanted advice on how to pass on the message before relaying the message to him.

I wonder if this is even close to the truth, but it seems plausible given the events. I think that the Menmom stuff is sort of a diversion mini-arc, though it may also develop some plot progression to get to this theory.

(Or they can have it as a Beautiful Mind-esque twist and it's actually a memory from Jinta himself? Dum dum dum....)
BallistaMay 31, 2011 10:38 PM

Jun 1, 2011 6:43 AM
Jan 2010
Mom confirmed for murderer
Jun 1, 2011 10:09 PM

Jul 2009
This show = so much win
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jun 2, 2011 3:11 AM

Sep 2010
itssimplyme said:
controlmajortom said:
Did Menmom just call Menma Onee-chan?
that's exactly what's bothering me.

Actually, it's kinda normal for a mother in some countries(mostly asian) to call their daughters like they're sisters. However, this does not apply to the English language because that's just plain odd.

@topic, looks like Menma's mother is starting to get over her daughter.
I'm betting that the next episode will be confrontation of Jintan and the gang over Menmom.
Jun 2, 2011 1:05 PM

Apr 2011
I loved this show gets better every episode.
I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed the Working and Hourou Musuko posters in the store. A
And I found it weird that Mennma's mom called her Onee-Chan, doesn't make any sense to me.
Jun 2, 2011 7:46 PM
Jan 2008
guava said:
xhx said:

guava said:

I think menmom was the only one that knows about the fireworks plan. I don't think mendad read his daughter's diary.
Jun 3, 2011 2:40 AM

Jun 2008
wakka9ca said:
Orulyon said:

In Japan parents sometimes call their daughters "onee-chan" which is also commonly used by children to address older girls. It doesn't mean just "big sister" but also somehow means "young lady".

You nearly got it. But your post was a bit confusing. Here is more clarification:

Her mother call her "big sis" since they have a younger son. In other words, it is understood that it's their younger son's big sister. Same thing as a wife might call her husband "father" (yes, it happens quite often in Asian languages) as it refers to "our children's father". I don't think in English they use this kind of names between family members. It can get quite confusing if you are not in context. Then again, some languages are very contextual.

Applause for a correct and well done explanation for you my friend.

The episode had good progress in terms of character development for Anaru and mainly Jin-tan but not much in terms of the wish thing because i doubt the fireworks are the reason she's there.

Btw it's so annoying that Japanese have this bowing thing everywhere. I would feel really uncomfortable if i entered a store and they said welcome to me bowing like that.

And yes like others say, if Menma can move things around and it's not something Jin-tan does then it's really annoying how he doesn't just make her do it in-frond of the others.
Jun 5, 2011 4:19 AM
Apr 2010
Is it me or is Menma becoming to materialize back into human form more and more?
I mean they finally showed her being able to eat (though she was supposed to be a lost soul?)

Also, did you see the Working!! poster in their shop? I loled
Jun 5, 2011 12:54 PM

May 2009
awesome-49 said:
If Menma can move a light why not have her move a book or something in front of everybody to show shes really there that way people wouldn't doubt jintan anymore

then the show will end faster ^_^
Jun 8, 2011 2:31 PM
Sep 2009
A joke eh? Menma's mom needs a hammer to the face.
Jun 9, 2011 9:38 PM
Dec 2010
My gosh... Menma's mom is so mean! She should let these kids do what they want to help out Menma!
Goosey said:
A joke eh? Menma's mom needs a hammer to the face.

Exactly!
Jun 16, 2011 1:06 PM

Mar 2011
Wow, Menma's mum must be really jelous of the affection Menma showed to her friends. She's more messed up than Yukiatsu and his dress!

Goon Jinta and Aneru developments. I hope those two get closer. Maybe that's what Menma wants, 'Truly Madly Deeply' style!
Jun 20, 2011 11:25 PM

Mar 2010
A bit slower paced episode if you ask me. It left me time to think about what was going on and sort of the settling emotions of all the characters. As they edge closer and closer to their solutions, I wonder what awaits them?! It's killing me to know! Looking forward to the next!
Jun 29, 2011 7:07 AM

May 2010
More crying...yay

I think Jin's father is gay.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 15, 2011 12:05 PM

Oct 2009
Beef Curry, Retreat!

I'm starting to get the feeling now that Menma's wish is maybe for Jintan to move on from her death? it seems to be the thing most likely she'd wish for, something to do with Jintan since well, that'd explain why only he can see her. I don't really think Menma wished for the rocket.. although I do hope they get to make it. Since well, it's for Jinta's sake :)
09890Jul 15, 2011 12:20 PM
Jul 20, 2011 3:57 PM

Dec 2009
Well, unfortunately, I think Menma's mom is a bitch now. I don't want to, buuuuuut - to acutely say "Let's stop this now" is really off-putting to me. I thought and/or think she would WANT to have Menma to finally be at peace and rest instead of (obviously) walking around in the "physical world" and having her spirit in purgatory and not crossing over. But, of course, parents could never forget their children - even when they are dead. My mother had to deal with the fact that my 'older' sister died when she was 5-months-old, so even though I could never know the pain of losing your child, at least I have a real world example of it. And, the reason I say this is because it took my Mom until I was 9-years-old in order to confess to me that she finally felt she had moved on with my older sister's death. So, that's a 10-11 year gap from Sandy's death to me being 9-years-old.

But, I do believe that it's not Menma's mom who's in charge of the festival(s), but, Menma's father instead. Because, a mere 2-3 episodes ago, we found out that her father had forced her mother to take out all of Menma's furniture and then box-up everything else - to move on and forget Menma. So, I have no doubt that the father is still forcing the family to move on by not allowing Menma's friends to try and grant her wish - because it would destroy all the effort he has been doing to have the family move on from her death.

Or, yes, Menma's mother is also 'forever obsessing' over Menma and dosen't want her to cross over - because she knows her spirit still roams the city. But, as I said, before - I hope she wants Menma to cross over but the father is not allowing anyone to do that so Menma isn't being obsessed over again.

But, anyways, I think I'm jumping unto the AnjouXJintan bandwagon as well. I think they're developing nicely, too. And, I enjoy MenmaXJintan as well - but it's just not realistic. Cute? Adorable even! Realistic and can acutely happen? Not likely.
Sep 11, 2011 5:34 PM

Dec 2010
Nice episode, I just started watching this anime again. I don't know why Menma's mom screwed her friends' act but it just doesn't feel right.
At this point I'm getting the feeling that everything that Menma's friends are doing will somehow fulfill her wish at the end. In one or another way they're getting closer again, and I wonder if this is what Menma actually want to see fulfilled...
Oct 30, 2011 8:19 PM

Aug 2009
Weird mother..
Nov 19, 2011 1:58 PM

Jul 2010
Beautiful. This is definitely Menma's wish~!

I love this show so much. Menma and Jinta are amazing characters :)

5/5
Nov 19, 2011 2:25 PM

Jul 2011
Meritas said:
Nice episode, I just started watching this anime again. I don't know why Menma's mom screwed her friends' act but it just doesn't feel right.
At this point I'm getting the feeling that everything that Menma's friends are doing will somehow fulfill her wish at the end. In one or another way they're getting closer again, and I wonder if this is what Menma actually want to see fulfilled...

I dont think it was the mom, it was probably the father...

Anyways, I dont think that this is the wish she wants (Letter to god), its probably Jinta confessing to Menma or that the 5 keep spending time with each other and be as close with each other like before Menma died..
Nov 24, 2011 1:03 PM

Jul 2010
now i have a feeling fireworks are related to her death, with the way they were talking at the end,.

Dec 1, 2011 6:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Never though that Menma's family would play an important role. Why stop the fireworks?

And what's with the secret meeting that Menma called? Sounds important.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2011 3:52 PM

Aug 2011
Marzan said:
Never though that Menma's family would play an important role. Why stop the fireworks?

And what's with the secret meeting that Menma called? Sounds important.

took the words right out of my mouth, it probably has to to with Jinta's mom and menma did want Jinta to find out is what im guessing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2011 6:19 AM

Nov 2008
"Beef Curry, Retreat!"

Lol gotta say that part was funny xD

And i don't really understand what's wrong with Menma's mama
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

389 by Grimenio »»
Apr 30, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xity - Apr 28, 2011

319 by Grimenio »»
Apr 28, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

387 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.