Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2011 8:46 AM

Nov 2007
I was anticipating this series from its announcement. I eagerly watched the first episode... only to find out the "wars" are just a fancy gymnastics event. A douchy guy running around with a staff doing little more than callisthenics for the most part.

The character design is gorgeous, the artwork is great, the all star cast delivers, but the setting and story are really disappointing. Not that I will stop watching it, because it's a mimi series, but I'm still quite underwhelmed the "war" was some tame rubbish. People don't die, they just turn in to little furballs. Yeah. Great.

Maybe things will pick up and it will turn in to a real war, that would be nice. I guess we just have to wait and see.
Apr 25, 2011 10:18 AM

Jan 2008
They mentioned real wars, and the fact that you can't hold those Takashi Castle type wars anywhere. Unless it's one of the sacred battlegrounds, you can get hurt, and die. So yeah, we might get an actual war.
Apr 25, 2011 10:42 AM

Apr 2010
After watching 2 episodes of this i am pretty sure that the male lead will end up in a romantic relationship with the green haired girl.
When i saw that war i almost that i was seeing it wrong this Anime is very innocent even childish to some point.
Tho i do agree whit DmonHiro that it might end up with a battlefield where dead actually happens, i think that someone in a future episode will start breaking the rules and that our hero's will have to solve it.

I also think the male lead is to much of a showoff he is posing all the time and seems to be thinking pretty highly of himself.
Apr 25, 2011 5:36 PM

Jun 2009
DmonHiro said:
They mentioned real wars, and the fact that you can't hold those Takashi Castle type wars anywhere. Unless it's one of the sacred battlegrounds, you can get hurt, and die. So yeah, we might get an actual war.

Doubt it.

4 episodes now and I can't see how this light and fluffy anime could give a real war setting.

Don't know the beef about war, I mean why are you people so violent and brute?
Apr 25, 2011 6:07 PM

Nov 2007
-Quasar said:

There's no point in fighting if nothing is actually at risk or lost. Real war is a much better motivation for some proper story development, instead of fluff.
Apr 25, 2011 7:13 PM

Oct 2009
Asako said:
-Quasar said:

There's no point in fighting if nothing is actually at risk or lost. Real war is a much better motivation for some proper story development, instead of fluff.

Agreed. When a War is just an athletics competition it isn't a war. There is no Glory in victory there, just bragging rights. Well really, there hasn't been glory in victory of war since Guns were created...
Apr 25, 2011 7:19 PM

Jun 2010
The story with their war is that they "battle" and whoever wins it, wins their side of the agreement. Like one side wanted green onions, and the other side wanted nachos, the team that wanted nachos won so they have nachos.

Otherwise, I don't really like the plot of the anime so far, but hey, it might get better.
Apr 25, 2011 7:28 PM

Mar 2010
I'm probably the only one, but I quite enjoy the story and plot as a whole. Even the way they do battle/war.

It's new, unique and original imho.
(It seems most people just can't deal with things unless its cliche or "overly-already-done")
Apr 25, 2011 7:55 PM

Feb 2008
even the adults seem to play along. i think they all find this method to be more preferable since everyone plays along. there is also probably a reason why they don't try to deviate from this.
Apr 25, 2011 8:13 PM

Feb 2009
So this is a mellowed out version of Mai-Otome?
Apr 25, 2011 9:38 PM

Jun 2009
Asako said:
-Quasar said:

Apparently, war has a different definition in this anime.
Apr 26, 2011 5:16 AM

Sep 2010
imo this kind of war is better than the kind than we have :D.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2011 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
would be funny if the protective spell broke and people started to die during the next "war". "SHIT JUST GOT REAL!!".
May 18, 2011 1:33 AM
Jun 2008
Having gotten seven episodes into this Anime and honestly planning on watching it to the end, I have to say I don't fly with this fake war stuff. It is utterly ridiculace. It isn't so much that their definition is different, but the idea that life is fine and dandy for everyone for such a long period of time, none of what we would call wars, no theifs, no murders, no apparent illness. I would estimate that the amount of time spent talking about dark stuff is about only thirty seconds to a minute each episode if that.

I also have a problem with the fact that the main character is inhumanily athletic. Sorry... but he jumps in the real world from twenty feet off the ground or higher to the ground below. If this were some storyline where a LOT of the characters happen to have extreeme athletics about them, then I would say that it wouldn't be so bad. But they have him participating in an event which looks like that show wipe out, that really athletic people struggle to get through, and they let him in despite him being thirteen or younger. I honestly don't buy it.

I think that is the biggest problem with this show, none of it is really realistic, including the characters interactions with each other. I know that they say many times that the main character has the flaw of being an idiot and even childish, but that is the other thing that bothered me, was the fact that they say he is an idiot and childish about things, despite the fact most people wouldn't have found the actions to be stupid.

I'm going to finish it, simply because I get the idea that there is going to be an attempt for a dark turn and I want to see how well they pull it off, because at this point... it is overly fluffy... a major disapointment, and this is me having yet again not set my expectations high for a show.
May 19, 2011 2:54 AM

Jun 2009
I think it would be pretty epic if they suddenly stopped the fake war that they have going and started killing each other... Maybe I just think it would be funny, but the fake war they have going is pretty lame.
Not Found (aka 404)

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, or must not exist ...

... but you're always welcome to search for it.
May 19, 2011 3:48 PM

Jun 2008
I think it's fantastic. XD I don't know, I like cute things and I hate war, so I don't have a problem with it. xD;
Did you seriously see the picture for this and all the cutesy character designs and think this was going to be about a real, serious, bloody war?
Jul 14, 2012 8:09 PM

May 2012
I don't like the "fake" wars... It's just way too goofy and made me almost drop this series from episode 2! Currently I'm 3 episodes in and I skipped through most of it to see if there is any hint of seriousness, but so far there isn't. Perhaps someday when I'm in the mood I'll finish this series, but for now it will remain on-hold.

Please note: I'm not trying to start a fight by saying this anime is bad or anything, this is just my opinion of the anime so far.

Jul 16, 2012 10:49 PM

Nov 2010
When the first episode came out, I watched it and was kind of pissed off about their idea of war and dropped it. But I realized that the person who created it wasn't making fun of war and is just putting a different spin, you know a what if scenario on it so when it had finished I decided to watch it fully, and while I did kind of get angry at their attitude towards war and kidnapping people, but it was kind of refreshing to not have those depressing episodes where somebody is dying slowly in someone elses arms, just fighting with good graphics where everyone gets to go home in the end. I did not like the fact that it didn't matter how many soldiers you had its basically the heros that win the war nobody else matters. They did make it so there was a underlying more serious issue in the show, which was resolved by the end of the series. And a good lead in to a new season.
Jul 18, 2012 1:31 PM

Jan 2012
I think the setting is great.

Flonyard itself has this cool fantasy-feel that also has hints of technology. The floating islands and castles and neat animals make the world a pretty interesting place and seems like a fun and safe place to live. It's kind of like Gensokyo (where Touhou takes place) but even more colorful and far safer for the average inhabitant.

I enjoy the fact that the wars themselves don't actually hurt people, since it allows for the series to have lots of action without different fans with different favorite characters being upset that their favorite character was beaten and hurt by another character they hate, and they don't have to worry about their favorite characters being killed.

Still, there is danger in Flonyard outside of the magical barriers or whatever they call it, like they explained in the first season where they said people can be attacked by monsters when they are away from the cities and battlefields. It's like in Tsuzuki's other works of Nanoha where they can set up magical barriers to wage their battles in the cities without actually destroying the city itself. Yes, it's a cheap excuse for not wanting to write about the repercussions of magical people destroying the lives of many citizens just so they can fight, but if the author had to add those elements to the story it would detract from the main draw which are the battles and character interactions.

It allows the author to work on making the battles fun and exciting to watch without making the show get too mature or dark. If you are watching Dog Days wanting the different characters to be seriously injured or killed, you are watching the wrong show. Dog Days is supposed to be light-hearted and safe and fun for all (as long as they can stand a little fan-service), not dark and psudo-edgy so teenagers going through their goth phase can think they're hardcore by watching it.
GregZor9Jul 18, 2012 1:38 PM
Jul 25, 2012 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
I dislike the setting but because it's all fluff and nice at least the hero won't start worrying about killing peoiple and stuff

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dog Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 11, 2011

65 by ZenielDanaku »»
Feb 3, 1:43 PM

» Why the heck is the animation looks good in this anime??

RjtheGreat14 - Jul 26, 2023

8 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Dog Days Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Jun 25, 2011

131 by KempachiZaraki »»
Jul 19, 2023 4:23 AM

» will Dogdays get seaon 4 or it was canceled after season 3 finished airing

FL-SYNC - Apr 21, 2023

3 by Dorkave »»
Jun 9, 2023 6:56 PM

» Does dog days have any romance?

FlamingMangos - Feb 26, 2014

5 by Prizma10 »»
Dec 30, 2021 10:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.